Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Loandbehold

Actors in Other Roles: Not Everyone Stayed in Sunnydale

On 7/24/2019 at 8:57 AM, lembergwatcher said:

What The Buff: The 15 Most Embarrassing Movie Roles Of Buffy Actors

https://www.cbr.com/embarrassing-buffy-actor-movie-roles/

Yowch!  I haven't even looked at the "embarrassing" roles, and I've already been hit with this:

Of course, in those sea of 8x10s waiting to be signed, it’s not often you’ll see any for projects that weren’t Buffy. Sure, David Boreanaz might get some Bones fans, or Alyson Hannigan some love for How I Met Your Mother, presumably from those who skipped the last two seasons.

Eek!  I quit HIMYM after episode 8.02, where the writer tried to meta-justify the absurd farce the show had become by having Ted "appreciate" the German TV show his girlfriend's ex-boyfriend adores ("It's got all these big characters…but it's got heart!") and I was like "fuck you forever, I remember when the plotting was believable (rather than having naked men with pet ferrets that lick his eyelids come and stay for no reason…and no, I am NOT making that up!), so don't make your shitty excuses on-air, assholes!" and I was out of there.

But I felt bad about leaving 40+ episodes of Alyson unwatched and I do have all of S8 on the computer so I was like "well, maybe, one day…".   But the description above really scares me off.  You mean after S7…it gets worse??  Yoicks.

(Yes, yes, the end of Symphony of Illumination is a thing of beauty…but it doesn't excuse the offensive turd that was rest of the episode, IMO.  Danielle "Debbie" Weekes guest-shot or no.  And there's only so much BrOTP-teasing/time-wasting I can take.)

ETA:  Some predictable choices (Amber is never going to live One-Eyed Monster down, I'm sure), but I don't know that I'd pump for Without a Paddle as Seth Green's embarrassment over Old Dogs.  (Or Knockaround Boys, if the Oz fans are feeling bitter.)  

And of course, Idle Hands should never have been in the conversation at all.

Edited by Halting Hex

What Still Remains, a 2018 post-apocalyptic thriller written and directed by Josh Mendoza. Starring Colin O'Donoghue (Captain Killian "Hook" Jones from Once Upon A Time), Lulu Antariksa (Rowan Fricks from T@gged) and Mimi Rogers (Sharon from The Rapture).

Jeff Kober (Zachary Kralik in Helpless, Rack in Wrecked, Villains & Two to Go) plays Zack, a creepy leader of the religious community.

So my TV is set to PopTV (for Big Brother After Dark) and stays there until I change the channel (as opposed to simply viewing content from my DVR).  So I notice that during the day, Pop is showing old-school Charmed and I'm like, you know, it was actually rather good during the first four seasons and this one ("All Hallows' Eve") looks interesting, I could do a rewatch.

And whom do I "C" (episode plot point) but Danielle "Debbie" Weeks, playing a supporting role in the coven run by Clare (Coach, Point Pleasant) Carey?

charmed304-coven.jpg

(That's just a walk-on on the left.  Although she somewhat resembles Clare.)

What makes this crossover IMO notable is that "All Hallows' Eve" is episode 3.04 of Charmed, just as Beauty and the Beasts is 3.04 of this series.  That's a nice bit of coincidence.

(No, Danielle is not limited to only 3.04 episodes.  Her How I Met Your Mother guest shot, the 95% abominable/5% awesome "Symphony of Illumination", is from Season 7 of that series.)

Edited by Halting Hex

Well, what can I say?..

36twjo.thumb.jpg.a235fe3bb62a6231a6dc4fa00e9a29bc.jpg

Ozark, an American crime drama web television series created by Bill Dubuque and Mark Williams for Netflix and produced by Media Rights Capital (renewed for a third season on October 10, 2018). Jason Bateman portrays financial planner Marty Byrde, and Laura Linney portrays his wife Wendy, a public relations consultant on political campaigns who became a housewife before the family moved to the Ozarks.

Ozark-season-2-1494460.jpg.9370ed1a9951c235628f68a5ee201ee8.jpg

Jordana Spiro (Callie Anderson, Buffy's and Cordelia's fellow sufferer at the hands of penis-shaped monster worshipping frat boys in S.02E.05 Reptile Boy) plays Rachel Garrison, owner of the Blue Cat hotel and bar, and Marty's reluctant business partner while Harris Yulin (Giles' old pal Quentin Travers in S.03E.12 Helpless, S.05E.12 Checkpoint and S.07E.09 Never Leave Me) portrays Buddy Dyker, the Byrdes' terminally ill tenant.

718925_1.1.thumb.jpg.49b2cc8e4f5263e14c6e696d2e7bdd19.jpg

Spiro also made an appearance in Praise be Praise - the 10th ep of Kitchen Confidential TV sitcom, in which Nicholas Brendon played one of the main roles.

6 hours ago, lembergwatcher said:

Spiro also made an appearance in Praise be Praise - the 10th ep of Kitchen Confidential TV sitcom, in which Nicholas Brendon played one of the main roles.

Wow, I didn't think Kitchen Confidential lasted even 10 episodes. But, according to Imdb, it reached 13. I remember that show premiered the same year as HIMYM and was, IIRC, generally given better reviews.

1 hour ago, Loandbehold said:

Wow, I didn't think Kitchen Confidential lasted even 10 episodes. But, according to Imdb, it reached 13. I remember that show premiered the same year as HIMYM and was, IIRC, generally given better reviews.

I don't think it actually aired that many episodes---filmed, yes. On dvd release (assuming there was one), yes. On broadcast (Fox) TV? I want to say...only 4... actually aired before the series was cancelled.

• Useful 1

5 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

There was a coterie of people on TWoP who praised it (because it didn't have a laugh track and HIMYM did, and because some people will support actors [such as Bradley Cooper] but bash actresses [like AH], almost reflexively), but it wasn't funny, the characters weren't drawn well (BCoop's "asshole-with-a-heart-of-gold" lead had nobody to balance him; Bonnie Sommerville, mediocre on creator Darren Star's far better Grosse Pointe, was fairly useless here), the usage was poor (Nick was reduced to a walk-on in the second episode, ffs, only appearing in the tag) and the restaurant setting was by definition restrictive.  

Tanked, and deserved it.  JMO.

Once Upon a Time TV series.

Eion Bailey (Kyle in The Pack) plays August Wayne Booth/Pinocchio (seasons 1-2, 4, 6)

Once-Upon-a-Time-season-4-Eion-Bailey1.thumb.png.89d5e063a472503ed5a0e7c7eeaabdf9.png

Emma Caulfield as Blind Witch (seasons 1, 5)

5ae9c93dd0d9741b733f0312e25dbe9a.png.9b9d2d955065a4836c23c61f654086d9.png

Dania Ramirez (SIT Caridad in three eps of the seventh season) portrays Cinderella/Jacinda Vidrio (season 7).

cinderella-once1.thumb.jpg.6fb4852b3984a8f9631f3573e0e53011.jpg

21 hours ago, lembergwatcher said:

Once Upon a Time TV series.

Eion Bailey (Kyle in The Pack) plays August Wayne Booth/Pinocchio (seasons 1-2, 4, 6)

Once-Upon-a-Time-season-4-Eion-Bailey1.thumb.png.89d5e063a472503ed5a0e7c7eeaabdf9.png

Emma Caulfield as Blind Witch (seasons 1, 5)

5ae9c93dd0d9741b733f0312e25dbe9a.png.9b9d2d955065a4836c23c61f654086d9.png

Dania Ramirez (SIT Caridad in three eps of the seventh season) portrays Cinderella/Jacinda Vidrio (season 7).

cinderella-once1.thumb.jpg.6fb4852b3984a8f9631f3573e0e53011.jpg

Wow, what a look for Emma?

Marc Blucas in two seasons of Necessary Roughness, a USA Network television series. Blucas played Matthew "Matt" Donnally - the New York Hawks football team athletic trainer, and later general manager, who was the main protagonist's love interest.

130612necessary-roughness-blucas1.jpg

NecessaryRoughness.jpg

NecessaryRoughness-S1-Blucas-2.jpg

preview (1)_FULL.jpg

On 11/27/2019 at 12:23 PM, lembergwatcher said:

Mary Stauffer's horrific kidnap ordeal at the hands of her obsessed student has been made into a Lifetime movie starring Alyson Hannigan

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7542537/Mary-Stauffers-horrific-1980-ordeal-turned-movie-starring-Alyson-Hannigan.html

NINTCHDBPICT000528480610.jpg

Amazing how makeup can make all the difference to an actress?