Type keyword(s) to search

My Five Wives - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Tamron did ask the hard questions.  Glad they got to go to NYC.

I guess Robyn isn't preggos after all.

I don't know what city they live in, but they'd make me feel unwelcome if I moved there because I'm not AUB?  It's unbelievable that they are made to feel unwelcome.  How does that manifest itself?  I'm curious.

Paulie looked especially guarded and sneaky.  Robyn looks fragile, like she's about to collapse into a pile of salt.  Rosemary looks hurt and beat.  Nonie has claws and crazy going for her.  I'm not sure if Rhonda would be so cool without a full time job away from the plyg circus.

Nice to know that Sister Wives is going to be a whole season of joory informercials.  Thanks for the warning preview!

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • Love 1

I don't know what city they live in, but they'd make me feel unwelcome if I moved there because I'm not AUB?  It's unbelievable that they are made to feel unwelcome.  How does that manifest itself?  I'm curious.

One of the boys had said he was bullied at school and suggested that it was someone from the church.  

Paulie reminds me of someone I know.  She talks in the same soft, quiet voice and is a master manipulator.  I just don't trust that woman.

Good God, this was boring to watch.  There were no new revelations or new drama.  It was just rehashing the same crap that they concocted to create their storylines.  I was especially annoyed when all the wives seemed to be hurting about something or other, and Brady thought it would help to gush about how proud he is of them and their strength, and pat himself on the back because they all wanted to be with him... glorious him. 

I really feel like none of these wives had much of a choice in the matter, due to their upbringing.  I realize Rhonda rejected him the first time he wanted to marry her because she didn't want to be a first wife.  But, did any of the other women tell him "Brady, I don't hardly know you, I definitely don't love you, and I'm not going to marry you."?  I'm being facetious, of course.

I really hope these weirdos aren't getting a second season. 

Paulie said she had considered leaving the family when they left the religion, but couldn't leave (waving her hand around) "the family". I think what she meant was she didn't want to give up the control she had over the other four wives. She makes all their lives miserable and enjoys every minute of it. When Tamron asked Rosemary if she and Paulie had worked things out about Paulie interfering with Rosemary's time with Brady, Rosemary first yes they had talked, then said she had misunderstood Paulie. What was there to misunderstand? Either Paulie is interrupting or not. Rosemary's feelings are valid, there is nothing to misunderstand. Also, notice Brady didn't say one word during that entire conversation. He is just as responsible as Paulie for the interruptions. He needs to man up and keep the schedule.

I'm glad that Rhonda addressed how she is following through with the lump issue. Testing for the cancer gene and possible surgery, with a very reasonable and responsible talk about options and responsibilities. It was a vast improvement from the Rhonda we were seeing during the show.

It is sad that the show is using a serious issue for ratings. As we know, Rhonda has never had breast cancer yet they hint that it was the case. Then the "scare" that drags out several weeks.

She would have had a history of long before this. Not even taking a test but the fake threat used on the viewers is sad.

Mayo Clinic states, "Fibrocystic breasts are composed of tissue that feels lumpy or rope-like in texture. Doctors call this nodular or glandular breast tissue. It's not at all uncommon."

Then all the tears and trying to make us think she has bad news when the doctors want to confirm the diagnosis. This woman is not stable enough to raise children if this is how she handles this. Then she doesn't tell Brady first but calls everyone together for the big reveal. And she is suppose to be working in the medical field? Looks like she is only qualified to change the paper on the exam table.

Breast cancer is too serious to bring it up to hook women into the show.

• Love 1

Tell-all = tell-nothing. Meh.

I get the overwhelming sense that Brady decided to leave the church, the wives followed, but the wives still pretty much believe in everything they used to. I mean, I get it - they were raised that way and your upbringing is powerful in shaping your life.

• Love 1

I can't rip into Rhonda about her reaction to the possible breast cancer - that was frightening for her after watching her own mother die of it.  I hope she has learned from this and if she sees or feels any changes, that she get herself checked right away and not put it off.  That right there contributed to the fright she felt because she knew full well this could have been a fatal move.

As for Paulie - wow.  What a bitch face she has.  The other wives look very wary of her, and perhaps even rather frightened of her.  The way Paulie looked at them when they answered questions felt more like an intimidating staredown.  I really hope Rosemary doesn't back down - it probably took all sorts of courage to bring it up to Brady that Paulie was sabotaging Rosemary's time with him.

(edited)

I'd have told the lady that some of these questions are none of her business, but then I wouldn't be sharing my man with four other women, either.  Poor Rosemary was squirming like a bug under a microscope being called upon to explain her issues with Paulie.  The makeup was a bit heavy-handed, but at least Brady didn't look like a Werewolf of London.  Will be glad to have the Crazy Browns back!

Edited by all4mom
  • Love 1

Being on a reality show isn't just having cameras follow you around. It is a full-time job. It would be difficult to keep a 9 to 5 job around the endless production meetings, required travel for promotion, primping yourself/children/home to be camera-ready (because blogs will talk shit about you for every stray hair, dirty dish, or extra pound they see), creating storylines to keep people interested (let's be real, no one's real life is naturally full and interesting enough to fill an entire season of episodes, so the job requires that you create drama), and writing books/starting businesses/doing lectures to try to capitalize on this opportunity. In fact, it would actually be easier to sit at a desk for 8 hours and answer phones. This TLC gig is not a career, but it is certainly a job.  

(edited)

I expect it will be fall at the earliest.  Their ratings aren't great so TLC isn't going to invest a lot in them so not a big season order.

Edited by Absolom

I'm glad that this got renewed for a second season.  I agree that they are a bit boring but at least this group acknowledges the difficulties of their situation. I like that they have disagreements and argue with each other.  At least it feels more real than the Browns. The Browns are still desperately trying to convince us that polygamy is awesome and amazing and full of blessings that we poor sad lonely monogamists can never know.   These guys know that it's shitty but they're trying to make the best out of a bad decision (or 5) and keep their family together. 

• Love 3

Thanks for the not at all shocking news.  It's a generally non-sustainable way of life.  I wonder if a second job instead of spending on a useless philosophy degree would have made any difference.

• Love 4

During one of the shows I watched, Brady was trying to convince one of the ladies to quit her job. Plus they tried to convince us they were ready to adopt. Plus move and build or acquire a compound in another state.. And they sent one of the kids on a trip to Africa. And I think Brady gave one of the wives permission to have another baby. Etc.

Now they want over $400,000 in debt written off, including $180,000 in credit card debt? Bankruptcies like this are criminal!

• Love 7
(edited)

Did anyone else notice that during a majority of the group meal scenes they were eating soup? If I recall correctly, it looked like the same soup every time. They either really REALLY like that soup or it's always the same group scene.

ETA: Ha, I see someone upthread mentioned the same thing.

Edited by RGSG99

These people are disgusting.  Who pays for these bankruptcies, when all is said and done?  The rest of us that manage our money properly.

With all this debt, they wanted whatsherface to quit her job???

Let them all get goddam jobs and pay their debts.

I'm willing to bet they're lying/hiding money someplace.

For sure all the non-Paulie wives are milking the beast as "single mothers" - these losers that don't deserve their own husband should be ashamed of themselves and hide in a hole.

• Love 1

These people are disgusting.  Who pays for these bankruptcies, when all is said and done?  The rest of us that manage our money properly.

For sure all the non-Paulie wives are milking the beast as "single mothers" - these losers that don't deserve their own husband should be ashamed of themselves and hide in a hole.

Not only was she told to quit her job but she was trying to adopt a baby and another wife is actively trying to get pregnant. Obviously, bringing more children into an already disastrous financial situation is a great idea. Except it isn't.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm okay with the Brady Bunch bankruptcy. They aren't like the Browns were none of them have jobs and they are taking multiple vacations a year and throwing steaks on the grill (see the episode of Kody grilling steaks while the wives were on the strip). The Brady Bunch eat the same damn cheap soup every night and most of them have jobs of some kind and they own a business. It is a construction business, which fluctuates drastically dependent on market conditions, so I see how they could get into debt. Not all debt is due to irresponsibility. Sometimes shit happens - which is what bankruptcy is for - and I have yet to see evidence of irresponsibility from them.

The issue of bringing up children is a religious one for them. Yes, I know, they supposedly left their church, but they clearly haven't left their religious beliefs and values as evidenced by their conservatism, patriarchal hierarchy, and prayer before every meal. It may not be financially smart to bring in more children when strapped for cash, but my Baptist family literally gives money to the church even when we are broke because our religious beliefs are to tithe. I wouldn't tell a Baptist family to curb their religious beliefs due to worldly constraints and I'm not gonna do that to Brady and his brood either.

Edited by WimminWinning
  • Love 1

Except I wouldn't be surprised if the baby mammas are hiding the TLC money.

Only Rhonda is actually working.  Nonie 'works' for Brady, does he even pay her a salary?

Hasn't Paulie worn some scrubs in some scenes? I assumed she had a job in the medical field but I could be mistaken.

Yes, Jodio, Paulie does work as a dental hygienist and Rhonda works as a medical assistant. Rosemary used to work in the construction business with Nonie (I don't know if either of them got paid a salary, but I don't think that matters to my original point as they worked for the family business to provide for the family) before she went back to school recently and Nonie is also in school now while she handles the administrative side of the construction business.

My only point was that most of the wives work outside the home to financially provide for the family (Robyn is the only SAHM and Rosemary is in school but usually worked before that) and with all that damn soup, they are certainly trying to live within their means, so I don't doubt the merits of their bankruptcy.

(edited)

No matter how they got to the point of bankruptcy, I still don't believe that when someone is already in a position of bankruptcy should that person  be thinking about bringing another child into the world. Kids are expensive. I have four of them. Fix your financial issues before you bring another child into a financial mess.

Edited by RGSG99
  • Love 6
No matter how they got to the point of bankruptcy, I still don't believe that when someone is already in a position of bankruptcy should that person  be thinking about bringing another child into the world. Kids are expensive. I have four of them. Fix your financial issues before you bring another child into a financial mess.

Especially via adoption. Adoption is expensive as hell. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Brady has said they spend over $4,000 per month on food. That is just their food bill. Think of all their other bills.  Mortgages, property taxes,  utilities, cars, gas, insurance, health care, clothes, and so on. Bills like that are not sustainable when all the adults are not working at least full-time at jobs with reliable income. Unless maybe one or more of them has an extremely high-paying job which it doesn't sound like any of them have. They can't afford luxuries like no jobs, part time jobs, going to school, flowers and gifts, pregnancies, adoptions, sending a kid to Africa, tattoos, and the list goes on.  $402k in debt doesn't happen overnight. No, I do not believe they were trying very hard to live within their means.  With all these factors, the fact that some of them work and that they have been shown to eat soup sometimes doesn't prove fiscal responsibility to me. Plus, it appears that they are claiming everyone's debt, but due to the legal technicalities and "spiritual" marriages, not everyone's income is claimed on the bankruptcy.

Edited by starfire
  • Love 7
(edited)

This is interesting, because it demonstrates how a more realistic set-up, where most of the adults work in legitimate jobs (even if Nonie isn't paid, she's doing work the company would have to pay someone else to do), really isn't financially sustainable. Not that I ever really expected it to be, without one of those jobs being ultra-high income. But when most to all of the adults work in jobs that normal people have - legitimate careers, even - and they still can't make it work, well, that just feels like another strike against this "lifestyle."

The Browns living off of bankruptcy between wild schemes is a no-brainer. This is more revealing, at least to me.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 5
(edited)

You're right, this set up isn't financially realistic/sustainable for average people with average incomes.  It's just way too many children to support - and that's just the financial aspect.  Not even touching on the emotional aspect of how little attention these kids must get considering each wife spends a large portion of her time pining for her 1/5 husband.  It's absurd.  Why continue to have more kids when you cannot support the ones you have?  It is just so irresponsible, and yet these yahoos don't understand that this is what bugs many of us more than the other absurd parts of their  "belief"  system. 

Edited to add:  I would love to be a part of the end of season interview with Taryn and ask them to explain how they justify not only the bankruptcy, but also using public dollars (foodstamps, welfare) to sustain this lifestyle.  This is the public's main issue, not how many women are willing to share you - dumbass.  If you cannot afford more than one wife, or more than 2 or 3 kids, don't have them!!  Very simple, people.  It's called common sense, and there seems to be a lack of it in both this family and the Brown family.

Edited by tabloidlover
  • Love 6
(edited)

You're right, this set up isn't financially realistic/sustainable for average people with average incomes. It's just way too many children to support - and that's just the financial aspect. Not even touching on the emotional aspect of how little attention these kids must get considering each wife spends a large portion of her time pining for her 1/5 husband. It's absurd. Why continue to have more kids when you cannot support the ones you have? It is just so irresponsible, and yet these yahoos don't understand that this is what bugs many of us more than the other absurd parts of their "belief" system.

Edited to add: I would love to be a part of the end of season interview with Taryn and ask them to explain how they justify not only the bankruptcy, but also using public dollars (foodstamps, welfare) to sustain this lifestyle. This is the public's main issue, not how many women are willing to share you - dumbass. If you cannot afford more than one wife, or more than 2 or 3 kids, don't have them!! Very simple, people. It's called common sense, and there seems to be a lack of it in both this family and the Brown family.

Amen to all of this. Amen. This lifestyle shortchanges (almost) everyone. And it is not sustainable. Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 2

You know, if they can pile everyone's debt onto one person, then having multiple partners makes sense: with four or five (the Browns) or six (the Bradys) mostly-legally-single adults in a family to divide bankrupcies among, the family can declare bankrupcy every year or two and just live in debt forever.  Maybe there IS a method in their madness . . . .

• Love 1
Second, something about how they were discussing internationally adopting a non-White baby made me uneasy. They were talking about this potential kid like a charity case, or like the kid should be grateful to be adopted by them. They also seemed to suggest that this non-White baby will (1) need to learn to fit in with their family rather than everyone having to make adjustments, and (2) that their biological children will somehow be less racist if they had a non-White adopted sibling. Everything about that conversation was off to me. 

I was especially disturbed that when the conversation started, Brody asked a question that started out "The race thing wouldn't bother you?" or something similar to that.  I think he cuaght himself and stopped.

I just binge watched all of season one and I have to say, I'm hooked on this trash dump already.  All of these women annoy me in some way or other, but Rosemary and Robin are the least irritating.  Neither of them have annoying voices/accents (at least they are less obvious and annoying than the others).  Rosemary and Robyn seem to have a decent relationship.

It seems that every little thing is blown up and there is wayyyy too much drama because #1 - These women are insecure, #2 - They are forced to squeeze their relationship into basically one evening per week and all the bullshit piles up, #3 - There is jealousy (duh).

Paulie - Her voice grates.  I think she is manipulative and plays the first wife card well.  She also seems very frail and is maybe not so bright, but I think it's an act and part of her overall manipulation.

Rhonda - She has that plyg compound look and defintely the accent that is reminscent of Willie Steed.  I think the whole breast lump/cancer scare is her way of getting attention.  She made way too much of it and used it for attention.  Is finding a lump really a cancer scare?  To me, no... maybe to some.  Maybe I just don't freak out about things until there is actually something to freak out about.  Not really sure what she doesn't get about Utah not adopting babies out to singles who cohabitate.  It has nothing to do with being a polygamist.  Them's just the rules.

Robyn - Is she related to Rhonda?  They have the same huge forehead.  No drama that wasn't uncalled for.  I think 20th anniversary/ring-gate just goes to show Brady is a dick off-camera.  I would be pissed at that asshole too.

Rosemary - Not much drama here either.  I think she really is cock-blocked by the other more attention-seeking wives.  I think she should be bitter.  Again, shows the type of asshole Brady is.

Nonie - Shut the fuck up.  Seriously, with the Utah accent and whining.  Shades of Meri Brown.  I have a feeling that Brady dreads Nonie-Night with the "I was... kinda hopin... we could... ya know ... talk... about.... havin... a baby."  Again... shut the fuck up.  You have enough kids.  Get a hobby for Jesus sake.

Really?  With the non-acknowlegement of the obvious fuck fest that happens for Brady every night of his life?  Come the fuck on.  These women are banging him left and right..  If my husband had 4 other wives, I would be 100% positive that he was getting turned inside-out every single night.

Brady - The fake syrupy sweet "I love you baby" and the way he talks to his family for the camera makes me wanna vomit.  You know that they are all thinking "Nice act, Dad".

I love this show.

Edited by BitchOnWheelz
  • Love 6

Nonie - Shut the fuck up.  Seriously, with the Utah accent and whining.  Shades of Meri Brown.  I have a feeling that Brady dreads Nonie-Night with the "I was... kinda hopin... we could... ya know ... talk... about.... havin... a baby."  Again... shut the fuck up.  You have enough kids.  Get a hobby for Jesus sake.

Really?  With the non-acknowlegement of the obvious fuck fest that happens for Brady every night of his life?  Come the fuck on.  These women are banging him left and right..  If my husband had 4 other wives, I would be 100% positive that he was getting turned inside-out every single night.

Oh my goodness!  You took the words right outta my mouth.  Way to sum it up, BitchOnWheelz!   These women (Brown's included) want us to believe that their minds aren't going "there" each and every night he isn't in bed with them??  Seriously?  Get a grip, plygs...  We all know damn well it stresses you the hell out.  THIS (amongst a million other reasons) is why I could never do the polygamy thing.

During one of the shows I watched, Brady was trying to convince one of the ladies to quit her job. Plus they tried to convince us they were ready to adopt. Plus move and build or acquire a compound in another state.. And they sent one of the kids on a trip to Africa. And I think Brady gave one of the wives permission to have another baby. Etc.

Now they want over $400,000 in debt written off, including $180,000 in credit card debt? Bankruptcies like this are criminal!

He can file bankruptcy, but a judge can reject it.  I think it's criminal too.  Vacations, dinners out, rings, more babies... all on national TV.  This might make it difficult for them.

Taxpayers pay for bankruptcy, which is why the details of the claim (assets/debts) are public information.

• Love 1