Type keyword(s) to search

Rosa Diaz, Scourge of Giggling Pigs

• Start Topic

I just caught the Lockdown episode last night, which I think demonstrates really well what makes Rosa such a great character : her matter-of-fact love of Something's Gotta Give.

Most other shows would have the 'tough' character be embarrassed about liking a rom-com, or not admitting to even having seen it, only to have their secret shame revealed by the end of the episode. Whereas Rosa is the first (and only?) to proclaim that it's a great movie. It's almost a throwaway line, but I just thought it was hilarious.

• Love 2

Her best scene was the one where she had to call Jake out for undermining her task force. As a woman who works in a male-dominated field, it is absolutely critical that the people who for and with you take you seriously. She was effective, clear, and concise. I'm making a powerpoint breaking it down for future reference.

• Love 2

That scene stands out for me as well, heatherkay, for how Jake realizes what he's been doing wrong and tries to fix it. I really like that about this show; that it's not just relying on "Andy Samberg does something manchild," but that they treat Jake as an interesting, adult character who can change.

But overall, it's just a great Rose scene.

• Love 1

I'll make a third on that same topic, pointing out that on many cop shows (including some hourlong dramatic ones), what Jake had done would be seen as a good thing -- it's a desperate situation, some guy at a desk is thwarting them, so you do whatever's needed to get the job done, right? But Rosa pointed out, dispassionately but firmly, that cutting corners like that jeopardized future relationships, undermined the operation, and undermined her. And their being friends wasn't relevant this time, she was the boss and made the decisions. And Jake saw that, and immediately took steps to fix it.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 1