Type keyword(s) to search

Approach The Bench: Law & Order General Discussion Thread

• Start Topic

Unfortunately, WE and Sundance aren't on my tier (and WGN isn't offered at all). I'm re-watching the Logan/Briscoe years on my own...

Oh poor, poor Chattygal!!! I feels your pains! I remember when I had to pull out my dvds, when it was just TNT airing the episodes, and we only RARELY got the Logan years at the obscene hours of 3:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m.!

• Love 1

I just happened to poke my head in this thread, and I find out that TNT is showing the mothership, and not only that, showing early season episodes? How did I not know this? I only ever run across SVU on cable (which I won't watch). I'm going to have to add TNT to the rota of channels I check when settling in for some TV time.

Chattygal, I haven't seen Competence for a while - painful episode to watch for a number of reasons.

Right now, the four channels airing the mothership are TNT, WGN, WeTV and Sundance. It's pretty awesome.

Yeah, I see both local and national channels which, in any permutation, all 3 franchise shows air. I guess they are big moneymakers in syndication.

TNT Early Morning Marathon - Sunday, November 17th

3:00 a.m. - "Bogeyman" (S18 E15)

4:00 a.m. - "3 Dawg Night" (S12 E09)

5:00 a.m. - "Prejudice" (S12 E10)

6:00 a.m. - "The Collar" (S12 E11)

7:00 a.m. - "Undercovered" (S12 E12)

8:00 a.m. - "DR 1-102" (S12 E13)

9:00 a.m. - "Missing" (S12 E14)

10:00 a.m. - "Access Nation" (S12 E15)

11:00 a.m. - "Born Again" (S12 E16)

Blergh. Don't care, don't care, don't care, as they are all Foghorn Leghorn and Rohmbot years. Well, except for "Bogeyman", but still.

Maybe she's been good in other things.  Anybody?  Anybody?

If she's been on anything else, I don't recall; BUT...she appeared as some bartender type with streaked hair the season or two before she was cast as Green's partner. So there ya go.  And she was awful in those two minutes as well.

Maybe she's been good in other things.  Anybody?  Anybody?

She was on a semi-spinoff Dick Wolf show, Conviction (meaning, not another L&O umbrella show, but in the same universe with Stephanie March's Alex Cabot, who was a pod, but I digress...), and she was just as vapid as an up and coming lawyer as she was as a cop on the Mothership a few years later. Chattygal will attest to that.  :-P

ETA: Which she did, above me!  :-)

• Love 1

Hi guys, I'm new here and I was hoping you could help me out.

I vaguely recall an episode of L&O where it turned out that a recurring character had been falsifying evidence or giving false expert testimony on a regular basis in order to help the DA get convictions.

This came up in a conversation I was having with somebody and it has been driving me nuts for a week. I have searched the internet for hours trying to figure out who the character was (medical examiner? psychiatrist? forensic examiner?) and now I'm not even sure if it was an episode of L&O that I'm remembering. I appreciate any help in advance!

Hi, my name is @WendyCR72, and I'm a moron! In trying to merge topics, the general discussion thread was instead put under the Falsifying Evidence header! Sooo...the title was rechristened as it was in the General Discussion thread.

And I apologize for my screw up. Mods are human, too!  :-P

• Love 1

Can I just mention that Scarwid's character was not a recurring character? It was a one-off.

The only recurring character, if you want to stretch it that far, was David Marshall Grant's character as an ADA, but that only lasted for two episodes; and he turned out to be a crooked ADA, and I guess was sooo good at it, they had him play another crooked ADA on Criminal Intent.

(edited)

I didn't think I had suggested Scarwid appeared beyond that one time.

Oh no, you didn't Chatty, but motreck, who asked the original question, referred to Scarwid's character as a recurring character.

As Wendy and others  who know me (aquarian1) can attest, I'm an anal/retentive nitpicky wench when it comes to stuff like that. :P

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

I saw "Dead Wives Club" yesterday on TNT.  While I agree that using the 9/11 PTSD post traumatic excuse was lame and tiresome, I still felt sorry for the wife, if only because her ex husband was a douchebag.  Ditching his wife and kids to be with his dead best friend's widow is a terrible thing, no matter how you spin it.

I definitely felt sorry for both the kids and stepkids.  Because of his actions, all of them lost their mothers.

• Love 5

The oddest thing of all is that TNT, doesn't bleep or silent out those words, but WGN, WE, and Sundance bleep them all out and Sundance is a premium movie channel. Find it makes no bloody sense.

This is an old post, but when USA runs episodes of  SVU, they bleep out a lot of stuff you'd think wouldn't be that objectionable. In the one where this high school girl's mom was handing out booze to her friends and having sex with a teenaged boy, they kept silencing the word 'bang.' I was obvious what the characters were saying, but the word was never heard. Very strange.

Another interesting example of bleeping: Sundance showed the S8 episode "Carrier", in which an HIV-positive man is charged with trying to infect as many women as possible, and bleeped out the word 'bareback'. It was used several times and got the bleep hammer in every one of them.

I was looking for a topic on terrible murder weapons there is none, so here it goes. Was watching "Possession" on WE last hour, the weapon was pinking shears. I've sewn all my life, my grandmother and mothers were seamstresses, we all owned pinking shears. They do not have sharp points at the tips and would be very difficult to stab someone with, they're very thick. It would take a lot of strength to stab anything. Regular dressmaking shears would be a much more reasonable weapons. Just one of those things that bugged.

So, I guess Eric Bogosian was part of the Dick Wolf Casting Agency (as I like to call it!) before he played Captain Danny Ross on L&O: CI. I'm watching my DVDs, and he played a lawyer in a third season episode, Conspiracy, and wow, was he rockin' an almost curly mullet there.  :-P

I was looking for a topic on terrible murder weapons there is none, so here it goes. Was watching "Possession" on WE last hour, the weapon was pinking shears. I've sewn all my life, my grandmother and mothers were seamstresses, we all owned pinking shears. They do not have sharp points at the tips and would be very difficult to stab someone with, they're very thick. It would take a lot of strength to stab anything. Regular dressmaking shears would be a much more reasonable weapons. Just one of those things that bugged.

Friend, you've just totally invalidated the murder weapon in The Ghost and Mr.Chicken too!

I know I am probably the only one who thinks this but sometimes I wonder who will survive in prison the best.  I actually felt bad for Frederick Weller in "Promises to Keep" and Chris in "Born Bad" because you know what will happen to them with looks like that.  I know that can't be a basis for a reprieve (wink) but I can't help but think it.

Anyone else you think would sink or swim?

TNT still shows blocks every Saturday and Sunday. Granted, they often start in the wee-hours but for night owls or DVR folks, it might be worth it for mini-rewatches. Traditionally the episodes are aired in order.

TNT recently went through the cycle and went back, not to the beginning but to ADA McCoy's first year. Has Michael Moriarity been blacklisted?

TNT is showing "Hubris." This is a love-hate episode for me. Tim Guinee as the perp who ends up defending himself is so awful and smarmy, I love his performance but hate hate hate his character. I also hate how obtuse the trial judge has to be in order for the perp/defense attorney to succeed.

BUT...I love Abby's numerous bitchfaces - especially when the idiot jury foreperson comes to the DA's office to confess that she'd been dating the perp (during the trial!) 

• Love 1

BUT...I love Abby's numerous bitchfaces - especially when the idiot jury foreperson comes to the DA's office to confess that she'd been dating the perp (during the trial!)

You have to applaud Abby for not adding, "Even you help us now, a judge is just going to think you're a woman scorned -- which is what you are, because you obviously didn't give a damn about him killing a child until he dumped you.  So thank you for screwing us over to pursue a love live.  Now why don't you go apologize to the child's father and pray that he isn't a gunowner, but if he is, I sure as hell won't blame him for what he might do."

If I were her, I would have totally said that.  And bitchslapped that idiot see-you-next-Tuesday hard.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4
You have to applaud Abby for not adding, "Even you help us now, a judge is just going to think you're a woman scorned -- which is what you are, because you obviously didn't give a damn about him killing a child until he dumped you.  So thank you for screwing us over to pursue a love live.  Now why don't you go apologize to the child's father and pray that he isn't a gunowner, but if he is, I sure as hell won't blame him for what he might do."

If I were her, I would have totally said that.  And bitchslapped that idiot see-you-next-Tuesday hard.

Yes to ALL of this! That episode is one of the few times I was here for Abby's contemptuous bitchfaces.

NBC Eyes ‘Law & Order’ Limited Series

Network sources caution that this is an idea that has been discussed from time to time, and a Law & Order limited series is not in active development at the moment. Still, there has been movement. I hear the network has been exploring the possibility of re-assembling the cast from the early years of the series. I hear several actors have been approached, including original cast members Chris Noth and Sam Waterston, who did not join the show until Season 5 but are the actors most closely associated with the Law & Order brand. I hear NBC is eyeing 10 new Law & Order episodes.

So, all the characters would just decide to go back to the jobs they had twenty years ago? That seems silly.

If you want to bring the show back, just bring the show back.

• Love 1

I would actually PAY for more Law and Order. I am doing a happy dance at the very thought of it *flails wildly*.

Now if they can get some of the later years people back too, this thing might even make sense. But I think this is probably just because they know they messed up not giving it that extra year to beat the record.

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 5

A return of original L&O in any fashion is something I would watch.

That said, I don't really believe a word of that.  And while the earlier seasons were great, it seems odd that they'd want to bring back Mike Logan, whose character arc was mostly wrapped up on L&O:CI, or most of the other early cast members.  Thinking of other Logan-era cast members, well...

LAW:

Max Greevey - character dead, actor persona non grata

Phil Cerretta - character retired

Don Cragen - character retired

Lenny Briscoe - character and actor dead

Anita Van Buren - maybe?

Rey Curtis - haha, just kidding

ORDER:

Ben Stone - character retired, actor persona non grata

Paul Robinette - possible, but do people remember him?

Adam Schiff - actor retired

Claire Kincaid - character dead

Jack McCoy - apparently a possibility

Jamie Ross - actor retired

This would be great - if it happens. But the fact it is said to not even be in development...well, it sounds like spitballing to me, to be honest. Not to say I wouldn't watch because hey, it's Law & Order, but...yeah.

And no disrespect meant to Mr. Noth or Mr. Waterston, but both men seem a...bit long in the tooth now, shall we say, and depending on how long it would take to secure this...I'm not sure it would work. Logan seems more problematic of the two, IMO, since he seemed to leave pretty definitively again on L&O:CI. With that said, I kind of get why the latest cast wouldn't be revived. Like it or not, people associate Logan and McCoy with the series, on average, than Lupo and Bernard, no matter how good Jeremy Sisto and Anthony Anderson were. And then there's the simple fact that both Anderson and Alana De La Garza are currently in other series now. Actually, I think Lennie Briscoe is still the "face" of the show, but with both Jerry Orbach and the character dead, that's obviously moot.

And then there's the simple fact that both Anderson and Alana De La Garza are currently in other series now.

Merkeson's the only S20 cast member who doesn't currently have a show. Sisto's on A&E's The Returned remake, Waterston has a Netflix series, and Roache is on Vikings.

I don't care if it'd be considered creatively bankrupt. I don't care if it'd reek of desperation on NBC's part.  I'd be all over this bitch!  And this iteration better be called Season 21. 

As for rounding up the past cast, there is a benefit to it being a limited series.  Any actor whose current show is only 10-13 episodes could also do this.  But if they round up multiple different cast members, they can showcase different partnerships each episode with perhaps one common person in each "side."  Anita could be the lieutenant (or whatever she has been promoted to) of a few different partnerships, some of whom are "vintage" and others who may be new.  If Waterston returns as D.A., he could probably film all of his scenes in a week or two. 

I miss Original Recipe.  And part of me kind of wondered why this hadn't been floated before, especially with all the revivals elsewhere.

• Love 5

Alana De La Garza's show isn't expected to come back, so depending when/if this happens, she might be available. Also, since they're talking about doing a short order, that would hopefully mean they'd have an easier time of getting some of the actors who have other commitments to participate. That said, I doubt they're going to work too hard to bring back old characters. This Law & Order we're talking about here. They'll probably bring back a few fan favorites and fill out the rest of the roster with newbies. And of course this is all assuming that this eventually happens, when it doesn't seem particularly close to happening at the moment.

Since the mother ship was about the procedural more than the cast I would see a limited edition as sort of a make up opportunity, not one more crack at characters that have been long retired. So for your detectives Jeffries from SVU as the Lieutenant and a now experienced Cassidy as the senior with a new character as the junior detective. Maybe Robinette as the new DA after the McCoy office failed some racially sensitive case. Perhaps Gaffney from Trial By Jury as the Exec ADA. I don't like Blue Bloods anyway. And a new character as the ADA,

Paul Robinette - possible, but do people remember him?

Paul was one of my favorite ADAs - along with Claire and Connie. I enjoyed his character immensely. That said, the few times Paul returned, he was very definitely on the defense side of the aisle.