Type keyword(s) to search

Secret Six

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

With DC Comics' relaunching of Secret Six, I want to see if there are any fans of the previous incarnations of the team. While the concept of six people working under mysterious circumstances was originally made in the late Sixties (as you can see on Wikipedia), most people focus on the sextet that debuted in Villains United. Under Gail Simone's watch, the team wound up with a successful miniseries, as well as a critically-acclaimed ongoing series, before Flashpoint wiped out that continuity.

For any fans of Gail, this is a real treat. Two characters (Big Shot and Porcelain) are new, two were created by Gail in her Batgirl series (Strix and the "new" Ventriloquist), and Black Alice made her first appearance in Gail's original run on Birds of Prey. Oh, and Catman is there as well; a character that was taken off the scrap heap and excelled on Secret Six. Bad news: no Deadshot means no kinda/sorta bromance between the two antiheroes.

What was your fave incarnation of the team? As much as I liked Parademon in Villains United, I got a soft spot for Bane. . . especially his fatherly vibe with Scandal Savage and his attempts at courtship. Aside from the alternate "Six" that populated the title for a while, I don't think there was a wasted character  . . . from Cheshire to Mad Hatter to even the likes of Killer Shark.

Damn . . . almost a year since I last posted. Anyway, the last issue came out this week. Gail Simone wrapped things up nicely, and I'm sad/miffed that the title won't be run post-"Rebirth." I'm thinking of getting sketches down the line, including Big Shot and Strix. I got a new Catman in November.