Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

CW Live + 7 Ratings for the week of March 18-24 (Top 40 Report)

• The Flash - 1.00, 2.939 million.
  • Supernatural - 0.74, 2.398 million.
  • Riverdale - 0.58, 1.471 million.
  • Supergirl - 0.57, 1.926 million.
  • Legacies - 0.53, 1.676 million.
  • Arrow - 0.53, 1.597 million (#716 - Star City 2040)
  • Roswell NM - 0.49, 1.776 million.
  • Black Lightning - 0.46, 1.455 million (Season 2 finale)
  • Charmed - 0.38, 1.216 million.
  • All American - 0.29, 0.884 million (Season 1 finale)
  • Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - 0.21, 0.566 million.
  • Dynasty - 0.20, 0.720 million.

Live + SD Ratings for comparison:

• The Flash - 0.53, 1.643 million.
  • Supernatural - 0.38, 1.460 million.
  • Supergirl - 0.31, 1.123 million.
  • Arrow - 0.30, 0.996 million.
  • Legacies - 0.29, 1.003 million.
  • Riverdale - 0.29, 0.808 million.
  • Roswell NM - 0.26, 1.016 million.
  • Black Lightning - 0.24, 0.845 million.
  • Charmed - 0.17, 0.560 million.
  • All American - 0.16, 0.538 million.
  • Dynasty - 0.15, 0.556 million.
  • Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - 0.13, 0.406 million.

Links to ratings reports:

**All links from Programming Insider**

56 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I'm surprised Roswell hasn't been renewed yet.

I've been watching Roswell kind of out of curiosity.  The writing is not great.  (The particularly bad episodes don't appear to be Cadymack)  But maybe it will survive just because it's not like other offerings.  Just where it is shot makes it look so different.  

1 hour ago, Chaser said:

I'm not, it's not doing that great in the ratings and is totally lead-in dependent (same as Charmed).  Legacies is pretty much the only new show that is successful.  Plus Roswell does not get any post views from Amazon because of that whole situation that came up last year.

It will probably get renewed given how many shows are ending next year. However, that would depend a lot on Pilot season.  Right now it's a decided bubble show.

On 4/3/2019 at 8:02 PM, Chaser said:

The CW only did a mass renewal of the shows that started in the fall. They'll probably decide about Roswell (and other undecided shows) closer to upfronts.

CW Live+7 Ratings for the week of March 25-31 (Top 40 Report

• Jane the Virgin - 0.67, 1.561 million (Season 5 premiere).
  • Riverdale - 0.60, 1.570 million.
  • Supergirl - 0.58, 1.874 million.
  • Arrow - 0.58, 1.689 million (#717 - Inheritance).
  • Legacies - 0.53, 1.571 million (Season 1 finale).
  • Charmed - 0.46, 1.334 million.
  • Roswell NM - 0.42, 1.663 million.
  • Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - 0.22, 0.556 million.
  • Dynasty - 0.21, 0.728 million.

Live+SD ratings for comparison:

• Supergirl - 0.30, 1.056 million.
  • Jane the Virgin, 0.30, 0.795 million.
  • Arrow - 0.29, 1.010 million.
  • Legacies - 0.29, 0.925 million.
  • Riverdale - 0.27, 0.815 million.
  • Charmed - 0.23, 0.697 million.
  • Roswell NM - 0.22, 0.916 million.
  • Dynasty - 0.15, 0.525 million.
  • Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - 0.12, 0.386 million.

Links to ratings reports:

The Flash and Supernatural were repeats.  The CW aired other programming in the Monday 9:00 p.m. hour.

**All links from Programming Insider**

On 4/3/2019 at 1:51 PM, Starfish35 said:

If Charmed hadn’t already been renewed, I’d be getting skeptical of its chances.  But maybe that’s why the recent showrunner change for Season 2.

Late to this, but Charmed and Dynasty are CBS productions, aka productions not facing the increasingly skeptical and irritated eye of AT&T, which is slicing through its new holdings/executives at a predictable though alarming rate. 

Roswell is a WB production. Roswell, though, is also financially backed/produced by Amblin Entertainment, so it's not as purely dependent on WB financing/ AT&T's cheery "cancel all the things" as WarnerMedia backed Berlanti Productions.

2 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Eh, brief hiatus plus new timeslot. Not that surprised.

I'm sure the hiatus and the new timeslot didn't help. And we're at the back end of the season, when Arrow has traditionally dropped in live numbers.

With that said, we've now had seven straight seasons on three different shows where episodes featuring KC and/or heavily promoting KC usually show a drop in the live numbers - often significant - and/or underperform to expectations. There's one or two exceptions - a Flash episode back in Arrow's third season - but that's the general trend.

Does all of this have to do with KC? Probably not. Individual drops in live numbers are usually meaningless. But trends can have meaning, so I'm not inclined to dismiss the trend completely.

• Useful 10
  • Love 4

I can’t help but wonder if the way they chose to promote it - Canaries, Canaries, Canaries, look more Canaries! - had an impact. Plus, and I’m all for episodes and shows driven by female characters, if all you have to say about that female-driven episode is “Bad-ass! Kick-ass! Strong!” you’re not actually telling me anything about the characters and story that intrigue me. 

• Love 3

The promo strategy for that episode was interesting. Before the day, a lot of the stuff I saw on social media was BS/KC, but on the day itself, the two clips they showed both heavily featured Felicity and BS was nowhere in sight. I think they realized, too late, that their "watch KC in all her BS glory" strategy wasn't garnering the expected results but that's just me being absolutely biased.

• Love 4

I don't know if it's a factor or not, but a few of my friends were so dispirited by the news of EBR's exit before the final season that it was just the last straw, on top of the gloomy future shown on Arrow, so they quit watching and didn't return after the two-week break.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, tv echo said:

I don't know if it's a factor or not, but a few of my friends were so dispirited by the news of EBR's exit before the final season that it was just the last straw, on top of the gloomy future shown on Arrow, so they quit watching and didn't return after the two-week break.

That's me!!!!! I actually find myself griping about the show less and less now as I slowly stop caring. I've got more of a busybody curiosity now. Didn't even bother to load it this week. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, tv echo said:

It's kind of the reverse in my group. With the news that everything is wrapping up and EBR is leaving, they all want to catch up and watch all of the last episodes and the last episodes with EBR. I get that it doesn't really matter and no one really cares about anything, but it's funny with the different povs

Edited by way2interested

I'm kind of both. With EBR's limited count, I only have the patience for what I care about. Diggle has fallen off my favorites list so I didn't care to watch this episode. I'll watch the Felicity/Olicity scenes on youtube. 

• Love 5

I watched and I'm pretty sure I'll watch to the end but when something came up Monday night that I could have rearranged so I could watch and post live, I didn't bother.  And then when I got home I actually found myself NOT immediately watching Arrow but other stuff first.  So there is a distancing already going on.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Chaser said:

Not sure I'd call those ratings 'winning'. 

you are right, I guess, LOL. 

Just that LoT ratings are a little bit more respectable than what Arrow is getting now. And I still wish Arrow was beating LoT. 

Edited by suncity
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, lemotomato said:

If I had tuned in to last week’s episode and saw that Oliver Queen had been reduced to being a supporting character on his own show, I wouldn’t come back to watch this week’s episode either.

As if he JUST now has been made a supporting character lol

5 hours ago, tv echo said:

For me the news of her departure made me want to watch more to enjoy the show while I can but the mess that these last few episodes have been are turning me off. Ten second redemption for Laurel2, another good Big Bad character suddenly dropped, messed up Diggle backstory,  Felicity still supporting other characters, lots of Dinah and Rene. Nothing gets resolved, everything is just a prelude to what?

I had to go out yesterday, briefly read comments when I got back, not particularly keep to watch it now. The episodes really need to be better to keep the audience as the show wanes.

15 minutes ago, suncity said:

Ouch. I spoke too soon, LoT ratings are not so respectable now..

I don't think Legends ratings or any shows on CW should be looked down upon. They are all almost the same aside from Flash & Supernatural.

• Love 1

There have been parts of every season that I haven’t  particularly enjoyed, but this season and its doom and gloom in multiple timelines has been a hard slog for me.

There are too many characters spread over a jumble of storylines that get stalled while they go off on tangents. They brought Roy back but he’s had so little plot or purpose, so far, I’m left wondering why he was added back into an already overloaded cast. 

It feels like Oliver has been on the sidelines of his own show and there is way too much Dinah in present and future. I have to wonder if they placed the needs of crossover and the hopes for a spin-off above what was best for Arrow. 

I thought I’d be holding on and enjoying the few remaining episodes with Felicity but I’m already checking out with three episodes to go. I’m interested to see where the bottom might be for number of viewers by the end of the season.

Edited by kes0704
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Can any show go lower than 0.1?

Or do they round everything to 0.1 if you go below it?

Ratings are rounded up to 0.1 if it's 0.05 or higher. 0.049999.... and below would be rounded down to 0.0. But I don't remember anything on the CW ever going that low.

• Useful 2
18 hours ago, tv echo said:

Well viewership has seemed to taken a dive since the announcement. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Mary0360 said:

Well viewership has seemed to taken a dive since the announcement. 

So have the episode thread comments if you look at them compared to last year or 2 seasons ago.

The Dragon ep last year got 3 pages! 3 pages of us dissing it but it was 3 pages. I think people don't even care to complain anymore.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Alright, fine, I concede the point. The CW does not care about ratings. 😂

All American, In The Dark, and Roswell all renewed (as well as The 100).  Nothing cancelled, which I believe is a first.  I figured Roswell would be renewed, but I thought All American and In The Dark were dead.

Damn, so they have just given up creating hits, was hoping they would clean house with new shows planned. But Its now quantity over quality, at the CW, it seems. 

I hope this doesnt affect picking up pilots; Batwoman, Lost Boys, Nancy Drew etc. They sound promising. 

Edited by suncity
39 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Same.  I think Batwoman is pretty much a lock.  The CW has 6 pilots ordered.  Interestingly, three of those six are spin-offs of currently airing shows.

Then I hope Lost Boys and Nancy Drew are a lock too, those are big IPs, and Im curious to see what they do with them. The other three I can take or leave them. 

yeah they are at least 3 spin off, but from what I can tell so far, they are  loosely associated to their mother shows. That could work in their favor, as some shows like Riverdale have lost their popularity. 

Edited by suncity
8 hours ago, suncity said:

Damn, so they have just given up creating hits, was hoping they would clean house with new shows planned. But Its now quantity over quality, at the CW, it seems. 

I hope this doesnt affect picking up pilots; Batwoman, Lost Boys, Nancy Drew etc. They sound promising. 

They'll probably still pick up a few pilots to replace the shows that had already been announced as final seasons: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Jane the Virgin and iZombie. That leaves room for three new shows. And if they want to pick up more shows they could always make room on the schedule by giving more shows shorter seasons. Many of the CW shows already have seasons in the 13-18 episode range instead of the old standard of 22 episodes per season. And the next (final) season of Arrow was already announced as ten episodes. So it wouldn't surprise me if they pick up at least four of their pilots.

• Love 1

Many of the CW shows already have seasons in the 13-18 episode range instead of the old standard of 22 episodes per season

True, its for the best they do that. They can no longer make big shows like Smallville,TVD, Supernatural. Those shows had the creative quality and popularity to sustain full episode orders, season after season. And I guess its just a different time too, short seasons are the future. They really should go ahead and cut The Flash and Riverdale episode orders. It would give more room on the schedule, benefit shows' season quality and likely reduce breaks. 

The only downside is having to wait long for shows ones really want to see, if they are scheduled late spring/summer. Thankfully there is a crossover, otherwise I would think, they would delay Arrow's final season to air spring or later. 

Edited by suncity
On 4/24/2019 at 6:55 PM, suncity said:

Same! I'm really wanting to check out Batwoman, Lost Boys and Nancy Drew. Even the Katy Keane Spinoff of Riverdale starring the worst of the Main 4 Pretty Little Liars JMO

Edited by jay741982
  • Love 1
On 4/24/2019 at 7:44 PM, Starfish35 said:

Alright, fine, I concede the point. The CW does not care about ratings. 😂

i wonder about cw, if  ad revenue is so inconsequential  and their multi revenue strategy is such a success. Then how come the shows look like their budgets is being cut every season...The new shows too, look like they were made on shoe string budgets. They are setting such  low production values for their products.  I cant imagine this would be good for their brand and reputation in the near future. 

Even the Katy Keane Spinoff of Riverdale starring the worst of the Main 4 Pretty Little Liars JMO

No arguments there, she was the worst of the 4 to me too. But I will keep an open mind on KK. 

Edited by suncity
  • Love 1