Type keyword(s) to search

My Five Wives - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Crazy Eyes Nonie bugs the crap out of me. She's a trip. Her husband has 23 kids (?), five wives, looks like he's about to drop dead from exhaustion, and all she can think of is getting knocked up a sixth time to pull her into a tie with Paulie for "who has birthed the most Brady spawn." Yeah, that's just what he needs. Another mouth to feed, you selfish cow. 

And is Robyn STILL blubbering about her ring, or lack there of? Jesus, woman. Get a grip. She even LOOKS needy as hell. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 3

well when Brady said so it's benign? She said NO It's isn't benign - they are still watching it. YES it IS because benign= not cancerous. This type of growth is not cancer. Yeah they are going to watch her. She is a woman with a family history and they found a benign lump, so they will do a mammo every year. In any case the mammograms are not going to save her life. She's already on top of it. If that lump suddenly felt very very different, she would know. 

What a hypochondriac!!

also I wish ONCE she would say I want to adopt a kid that has no home and no family. A special needs black ten year old that has to be placed with a sibling that no one wants. I think in this case they may give her a kid. But she acts like she is looking for a white infant. I mean she has NEVER said - i want to give a child a home who is living in a foster care or orphanage situation. Instead she says "I just always wanted to adopt, it's something always intrigued me" yeah ok.

• Love 5

Two of these children are serving missions. It sounds like LDS, but we know that's not true.

Just curious what you mean? LDS (mainstream Mormon church) and AUB (the Williams family's former religion) are not the same. Paulie's oldest son joined the LDS faith and is serving a mission for that church.

Just curious what you mean? LDS (mainstream Mormon church) and AUB (the Williams family's former religion) are not the same. Paulie's oldest son joined the LDS faith and is serving a mission for that church.

I know they aren't the same.  I thought it sounded like a LDS mission, but thought they would not be accepted into that religion.  Therefore, all the talk of missions was confusing. 

I assumed that when Brady left, he forced the whole family to go with him.  It always felt like Brady was forced out, but his wives and kids could have stayed.  As the older kids reach 18, some of them have probably gone back to LDS on their own. 

OMG, the kids are cute but what a snoozefest this week's show was!   They're getting into this pattern of digging deep to find "interesting" family events to showcase like the Brown's did much later in their series when things got boring.  If they don't find some high drama soon I can't imagine the ratings will be good.  I felt like this episode was similar to the Brown's, trying to convince everyone how normal and wonderful their relationship and polygamy is.  I hate that because it's obvious that it's no easy lifestyle and it gets on my nerves when they try to push it to the audience, meanwhile you can cut the tension with a knife.  Gag me with how bloody wonderful everything is.  Last season it was all about the dysfunctions between them with tears and conflicts every episode, and now we're just supposed to buy that everything is nicey nicey?

Rhonda calling up the adoption agencies was to me an attempt to make the audience sympathize with how they are victims of prejudice.  Did she really need to let them know about the polygamy up front?  That's just asking for trouble which to me is a cheap attempt to create show drama.  In fact, the whole adoption angle itself feels like a cheap attempt at show drama.  I'm already almost ready to take this off my DVR schedule because who needs a show that's already boring as heck and a rehash of the Kodouche family?  I've already seen all of this.  Same crap, different family.  Who cares if Rhonda can adopt?  Who cares if they move or if Nonie gets pregnant?  A picture book on bullying?  Like she didn't know that's been overdone already?  Zzzzzzz.......And who cares what the kids have to say?  They're cute but I think I need a nap.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 3

It's the same old story with polygamists:  jealousy, subtle sabotage of other wives, being persecuted (in this case by their own church) resulting in the need to move to another state, and the endless desire for more babies.  The only thing missing is the road trips, but I'm sure they'll be coming.  At least Brady's dad is back with his Bigfoot obsession next week, so we'll have a little humour.

• Love 3
well when Brady said so it's benign? She said NO It's isn't benign - they are still watching it. YES it IS because benign= not cancerous. This type of growth is not cancer. Yeah they are going to watch her. She is a woman with a family history and they found a benign lump, so they will do a mammo every year. In any case the mammograms are not going to save her life. She's already on top of it. If that lump suddenly felt very very different, she would know.

What a hypochondriac!!

Haha, yes. Her face when he said, "So it's benign?" was like - "No! Please don't stop paying attention to meeee!" It seems like plural marriage would create a lot of hypochondriacs. 

As long as she makes it about her and not the child, I hope she has no chance of adopting.

I agree. She came off like she read Face on the Milk Carton too many times and has been dreaming this weird adoption fantasy her entire life. 

• Love 3

Since Rhonda is in essence a single mother no longer working with 4-5 kids already, I can't imagine she would be the best candidate for adoption since there are so many childless couples out there.  I'm surprised she isn't just trying to have another one herself like Nonnie. Of course having just gone through a bankruptcy it is insane to have another child anyway!

• Love 3

Since Rhonda is in essence a single mother no longer working with 4-5 kids already, I can't imagine she would be the best candidate for adoption since there are so many childless couples out there.  I'm surprised she isn't just trying to have another one herself like Nonnie. Of course having just gone through a bankruptcy it is insane to have another child anyway!

But wait, they are sending her adoption paperwork, so the wheels are in motion....  These women do seem to like each other, but what a bunch of sad, lonely people they are. They giggle like 5 year olds when Brady the rooster is around, UGH. Oh, and Brady, if your company is doing so well and Rhonda quit her job, then why don't you chip in for the daughter's trip to Peru? Bake sales crack me up- so she made $300 plus, someone needs to subtract the cost of ingredients from all of those baked goods. Bet ya the profits go way down. These people are just plain boring.

Of course having just gone through a bankruptcy it is insane to have another child anyway!

Or to try to adopt--I think agencies want families who are financially stable (which to Rhonda's dismay, may even outweigh the fact she is polygamist).

• Love 1

At least Brady's dad is back with his Bigfoot obsession next week, so we'll have a little humour.

Yeah but we've been through this already, once was enough.  I FF'd a lot last week, I don't need to watch polygamists put out puppet shows for the TLC cameras, no thank you.

• Love 3

Didn't Rhonda make a similar phone call to adoption agencies last season?  When I saw that in the previews I thought it was a repeat of last season's phone call.  Then when I saw the show I realized it was another virtually identical phone call.  Lather, rinse, repeat indeed.

• Love 5

Didn't Rhonda make a similar phone call to adoption agencies last season?  When I saw that in the previews I thought it was a repeat of last season's phone call.  Then when I saw the show I realized it was another virtually identical phone call.  Lather, rinse, repeat indeed.

She did, and she's just doing it for the cameras.  She thinks she's somehow making it better by saying something about how this child will help her own children gain understanding and perspective about another culture, or maybe she wants another kid but doesn't want to further contribute to the overpopulation of the world, or she's hoping to bring in a child from the outside and 'save' it, or some other lofty goal. 

I personally think that Rhonda wants to either get more attention from Brady because she's dealing with an adoptive child rather than any other wife who would be dealing with a child born into this mess.  Adoptive means more time and attention, at least to Rhonda.  Another reason could be that this family is already trying to emulate the Brown bunch by bringing in an outside child to meld with the family.  No matter how they package it, this adoptive child would be brought in with a job to do. 

This family has no new hook.  This is the Browns all over again.  The similarities are obvious.  The women are already competing for Loser's attention.  The 'persecution' is already in play.  The bit about being forced to move is being discussed, could a flight in the night and the drama of settling in a new place be far behind?

Despite the drama of settling 20+ people in a new place overnight, and the worries about being accepted by their new neighbors, the family trips aren't far behind.  The commitment ceremonies will come.  Will Brady try to bring in a new wife?  Oh, the anticipation of it all.

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 2

Also, if they're receiving AFDC as single mothers, which I assume the unmarried ones are -- explaining why Rhonda doesn't have to work if she doesn't want to --  another child means more money from the gub-mint.  Some polygamists refer to this as "bleeding the beast."

• Love 1

And the fact that Rhonda likely can't understand why an adoption agency might object to that particular approach to providing for a child being brought into a family further proves her delusion.

Nope, it's all about those old anti-polygamy meanies persecuting her/them.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 4

Also, if they're receiving AFDC as single mothers, which I assume the unmarried ones are -- explaining why Rhonda doesn't have to work if she doesn't want to --  another child means more money from the gub-mint.  Some polygamists refer to this as "bleeding the beast."

I assumed that Rhonda was working because they needed the money.  I think Paulie is a dental hygienist?  Now whether they have ever received some type of public assistance, I don't know.  I wish they'd address things like this honestly.  I mean, feel free to have as many kid as you want to, but make sure that you can provide for them all.  I'm still confused as to why this show makes it seem like Brady's business is booming, but we know that he filed for bankruptcy.  He said that he only had three bucks and change in his bank account, so what happened?

I cannot get over how stinking cute Tailee is. Love that kid!

This episode served as a PSA to The Duggars: Here's a family BIGGER than yours and it seemed as if each kid was successful packing their own bags for a road trip. So get over yourselves and give your daughters a fucking break!

• Love 3

I threw up in my mouth a little with this episode. I do not want to hear about Grandpa Rod's (no pun intended) "applicator" or his going commando under a kilt. This is a HUGE difference between these people and the Browns. Can you imagine Kody's father showing off his "applicator" to all of the wives, not to mention the children??? Kody & his wives don't even discuss their sex lives, but the William's grandfather is an exhibitionist in front of women & children & Brady thinks it's funny. Totally disgusting, IMHO. 

ETA: thank God he wore shorts for the tug-o-war!  :-)

ETA: I loved Rod's wife, Stella. Such a sweet lady.

Edited by burgerbitz
  • Love 4

For the love of everything holy! Grandpa Rod is chewing up the scenery! He is a breakout star!! I am in tears here at his theatrics with all the kids and the tipi! Wow! This guy is on some awesome meds obviously! Talking about his "junk"..universes..he's what my gramma used to call a hambone. Just mucked it up for the

cameras.Paulies oldest boy....for lack of a better word..he aint right. Lights are on but nobody's home there. I would love a side by side of this guy and special Josie Duggar...jus sayin.

Oh and previews look like Nonies pregnant! Hallalooooer!

Edited for typos.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 2

Did anyone else notice the gigantic OOPS by Rhonda as the vans were pulling away for their 21 hour drive?  The van stops, and she says  "Oh no, I forgot Nick!".  Umm - first of all, I guess we all know why Brady reminds his wives to get all of  "their"  children.  And secondly, I don't think you're going to get very far with adoption if you forget one of your own kabillion kids for a road trip.  Just sayin'

• Love 2

Maybe they're trying to play it off as being funny.  I know a woman who got 30 miles from home before she remembered she'd forgotten her 6 month old (she'd put him down for a nap while packing for a trip).  Because he was so mellow and slept a lot, she just plain forgot to put him in the car, unlike her oldest kids who were live wires from morning to night and wouldn't allow themselves to be forgotten.

This was back when car seats were a novelty and cell phones hadn't been invented yet.  In her hurry, she glanced at the basket in the back seat and saw that something was in there and only realized later that her other kids had put their toys and jackets in the basket.  She figured it out when she saw that her 2 year old was riding in the basket and pretending it was a horse.

Rushing home she was frantic, while her husband was upset that this set their travel itinerary behind, and the other kids were jumping around because they had to go back home instead of going to see Grandma and Grandpa (seat belts were pretty much ignored if your car had them).  Anyway, baby was still soundly asleep and all was well, but now that over 50 years have passed it's funny now.

Grandpa Rod -- what an attention-seeking famewhore.  For a second, I thought his sit-down with Brady was going to go something like "I think one of the grandkids saw my applicator under my kilt, what should I say" but no, it was about how God didn't create any "junk."  Then, the sex talk with reference to Brady's mother.  Shudder.

How many times did the word "bigfoot" get mentioned in this episode anyway?  Too bad bigfoot didn't emerge from the woods to grab Applicator Rod and skedaddle.

• Love 3

The speech problems with some of the little kids is bugging me more each episode.  It isn't helping me that the ad industry is finding it cute to put kids who can't speak properly in commercials expecting the viewers to find it cute.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 1

This show is mind-numbingly boring. Paulie is stone-cold, Nonie is a selfish opportunist (I want another baby for the collection), Rhonda is a hypochondriac and drama queen. Rosemary is probably the most real and normal out of them and Robyn looks like she could break at any given minute. Brady is starting to rate on the douche meter right up there with Kody from SW. Brady's dad is certifiable but Stella is a sweetheart.  

I'm just sick of everyone pretending they all get along. So contrived.

Edited by Chez
  • Love 1

Loved Stella.  And even though Grandpa Rod is certifiable, he does a lot right.  He was teaching the kids while building the tepees and using a compass on the hike.  And both grandparents got right in the middle of it during the tug of war.  Yes, Rod is "eccentric," but the younger kids eat up his stories and the older kids are on to him.

Why didn't Brady go to a doctor if he was in so much pain? 

• Love 3

Nonie is beyond insufferable.  If Paulie, (the legal wife) can have six children, then she can too.  I am convinced that if for whatever reason Paulie were to leave the family, Nonie, who is wife #4, would climb over the timid backs of Robyn and Rosmary to become wife #1. 

Unlike the Sister Wives, I find that the characters of these ladies are more easily defined.  Paulie is not very warm and she acts superior; Robyn is the constant crier who lacks self esteem; Rosemary is the funny one; Nonie is the most domineering and Rhonda is easy going and Brady’s clear favorite.

Loved Stella.  And even though Grandpa Rod is certifiable, he does a lot right.  He was teaching the kids while building the tepees and using a compass on the hike.  And both grandparents got right in the middle of it during the tug of war.  Yes, Rod is "eccentric," but the younger kids eat up his stories and the older kids are on to him.

Why didn't Brady go to a doctor if he was in so much pain? 

Because if Brady went to a doctor, that doctor would have given him a pain-killer and he would have had no excuse to not give Rosemary some lovin' on her night.

Edited by MarkySnark

Rhonda: for the last time, having "a family history of cancer" does not equate to having cancer.  Lots of women have lumpy breasts and even fibroadenomas and just deal.  It does not entitle you to a group therapy session with Brady's mother, who actually DID have breast cancer.  OMG, that woman is annoying!  I gather they've decided that the cute little blonde girl is the best thing they've got going here...

Also: "P's (plural) and t (singular)"...  What?

• Love 2

I feel Paulie is his favorite.  She dotes on him and is always in his lap.  I think Rhonda is a close second.  She's the one that got away, but she's a little high maintenance with her constant non-breast cancer, adoption obsession, and will I/won't I quit my job.

Nonie comes in third - he's indulging her desire to have a baby after refusing Rosemary.  Rosemary and Robyn come last.  I think he prefers Rosemary because she's outgoing and fun.  I feel the least connection with Robyn, and I wonder if it's because he wasn't raised around that type of "keep sweet" woman.

To be fair, I think Brady hides his favoritism pretty well, specially in comparison to Kody Brown.

• Love 2

I guess I'm the exception, but I'm over Tailee (sorry!). The constant talking heads are just too much! Yes, we get it. She's cute. But this episode alone, she had 12 separate talking heads. TWELVE. Give some other kids a chance to talk!

I wasn't surprised at all to see the commercial showing Brady announcing he and "Aunt Nonie" are having a baby. They've been hiding her stomach all season, and when they do show it, she clearly looks far enough along that she didn't just barely find out during their trip to WA. Kind of like how Brady and Paulie's daughter's announcement was a reinactment, since she was also far enough along that it was obvious she was pregnant.

• Love 5

Well, it seems these people can leave home on time and not dither forever while taking a road trip. Kudos to Brady, the pee Nazi - Kodouche, take notes. 

But, did Rhonda seriously almost forget a kid??? Good luck with adoption. 

I really like Brady's parents. His mom seems like a sweetheart, and his dad's Bigfoot obsession is hilarious. I would totally be out there, combing the woods with him. 

It happens sometimes.  I've met a few people who've done that when they're in a hurry, but always remembered in time to prevent a catastrophe.  They were lucky enough to not have cameras shooting the situation, and although it was funny years later, it wasn't funny at the time.

I feel Paulie is his favorite.  She dotes on him and is always in his lap.  I think Rhonda is a close second.

Paulie might be Brady’s favorite, but Rhonda is the only one with whom he seems romantically interested.  When he hugs and kisses her it comes across as sincere and heartfelt; with the others it seems more like an obligation. Rhonda seems confident in her relationship with him, while the others have to think of ways to get his attention.  Sad!

People smuggled babies into homes inside boxes so the neighbors didn't suspect polygamy?

I'd be a little amazed if they had neighbors who watched them enough to notice different women carrying babies in and out of the house. Then again I've always live in neighborhoods were no one could identify each other if they had to let alone how many people lived in one house. We don't have block parties, we don't know each other's names, and no one notices each other. Not antisocial, just not that interested.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 1

Is it really that weird that other women with babies would maybe visit a house where another woman with babies lived? Maybe playdates? Day care? Lots of sisters with kids? Lots of things would cross my mind before I'd go to polygamy.

Frankly, I'd be more suspicious of random women continuously walking in and out of my neighbors house with big boxes.

• Love 5
Frankly, I'd be more suspicious of random women continuously walking in and out of my neighbors house with big boxes.

The neighbors, the police, vice, the local bomb squad I imagine would find that suspicious. Its a toss up to whether they would think it was drugs or bombs. 

• Love 1