Type keyword(s) to search

Aaron Hotchner: High and Tight

• Start Topic

I read the suit, and am confused about what Gibson's behavior had anything to do with the breach of contract.  Either he did, or he didn't.  What difference does it make that the manager thought Gibson was a dick?  And why put that in the suit?  Would the breach of contract be nullified if Gibson was a good guy?

Almost all actors can be capable of narcism and bad behavior, same with managers and agents.  I don't think it is fair or kind to throw that into the mix.

That said, I love Gibson's performance as Hotch, and find him believable.  Currently in the middle of season 5 on netflix, stopped watching in real time after that.  I'm interested to see how I feel after s9.

• Love 3

I read the suit, and am confused about what Gibson's behavior had anything to do with the breach of contract.  Either he did, or he didn't.  What difference does it make that the manager thought Gibson was a dick?  And why put that in the suit?  Would the breach of contract be nullified if Gibson was a good guy?

Almost all actors can be capable of narcism and bad behavior, same with managers and agents.  I don't think it is fair or kind to throw that into the mix.

That said, I love Gibson's performance as Hotch, and find him believable.  Currently in the middle of season 5 on netflix, stopped watching in real time after that.  I'm interested to see how I feel after s9.

I think the listing of all the things the manager did for Gibson was to support the "Quantum Meruit" claim, which, if I understand it correctly is a alternative claim that the manager is making.  Basically he is saying "hey judge if you don't find that there was a contract, here is all the many, many things I did for Gibson for which I deserve to get paid even without a contract, because the services I provided him were of value.  $480,000 worth of value, even without a contract which stipulated the exact amount"

• Love 1

I think it was almost a way for the manager to try to blackmail Thomas because if he doesn't settle it will go to court and the details and accusations will be brought up to humiliate him and his family. It is basically playing dirty and he's trying to hurt Thomas.  If the guy wanted compensation for doing things outside of his position as manager, then he shouldn't have said he did things as a friend because that actually hurts his case. Friends do things for others because they are friends and care about them-- not because they expect financial compensation.

• Love 3

I think it was almost a way for the manager to try to blackmail Thomas because if he doesn't settle it will go to court and the details and accusations will be brought up to humiliate him and his family. It is basically playing dirty and he's trying to hurt Thomas.  If the guy wanted compensation for doing things outside of his position as manager, then he shouldn't have said he did things as a friend because that actually hurts his case. Friends do things for others because they are friends and care about them-- not because they expect financial compensation.

I think that may be the practical reason, but the facts in the complaint have to trace back to a legal claim for damages. I'm not sure if a managers job is to soothe over workplace difficulties, and help keep situations like DUIs quiet by picking you up or if thats just supposed to be like an "added service" to try to keep you a client -- I guess thats going to be part of what they will potentially fight about in court.  The judge would probably be upset if he asked the attorney about why he listed the facts in the complaint and he didn't get an answer back that reflected a sound legal reason for including the facts in the complaint.

I'm betting there will be some sort of settlement with a gag order as part of the deal. I'm also betting that is what the manager banked on happening. Because if it actually went to court, I think the manager might have had a hard time proving his case (unless he can convince the judge and/or jury that he's telling the truth about the alleged verbal agreement and present some sort of proof-- something I'm guessing he might not actually have) but that he knows Thomas will want to avoid the embarrassment and strain on his family and will want to settle things quietly.

• Love 2

I'm betting there will be some sort of settlement with a gag order as part of the deal. I'm also betting that is what the manager banked on happening. Because if it actually went to court, I think the manager might have had a hard time proving his case (unless he can convince the judge and/or jury that he's telling the truth about the alleged verbal agreement and present some sort of proof-- something I'm guessing he might not actually have) but that he knows Thomas will want to avoid the embarrassment and strain on his family and will want to settle things quietly.

I think you're probably right in that it will be settled.  If the managers claim for Quantum Meruit is that all of those acts he claimed to have done in the complaint, he really did, and that those actions (soothing over the other members of the CM cast and crew after fights with Gibson, soothing ruffled feathers for various directors and producers, helping out with the DUI by driving Gibson from the scene, working to get Gibson cast in roles in spite of the Captain Vanilla moniker--which, what does that even mean?) are valuable in that most actors pay someone to do those things for them.  That would mean he would potentially need to subopena and depose the other actors on the set that Gibson got into fights with, the directors and producers.  And those depositions would deal with such ugly things.

For a guy who makes $4.8 million per year, and is probably going to want to work again its worth it just to pay $480,000 to not have those things out in public.  Gibson is in his early 50's, he is a good looking guy, and with his good looks and long term role in a CBS drama, he is ripe to be a product spokesperson.  Probably for the Hartford or something.  And thats big money.  But those companies want a guy like Gibson who is only known to most of the audience as Hotchner, the no-nonsense, good looking, tough on the outside, soft on the inside, family man who lost his wife and is raising his son on his own.  They do not want someone that their audience thinks is just some entitled asshat who argues with everyone on the set because he thinks he is better than everyone.

• Love 1

Reality, I don't think an actor the caliber of TG will be trying to be a commercial spokesman for an insurance company. I think he'd rather do dinner theater in Branson, MO, even if he will be putting 2 kids through college soon. He's an actor, who wants to go as far as he possibly can in real projects, whether TV or movies. Early 50s for a handsome man in Hollywood is prime time, especially for TV.

• Love 1

As genial as Thomas appears to be in real life, and as much as I liked him as Greg, I still love him best as Hotch. I think it's his best role of his entire career. 

I just watched Pleasure Is My Business again and it would just be... criminal... if he left to go sell insurance. Also doesn't he have 3 kids? I thought there was a daughter and two sons...

• Love 2

Yeah, I think he does have 3, my point is he's an actor, not a shill for insurance (I'm sure you agree)! The only actors i see doing commercials for reverse mortgages and the like are either old and infirm (and lucky to get the work) or middle-aged and unpopular. Those jobs are also one-shots or short term contracts. He wouldn't be making enough to pay his mortgage with that as his only income...

• Love 1

Yeah, unless you're Dennis Haysbert with that baritone voice or James Earl Jones who is still making millions from saying three words "This is CNN", there aren't many jobs out there for that kinda thing. 

And yes normasm, I do agree I don't want to see him shillin'. ;)

• Love 1

Network ID like JEJ does is one thing, but I doubt he makes megabucks on that. Dennis Haybert probably makes some dough on the Allstate commercials, true, but he also is constantly working on real acting jobs. To me, the implication was that TG would be keeping his nose clean so that someone like the Hartford would hire him to be their spokesperson, as if, post CM, he's washed up and can only get this kind of job. Granted, RealityGal probably didn't mean this - [and I'm not saying you did, RG = ) ] -  but i'm just saying I don't think TG is even thinking about trying to get that kind of job.

• Love 1

Reality, I don't think an actor the caliber of TG will be trying to be a commercial spokesman for an insurance company. I think he'd rather do dinner theater in Branson, MO, even if he will be putting 2 kids through college soon. He's an actor, who wants to go as far as he possibly can in real projects, whether TV or movies. Early 50s for a handsome man in Hollywood is prime time, especially for TV.

That would be an idiotic move on his part.  Being a spokesperson is the easiest money a person can get.  An actor can continue to act because those commercials are a one day gig, and they tend to pay in the millions especially if you become synonymous with the product.  Almost every big name actor/celebrity is trying to get a deal to become a spokesperson for a company for that very reason.  Morgan Freeman, Samuel Jackson, Lawrence Fishburne, Charalize Thereon, Julia Roberts, Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Aniston and Katie Holmes are all celebrities who do commercial work.  Despite the fact that they aren't real projects.

Commercials are steady work, especially if you become part of a company's brand you'll have work for years, and he would be moronic to automatically write off being an insurance spokesperson just because he considers himself too good for anything besides real projects.  Once CM ends, the easiest way for him to remain in front of his target audience is to actually be on TV portraying the same character traits that he has as Hotchner.  That type of "character" is most often found in the realm of insurance. 

If TG is under the impression he is better than the likes of Sam Jackson, Morgan Freeman and Lawrence Fishburne, to the point that he is will only do real projects, I think he is sorely mistaken.

ETA: I did some research, and while Haysbert's salary from Allstate isn't published, Flo from Progressive Insurance makes half a million a year.  Matt Damon got paid $3 million to be in one Nespresso ad.  Haysbert is somewhere in the middle, at the time he was in the Allstate commercial, he was an actor from a popular show (24) and both him and his voice were recognizable and carried authority.  But he certainly isn't as famous as Matt Damon, although Damon wasn't paid to really be a spokesperson, as much as to simply appear in one commercial for 20 seconds.  So, I would speculate that Haysbert, makes about 1.5 - 2.0 million per year for his commercial work for Allstate.  That is 1.5 - 2.0 million dollars for what amounts to about 2-3 days of work per year.  TG makes 4.8 million per year for CM.  Which requires months of taping.  So, in 2-3 days, Haysbert ostensibly makes over 1/3 of what TG makes in months of work.  And Haysbert has the freedom to do other ad work if he wants to (he does a few voice overs), or pursue any other acting job that he wants.

Edited by RealityGal

Network ID like JEJ does is one thing, but I doubt he makes megabucks on that. Dennis Haybert probably makes some dough on the Allstate commercials, true, but he also is constantly working on real acting jobs. To me, the implication was that TG would be keeping his nose clean so that someone like the Hartford would hire him to be their spokesperson, as if, post CM, he's washed up and can only get this kind of job. Granted, RealityGal probably didn't mean this - [and I'm not saying you did, RG = ) ] -  but i'm just saying I don't think TG is even thinking about trying to get that kind of job.

I'm not sure about that, normasm. The subject has come up in the commercial section of the forums, why famous people are doing commercial work when they're already rolling in money. Hell, Charlize Theron is shilling for Dior perfume (in some of the most ridic ads I've ever seen, which is neither here or there) and she's an Oscar winner. I'm not saying Thomas wants to be a spokesperson because I don't know the man, but I don't think becoming one would mean he was washed up either. JMO. :-)

• Love 1

Cobalt, you and RealityGal do make good points (and I think Willowy was in there somewhere). I guess I'm just saying TG wouldn't be going for that kind of work after he left CM, he'd be looking for another series. Getting a commercial campaign like Samuel L. has would pay a lot of bills in between projects, so, yeah, he'd be stupid to turn down good offers. If he has a good agent, that guy will be looking for deals like that. If he has a good agent...

For instance, I really love tina Fey's American Express ads, they're humorous and she's cute.

• Love 1

I asked this in the Rossi thread as well, and it's a fun trip down CM's creepy but addictive and compelling memory lane: What are some of your very favorite Hotch moments of the series?

Just a few that leap to mind:

-Calmly informing JJ and Elle that he was a "nerd" as a kid who collected coins. (Won't Get Fooled Again)

-Making sure Reid is okay after their charade in LDSK

-Telling Reid he can talk to him about his nightmares any time (The Popular Kids) 

-Sending Garcia a thank you gift on Gideon's behalf 

-Letting his younger brother know that he'll support the path he's taking (The Tribe)

-Washing the blood off the walls of Elle's apartment before she returns home (The Fisher King)

-His quiet but poignant goodbye to Elle 

-Nearly every scene in Ashes and Dust! 

-Showing up at Emily's apartment (In Name and Blood)

-Responding to Strauss' reminder that they've jeopardized chances at a promotion with "why would I ever want to leave the BAU?" (In Name and Blood...clearly one of my favorite Hotch episodes!)

-Making sure JJ is okay and telling her it's okay to let things get to her (Birthright)

-Sitting compassionately with the female Unsub in Pleasure is My Business 

I know I'm forgetting about a zillion of them, so I'm excited to see what you guys come up with.  

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 3

I asked this in the Rossi thread as well, and it's a fun trip down CM's creepy but addictive and compelling memory lane: What are some of your very favorite Hotch moments of the series?

Just a few that leap to mind:

-Calmly informing JJ and Elle that he was a "nerd" as a kid who collected coins. (Won't Get Fooled Again)

-Making sure Reid is okay after their charade in LDSK

-Telling Reid he can talk to him about his nightmares any time (The Popular Kids) 

-Sending Garcia a thank you gift on Gideon's behalf 

-Letting his younger brother know that he'll support the path he's taking (The Tribe)

-Washing the blood off the walls of Elle's apartment before she returns home (The Fisher King)

-His quiet but poignant goodbye to Elle 

-Nearly every scene in Ashes and Dust! 

-Showing up at Emily's apartment (In Name and Blood)

-Responding to Strauss' reminder that they've jeopardized chances at a promotion with "why would I ever want to leave the BAU?" (In Name and Blood...clearly one of my favorite Hotch episodes!)

-Making sure JJ is okay and telling her it's okay to let things get to her (Birthright)

-Sitting compassionately with the female Unsub in Pleasure is My Business 

I know I'm forgetting about a zillion of them, so I'm excited to see what you guys come up with.  

Yes, to all of these, especially Hotch washing the blood of Elle's wall (my favorite CM moment), Hotch with Megan Kane in Pleasure is My Business and Hotch with Reid at the end of LDSK.

Then there's Hotch telling Emily he doesn't remember being stabbed by Foyet "everything went dark" when we see he remembers it all. Really all of him in Nameless, Faceless.

When Hotch tells Elle to find a way to not let the job eat you up at the end of Unfinished Business,

Hotch speaking to the unsub at the end of Hanley Waters, reassuring her that her son was not forgotten by the people who tried to save him and failed that day, and that he did not die only remembering bad things about his mom.

Hotch walking in on Reid doing Physics Magic for the ladies and only slightly admonishing him and turns it into a compliment, "you're really starting to get some distance on these things."

In Natural Born Killer when he says it isn't any wonder that some people who have grown up in abusive homes grow up to become killers. Perotta says, "Some people?" And Hotch replies, "And some people grow up to catch them."

In Seven Seconds when after solving the case he shows up at Haley's door to spend time with Jack and just watches him sleeping so sweetly. Good quote there, too.

In Penelope when he tells the team, "I don't care if this is assigned to us. I don't care if we have other cases we're working. We don't touch another case until we find who did this."

In Damaged when he's strong with Chester Hardwicke, but then opens up to Reid in the car on the way home about Haley wanting a divorce.

The court scene in Tabula Rasa where he stands up to the prosecutor.

Hotch in pain in the Angel Maker, especially that scene with the doctor where he pleads like a little boy with her to sign his return to duty paper.

In Demonology when Emily comes to him all upset because her friend has died, he says, "whatever you need." No hesitation.

The Halloween scenes with Jack in Devil's Night

• Love 3

I actually think that before Haley left him, Hotch didn't think he was a bad husband or father but he knew he could be better. He wanted to give his family more but didn't really know how without quitting his job. And he was a bit blindsided by Haley leaving because she changed. I know Jessica gave him lip about his profiling abilities and not seeing what was going on with Haley-- but in that case he was too close to it to think objectively. 

This is an old post, but ION is airing Machismo right now, and its worth noting that Haley's changing had already begun, because she tells him that its okay for him to go in that way that someone tells you that something is fine when its very much not fine. And I think Hotch actually heard "It's not okay" even though he tells Jessica "She said it was fine", which is what leads Jessica to roll her eyes at him and say "You're a hell of a profiler." IMO, it would have been more interesting, not to mention less eventually crushing for Aaron, if the show hadn't resorted to the trope of "spouse realizes that the person they married still has the job they had before the wedding" if he and Haley had been able to have a happy, solid marriage, that balance between career and family that JJ and Will seem to manage without even talking about it.

• Love 2

Cobalt, Haley also is signaling her anger when she tells Aaron, "It's your wife" when she hands him the phone. I understand why they did all that, but since Gideon says to him, "I know you're taking the weekend off" I always want Hotch to say, "This is my weekend off. You and the team can handle this one without me." and then not leave Haley and Jack.

• Love 2

I really didn't like how bitchy Jessica got with Hotch for having to leave in "Machismo" because it was HIS birthday-- not Haley's. I can see her being mad if it had been Jack's birthday or Haley's birthday or her birthday...

I don't think I've Aaron so consistently tightly wound and snappish as he is in Limelight. It's just relentless with him in that one. Even in 100 he has moments of deep vulnerability.

On the plus side, lots of ReidxMaps! And Reid calls Rossi "David". And it's the diner scene with Morgan and Prentiss so I keep waiting for the waitress to bring over the gigantic pen. xD 

• Love 3

That's one of my absolute favourite episodes! I would love to see Hotch in the courtroom again. And I also always think of the way they showed Reid in the flashback as a complete rookie wearing the same sweater he wore in the pilot episode yet showing great profiling skill and a lovely, gentle way with the distraught Mr Corbett.  That has always fuelled my anger when in later seasons they reduced Reid to the spouter of facts and the recipient of eye  rolls.

Edited by Old Dog
  • Love 5

Now we're up to Lo-Fi, and Garcia's right, Kate does look almost exactly like Haley. Aaron seemed a little sparkly around her, more smiley than he'd normally be when meeting a colleague. Emily's tone when she tells JJ, "They....liaised together when she was with Scotland Yard" is still making me snicker. The only thing she didn't do was make air quotes.

• Love 4

I think Pleasure is My Business may be my very favorite Hotch episode. I'm watching it again tonight. Ashes and Dust is probably a very close second, though. And I love him in Angel maker as well. And in Birthright. And LDSK. And Minimal Loss. And... 

I love all of those, too. I love how tender he is with Megan Cain in Pleasure is My Business.

The Angel Maker

4258.png

Pleasure is My Busines

416215.png

LDSK

1673.png

Ashes and Dust

219244.png

• Love 4

The scene of Hotch pwning the defense attorney in "Tabula Rasa" was probably one of my alltime favorite Hotch scenes. I LOVE that bit. He managed to be polite about it and be totally serious and professional in a situation where others might have openly gloated and smiled.

• Love 2

Hotch does some things left-handed but also does others right-handed. I believe he holds his firearm right-handed, but signs documents left-handed.

I'm right-handed but I used to wear a watch on my right wrist. It was an awesome Casio one with a calculator on it.

• Love 2

Inneresting! I do a lot of right-y things too (it's a right-handed world, you know), and when I was a kid, my parents would have to help me with my watch and they put it on my left wrist. One day I put it on myself and without thinking put it on my right, where I've worn it since.

Gonna have to watch for Hotch's ambidexterity... Will help pass the time during all the upcoming JJ stories.

• Love 3

I'm really missing Hotch lately. I actually feel like he's been just as marginalized as Reid. Whenever I watch episodes from S1-S4, I fall in love with this character all over again. I love how he was so fierce but kind, abrupt and terse yet also kind of a chivalrous, old-fashioned gentleman, somber yet with a really sly wit, stoic yet with hints of a very deep emotional undercurrent, etc. And I really, really loved and miss his relationships with Reid, Gideon and even Emily. 

• Love 9