Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

Considering how the episode was advertised as being action packed with game changing implications (the police hunting down the Arrow instead of working with him), I'm a little surprised it didn't do well. My hope is that people are finally getting tired of the show being too depressing and dark, but I think the dip has more to do with this week being Spring Break for some schools and people are on vacation.

I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone that doesn't read interviews/follow spoilers and just goes by TV promos and channel guide summaries. Even official sneak preview clips were more focused on the Ra's/action storyline.

• Love 2

Considering how the episode was advertised as being action packed with game changing implications (the police hunting down the Arrow instead of working with him), I'm a little surprised it didn't do well. My hope is that people are finally getting tired of the show being too depressing and dark, but I think the dip has more to do with this week being Spring Break for some schools and people are on vacation.

I think it might have something to do with last week's ep being terrible, too.

• Love 9
(edited)

for me, when i'm a casual viewer of a show, my viewership depends on the previous week's episode and/or the promo for the next week.  I would assume that's how most casual viewers watch but who knows?

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
(edited)

One might reasonably argue that a lot of fans just don't like (or are tired of) some or all of the following:

• Oliver making dumb decisions and/or unrelenting Oliver manpain.
  • Ray Palmer.
  • Ray with Felicity.
  • Sidelining Diggle again.
  • New Team Arrow composed of costumed Arrow, Arsenal and Black Canary.
  • Quentin being an angry, vengeful cop again.
  • Continued absurdity of Ra's wanting Oliver to be the new Ra's - or new absurdities of Shado having a twin sister or Laurel defeating a LOA assassin in combat.
  • How dark and depressing the show has become.

Even the Mama Smoak effect can't counteract all of the above.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

I think 3.17 left a bad taste in people's mouth. No trust for this one.

I wanted to watch for Mama Smoak, but the previews turned me off with all the focus on the Masks. That and as much as I adore Charlotte Ross, I had no desire to watch for fawn over Ray. I knew I could watch her truth tea on Tumblr.

• Love 4
  • Oliver making dumb decisions and/or unrelenting Oliver manpain.
  • Sidelining Diggle again.
  • Quentin being an angry, vengeful cop again.
  • Continued absurdity of Ra's wanting Oliver to be the new Ra's - or new absurdities of Shado having a twin sister or Laurel defeating a LOA assassin in combat.
  • How dark and depressing the show has become.

All of these are my major issues, plus the annoyance of how they trashed the nice friendship that Oliver and Felicity had for...whatever this is they have now.

Anyways, when I think back over the season, there aren't a lot of bright spots, and it's definitely not one that I am in any hurry to rewatch anytime soon after the season is over.  I just want to move on to season 4, hopefully with Roy there.  :(

• Love 5

According to a poster on IMDB, there were problems with the CW signal in the Seattle market last night. DirectTV and Comcast lost the CW signal during the hour Arrow was on. Seattle is the 14th biggest TV market in the US. That might have impacted the ratings a bit.

• Love 1
(edited)

i didn't see anything noted on tvbythenumbers. They usually note something like that. If it's major enough to be responsible for a drop.

however, i don't actually trust IMDb for much of anything.

ETA: The more I think about it, the more I think it's reaching. One provider losing the CW in the 14th largest market having that big of an effect on the ratings? Seems very unlikely.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Well I hope they take it as testament that 317 was a really crappy episode (both critics & fans disapproved), as well as certain creative decisions this season were not as good in execution and not just blame it on some electricity glitch. The sizzle reel makes me optimistic that they are getting the train back on track. But then again MG seems to be a little hard of hearing when it comes to valid criticism, so who knows? Perhaps the network will help them see what works overall, it does sorta feel like they might be a little panic mode with the release of the sizzle reel. I mean fans & critics were already openly talking about waiting for s4 and writing off remainder of s3, so that can't be a good sign and then you have a ratings drop w/ no uptick. Someone not so important probably noticed, hence the sizzle reel, which is now all people are talking about.

• Love 3

That reader popularity table is kind of interesting.  The lowest rated episode of the season was Guilty (Ted & Laurel episode) followed by Nanda Parbat (Ray has sex with Felicity and flies) and Canaries (Sara and Laurel).  The highest rated episode was The Brave and the Bold (crossover event) followed by Public Enemy, and then a tie between The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak and The Climb.  

(edited)

MG: "I will say that the ratings for this year have been extremely good.  Some of our episodes have beat their previous season equivalents in terms of ratings.  That’s very unusual for a third-year show."  (source)

I guess that means a green light for the EPs to continue doing season 4 in the same disjointed way as season 3...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

Press release from the CW regarding Arrow & SPN

via press note:

Arrow returned strong last night, rising +14% in A18-34 (0.8/4) from its last original episode two weeks ago, and +13% in A18-49 (0.9/3).

Arrow was #1 in the hour in M18-34 (0.9), and tied for #2 in A18-34.

Arrow continues to show strong year to year growth. Compared to this same week last year, Arrow is up +29% in A18-49 and up +33% in A18-34.

Supernatural was back with its most watched episode (1.83M) since 2/17/15, and delivered the most watched telecast in its time period since 12/3/14. It was up +20% over its last original in A18-34 (0.6/2) and +17% in A18-49 (0.7/2).

For the night, The CW's Wednesday is up +17% in A18-34 and up +14% in A18-49 over its last originals two weeks ago, and flat in total viewers (2.1M).

Versus this same week a year ago, The CW gained a huge +40% in A18-34 and +33% in A18-49, and grew +5% in total viewers.

This season, Arrow is averaging a +38% jump in total viewers, a +39% gain in A18-34, and a +45% increase in A18-49 in Live + 3 Day viewing totals over Live + Same Day alone. Supernatural sees a +39% gain in total viewers, +41% in A18-34, and +48% in A18-49.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/04/16/the-cws-arrow-supernatural-return-up-in-adults-18-34-18-49-ratings/390279/

• Love 1

I think it's funny that for all the complaints about this season from all corners-- the side that hates the romance and only wants action/comic canon and the side that wants character development and sensible storytelling instead of masks, masks, and more masks!-- the rating have been up overall and stayed that way. For better or worse, I think the producers are going to take this as a sign to continue on as they have this season, with Arrow being Superhero Central with CW-esque romantic drama on the side.

• Love 4

According to the early TVMI numbers from Berman, Arrow was a 2.2/4 in the household overnights (up from 1.9/3 the previous week) which is a big jump.  Made it to the Winners column, which I've only seen The Flash in for a CW show.  

I haven't watched Arrow in some weeks and didn't watch last night's but I thought it would have a higher demo.  Maybe it will adjust up.  Olicity isn't what I'm interested in, but I thought them getting together would increase that all important demo.  Perhaps next week?

Why is that excellent?  That just means they'll keep doing what they've done this season next season.

It's excellent because they promoted the hell out of Olicity, so it's good to see the numbers rise. It just shows the EPs that O/F still resonate with the audience. 

• Love 9

Last week honestly did suffer from some viewers not returning after the most recent hiatus but it's interesting that Arrow still rose by a full 10% more in returning viewers than Supernatural.  I know it's so hard to really know where the viewership came from but I'm claiming that 10% bump as a result of all the spoilers that were flying around for 3.20. 

Last year it did a 0.7. Series low.

What episode was that?

It's always interesting to me how ratings supposedly reflect what people think works and doesn't work.  The demo for the show is good but it has been higher for other episodes this season.  A quick look on wikipedia shows that The Return and Uprising got a 1.2 and several others have gotten 1.0s and 1.1s.  There was an increase for this episode and it was well promoted.  Will that increase continue?  Can the increases and decreases this season be linked to certain storylines or is there any consistency in that trend?  I tend to think that there isn't because I don't feel comfortable saying why millions of people watch a show and sometimes there have been higher ratings for episodes that aren't popular here.

The hardest thing for me to wrap my head around has been the Malcolm Merlyn and now Nanda Parbat and Ra's episodes.  It's been a turn off for me, and it looks that this League of Assassins storyline is continuing anyway.  There are characters I want to see and I like the action of it all but I'm not a fan of most of these show's storylines this season. I'm drawn and repelled by Arrow this season, so I can't begin to understand why people watch.

From brief observations, it looks like Arrow is a pretty consistent show ratings-wise.  Hovering around .8-1.1.  What's the average demo for each season?

Edited by Betweenthisandthat
  • Love 1