Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

I'm a little bit surprised that it seems they're not bothering to do any press for tonight's episode. Human Target is a comics character and it's sweeps. I mean, they're going to get trounced by the World Series anyway, but they didn't know there would be a game 7 until last night. 

• Love 1

Wasn't sure which thread to post this in...

Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes Says The DCTV Shows Generate $1 Billion In Revenue
While the DCTV superhero shows may be slipping in ratings, the shows are still a huge revenue earner according to statements from Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes in the latest earnings call with investors.

Mark Julian  Nov. 2, 2016
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/dc/arrow/time-warner-ceo-jeff-bewkes-says-the-dctv-shows-generate-1-billion-in-a146480

iZombie, Lucifer, Preacher, Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl and Gotham are apparently huge earners for Time Warner according to CEO Jeff Bewkes.  Case in point, TNT just recently signed a deal to air Arrow reruns and will also be the basic cable home for the DCEU.  In addition to the ongoing shows, upcoming programs slated to debut or film a pilot include Powerless (NBC), Black Lightning (Fox) ,Krypton (Syfy) and Scalped (WGN).  With Arrow set to hit the magic 100 episode number later this season, The CW's gamble back in 2012 on a C-list archer certainly appears to have paid off.  

Recently, AT&T reached an agreement to purchase Time Warner for $85.4 billion.  However, the deal has yet to be finalized and could face federal opposition.  Knowing the DCTV shows alone bring in $1 billion in revenue certainly puts that figure into perspective. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

World Series Game 7 forces networks to change schedules
Allison Sadlier  Nov. 2, 2016
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/02/networks-shuffle-schedule-world-series

Networks are reshuffling their line-ups as the historic Game 7 of the World Series airs Wednesday night.

Fox’s regular programming has the night off as they’ll be airing the final game between the Chicago Cubs and the Cleveland Indians. 

NBC confirmed that they’ll be shifting plans for Blindspot, Law & Order: SVU, and Chicago P.D. and airing reruns instead of the originally planned new episodes. Last week, NBC’s homerun hit This Is Us took on the first game in the World Series and still fared well in ratings, but tonight’s schedule was scratched in anticipation of the epic finish of the baseball season.

CBS will swap its new Criminal Minds episode for a repeat, but new episodes of Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X and Code Black will air at their usual times.

The Country Music Association Awards will be live on ABC tonight as previously scheduled, and the CW has no plans to alter their lineup either.

Game 7 begins at 8 p.m. ET on Fox.

Edited by tv echo
12 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Oh CW. You silly gooses. You really should just skip tonight.  Good grief.  Heck the Flash isn't airing a new episode until  November 15

They can't, it totally blows the schedule for the crossover.  

Flash skips 11/8 but, airs 11/22 (Thanksgiving week).  Arrow airs next week but, skips 11/23 (Thanksgiving week). This way they both end up on the crossover week of 11/28.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, lemotomato said:

I'm a little bit surprised that it seems they're not bothering to do any press for tonight's episode. Human Target is a comics character and it's sweeps. I mean, they're going to get trounced by the World Series anyway, but they didn't know there would be a game 7 until last night. 

They started doing press for tonight's episode last summer - mentioning it as an Olicity episode and whatever, and they did some press releases about Human Target coming in a couple of months ago.  The press only really got subdued last week, once they realized the Cubs were in the World Series, and had a chance of reaching Game 7 - against Arrow.

I'm with the CW and Amell on this one - there's no point in throwing promo money/time for tonight's Arrow. Throw it at Legends of Tomorrow instead, which if staying steady could still stand improvement, and which isn't going up against a potentially historic Cubs game. Or very excited Cleveland fans who have all reminded me that they haven't won for decades either.  Arrow can easily explain away tonight's numbers. It's next week that sweeps will get important for Arrow again. 

• Love 4

Those ratings look pretty much even with what theyve been delivering all season. So Marc's digs about the World series and shippers seem moot since it looks like roughly the same number of viewrs that were watching last week watched this week plus an even demo. What will be there excuse next week going forward now that they dont have World series to blame?

Also did they air against any World series games last year? What were their ratings then? 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Also did they air against any World series games last year? What were their ratings then? 

Their numbers were better but it's not really a fair comparison. This was a historic game seven-I'm surprised their numbers weren't lower, honestly. 

• Love 5

It was only a slight tick down as far as I can tell. I'm curious if the soft trend of ratings going down after negative Olicity holds. 

I had figured they would fall more with the WS so there would be an increase next week, but the drop was so slight idk.

There was no Game 7 last year.  Arrow aired opposite Game 2 for both 2015 and 2016

For 2013 Game 1,  Arrow went down 2 tenths in demo and about 170K in viewers

For 2014 Game 2, Arrow went up a tenth in the demo and up in viewers 

For 2015 Game 2, Arrow held in Demo and went up slightly in viewers

For 2016 Game 2 Arrow went up in Demo and in Viewers

For 2013 Game 6 Arrow went down in demo and viewer.

For 2014 Game 7 Arrow went up in Demo and Viewers

For 2016 Game 7 Arrow went down in Demo and Viewers

All that being said those games didn't even come close to the ratings that Game 7 between Chicago and Cleveland pulled.  Per Mike and Mike this morning, Game 7 2016 pulled in about  40% more viewers than Game 7 of 2014 (San Fran vs KC)

I was expecting the numbers to be lower, as well. Maybe they benefitted slightly from being one of the only new tv show eps airing last night. But next week should really tell the tale, although if there is post-election drama all bets are off.

Edited by GirlvsTV
  • Love 1

Those numbers are far better than I expected. Respectable considering the Historical World Series.

It will be interesting to see what happens with next weeks ratings. It seems the writers room is in sensitive place and fans watching is no longer a priority for them.

8 hours ago, tv echo said:

I also thought this week's ratings would be lower than that, given the historic nature of this World Series.

It was a long game.  There was time for non rabid fans to switch over after Arrow was done.  

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

It was a long game.  There was time for non rabid fans to switch over after Arrow was done.  

Except on the West Coast. The Indians tied the game right before Arrow started, which made it must-see TV, IMO. It was the first time in long time I thoroughly enjoyed watching TV from 8-9 on a Wednesday. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 4

I'll be interested to see if returning shows across all the networks see a ratings dip due to election sadness/anger/anxiety. I watched Lethal Weapon instead and found it a nice escape for an hour, but I can understand if people were avoiding tv all together and/or glued to the news about the various protests happening last night.

Ratings will be delayed about an hour and a half past normal (which is generally around 10 am central time) due to some "extra quality checks."  

ETA: Hmm.  I guess they lied.  Ratings were posted at the normal time (Literally two minutes after I posted this info, ha).  

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Huh, guess people missed out on 505 and decided to come back for this week now that there was no baseball game? Or people fully enjoyed 505?

Why does it have to be either or? It could've been both *shrugs*

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Huh, guess people missed out on 505 and decided to come back for this week now that there was no baseball game? Or people fully enjoyed 505?

I think it probably has most to do with the show getting some good word of mouth and some of the people who dropped it last season are trickling back in. 

10 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Looking at the super low views on the new episode thread, I'm suddenly expecting a new series low.  

The lower views and response are a trend I've been noticing this season. I don't think the people that visit here are necessarily part of the Neilsen Ratings group - so its probably not related. I also think there are a group of forum members that have left or just aren't as invested in looking at the episode threads.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Arrow has dipped in terms of viewers since last season for Live+7. 

Does anyone know what it was in S4? I thought it was 1.3 - 3m average

3.81 average from +7 numbers available for episodes 401-406.

JjjS0H4.jpg

I think it wasMG? that said he wasnt concerened about ratings, because Arrow was the third highest rated show on the network . But I think its a mistake to compare the show with others that air on the CW. Because while shows like TVD, TO and Reign can fall to 0.5-0.4 and get renewed, they are also significantly cheaper to make. Arrow needs to rate higher to earn a higher advertising rate, so the money it brings in offsets the fact its more expensive than the other show not set in the Florrow verse. Yes I know there are other factors like DVD sales, and selling the show through other viewing platforms, but advertising is still at the top of the list of importance.

Hasn’t Arrows social media buzz also taken a hit this season? CW seems to look at things like ratings, internet viewing and social media popularity, BatB got renewed for at least two seasons on internet popularity alone as cited by Mark Pedowitz.

So I think a 0.7 in the first half of the season, and a likely several 0.6 in the back half, combined with a slowing social media support has to have the execs talking. Yes I think Arrow for sure will get renewed for more seasons, but with what kind of budget to make the show is the question.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, MaisyDaisy said:

Yes I think Arrow for sure will get renewed for more seasons, but with what kind of budget to make the show is the question.

You are probably right.  Putting all the ramifications of that aside, I would love if they were forced to do a bottle episode for budget reasons.  

• Love 3

I think the only way to fix the ratings is through addressing the writing. However once people have left its very difficult to get them back, and the writers seem to be writing this season towards a certain type of nieche fan, and if they continue, its going to alienate a lot of other viewers. They need to find the balance they had in 4A, but with the attitude and dismissal towards fans pointing out issues, I think they are going to go for the bandaid fix it- throw in a new male gaze comic female character to appease some fans, throw a dash of shipper bait at others so they stay, add promises of OTA that are more hype then delivery and that will be their quick fix.

Edited by MaisyDaisy
  • Love 12

Arrow and the other DC shows have a larger merchandising opportunity over all of the other CW shows, though, so even reaching towards TVD ratings, they can still pull in more money through other means besides DVDs and advertising. That is probably one of the pushing factors for introducing the new masks, if not the main one tied with the idea that they just want to because they can. 

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Isnt Arrow also the cheapest DCTV show on CW.

Only have to shell out for Rory's rags, some trick arrows and green screens.  And since they like it nice and dark, they also save money on light bulbs.    

• Love 4