Type keyword(s) to search

Spencer Reid: Gorgeous Gray Matter

• Start Topic

True, but then they would probably feel the need to remind us that JJ is a mother. :P

I actually think it would be interesting to see team members disagreeing about parenting techniques.

Actually, zannej might be onto something. Having a cute teenage girl, someone all the HTFGs out there could really identify with, crushing on Reid and him being totally creeped out, saying "you're way to young for me!" might actually be amusing, at least for us old crones *shakes cane at still-cute young'uns*

I tried but just came up with Hawaian Tropical Fruit Growers - what's HTFG?

• Love 1

I'll have to try to load that later. Right now my internet is being so r******* I can't load a freaking image of the Bathfitter display at the Philidelphia comic con. LOL.

Also, I thought it was funny in one of the interview videos at FantasiaFest when Matthew casually mentioned that he used to date Kat 10 years ago and the interviewer got jealous. If I could get it to load I'd link it. Willowy's criminalmindsfanblog.tumblr should have it though.

• Love 1

Here we are. It's tenth from the top. 

http://criminalmindsfansblog.tumblr.com/

Semi-random but since the "empathy" convo is there and I just saw that episode again -- I have always hated Morgan saying that.  It's not "empathy" when you're having PTSD flashbacks of a recent trauma; it's PTSD flashbacks of a recent trauma.

(Bravo in Canada is running like a 48-hour marathon of CM -- I just watched the conclusion of the Tobias episode and then this follow up (sorry, I don't know episode titles) and I still really hate this as an origin story for drug addiction -- why on earth would Reid choose to take the drugs that were forced on him and gave him bad trips??  Also, knowing that he had been injected with illegal substances, why wouldn't he have been taken to the hospital and observed for dangerous side-effects???)

Edited by dusang
  • Love 1

Semi-random but since the "empathy" convo is there and I just saw that episode again -- I have always hated Morgan saying that.  It's not "empathy" when you're having PTSD flashbacks of a recent physical trauma; it's PTSD flashbacks of a recent physical trauma.

Agreed that Morgan is no expert when it comes to that topic, and Reid is still very much in pain, and suffering from his experience with Hankel. I see it more like Morgan is just trying to make his friend feel better, to ease his conscience and allow him to accept that yes, that super-sucked what happened to you Reid, but the normal fallout you're experiencing doesn't make you a bad person, or unable to do your job.  

The whole way the team chose to 'not deal' with Reid's PTSD and to allow his continued drug use was something I never really knew how to take. I've SEEN that dynamic in action before when a co-worker at a city job I once had became a raging alcoholic and everyone knew it and did nothing. So in that way, it rang true. Hotch has proven time and again that even though he's a devout rules-follower, when it comes to his team he can and will make exceptions. I did appreciate him gently steering Reid back to the BCC at the end of Elephant's Memory, but Spencer had pretty much gotten a handle on things by then anyway. 

Also here's some morning yummy:

cMeMswQ.jpg

• Love 2

The whole way the team chose to 'not deal' with Reid's PTSD and to allow his continued drug use was something I never really knew how to take. I've SEEN that dynamic in action before when a co-worker at a city job I once had became a raging alcoholic and everyone knew it and did nothing. So in that way, it rang true. Hotch has proven time and again that even though he's a devout rules-follower, when it comes to his team he can and will make exceptions. I did appreciate him gently steering Reid back to the BCC at the end of Elephant's Memory, but Spencer had pretty much gotten a handle on things by then anyway. 

Although I do have problems with the entire addiction arc and how the team failed to acknowledge it, my larger problem is how they got Reid hooked on drugs in the first place -- I can see him having a downward spiral from the Henkel thing and conceivably ending up hooked on alcohol or even prescription pain meds but I do not see him taking the same drugs that Tobias gave him.

I think the reason behind that is that Reid was so much a novice to that type of thing, and rather than experiment with what might work best for him, he just went with what he knew. His need to escape was pretty hard-core, and he knew the Dilaudid would facilitate that. Not to mention knowing dosage already because of Hankel. Reid was more of an opportunistic addict, rather than a driven one, I think.

• Love 2

Speaking of trauma, A & E ran Zugzwang this morning, and it still destroys me. I can see why Reid's lack of concentration could annoy some people, but Maeve was doubly important to him, both because she was the victim of an UnSub and because of the personal relationship. I think its worth mentioning that its Alex who takes him aside and helps him focus his thoughts with chess so that he can remember his conversations with Maeve. To slow down the whirring of his brain and actually get him to think. Honorable mention goes to Michelle Trachtenberg, who I was always more or less indifferent to as Dawn Summers, but brings Diane's lunacy to the fore really well. The ending, with Reid's face crumpling as horror turns to misery, kills me. It kills me every time.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 4

I think the reason behind that is that Reid was so much a novice to that type of thing, and rather than experiment with what might work best for him, he just went with what he knew. His need to escape was pretty hard-core, and he knew the Dilaudid would facilitate that. Not to mention knowing dosage already because of Hankel. Reid was more of an opportunistic addict, rather than a driven one, I think.

No matter how hard-core his need to escape, a person of Reid's experience and personality making the conscious choice to take Dilaudid will never ring true for me. Also, based on the Henkel episodes and the description of the effects of Dilaudid, making that his drug of choice while still working in the field and functioning in life is even more ridiculous.

• Love 1

Was Revelations before or after Amplification? Because Reid refuses to take any kind of narcotics when Dr. Kimora asks him if he wants something to ease his discomfort when he was infected by that anthrax strain.

Revelations was in season 2. Amplification was in season 4.

dusang, normally I would agree that it doesn't make sense for someone as intelligent as Reid to do something so stupid. There are several factors to take into consideration though. One is that studies have shown that when emotions are involved, the part of the brain that is involved with critical thinking sort of shuts off and vice versa. I do agree that the timeframe was not sufficient for Reid to have formed a physical addiction (although if he kept using it would take about 10 days for the physical withdrawal symptoms to dissipate). Given that I suspect Reid had little to no experience with narcotic painkillers at the time he probably never experienced whatever rush or high he got from the drugs. I think the main thing was that it was sort of like dreaming or sleeping where he didn't have to actively be sitting around thinking and processing things. It was a relief of sorts. The look on his face when Tobias said "tell me it doesn't help" (or something along those lines) and Reid couldn't deny it. If you noticed his body language, toward the end he actually started to look like he was slightly looking forward to the injection because it was his "escape" from the reality. Afterward he knew he would have to go back to the reality and face the memories of the people who died pretty much in front of him as well as the memories of the torture. He had come to associate the Dilaudid as something comforting and, being motivated by emotions of desperation and probably PTSD, he grabbed the Dilaudid.

Mind you, I think that is just my justification for it. I really do think it was sort of weak in follow through and execution in some ways. It wasn't believable that they wouldn't have sent him for some assessment to see if he needed counseling or whatever. While I do think the team recognized the symptoms, many of the symptoms were actually the same as PTSD so they were probably telling themselves that it was just PTSD and that they had to let him deal with it. So long as it didn't seem to be affecting his job performance much.

It was still better executed and more believable than the spy arc though.

• Love 3

I didn't enjoy the Reid addiction arc at all - except for how Hotch and Gideon handled it. While it might not be a realistic reaction for two FBI agents, that talk about 'do you want to keep doing this job that you love? Because you need to decide what you want more.' and getting him help him without getting him into official trouble on the understanding that he needed to follow through, both were a good recipe for a positive outcome. Really good boss stuff.

I thought it was a nice bit of bonding between him and Gideon too, since Gideon knew what having a breakdown (I know, they don't call it that anymore) felt like, and saw that Reid was heading that way.

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 1

He really seems to be proud of the voicework he did. He's been promoting the hell out of his side projects. He keeps saying that the writing for CM is great, but pretty much only when directly asked about it. He generally won't spontaneously mention Reid or CM. I don't know if that's because he doesn't want to detract from the other stuff or if he just isn't as in to CM anymore.

I liked the photos of Matthew next to Andrea Romano outside of the comic con (they were being given a lift in whatever you call those things that take people out to the parking lot).

I am glad to see that he hit it off with Andrea so well and I'm really glad that CCH Pounder does a voice in Assault on Arkham. Hopefully Matthew will get invited back to SDCC more often because it seemed like he was having fun and making people laugh.

• Love 1

Zannej, I feel that Matthew is girding his loins for the end of Reid, if not the end of CM. Everything we see (or don't see) him do in the CM world, all the attention he lavishes on his side projects, everything points to that, IMO. From the latest spoiler from EM about JLH's character, I'm not surprised. I think she might be in the process of breaking her toy.

• Love 2

As much as us Spencer fans want him to continue for 5 or 10 more years, I think a lot of us are feeling him pulling away, too. 

It's a slow process, and I won't like it, but ultimately will respect whatever Matthew's decision is. I'll always delight in seeing him wherever he pops up, and will promote and support his projects to the fullest. Truthfully, I can't see staying with CM if Spencer were to leave the team, not just because it's Matthew, but because Reid is such an integral cog within the dynamic that it would change forever - and not in a good way - if he were no longer there. He's one of the vital ingredients for the uniqueness of what they have, and why I love them so much. The only other one aside from Reid I consider irreplaceable, is Hotch.  

• Love 7

I could understand why MGG might want to leave CM and do other things since the writers can't be bothered to do much with Reid anymore, but I would hate to see that happen.

There is an episode where Reid and Hotch are interviewing a killer on death row.  He isn't answering their questions, so they decide to leave.  The killer them informs them he brought them there to kill them so he will get another trial and postpone his execution.  Hotch takes off his tie, and tells the killer he is going up against someone who sees him coming, and it won't be like blindsiding an innocent woman and murdering her.  Reid talks the killer down before Hotch does anything, and I've always wondered who Reid was more afraid of in that scene.

• Love 5

Well it's more than obvious that under EM's watch both Hotch and Reid have become less important. And JJ, Morgan and Garcia have become more important.

And from the looks of things we just might be able to add the character of Kate to the list of those who are more important then Hotch and Reid.

• Love 2

Reid and Hotch's 'B' story is the only reason I like Damaged as much as I do. The whole interview with Chester Hardwick was mesmerizing. Reid's brilliant, panicky solution to Hotch's machismo and the very scary situation they are in is pure gold. Also, one does not mess with a Hotchner that's just been served divorce papers! lol

• Love 4

He has nice hardwood floors. I remember seeing the real estate pics of his house-- very odd house and very neat. He's done quite a bit of customizing-- completely changed the fireplace, changed the wall colors, and I think he added some more covering to his stairs so they weren't just open on the rise part. I hope he didn't change his kitchen though. He had really cool cathedral style raised panel doors and the walltiles were nice. 

He likes to mix up pieces and has some old rough wood stuff as well as some elegant Rococco Revival Victorian style furniture. He tends to favor furniture with curves from the pictures he's posted.

• Love 1

Rather than have two separate threads for each actor and their character, we've always just put stuff about both within the character threads, normasm. 

Jeff Baena (directed Life After Beth) is Aubrey's boyfriend. Or was, last I heard. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmLipOlc33I

Have you guys seen these?! I think they've been around for awhile, but I'm just discovering them. Some supremely dedicated fan has put together two videos per season of approximately 7 1/2 minutes each that contain all the most amusing/entertaining Reid clips. The one I posted above is the first of two S2 videos, but I think they're all worth checking out!   

• Love 1

I can't remember if this got posted yet or not but there was an interview with Matthew about Life After Beth

http://www.nowtoronto.com/movies/story.cfm?content=199480

Some interesting things I picked up were that he "readily admits" that he doesn't get much of a chance to show his range while playing Dr. Reid. It also said that he wants to make people laugh but he's only been making people sad for the past decade while on Criminal Minds.

He seems to be demonstrating less interest in Criminal Minds and Reid in general. I know that maybe with time things get old, but I still think it has a whole hell of a lot to do with the writers. It is their fault that he doesn't get to show his range and that he makes people sad. Even when they make him the butt of the joke it just makes people sad to see his character being disrespected. I'm not saying the writers should suddenly make him a happy-go-lucky character or make things very cheesily happy for him, but it would be nice to see him have some sort of satisfaction in life and it would be nice for them to actually give him something to do other than spout stuff from wikipedia and be told to shut up. I sort of wonder if he realizes that the current showrunner isn't all that invested in his character and that the chances of him actually getting more to do are slim to none so maybe he's sort of given up on any hopes of that and is ready to move on.

Of course, I'm probably reading far too much into this, but I think its clear that he's not nearly as interested in playing Reid as he once was.

Edited by zannej
  • Love 2

I agree that he seems to want to move on. I commented on that point a while back, as well. Like we who have followed him a long time can kind of 'sense' that he's ready to go (and isn't that a weird thing? That some of you can nod and know exactly what I'm talking about, through a medium that is only little black letters.). 

I think though, that some are forgetting that season 8 Reid was very prevalent with the Maeve arc and that in season 9 he took a big swoop towards the actual heroic again. The last time he was treated abysmally by the writers was season 7. He was consistently shunted to the background, marginalized to a talking head, and the butt of everyone's jokes. Aside from the generally shitty writing, it is the main reason I refuse to buy the season. 

The appearance of Alex and her respect for his abilities served as a reminder to the rest of them of his value, and his loss of Maeve reminded them all of how much they love him. Nobody shushed him in 9, and his bravery and heroism was re-established as he saved other team members and victims lives again and again, became much more physical with and mentally outwitted UnSubs, delivered a baby while talking the UnSub down, and surviving his own gunshot neck.

All us Reid fans, and probably even others, want to see that continue in 10, and unless Matthew has deliberately asked to be dialed back, I'm hopeful they'll continue this path, even if they revisit his addiction. Concerns are not unfounded, however, and I hope what we fear the most for Reid does NOT come true.

• Love 1