Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 12/8/14

I still wish Will and Kate would have ate a New York style pizza, just to see how Jon would respond. Especially if they used a knife and fork to eat it.

Sorry. Fresh out of fucks to give these Western kids who join ISIS.

And WOW! Mick Foley took this Santa Claus thing a wee bit seriously. Jon was easily amused with Mick.

I can't help but like Kate Middleton.  It's not just because she's gorgeous, but whenever they show her, she always seems to be enjoying everything.  The look she had after her "supervisor" said something to her was great.

Jon has went overboard with the wrestling references the past 2 weeks.  There's Foley, last week he mentioned Roman Reigns, The Usos, Bray Wyatt, Bob Backlund, and Bruno, and also tonight during the William and Kate segment he said "I'm afraid I've got some bad news", complete with a decent impersonation.  "I'm afraid I've got some bad news" is the catchprase of Bad News Barrett.

Edited by Jediknight

I have absolutely no interest in wrestling. I was introduced to Mick Foley on TDS and thought he did fine in those bits, but I tuned out the interview. The Santa documentary looks kind of fun, but I thought the interview took way too much time.

I love Kate's hair. It's so lush. The clip of her throwing shade was hilarious. I find it hard to believe, however, that anyone would tell her "Keep wrapping." 

The Empire State Bldg was lit up in the Union Jack colors. Sounds like Stars & Stripes.

I liked Jessica's line, "Sorry Mr Drummond. Keep fishing."

• Love 1

I love Kate's hair. It's so lush. The clip of her throwing shade was hilarious. I find it hard to believe, however, that anyone would tell her "Keep wrapping." 

Right? I'm going to assume that the "keep wrapping" was directed at somebody else and she was just throwing the (beautiful, glorious) side-eye as commentary. I prefer that to thinking that someone was so unaware that they decided it was good P.R. to play plantation overseer to the Duchess of Cambridge.

When Jessica called Jon Mr. Drummond, I really wish there had been a way to bring on Todd Bridges in a cameo.

Edited by marceline

I don't really care about the royal family. I appreciate if they're using their position to promote charitable causes, but otherwise, whatever. Though they do seem like nice people. I just don't think this warrants more than a footnote.

• Love 1

I was inspired to seek out and bookmark that .gif.

I'm glad he closed the week on a light note; I was hoping it would be with Will & Kate (and Jessica!) and the segment did not disappoint.

Turned off Mick Foley.

I want the meme!

I know they were in that there America, but I wish the Daily Show had not given them a whole segment. It's tough enough dealing with the bullshit coverage of the Royals here in the UK.

Still, I always anjoy a Jessica segment.

And I agree with the atheist guy!

• Love 1

Man alive, thank the great and powerful Zod that I missed Jordan's piece, because it sounds like I'd have wanted to blow my brains out in the aftermath.  Yes, humorless atheists are pretty freaking easy to make fun of overall, but that has nothing to do with atheism and everything to do with humorlessness.   Yikes, that piece sounded fairly dodgy.  Klepper has been a bit hit or miss for me as it is and I'm glad he didn't get another chance to miss for me, because it sure sounds like I would have disliked that one. I missed that one show entirely and now I'm really quite glad. 

I'd been sort of avoiding the show this week, because NPR was already making me despair for the entirety of human kind with back-to-back torture memo reports; only interrupted once by a long segment on what the Fred Rogers company is up to these days (yes as in "won't you be my neighbor?" Fred Rogers) and the contrast between "how low can we sink" and "let's talk about this wonderful human being who taught many children about decency, kindness and how it's okay to be afraid when things are scary" for some reason made the next "now we return you to our regularly scheduled robbing you of the will to live" even worse.    

Sounds like the "don't pretend to pray and you'll have to pay" piece might have turned me to drink and eventually to a seaside cliff where I'd test gravity.  

The thing I adored about Kate Middleton's eye-roll was that she immediately complied with the "Keep wrapping".  How much shit do you think "keep wrapping" chick will take for the rest of time?  "Hey Verna, remember that time you told the future queen to quit slacking and get back to work, Creampuff?"   too much fun. 

Re last night's show -- I loved Hasan Minhaj's piece. That was … what's the word? Great. I can't remember his previous appearance.

It was the pig piece, peeayebee, alongside Jordan Klepper.  Hasan got to argue things like "A civilization will be judged by how we treat those who serve us" whereas Klepper had the rather thankless "Pigs shouldn't be able to turn around" yeoman's duty.  

Have I mentioned that I dislike Chris Christie so much now, I actually feel unwell whenever I think of him?  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2

I give thumbs up to the royals piece; it was a fun bit of fluff (for Jon & the staff, I'm sure, as well as the viewers) after the horrifying torture revelations.

On Monday, barring some massive bit of weekend news, it'll be all about the cromnibus, and God knows there's plenty to despair about there.

• Love 1

That side eye by Kate was so great. I bet she appreciated being treated like everyone else and wished she could've leaned over to the First Lady of NY and said something like "She's a hard ass isn't she" (the person who yelled at them to keep wrapping) but of course cameras with mics are all around her most of the time. Remember she was an ordinary young woman whose parents got lucky in business which allowed her and her siblings to attend great schools which put her into Prince William's circle. She seemed really happy the entire time she was in NYC.

Glad Jon covered the royals story for the same reason's others have mentioned. This week like a lot of weeks has been really horrible and we needed a little fluff.

• Love 1
The civilized world has largely moved on from this garbage

And what other part of the world (besides the USA) is still so enamored of "religion" which controls so much of its life and is always in the midst of war and fighting?  Gee, I wonder.  Its no surprise that its us and those countries that are doing all the fighting.