Type keyword(s) to search

My Five Wives - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I like Nonnie, she is the only one that doesn't seem like a Stepford Wife to me. I really can't stand the little girl voices, the giggling, the pretending they are all in with the other wives have sexy time with Brady. I continue to think he has serial killer eyes and looks like he could blow up at a moment's notice. Loved the big surprise of him opening up a barn door-these women really don't expect much.

I couldn't believe that student apartment where you cannot have coffee with caffeine or have a friend use your bathroom. What, do they come into your place with a caffeine meter? I understand it is a religious choice, but thats just it, it should be a choice.

• Love 4

I thought I was going to die laughing when Nonie asked Brady, "do you want me to tell you when I am ready" with regards to her attempts to get pregnant by calculating her most fertile times, and Brady looked at her like he had no clue what she was talking about. Maybe instead of that Philosophy degree, he should take some high school level biology classes.

• Love 8

That Paulie is sneaky and stealthy, but she completely fooled me the first time around at least for awhile she came off at least to me exactly the way a first wife seems. Very soft spoke, uncertain and seemed like she was worried about making waves at least that's what I thought of her in the beginning. And a couple episodes in. Then there were moments were you realized Paulie was getting exactly what she wanted, she managed to sweetly get more time with Brady at the cost of someone else, and my favorite was the interview. When they were replaying the first episode with Nonie going off like a psycho. There was a perfect little picture of Paulie watching with a wicked smiled. Yep, she knew exactly what button to push to cause that and did it on purpose. She's stealthy.

Superstealth. She just looks so sour to me. She hates doing the show for sure.

Edited by wrestlesflamingos
quote tags

I can't wait to see what happens in the double date episode.  Paula and Rosemary go on a double date with Brady and from the commercials, it doesn't look as though either of them are very happy with that at all.  At.  All.  It really looks to me that most of the other wives walk on eggshells around Paula.  I cannot imagine living with that kind of stress. 

If they're trying to sell the polygamy lifestyle, they're doing a very poor job of it.  Yikes.

Are we not dividing this show up into episodes?

Some thoughts I had:

1. Bangs ladies!  When you have huge foreheads I cannot concentrate on the babble coming out of your mouth.  Especially Rhonda suggesting adding a few "sex" nights in so sister wife Nonie can get pregnant? Gross!

2.  I seriously think that whole post date "wifechat" was a set up for the show.  No one wanted to be there hearing about Robin's ring/horse date.  No one.

3.  Bathroom for 30 people camping trip? 

• Love 1

Well... I think these wives get along better than "Sister Wives". I can't stand either Kody or Brady but there IS a sense or friendship between these women.

Yes - and paradoxically at least three of them seem a hair width away from curling up in a corner in the fetal position and have a nervous breakdown.

Rhonda has a job and is into the polygamy thing and Rosemary shrugs off the nonsense.

• Love 2

Marriage and polygamy gives me the willies. I am a female so polyandry would send me over the edge. It's more fun to have a boyfriend.

I hate seeing these women put so much of their emotional self-worth into a tool like Brady.

• Love 2
If they're trying to sell the polygamy lifestyle, they're doing a very poor job of it.  Yikes.

Yes, they are. What exactly are the pros again? Its hard to see any when they always seem crying or about to cry.  Even if your not the type to be in normal marriage people generally have seen or know couples who are happily married. Has there ever been an example of happy polygamist family? The Williams certainly aren't and neither are the Browns. I mean you listened to the wives on this episode talking about how at their daughters' ages they basically were expect to marry or being about to marry. None of them sounded particularly happy about it. I mean, my mother and her friends say the same thing it was the era they lived in, except they were happy about it because they were in love and wanted to get married. 

• Love 1

Oh my gosh, boring. I fell asleep several times and then forgot to even come here and post. 

All I've taken away is that now that Robyn pitched a fit, Brady got her a ring - and now NONIE is jealous. So I bet next he'll get her a ring and then Rosemary will get jealous! It will be a neverending cycle. Heck, even my 4 and 6 year olds know I don't buy them the exact same crap at the exact same time. But these grown women don't seem to get it. 

Also, can they stop calling the three senior girls triplets? They are NOT triplets. Sorry, I know that's minor, but for some reason it bugged. 

I can't wait to see what happens in the double date episode.

The producers had to have come up with that crap. I'm not saying Brady is a genius, but surely he knows better than to try and force his wives to share MORE of their time with him, when they're already complaining about that as it is????

Well... I think these wives get along better than "Sister Wives". I can't stand either Kody or Brady but there IS a sense or friendship between these women.

I think when you take it out of the context of them having to share Brady, they definitely have more of a bond than the Brown women. When they're talking about Brady, they are tense and you can sense insecurities and jealousy. But when they're dealing with kids or personal issues, I sense a real connection between some of them. Rosemary and Robyn seem to be super close, as well as Nonie and Rhonda. I see them hanging out a lot on their off nights and genuinely enjoying each other's company - unlike the Brown women, who seem grudgingly forced to hang out together. 

I sense a real connection between some of them. Rosemary and Robyn seem to be super close, as well as Nonie and Rhonda. I see them hanging out a lot on their off nights and genuinely enjoying each other's company - unlike the Brown women, who seem grudgingly forced to hang out together. 

Rosemary and Robyn are first cousins and I believe Nonie and Rhonda live next to each other. 

Brady’s favorites seem to be Paulie and Rhonda.  I’ve noticed that Rhonda is the only wife with whom he is openly affectionate.  He appears to be afraid of Nonie.  I wonder how it was decided that she would be the one who would work with him.  The way Brady treats Robyn and Rosemary is appalling.  He forgets (or ignores) their anniversaries and seems to resent having to spend time with them.  I believe the only reason he married those two was so that he’d have the five wives needed to get into the celestial kingdom.

While the ladies appear to get along for the most part, I suspect they have hurts and resentments just like the Browns.  The only wife who doesn’t seem to have an issue with Paulie is Rhonda.  I agree with the poster who said that Rhonda (much like Christine Brown) seems to embrace the lifestyle.

• Love 2

Oh my gosh, boring. I fell asleep several times and then forgot to even come here and post. 

All I've taken away is that now that Robyn pitched a fit, Brady got her a ring - and now NONIE is jealous. So I bet next he'll get her a ring and then Rosemary will get jealous! It will be a neverending cycle. Heck, even my 4 and 6 year olds know I don't buy them the exact same crap at the exact same time. But these grown women don't seem to get it. 

Also, can they stop calling the three senior girls triplets? They are NOT triplets. Sorry, I know that's minor, but for some reason it bugged. 

Yes, I have triplets, all from me, the ONE mom.  They are not triplets :)

Brady’s favorites seem to be Paulie and Rhonda.

I remember reading last season or watching the show, that Brady and Rhonda dated before he married Paulie and she was "the one that got away" so perhaps that is why she is a favorite.

• Love 1

I wonder about the accuracy of that family tree, because it states that Rhonda was born in 1980, which would make her 34 years old. That is incorrect.  Rhonda is the oldest wife.  She is 43 years old. 

Edited by Adeejay

Yeah, that bad birth date has been floating around the internet for a while. But the person who runs The Principle site does a pretty good job at family trees and has made posts correcting their mistakes in the past. Plus they acknowledge that fundamental Mormon family trees always have some degree of inaccuracy due to the secretive nature of the sects and name-changing/wife assigning/lack of record keeping that occurs. It's interesting to see the same dozen names or so running through all the trees that have been posted to the site.

Brady just seems to me to be VERY aware of the cameras and to be the polygamist version of politically correct.  I agree with others who have said that Rhonda seems to be the most content and the least jealous.  Maybe that is because she has known Brady for years and really knew exactly what she was getting into before she joined "the family". 

I agree about being the last wife. Not only have they never had to deal with the change in dynamics that comes with adding a new wife, they're also the "newest". More fresh. More fun for the husband, usually. I also think Rhona probably feels content given that she dated Brady before he even married Paulie. She might feel like she was his "one true love", given that he came back to her all those years. But I also feel she just has a more relaxed personality than the rest of them. So it's kind of a combination of all of the above, IMO.

• Love 4

I think most of them are not really into doing the show and feel awkward when they're being filmed and that's why we get super low voices.... awkward scenes.... 

Did Nonie say she's 35?? I feel like she looks/acts like she's in her mid-40s.

Paulie in her TH talking about how she never meant to hurt Rosemary... those shark eyes of hers. She can smile and use that baby voice all she wants - those cold eyes tell the truth!

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 9

Even though I guess it worked out in the end, I love how Brady's idea for double dates initially backfired, meaning double the work for him instead of half!!

Also, it seems like no one in that family knows how to pronounce the word 'drown.'

Edited by woodscommaelle

Apparently everyone in the family is visually impaired.  When the married daughter was making her pregnancy announcement on Father's Day, she really looked pregnant.  I have a feeling that wasn't really filmed on Father's Day, though.  If the baby is due in early February, she would have been maybe 6 weeks pregnant on Father's Day, yet she looked at least 4 months along.

• Love 4

Apparently everyone in the family is visually impaired.  When the married daughter was making her pregnancy announcement on Father's Day, she really looked pregnant.  I have a feeling that wasn't really filmed on Father's Day, though.  If the baby is due in early February, she would have been maybe 6 weeks pregnant on Father's Day, yet she looked at least 4 months along.

Thank you! I was thinking three months but wasn't entirely sure so didn't want to make any assumptions.

• Love 1

I was thinking three months but wasn't entirely sure so didn't want to make any assumptions.

I have a feeling 75% of this show is scripted and/or re-enacted.  I believe Carly’s pregnancy reveal was a re-enactment.  Father’s day was June 15; Carly’s due date is in February, which means that when she supposedly told her parents she would have been about four weeks along.  But, based on the size of her midsection, that was clearly not the case.  The dinner scene with her parents had to have been taped in September, because she looked to be about four months. 

The double dates seemed contrived.  I found it interesting that the two wives that don’t get along just happened to be the two that were picked.

• Love 3

I wanted to pop him with a stick when he was getting into bed with Rhonda and smirked,"It's Rhonda's night and she deserves her time." What Rhonda deserves (besides a good haircut) is a good shake and somebody to say,"What is wrong with you women putting up with this douche?!"

Although points to Rosemary for not bringing an extra change of clothes for him on the kayaking trip.

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Love 8

I wanted to pop him with a stick when he was getting into bed with Rhonda and smirked,"It's Rhonda's night and she deserves her time."

I am willing to bet if it were Robin's or Rosemary's night, he wouldn't have been so fair minded.   

• Love 2

I think Nonie seemed jealous of Carly when she announced her pregnancy. Paulie must love that she will have one up on the other wives - first grandchild. Life is one big competition in these polygamist marriages.

Yes, she was for sure. It is all about "one-upping" in these polygamist homes, right? Paulie won this one over Nonie. I really like Rosemary tho..she seemed genuinely excited as did the other wives. 

Just a wee bit of snark: that onesie/ jumpsuit did absolutely nada for Rhonda....like nada.

• Love 3

I don't know that Nonie was necessarily jealous, but these women act like they're experiencing lifelong fertility, instead of an unsuccessful few months of trying for an addition to their already bloated family.  I think Nonie showed vulnerability and true emotion, whereas Michelle Duggar, pushing fifty and with nineteen kids, baby talks with an insane look in her eyes that says I'm going to kill you and steal your newborn.

Karly seems nice enough, but she has the same limp dishrag personality as her mother.

• Love 8

And given that it seems the daughter and son-in-law don't have a job, it's yet another family for Brady to support - good thing the government is there to chip in and bankruptcy will release him from all the debts.

• Love 2

There was something off-putting about Brady pushing Carlie and her husband to hurry up and get pregnant, talking about how much he wants to be a grandpa (while trying to get one of his own wives pregnant, mind).  Then when he found out that Carlie was, indeed, pregnant, he handed out high fives.  Is that weird to anyone else?  My father was pretty happy when I told him I was expecting and he gave me a hug, but a high five to me and/or my then-husband would've squicked me right out.  There's too much of a "Job well done" and even a "yeah, man" feel to it.  Like a friend who was encouraging us to screw.  Creepy. 

• Love 5
That was really booorrrrrinnng... almost as boring as the Browns.  I FF'd a lot.

It was. I sat there painting my nails and hoping it would be over soon. 

And I agree with those who think most of it is set-up. First of all, I don't care how pressed for time he is, there's no way Brady would think double dates were a good idea. Second, it's no coincidence that Paulie and Rosemary got the first one together. Please. 

There was something off-putting about Brady pushing Carlie and her husband to hurry up and get pregnant, talking about how much he wants to be a grandpa (while trying to get one of his own wives pregnant, mind).

It's weird to me, because I tend to assume people get the grandparent itch after all of their kids are grown and out of the house. And they're kind of missing having kids around. But these people still have TONS of youngins running around. 

• Love 3

Brady's response to the pregnancy bugged me, too.  Of course, I'm sure what we saw was a reenactment, and he's just not that good an actor.  But the high fives were creepy.  My dad was not much of a hugger, but he hugged me when he found out I was pregnant.  He was happy for ME; Brady seems happy for himself.  Because, of course, he is what really matters.  UGH.

• Love 2

Karly seems nice enough, but she has the same limp dishrag personality as her mother.

The dishrag personality is contagious in this family and makes this show really hard to watch sometimes. I've only seen personality from 2 people in this humungous familiy: Nonie and the little blue eyed 5-6 yo girl who talked about smores and hating packing in her TH. Everyone else is boring white bread. The best of Sister Wives were the teens. They gave life to the show. The teen in this Williams' clan don't quite seem normal - no lives separate from their families, I don't hear about their dreams and aspirations, no rebellion, no fun/laughing, nothing. They remind me of cookie cutter houses in the suburbs - quiet, identical, neat, and boring.  

• Love 2

How long had Nonnie been TTC at this point?  She made it seem like this was a big issue but at the same time I wasn't sure it hadn't just been that she didn't get pregnant the first month like she did with her other children.  And who seriously considered doing bbt to chart your fertility needing "help"? 

• Love 1

That sport would more properly be called "river rafting" or "floating," as those were duckies (not kayaks), and no one has much control over those inflatable things on moving water...  Kayaking isn't that hard, but we might not have seen as much of Paulie among the pussy willows, which WAS pretty entertaining!  OMG, must we subjected to Rhonda's benign fibroadenoma every episode as long as this show shall live?  What a non-story!  I'm a big fan of reality TV in general, but this bunch puts even me to sleep; bring back the crazy Browns!

• Love 3

These people infuriate me! Hey Dipshit Brady, Nick totally didn't look buckled in properly, the "crisis" that made Rhonda decide to quit her job was when she realized you are incapable of caring for her children, if Nonie didn't even know if she was pregnant horseback riding is not dangerous. (I'm not even sure it would be dangerous if she were far along). And, that was terrible that Robin had to do something terrifying to her, to participate in the idiotic twofer date.

The talk about the big contracting bid, and how the wives don't have to work now, completely pissed me off...knowing they later filed for bankruptcy.

• Love 7