Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 12/08/14

Athena
  • Start Topic

I think what Whoopi was actually saying was "it doesn't affect me personally so I don't give shit."

Yes, but I would add "unless someone tries to torture some of my celebrity friends -  THEN I have a problem". 

Does Whoopi not like Frozen because of its pro-female, sisterhood plot? She does seem anti-woman everytime she speaks on issues that women face.

Maybe because it's such a high grossing movie, and not one that SHE did a voice for?   But seriously, the reason parents of girls are so enamored of "Frozen"  is that it features princesses (which some girls love) BUT not the "someday my prince will come" story line. 

Whoopi made a big deal of the fact that the little girls visited by a REAL princess, didn't understand, and were expecting a Disney princess.  Really?  4 year olds are supposed t be well-versed on another country's  system of royalty? When you are  4, "princess" = disney character.   period.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 4

I want to complain to ABC about the farting. Honestly, is there no delay or standards on this show? And if Whoopi can't stop farting onstage she needs to manage what she eats before the show. I had to fast-forward past most of the torture discussion-I'm on appalling news overload and I just can't take it anymore.

She didn't actually fart, she just made a "big show" in response to a loud noise (equipment falling).

In Chicago, the local station cut into The View for a gubernatorial press conference, and then right as they returned, RO was saying something about "I want to share my journey, so other people can try to get there too." She had said something about health risks and almost dying just before that. Can anyone clue me in? I'll go back and watch it online if it's something I would find valuable.

(For the record, I began my own healthier journey after RO was a guest last year and talked about the five warning signs of female heart attacks. I'm around her age and thought, Wow, this could really happen to me. I've lost 40something pounds since then and while I still have a lot to go, my doctor says my heart is in good condition and my blood pressure and glucose levels are down, and nearly normal. So for that, I am eternally grateful to Rosie O. If you're interested, she said the five warning signs go by her own acronym, HEPPP -- Hot(ter than you've ever been in your life), Exhausted (more than you've ever been in your life), Pale complexion, Pain (like a mo'fo') and Puking.)

She was talking about her surgery for weight loss, the reason, etc., so you didn't miss much. It's hard to lose the weight & it's good that you did it & are on the path to excellent health.

• Love 3

Good afternoon everybody,

I have moved a lot of posts today and hidden some others.  Please make sure you guys have read and understand the mod notes.

We'll give this a few more days of moving posts to the correct place, in case that will help you guys figure out what to post where.  After that though, we will just delete posts that don't follow the guidelines in the mod note.

As always, if you have any questions, you can PM me and add Athena to the conversation or you can post a question on the Mod Annoucements thread.

Thank you.

Well, there they were - the repub talking points - - front and center.

Major kudos to the Rosies for their reasoned responses to NW - I just wish they had taken her to task on the force feeding vs tubes up your anus business.  I get NW likes and is attached to Bush, but that should have been separated from the ethical problems using terrorism.  Still not the worst discussion of the issue.

I am discounting WG completely in this discussion,  Her comment was fatuous and didn't belong to the discussion at all.

• Love 9

Whoopi is an attention whore - the fart stuff, the contrarian viewpoint, VG voice - whatever gets the attention on her.  And she feels threatened by anyone she perceives is smarter, more talented, than she; so whatever Rosie is for she's against. I admire RO's restraint. She's learned that a soft touch yields better results long term. 

"A gentle hand may lead
even an elephant by a hair." 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 9

In Chicago, the local station cut into The View for a gubernatorial press conference, and then right as they returned, RO was saying something about "I want to share my journey, so other people can try to get there too."  She had said something about health risks and almost dying just before that.  Can anyone clue me in?  I'll go back and watch it online if it's something I would find valuable.

She will be talking about her weight loss surgery and other health related topics. I think (maybe) she referenced that some guests would be on also. Maybe doctors or other health related people. I am sure that she said will be talking about herself.

She will be talking about her weight loss surgery and other health related topics. I think (maybe) she referenced that some guests would be on also. Maybe doctors or other health related people.

Rosie's opinion is that the weight-loss surgery she had is the ONLY way.  She said she'll be having her doctor/surgeon on the show soon to discuss it.

Rosie's opinion is that the weight-loss surgery she had is the ONLY way. She said she'll be having her doctor/surgeon on the show soon to discuss it.

Really? I lost 50 lbs on Weight Watchers and gave kept if off without surgery. I don't begrudge anyone who feels they need the surgery - whatever works. But, not everyone is unable to follow a healthy diet and lose weight without needing to surgically reduce the size of their stomach.

I don't agree with torture at all, and it's been proven to not be effective, even is someone does feel it's justified.

The thing I am torn about is why we would publicly release the reports to the world, and put people in dither danger. I no way feel we should go against our values and torture, but we're releasing these reports to but cases who blow up buildings of innocent people or behead doctors and journalists. I think the releasing of the reports could incite more attacks.

I agree with Rosie in principle, but for me she is extreme and still sees no difference between a soldier sent to war , and the sickos who did blow up the twin towers or behead people. Then again, she believes any conspiracy theory. i don't disagree with her that Bush and our gov can do shady things and the Iraq war was a crime, but she seems to have a very simplistic view of the world in general. She seems to live in a fantasy works at times and doesn't get the reality of what is going on. Life is not a 70's sitcom or Disney movie. The sickos in the world who would shoot a young girl if she went to school or was raped, or cut someone's head off to make a point , are not people we can reason with, they at times only are dealt with sadly with war- not torture- but war. She seems to think war is never the answer, but how does she feel Hitler should gave been dealt with?

Whoopi unlike Rosie is just selfish and egotistical, she doesn't care about anything but her own ego and her celebrity buddies. I may mot agree with Nicole, or Rosie at times, but at l say they show some care, and just don't worry about getting a pay check while they sit very lazy on the panel and talk down to everyone because they are the know it all celebrities .

Edited by goldenpuppy
  • Love 4

Ashanti bugged me! And, I really enjoyed her 2000'ish songs with Ja Rule. The women (all but RP) drooled over her like she was an amazing guest. Flawless dress, hair, and makeup, but soooooooooo boring. She said nothing during hot topics, just tried to look intelligent and darted her eyes back and forth as other people were speaking.

Well, she did start to say one thing -- she doesn't trust flu shots and won't get one! Anyone have Nick Cannon's number? He's been on a lot of talk shows discussing the importance of flu shots. Maybe he can explain.

Love "Santa Baby," but Ashanti's shimmying and Marilyn Monroe wiggling gave me second-hand embarrassment.

As for WG's fart bit -- yes, it's a reaction to a stage noise, but c'mon man, enough with the gas jokes. She does it all.the.damn.time. Are 10 year old boys now the target demographic for "The View"? Just once, instead of enabling her, I wish the co-hosts and audience would sit in stone-faced silence. It'd be fabulous to watch the Whoopster slink back to her seat.

• Love 6

Good golly. Whoopi is absolutely useless when the panel is discussing the CIA torture report. Somebody needs to cut her mike. 

And for her to say that the photographic evidence of the torture could have been photoshopped is reprehensible. Everybody involved has acknowledged that horrendous torturous acts took place. 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 9

Today the guest host gave the lame argument for torture.... she said... if someone had my child I would do anything I had to to get them back.. or get information on where they are..... which is total bullshit.... if her child was taken... she would call the police. Also, If like she said... she would torture someone to find her child... that would be her choice.... but if she made the choice to step over the legal line... she would have to pay the price.

That is what I hope this report is used for..... to hold the people who went too far..... in actions and orders be held accountable for stepping over the line...... There is no justification for torture.... none.... and it has to be said out loud.... there was no smoking gun... there was no attack that was stopped.... there was nothing gained from torture.... other than the satisfaction that those people were dehumanized.

One other thing... there were over 120 people tortured by America (Not 3 like Nicholle wants us to believe).... and almost 25% of them were completely INNOCENT and had no intelligence to share.... that is pathetic

• Love 13

Here we go again... Mario Cantone interrupts a discussion to bring the "EGOT" some tea.

I never remember Whoopi being referred to as an EGOT on the show before this year.... Im really glad someone mentioned that EGOT starts with EGO..... because that is how I see it every time they say it... feeding the EGO

• Love 8

Let's correct a story about Whoopi possibly farting on the show yesterday?  Really ? And again, folks are not smart. "Fart Gate". click

Ahh, too bad you changed the channel after the riveting Fart Gate explanation because a segment or so later, you missed her telling us she's  'dry.'  And this was after her 'joke' about men and them 'exercising their muscle.'  Such wit! 

• Love 5

I hope Mario keeps doing the adverts on this show. That "Give me my damn tea!!" to Nicolle left me laughing for a while this morning.

I actually liked what the guest co-host first said in regards to the torture topic, as far as there having to be a difference between the good guy/bad guy. Of course, the world's not that black and white, but you still have to stand by some principles or you can't really claim to be "in the right"/the victim anymore. I believe a lot of things in reaction to 9/11, including the torture of the captured, involved the government using the public's fear and anger to destroy our own principles and rights. While I do believe war is sometimes necessary, and I'm not necessarily against capital punishment either in certain cases, but I don't think torture is justifiable. And the way they worded things in their report to disguise what was actually happening implies they knew what they were doing was wrong. I agree with Rosie P that we'll probably never know everything that went on during that time. I can't believe that one man went to jail because he refused to torture someone! Wow.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 5

I agree with Rosie in principle, but for me she is extreme and still sees no difference between a soldier sent to war , and the sickos who did blow up the twin towers or behead people.

While I think Rosie can be simplistic when it comes to war, I think saying she doesn't see the difference between a solider and a terrorist is a simplistic way to view her. I personally don't see her as extreme except on a few subjects, just liberal in a sea of moderates who call themselves liberal.

• Love 10

Here we go again... Mario Cantone interrupts a discussion to bring the "EGOT" some tea.

By his expression, I think he also thought he was feeding the EGOT's Ego!

Also, Whoopee, do you really believe that the torture pictures are photoshopped?

• Love 4

She didn't actually fart, she just made a "big show" in response to a loud noise (equipment falling).

And totally cut off the guest co-host who was mid-sentence.  Her explanation, complete with a replay video, to us idiots  was that  she had to do something to cover the sound and so went for the fart joke.  Listening to what Ashanti was actually saying and continuing the conversation never entered her mind as an option. Whoopi told us that she often goes for the fart joke because, "it's always funny."  Yes, yes, we know Whoopi.   I'm thinking Ashanti didn't think it was that funny.  Neither did I for that matter. 

• Love 11

Today the guest host gave the lame argument for torture.... she said... if someone had my child I would do anything I had to to get them back.. or get information on where they are..... which is total bullshit.... if her child was taken... she would call the police. Also, If like she said... she would torture someone to find her child... that would be her choice.... but if she made the choice to step over the legal line... she would have to pay the price.

That is what I hope this report is used for..... to hold the people who went too far..... in actions and orders be held accountable for stepping over the line...... There is no justification for torture.... none.... and it has to be said out loud.... there was no smoking gun... there was no attack that was stopped.... there was nothing gained from torture.... other than the satisfaction that those people were dehumanized.

One other thing... there were over 120 people tortured by America (Not 3 like Nicholle wants us to believe).... and almost 25% of them were completely INNOCENT and had no intelligence to share.... that is pathetic

Olivia Munn was referencing the Hugh Jackman film where he tortured a guy (really and truly tortured, I couldn't watch it) that he believed had his kid or knew something about it.  IIRC the torture didn't yield results and the way the child was found was not as a result of that.  I certainly didn't get the impression that the movie was pro-torture. But that discussion to her point didn't happen.  

RO was really pushing back on NW today.  I get the impression that Whoopi doesn't like RO and seems to contradict her most times she speaks, like she did today when she was talking about the photos and whether the ends justify the means.

Whoopi is really full of herself, and she has taken over this show to the extent that no one else can really get a word in.  She's bizarrely unappealing yet all the celebs seem to love her.

• Love 14

Whoopi is really full of herself, and she has taken over this show to the extent that no one else can really get a word in.  She's bizarrely unappealing yet all the celebs seem to love her.

Well Whoopi doesn't show disdain for her fellow celebs the way she does for anyone who isn't a celeb.

• Love 10

I think the honeymoon period is over b/t Rosie O and Nicole Wallace.

So Rosie P had to step away for a segment due to low blood sugar?  Perhaps that did happen, but i'm thinking she can't take the arguments and tense feelings b/t the other co-hosts.  If she makes it to the end of the year...well i'll be surprised.  I'm thinking that when she takes an extended absence for the Broadway play next month she won't return.

At this point I think Rosie O could point out that the sky is blue and Whoopi would find some reason/way to contradict her.  Really Whoopi...the released photos might possibly be photoshopped?

• Love 12

Whoopi is really full of herself, and she has taken over this show to the extent that no one else can really get a word in.

The minute she opens up her big trap and "Here's the thing.." falls out of it, the discussion/conversation comes to a complete stand still. It's basically the equivalent of watching a nasty 6 year old sticking her tongue out and yelling "So there!!!"   She did it this morning; did it yesterday and will do it again next show. 

The discussion about her white shirts and why she wears them was just must-hear tv though.  Shut down the convo about torture so that we can get to the real important stuff.  Her.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 17

I think Whoopi is so used to being an all-knowing voice for every issue in the history of history, that she is being a contrarian just to maintain control. I think she is threatened by RO and is trying so hard to come off as this sage of life but all it's doing is making her an ornery old cuss. I am starting to have a very low tolerance for Whoopi's stupid shit and she just can't stop herself. Like today's lecture about her fart joke. Her fart joke!

Just read that Beverly Johnson has come out with a Bill Cosby drugging her drink incident . I guess this plus 50 more women won't be able to convince Whoopi that maybe Bill's a "bonehead".

• Love 19

People, my television listing said that Orlando Bloom, Richard Armitage, Luke Evans and some of the other cast members of the upcoming Hobbit movie were going to be on today's (12/11) show.  Does anyone know what happened or when they will appear?

• Love 2

but all it's doing is making her an ornery old cuss.

An ignorant ornery old cuss.

I watched the first half of the last two shows just to see how Nicolle would handle the torture discussion. Yesterday she was more of the shrill rightwinger who talked over everybody but today she was pretty quiet which I'll bet anything was because Jon Stewart called her out last night on the Daily Show. It wasn't just a passing mention either. It was full on ridicule with video from yesterday's Morning Joe clown show and her picture (a bad one) left up on the screen as a graphic while he was ripping into the Republicans and the nut jobs on Fox for their reaction to the torture report. I'm sure if she wasn't actually watching Stewart's show many people shared the video of it with her. She sure kept her mouth shut today when it was being discussed until the very end when she tried to play the victim with her sob story about what happened to her on 9/11.

Anyway, after watching Whoopi and her nonsense and her monopolizing the show, I'll be tuning back out. I noticed at one point when the Mouth was going on and on, Rosie looked composed from the waist up but her feet were jumping and shuffling around the rungs of her chair. She was agitated and I don't blame her one bit. If the producers don't rein Whoopi in, not only are some of the co-hosts going to escape from the zoo, the ratings are going to drop so much the whole show might be kaput.

• Love 18

Anyway, after watching Whoopi and her nonsense and her monopolizing the show, I'll be tuning back out. I noticed at one point when the Mouth was going on and on, Rosie looked composed from the waist up but her feet were jumping and shuffling around the rungs of her chair. She was agitated and I don't blame her one bit. If the producers don't rein Whoopi in, not only are some of the co-hosts going to escape from the zoo, the ratings are going to drop so much the whole show might be kaput.

I have watched The View since the very beginning.  I have been through every iteration of hosts/co-hosts.  I have never said that I might stop watching.  Whoopi is getting me very close to the edge.

• Love 16

If only Dianne Feinstein didn't take that Photoshop class at the community college and create the torture images to release during the holidays in her desperate attempt to ruin Whoopi's xmas, then I'd be happy.  I just don't understand why Whoopi is on the show with her "We don't know anything" attitude.  She's given all she has to offer.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 16

Fart jokes were funny when I was a kid. I don't need an EGOT telling me that she actually does not fart on camera. There have been occasions on The View when she has admitted to doing just that. We are not the right audience for Whoopi. Morning TV...seriously? She lectures everyone as if she is the Great and Powerful Oz. Anything she says or does is okay. If we're offended, IT WAS A JOKE, you effing morons! Tomorrow we'll watch her tongue bathe Babs. Thank goodness I record the damned show so I can FF through much of it. God!

• Love 9

And thank the great  'jeebus'  that I will miss tomorrow's show - I have no intention of finding it to watch later either.

I thought that once dumb and dumber were off, along with the babster that life would be good - cripes who knew that Whoopi would be the fly in the ointment.

I have given her slack all thru this season UNTIL the day she said she didn't really know how she felt about TORTURE!!!!!!!

And today with the "photo shop" comment.....enough, just enough...no reasonably smart and rational person would sign on to a "neutral" position on torture nor would they even begin to believe anything was photo shopped.

What is bizarre to me is that WE ALL knew thru the mid to late Bush presidency that this was going on.  We knew about all the phone crap and yet, somehow we are scandalized or ....something.   How the heck short are our memories?  Do we wake up every day with no knowledge of the previous day?

I have much more understanding of NW, she worked in that White House and clearly likes and respects Bush.  I have no problem with her and her struggle to deal with all of this.  I respect the Rosies because RO in particular usually does her homework.

Whoopi has shown herself to be a buffoon in this discussion and I used to be a huge fan of hers.  She is talented for sure - just not on a panel.

I am sad this week as a formerly respected person has tarnished their image for me.

Edited by CuriousParker
Removed Comment About Fans
  • Love 14

So Rosie P had to step away for a segment due to low blood sugar?  Perhaps that did happen, but i'm thinking she can't take the arguments and tense feelings b/t the other co-hosts.

All of them being A personalities (or they wouldn't be there), I really don't think she cares too much about what happens between her co-hosts.  From what I saw, she seemed quite shaken when she declared that, after too long a story - if she can respect her good friend's opinion, then she must respect her co-worker's opinion, too - it looked to her like that was a profound statement she had made - and there was no applause whatsoever.  I expected applause at that, so I'm guessing she must have, too.  Nicolle, as well as the others, had the option of helping her out there, but chose not to.  No one interrupted her, no one lead an applause, and she seemed very shaken at having to take full responsibility for what she started, which was having to go on, and it did not go well.  She was left on her own, stammering on about how she felt regarding torture.  I felt embarrassed for her and wanted to look away.  I'm sure she's great at many things, but this View thing is just not her forte.

As much as I have repeated that I have no use for guest co-hosts (and I still don't), I was very surprised at my liking of today's.  I've not seen her in anything so really don't know who she is.  Not that she had a very great opportunity to speak, but she made an impression still.  She came across to me as someone who could be "the young one".  Inasmuch as I would prefer a smart, savvy journalist a la Lisa Ling, the guest co-host today was very relaxed in front of the camera which I like, seemed to be herself, was intelligent and fun, and was not intimidated by her "surroundings", but enjoying herself up there.  I don't think it was just a case of "ignorance is bliss", because she was a natural at it. 

LOL - I thought Whoopi might have cut out after the live show, before tomorrow's show was taped, "Whoopi has the day off", or "Whoopi is under the weather today".  Unless Babs is superimposed, this might be fun.  Whoopi will have to defer to her, and we've never seen her interact with Nicolle and Rosie P (ie. the new panel).  I think Babs should have named Rosie O as one of the most fascinating, because I think it took major courage and guts to go back to a place that represented such negativity. 

Edited to add:  Whoopi is really ruining this show for me now.  When I don't watch, it's because of her. 

Edited by Dreamboat Annie
  • Love 9

Nicole sure kept her mouth shut today when it was being discussed until the very end when she tried to play the victim with her sob story about what happened to her on 9/11.

I loved that when Nicole was going on about how scared she was Rosie O made sure she knew that we were all scared.  I felt like Nicole was trying to equate it that unless you were at the Pentagon or in the WTC that they had the monopoly on being scared that day.  Rosie O seems to be making all the co-hosts defend their comments and explain what comes out of their mouths.

• Love 13

Barbara will be on to promote her Most Fascinating show--she's been on several talk shows this week talking about it.   And Rosie's doing crafts.  I love when Barbara has to craft.   I am kind of hoping to get some vibe from B about how she feels about the WG or RO.  I'm thinking she's on team RO, but who knows.

So Rosie P had to step away for a segment due to low blood sugar?  Perhaps that did happen, but i'm thinking she can't take the arguments and tense feelings b/t the other co-hosts.  If she makes it to the end of the year...well i'll be surprised.  I'm thinking that when she takes an extended absence for the Broadway play next month she won't return.

I read this before I saw this segment and when Whoopi said that RosieP had to step away for low blood sugar, I noticed RO looked pissed off.  So much so, that I think you are right on CMH.  Like Dreamboat Annie,  I felt embarrassed for her when she told Nicolle she respected her opinion even if she didn't agree with it because it seemed like such a profound thing for her, not sure why - there are plenty of opinions I don't agree with but still respect.   

On the other hand, I noticed when RO said her piece on the subject of torture - the audience applauded and Whoopi shushed them (!) saying, "wait a minute, wait a minute"  before repeating her version of "I don't know, I don't think we will ever know, blah blah, photoshopped, blah blah blah. 

I just about died when the Whoopi's Shoe Cam zoomed in  on those fun DVF mesh booties over ratty looking printed socks.  Gah.  I'm have not idea what she meant when she said, "You know how much I love to gamble so it works well for me."  Those are hearts on the shoes, not card suits.    I did chuckle when she said that wearing a worn out, threadbare white shirt made her feel clean because to me today (and many other days) her clothing choices are similar to those of a homeless woman who hangs out near my work. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 7

Yeah, that was odd, that the white shirts make her feel clean, but she also likes when they are threadbare and with holes.  Olivia Munn actually kind of called her out on hat.

Many of us have tendencies toward something, clothing wise, but I feel like Whoopi has to make it a big deal.  She annoys me.

• Love 4
if she can respect her good friend's opinion, then she must respect her co-worker's opinion, too - it looked to her like that was a profound statement she had made - and there was no applause whatsoever.

There was no applause because it wasn't profound, it's a conclusion to which that 95% of adults have already come.  That we can disagree with someone, a friend, a relative, a co worker and still respect their opinion.  It's only profound to people like Rosie P who live in a bubble, people that never have to deal with anyone with different views.

• Love 8

Rosie O seems to be making all the co-hosts defend their comments and explain what comes out of their mouths.

And why shouldn't she?  For too many years Elisabeth was allowed to spout off whatever ridiculous GOP talking point Geddie had fed to her that morning.  If you are a co-host on a nationally televised talk show and you want to voice your opinion for millions to hear then I personally think you should damn well be able to explain your opinion.

This show was its best when Meredith, Star, Lisa and Joy were in. No constant beating topics into the ground, no giant celebrity egos, and they didn't take themselves so seriously

Ah, the good old days.  Back when no one had an agenda.  Simply women sitting around a table discussing hot topics. 

• Love 16
There was no applause because it wasn't profound

Sometimes applause makes no sense.  I rarely believe "spontaneous" audience demonstrations.  The View pays a guy to jump around, raise his arms, and encourage audience reactions.

Many of us have tendencies toward something, clothing wise, but I feel like Whoopi has to make it a big deal.  She annoys me.

She also makes things up as she goes along.  Today's comment might have nothing to do with yesterday's.

• Love 8