Type keyword(s) to search

Spencer Reid: Gorgeous Gray Matter

• Start Topic

I'm also reminded of this scene from Season 3 of Buffy. Willow has been caught kissing Xander by Oz, her boyfriend. Willow is consumed by guilt. Oz is hurt and has been avoiding her, but she catches up with him in the school hallway. 

WILLOW: Oz. Wait. Please? What I did....When I think that I hurt you...
OZ: Yeah, you said all this stuff already.
WILLOW: Right. But, I want to make it up to you. I mean, if you let me, I want to try.
OZ: Just....you can leave me alone. I need to figure things out.
WILLOW: But, maybe if we talk about it, we could...
OZ: Look, I'm sorry this is hard for you. But I told you what I need. So, I can't help feeling like the reason you want to talk is so you can feel better about yourself. That's not my problem.

Italics and bolding are mine, and I think he hit it square. I think that was absolutely JJ's motivation in pestering Reid. But she was also trying to show him she cares about his feelings by trying to get him to discuss it, air it, with her. 

• Love 3

I've forgotten the details of their interactions now and I've (somehow) never seen the episode where Prentiss returns, but I always felt like Reid was being the unprofessional dick in personally penalizing JJ for not telling him. She was doing her job, following the rules, and protecting Prentiss' life.  Also, the double standard in his response to JJ vs. Hotch is vaguely offensive -- they did the exact same thing for the exact same reasons.

And if Reid had been crying on Hotch's couch for ten weeks, I'd have been fine with him putting Aaron on blast just as much. Its all very nice to say they were both doing their jobs, but JJ is the one who watched Spencer grieve firsthand. IMO, it just makes her look cold and not trusting that he could keep quiet.

• Love 5

Yeah, Cobalt, if anyone knew from childhood how to keep a secret, it would be Spencer. I never really bought into the "they would drug him into confessing" trope. He would have died rather than betray Emily's whereabouts, or just the fact that she was alive somewhere. If JJ and Hotch had said, "She's alive, but you can't know where she is," like the witness protection program, that would have been sufficient to keep from gutting Reid, and Morgan and Garcia, too for that matter.

• Love 6

The thing I don't get is, if Reid found out the truth, there is no way that Doyle would know that he knew or have suspected that Emily was alive. So there would be no reason to kidnap him and try to get an answer out of him. It was just so poorly planned out.

And for some reason I initially misread the thing about Reid crying on Hotch's couch as crying on Hotch's crotch.... 

• Love 5

Yeah, Cobalt, if anyone knew from childhood how to keep a secret, it would be Spencer. I never really bought into the "they would drug him into confessing" trope. He would have died rather than betray Emily's whereabouts, or just the fact that she was alive somewhere. If JJ and Hotch had said, "She's alive, but you can't know where she is," like the witness protection program, that would have been sufficient to keep from gutting Reid, and Morgan and Garcia, too for that matter.

His relative ability to keep a secret isn't the relevant point, nor is his crying on JJ's couch.  They were under direct orders, per protocol, to not tell anyone.  Full stop.  Period.  Whether those orders or that protocol is unnecessary is a separate issue. And I'm going to stop writing right now or else I'm going to quote A Few Good Men about following orders or people die and that is a low to which I will not sink.

I actually didn't ever get that they were under orders to keep it quiet. Didn't the senate committee comment that even they were kept in the dark about Prentiss and they paid for her funeral and such. I thought that JJ pulled some strings to make it happen but that nobody was over her and Hotch giving them orders. At least that was how it came off to me.

I don't recall JJ ever saying that she was following orders and if she had been ordered to stay quiet you can bet she would have pulled that card out. It just seemed like such a waste, even though it was the high point of the episode because the unsub part was horrible. I think they just handled it all wrong and I wish it hadn't been resolved in a stupid pasta party.

Reid is someone who takes time to get over things-- partially because of his eidetic memory.

• Love 4

I'm in the minority because I liked the pasta party. Silly or not, that's what families do - if there's a riff they force everyone to get together in one place to either start some healing or hash it out. Doubtless an hour show doesn't have the time to cover every second of the process, but I thought it rang true. Further, Reid showing up late (he's never late) was a good indicator of his reluctance, imo. 

I'm in agreement with your last statement, zannej. 

I really enjoyed that article,however according to Matthew it doesn't really seem as though Reid will have any sort of fallout from what happened to him last season.

Oh but we will be getting some fall out from what happened to JJ in "200". I got to say I am beyond pissed right now.

• Love 1

Where did he say that?

Matthew's not a bean-spiller, and with all the press about Garcia's and JJ's PTSD I'm sure he wouldn't tell us anyway. 

SIX DAYS! COME ON OCTOBER! 

Willowy I know that Matthew did come right out and say it. I'm drawing my own conclusion based on having read this in that article.

"Having filmed seven episodes of season 10,Gubler reports that Reid has fully recovered from the trauma of that two part may finale that also found  the recuperating FBI profiler at the mercy of homicidal sheriff's deputy who was posing as a nurse" 

As for JJ PTSD. AJ was on one of these daytime talk shows and supposedly she mention something about it.

Yes, sorry if I was unclear. I knew about JJ's PTSD as my statement above says "with all the press about Garcia's and JJ's PTSD..."

Meaning he probably wouldn't want to mention if Reid is feeling that or not. 

Yes, sorry if I was unclear. I knew about JJ's PTSD as my statement above says "with all the press about Garcia's and JJ's PTSD..."

Meaning he probably wouldn't want to mention if Reid is feeling that or not.

No need to apologize Willowy. You weren't at all unclear. The problem was with me, despite the fact I read it, I hadn't really grasped what you said.

And I sure hope that you are right about it being a case of Matthew not wanting to spill any beans. 

• Love 1

That is a very cool effect with the screengrab thing.

Since the premiere has already aired, it looks like Reid might be having some pain in his neck. I hope they don't make it psychosomatic-- although I will not be surprised if they just drop it completely and decide it would be too "sad" or that they just don't want to deal with it. They have a bad habit of starting things and not knowing how to end them. I'm pretty bad about that too, but I'm not a professional writer.

• Love 1

So this interesting thing happened when I was taking a screen grab... I really hope we get to see her soon.

GZYylgb.png

Well, Willowy, you'll sort of get your wish if you get A & E, because The Instincts and Memoriam come on tonight at eight and nine PM respectively. Granted, you'll have to suffer through Sperm Donor's existence, but Diana's awesomeness makes up for that, IMO. Ironic that she's the functional parent, isn't it?

Also, why does spell check keep insisting that 'memoriam' is not a word?[/random]

• Love 3

I'll have to get a compilation of the pics of Reid's apartment. I want to do a comparison of the look from season 8 compared to season 9. There were some changes in the decor.

I know that's a random thought...

Leaving this here because jesus fucking christ, but also... does it look to anyone else like he's tilted? His shoulders look straight, but... is it maybe because that backshadow is slanted? I dunno, he looks like he's doing the Michael Jackson Smooth Criminal lean.

hMQlCwH.jpg

He's definitely leaning to the right and his hair is terrible. It's giving me Kate Gosselin flashbacks.

Kate Gosselin! That woman could only dream about ever looking that gorgeous. Of course the same could be said for a lot of other women.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 2

I wrote a poem about his long hair. 

I just love this look... relaxed and confident, my favorite type of Reid. He's in character here, but jusssst barely veering into Matthew. I really love what he's wearing too (it's that damned fob again!), although I'll bet he would've preferred they kept his darkeye. 

• Love 2

While Matthew still has a beautiful face and body, some of his overall sex appeal diminishes for me with long hair. I don't think he is very attractive with it, and I never really have.

To be honest I too prefer the short ( but not shaved) hair on him. However I do feel he looks rather good with it (the longer hair) in this picture. On the other hand were he to decide to cut(not shave) his hair again that would be more than okay with me.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 1

I think his hair at this length is about my favorite length on him. Not too short and not too long. I also like the black shoes. I know in the past he had the brown leather ones-- which were actually my favorites on him. I was never overly fond of the convers he wore- partially because I used to have some and they were not comfortable. Plus they look more unprofessional and childish.

I do think my favorite outfit is the one with the vest and the watch fob though. I tend to like his purple shirts for some reason.

In terms of character development, I found it interesting that he mentioned having shot "the LDSK" had hit him and he'd obsessed over it. I wonder if that sort of thing actually happens or if it was just something Janine pulled out of her ass to validate Garcia's behavior somehow. But it was a nice moment and showed that he had empathy for Garcia. I liked that he was worried about her. I just wish that they'd actually attempted to have him interact with her in the new episode.

Edited by zannej
  • Love 1

Actually, the obsession part can happen after a trauma, for many reasons, not all of them very logical. That small little scene, except for him saying the "LDSK," was nice, and shows how Reid has grown. 

• Love 2