Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E15: Finale: The Last Girl Standing (1) / America's Next Top Model Is… (2)

but in all fairness the judges are right there with the contestants on the spot and they truly know who has the best potential and who should stay and who should go.

ANTM hasn't been a real modeling competition since about, oh, idk, Cycle 2.  It has nothing to do with potential as a model, or Matthew, Shei, Will and Lennox would've been the final 4, with maybe Ivy thrown in.  If this was really about modelling potential, Adam and Denzel would never have been chosen at all.  In the end, the judges pick who Tyra wants them to pick.

• Love 1

In the end, the judges pick who Tyra wants them to pick.

And who will create the most DRAH-MA in the house. A real modeling show with people acting like adults between shoots would be boring and immediately canceled. Even though that's what so many of us want to see.

I did think it was funny when Yu Tsyi (how do you spell his name?) pulled the imaginary stick from Adam's a$$ before the last shoot.

• Love 1
ANTM hasn't been a real modeling competition since about, oh, idk, Cycle 2.  It has nothing to do with potential as a model, or Matthew, Shei, Will and Lennox would've been the final 4, with maybe Ivy thrown in.  If this was really about modelling potential, Adam and Denzel would never have been chosen at all.  In the end, the judges pick who Tyra wants them to pick.

This.  Tyra and her minions (the producers) pick these people.  If they cared about a real modeling show instead of creating drama, Matthew and Will wouldn't have been cast simply for being too tall.  Lenox has a long torso but it can be worked around (like Jaslene).  Ivy and Shei like Keith had been signed to agencies before.  But Denzel and Adam, nope, too short.  Kari and Raelia perhaps and I'm neutral on Mirjana.  How they did would have depended on getting actual guidance which ANTM doesn't do.  So yes, we can say the "judges" know what's best but Tyra is manipulating this from how she and TPTB instruct the photographers/creative director to instruct or more often than not, to not direct them at a shoot (notice how the Nylon shoot differed from every shoot this cycle in that the guy from Nylon actually directed them like a normal photographer would instead of yelling nonsense at them and expecting them to figure out what he meant) to the pictures that Tyra chooses to show at panel to whether or not she actually chooses to share feedback from the shoot with the rest of the panel.  She's notorious for editing out shoot feedback when it doesn't work towards getting her favorite to the finish line.  We won't even go into the fact that for all the talk about Adam's drinking, the show made sure that alcohol was available to them 24/7 (the contestants have said this) regardless of anything else they may have needed like food or cleaning supplies or anything actually useful.

That reminds me, the girl Tyra said had the alien face, I've forgotten her name, but her Tyover (heh) was to become bleached blond, had bangs at the final runway walk. It was a big improvement. I think much of Tyra's makeovers are to just make freakish personas for the show. She let that guy last cycle keep his mountain man long hair that looked filthy and greasy every shoot, but she shaved Adam's head when he could have rocked his long locks. Go figure.

Kari was the blonde who has sense gone back to her original hair color.  The models have to keep the makeover until their elim epi is aired.

As for Phil from last cycle, that "mountain man" look got him signed to a legit NYC agency and has gotten him work.  Which isn't to say that Tyra's makeovers aren't stupid.  But once in awhile she'll do one (probably by accident) that actually makes sense (see C12 Fo).

As for Shei's hair, I still see her sporting that hair in her ig.  Some of her tests show her in dark hair so she could be wearing a wig?

The first couple of cycles the makeovers made sense then when Tyra just gave up the idea of a legit modeling show she did it for the drama of it.  Most of these folks have to get their hair done over as soon as they are free to do so.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 2

Second the side eye at Keith's story. He got a payoff in his twenties of more money than most people make in a lifetime, a corporate job in sports management between his NFL seasons (according to his Linked In profile), and full free ride to a business degree from a good school. I don't buy that he's been chomping at the bit to help his family if only someone would hand him some money.

But then I also side eye Lenox' touching story about her mom not being able to afford the gas they used to get to tryouts. I had a job when I was 13 to pay for clothes and spending money, and I'd be willing to bet that the minimum wage goes a lot farther in Georgia than it did in Manhattan. So, while it's really touching that if gold rains down on her she'll shake some off at mom, I'd be way more impressed if she got off her nineteen year old ass and paid her own way.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

She let that guy last cycle keep his mountain man long hair that looked filthy and greasy every shoot

Actually, Phil's hair was a weave.  They gave him long Jesus hair and trimmed his beard up a bit.  He originally came in with short hair and a longer beard.  So it wasn't that they "let" him keep his hair, she actually wanted the look for him.

• Love 1

I would add "Top Chef" as another exception....

And don't forget Next Food Network Star winner Guy Fieri, who basically half owns the Food Network now.

That reminds me, the girl Tyra said had the alien face, I've forgotten her name, but her Tyover (heh) was to become bleached blond, had bangs at the final runway walk. It was a big improvement. I think much of Tyra's makeovers are to just make freakish personas for the show. She let that guy last cycle keep his mountain man long hair that looked filthy and greasy every shoot, but she shaved Adam's head when he could have rocked his long locks. Go figure.

Tyra used to sorta do nice makeovers, but then by cycle seven or eight I don't know what happened to her. I guess she had an epiphany and decided to do whatever she wanted to these people's heads, like rats in a test factory.

Phil has gotten work but it is mostly in the hipster modeling genre. You still have to be reasonably beautiful to be a major working male model, you know, without too much of anything on you. He's not going to be walking Givenchy or Commes des Garçons with a nappy ass weave growing on his head like a hairy tumor I can tell you that.

Finally got to watch it.  According to those 2 episodes, I would say Adam deserved the win.  I know, he's too short. I got quite impatient over everyone's (SteathBitch Lennox included) proclaiming how shocking it was that Adam was there, like he rode in on a short bus.

Will is way to fucking tall.   Allson Harvard was in the short girls season, right?  So if they shipped her off to the Phillipines to model, so she could look taller, they would have to send Will up the beanstalk to GiantLand for him to have a chance.  His face is beautiful but I don't think there is much call for male beauty models--after all, there is no mens makeup!

Keith is gorgeous but man did Matthew get cheated.  he 100% should have won, if there was to be a mens winner.  Georgeous guy

• Love 1

Will is way to fucking tall.   Allson Harvard was in the short girls season, right?  So if they shipped her off to the Phillipines to model, so she could look taller, they would have to send Will up the beanstalk to GiantLand for him to have a chance.  His face is beautiful but I don't think there is much call for male beauty models--after all, there is no mens makeup!

I was really surprised that Allison was in the Philippines, and everyone was all about, "OOooh, she's a working model." Especially when she said she had only had jobs the last five months or something? Her convo was edited so I didn't catch it all, but I got the impression she was being pimped as an ANTM success when in actuality, not so much. I wonder if there are waitress jobs in Philippines that can tide models over until the next audition for a paying gig.

In thinking more about Will, there was a conversation here about his being a "professional" dancer. Alas, he is too tall for that profession, too. The average for an American male principal is 5 ft. 9 in. At 6 ft. 6 in., his best career choice would have been basketball or volleyball. Still, I think he could make it as an editorial model. Or a face model. Meanwhile, his career as a dance instructor works well.

Edited by saber5055

Oh my, don't say that! She's an omnipotent force of darkness that hears everything! Before you know it, there WILL be a Top Model school of horrors somewhere in the pits of Los Angeles...

You mean like the La Brea Tar Pits?

• Love 1
I was really surprised that Allison was in the Philippines, and everyone was all about, "OOooh, she's a working model." Especially when she said she had only had jobs the last five months or something? Her convo was edited so I didn't catch it all, but I got the impression she was being pimped as an ANTM success when in actuality, not so much. I wonder if there are waitress jobs in Philippines that can tide models over until the next audition for a paying gig.

She said she'd been there five months when this was shot which was months ago.  She's worked steadily since she's been there.  She's hosted at least two or more tv shows, she's modeled and had campaings for Bench and TechnoMarine watches, Bioessence and a few more modeling gigs.  She's even been a guest judge for a beauty pageant most recently.

Allison is my favorite ANTM hamster, and I think there is a reason Tyra chose her to be on her tacky makeup ads instead of old Lisa, Angelea and all the other "all-stars": Allison is freaking gorgeous, and is the hamster most identifiable with the ANTM brand. Even though the Philippines is not a major fashion market to say the least, she is steadily working and appears to have several campaigns under her belt, including for that Filipino celebrity dress designer that did the final runway costumes for one of the recent cycles (I forgot which one, might have been the Molly and deranged Alexandria one), so more power to her. As for the winner, I agree if a male winner was predetermined, Matthew would have been their best bet, possibly Ben. Too bad they were both eliminated early and Chantelle took Ben's comeback spot by a hair. But Keith is a good choice since he is male and an African American hasn't won since C14 Krista.

Edited by Mattipoo

In c.22 Tyra will probably have conjoined twins, monkey people, and werewolves as contestants. Every season gets even more supernatural than the last.

I can picture it now.

Or a contestant like Edward Mordrake from this season's American Horror Story: Freak Show.

Tyra: "Now I realize that you have one head and two faces, but I'm going to need both of you to find the light. Do it like this ____."

Yu: "THE LIGHT! FIND THE LIGHT! C'MON!!!! C'MON!!!!" *furiously jumps up and down*

Gordon Ramsay, Guest Judge: "You've given up, haven't you?"

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2

I don't have a problem believing Keith still has family members in the projects. It's not like he had any actual playing time in the NFL and the way contracts work (so, no, he won't be seeing the full $400+K salary), including the negotiated injury settlement by the teams upon a player's release which isn't going to pay him more money than his salary (injury settlements in the NFL aren't similar to law suits of the same name but a small part of salary cap negotiations.) He did come away with some money, but he had his own living expenses during that time, and when you have a large family in the projects, you have lots of needs.  If you don't live in the projects, you don't know what "just buy a nice little house in the suburbs" sounds like.

I would have been happy with either Will or Keith winning. Will has a beautiful face and I loved how Keith and Will seemed supportive of one another at the end.

Tyra is crazee. Not that this is a bad thing.

• Love 1

I don't have a problem with Keith not being able to bring his family out of the projects, either. What I'm suspicious about is the idea that he couldn't do it with NFL money, but he thinks he can do it with ANTM money. $100,000 is good money. I would be thrilled with it, even after taxes wipe a bunch off of it. But if your NFL salary, even if meager by pro sports standards, couldn't lift your family out of poverty, ANTM won't, either.

• Love 1

I thought will would win but I always liked Keith. He has a good personality and took okay  pics. I’m confused by all his talk about helping his family. I thought guys make a ton of money in the NFL?  

I saw a few comments about Kari up thread. I’m also confused by her makeover because IMO it made her look like a stripper while I thought her original look when she came into the show was much cuter. 

Edited by Spicymustard