Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Spice Shop

Lisin

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Edited by stacey
Updating Small Talk information

Yay, I found it. Unless everyone was trying to get away from me, then you're out of luck. There was no Elementary or Grimm last week and finding out about TWoP just made me super sad. However, my 8 yo daughter had a friend over and hubby and I watched an episode of Sleepy Hollow during dinner (they were eating in a different room--a tent in the basement, in point of fact. How I managed to set up a two person tent in a basement with low ceilings and a new tv is another tale) and we realized that perhaps it was a good thing that we wouldn't have to keep pausing Grimm to make sure we didn't freak her out. Then again, Adalind as Hexenbeist is just at the line of what I find too scary. I am not the bravest person out there.

I'm just glad that new episodes are starting up. And as sad as I am about Sebastian, poor little mouse (he had to have been a mouse), I hope we get some more Meisner as recompense.

Edited by frenchtoast
  • Love 1

Hey, can I come out and play? I've been a TWoP poster for many years, but I only lurked around the Grimm thread. But I admit it -- I'm a Grimm addict. So I'll try to emerge from lurkdom over here.

I don't think there are any Wesen around. And even it there were, they don't bite. Unless you ask. I'm going to bop around a few of the threads. It's so much bigger, I almost miss it being one thread.

I'm going to be in Portland for a week in September. What should a Kehrseite-Schlich-Kennen tourist do besides buy some spices from Rosalee? I don't drink coffee so I'm likely as welcome as Theresa at the wedding....

Hello, I stumbled onto last season's finale, was intrigued, came back this fall, and have lots of catching up to do.  I like the characters, the Portland setting (waiting for a Fred Armison cameo) and I've started calling my dog a hexenbiest just because I like the sound of it.  I'll have to lurk until I actually understand what's going on. 

• Love 1

Get some VooDoo Doughnuts.  They come in a pink box.  Juliette brought some home to Nick once.

I not only saw VooDoo doughnuts in Portland, but folks on the flight to SJC brought them along.

Hello, I stumbled onto last season's finale, was intrigued, came back this fall, and have lots of catching up to do.  I like the characters, the Portland setting (waiting for a Fred Armison cameo) and I've started calling my dog a hexenbiest just because I like the sound of it.  I'll have to lurk until I actually understand what's going on. 

Hexenbiest is a cool name for a dog.  :-)

• Love 2

From the 5.03 thread:

Are there other good shows on television? Right now I watch Gotham, Orange is the new black, Orphan Black, and Vikings (when it is periodically on). There isn't that much else out there. The CSI that my parents watch is cardboard.

Sure, there are loads of great shows on broadcast, cable, premium, and streaming TV.

If you are looking to fill that Grimm-sized hole in your heart, my suggestions (as I wrote in another post) would be:

1 - Once Upon a Time (which I don't watch because, ugh...it's just too contrived for me, but lots of fairy tales.  And Disney characters...)

2 - Supernatural (which I've so far only watched the first episode, but OtterDaddy and I have it queued up in Netflix for those times when we want to watch something and don't know what.  This is probably the most Grimm-like show out there).

3 - Agents of Shield (which I DO watch..and have taken to watching off my DVR on Friday nights when I previously have been watching Grimm.  I will say, though, that you need to buy into the whole Marvel universe for this one--which isn't a bad thing, because Marvel, while they have had their hits and misses, are pretty damn good at universe building.  Also, it took me about 8 episodes to get hooked, which is more than I usually give a show.  But, once you're hooked, YOU ARE HOOKED.  It also is a great example of a show doing all the things right that Grimm does so very, very wrong.  You do need to have seen, at the very least, the first Avengers movie before you start this show and you really can't just jump into it midstream.  You can, however, stream seasons 1 and 2 on Netflix and see the episodes so far in Season 3 via on demand, hulu, etc.)

Any others out there?  Because, well, I have a feeling that we're all going to have that Grimm sized hole in our hearts soon, if we don't already.

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 1

I had to quit 'Once Upon a Time' about a year ago after hanging in through increasingly offensive storylines, so if you have trouble with Grimm's writing, you may find some of the same problems there.  There is nothing else in the genre that I watch.  I'm looking forward to January for 'Downton Abbey' and February for 'Better Call Saul'.  Both have short runs so things will dry up again after that.  Oh, also 'Portlandia' brightens up my winter.  I'll be sad to lose Grimm, since for me, TV pickings are slim.  'Downton' is one of those shows which have declined quite a bit in quality, but I'm in til the bitter end because of getting hooked on a few characters. 

I had to quit 'Once Upon a Time' about a year ago after hanging in through increasingly offensive storylines, so if you have trouble with Grimm's writing, you may find some of the same problems there.  There is nothing else in the genre that I watch.  I'm looking forward to January for 'Downton Abbey' and February for 'Better Call Saul'.  Both have short runs so things will dry up again after that.  Oh, also 'Portlandia' brightens up my winter.  I'll be sad to lose Grimm, since for me, TV pickings are slim.  'Downton' is one of those shows which have declined quite a bit in quality, but I'm in til the bitter end because of getting hooked on a few characters. 

I'm with you on Downton...it has slipped a bit each season, but at least they know when to call it quits.  I'm too invested in it right now NOT to watch it when it comes back.

I do enjoy Call the Midwife, though.  It can get a little preachy, which normally is a huge turn off for me, but they do it well. Also, the fact that they survived the main character leaving the show says something.

OtterDaddy and I are counting the days until Vikings comes back.  That show is pretty much at the edge of our blood and violence tolerance (no, we do not watch Game of Thrones!), but we're hooked!  We were also head over heels with the first season of Fargo.  I still say that is the best thing I've seen on television.  We've only gotten through 1 episode of the new season so far--it just isn't grabbing us like the first season, but I'm sure we'll catch up soon.

During a bout of both kids puking for a week straight last spring, we discovered Turn: Washington's Spies and I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.  It helps that its filmed at my alma mater!

And, as dirty as I feel when I feel when I admit this, I just can't give up on Grey's Anatomy. I've tried--I had about 8 episodes sitting on my DVR last year and I tried my hardest to delete them...and then ended up just binge watching it all.  I am filled with shame.

There aren't a lot of comedies out there worth watching, but I adore The Big Bang Theory (because my husband has some definite Sheldon-tendencies) and Modern Family (OtterDaddy and I are the real life Phil and Claire Dunphy.  Again, I am not proud of this....)

ETA: I actually DO have shame regarding my Grey's Anatomy addiction...

Edited by OtterMommy

Thanks for the input on other shows. I gave up on OuaT years ago because some of the offensive stuff as well, not to mention the jumping back and forth between lands just made my head hurt. So, now I'm down to Grimm, and NCIS:NO. That's it. But you guys have me thinking I need to give AoS a try. But then I have to watch Avengers first?

Anyhow..I'm so hoping that the show runners can tirn things around. I mean the train had already derailed, but maybe they can rescue that last car and get it back on the tracks . I will be SO bummed if they get cancelled while leaving so many story lines hanging! If given enough notice, hopefully they can wrap everything up satisfactorily , for those of us who have hung in there since Season 1. The last show I fell in love with was Enterprise (after a Netflix binge watch) and the ending of that series had me positively homicidal!

But you guys have me thinking I need to give AoS a try. But then I have to watch Avengers first?

My thoughts:  Yes, you need to watch the Avengers--something happens in that movie that sets up the first major plot of the TV show.  But, I mean, the movie is actually pretty good and if you want to watch AoS and need a jump start, that is what I would suggest.

But, if you want to really get into the Marvel Universe, there is this plan.  I mean, I didn't watch things in this order (there are still movies/shows I have yet to see), but that's the narrative order of it all.  My husband and I are going to get our geek on as soon as we can stream Agent Carter (also an EXCELLENT show!) and watch/re-watch all this in order.

Because, no, we have nothing better to do.....

Edited by OtterMommy
But Nick knows it so he can use it in Court.   Of course then she can say "But he was one of the ones who took her."   And he'll say "Yeah because you killed an old woman because you thought you were a witch who lost her powers and wanted them back, I was protecting the child from you."    Etc., Etc., Etc.

Really I can see this whole case playing out in my head.   If anyone wants anymore on it, let's take it to the small talk thread.

So, would he go after her because she had a secret baby and killed an old woman...or because she thinks she's a witch and she's insane?

Multiple prong attack.    Although he should stick to anything that doesn't implicate himself.   So probably mentioning Diana might not be a good idea.   But, what about the whole time she was missing while trapped in the Castle?  Nick might not know the details, but he sure knows she wasn't around.   Then voila back in town and pregnant.

Oh and he should demand a paternity test.    Try explaining that one to a judge.   "Well, the little blond lady pretended to be my taller red-headed girlfriend and I couldn't tell the difference and slept with her." 

But then she has all the stuff on him.   "Where's Juliette Nick?"   The time he attacked her.   She can leave out the part about losing her powers.   So it becomes "I was walking along minding my own business and this out of control cop who thinks I am some kind of monster attacks me.  I thought he was going to rape me when he forced his tongue in my mouth.   I bit his tongue and that gave me a chance to get away."  

Oh and he should demand a paternity test.    Try explaining that one to a judge.   "Well, the little blond lady pretended to be my taller red-headed girlfriend and I couldn't tell the difference and slept with her." 

But then she has all the stuff on him.   "Where's Juliette Nick?"   The time he attacked her.   She can leave out the part about losing her powers.   So it becomes "I was walking along minding my own business and this out of control cop who thinks I am some kind of monster attacks me.  I thought he was going to rape me when he forced his tongue in my mouth.   I bit his tongue and that gave me a chance to get away."  

A Paternity test would only do him any good if it would prove that he's not the father.  The way this show has set this up, this kid has 4 possible parentages:

1 - Nick and Adalind

2 - Nick and Juliette (because Adalind was in the form of Juliette)

3 - Renard and Adalind

4 - Renard and Juliette (because sperm can live up to 72 hours....and they might have, ahem, been hanging around when Adalind became Juliette).

He probably should ask for a maternity test--I mean, do they do those?  I'm sure just a genetic panel would do the same thing.

Could he also put on her the fact that she didn't tell him of the existence of this child until days before it was born?  That could illustrate irresponsible behavior on her part, as well as a likelihood to keep the father from the child.

He also has Monroe and Rosalee (and Hank and Wu..and even Bud) who can, at the very least, be character witnesses.  M&R can talk about how Adalind had them desecrate a corpse.  Of course, that would implicate them as well....

On a sort of related note...Diana's legal existence.  There is no legal proof that she exists, so how can Adalind even claim her if she ever shows up?

ETA: This is probably not the best thread for this, but I'm not sure where else it fits....

Edited by OtterMommy

I would like to suggest Sleepy Hollow, which also has the magical element.

Is Sleepy Hollow streaming anywhere?  I thought I heard it was on Hulu, but I used my free week of that and I really, really don't like their service....

Another show option...I haven't seen The 100, but my husband has binge watched everything they have up on Netflix and really enjoyed it...and one of the writers is Akela Cooper, who was a Story Editor for Grimm in seasons 1 and 2 and wrote 2 of the best episodes.

As far as genre shows, I like:

Sleepy Hollow (much better this year then last -- almost a totally different show)

Gotham -- a sort of prequel to the Batman stories

OUaT -- Not sure why I'm watching at this point

AoS -- a fun and sometimes silly show.  Ming-Wa Yen, at 51, kicks serious ass

Haven -- almost done so no point in starting

I liked Minority Report, but no one else did

Other dramas:

Elementary -- absolutely the best take on the Sherlock Holmes canon I've seen.  And a man and a woman are good friends without being interested in each other AT ALL.

Empire -- second season is not as good as the first but it's still a fun soap

HTGAWM -- Viola Davis owns this show.  A powerhouse role -- makes you forget just how dumb these people are.

OitNB -- we semi-binge (3 or 4 episodes at a time).  Absolutely incredible -- they really make you feel for these people.

Comedies"

black-ish -- absolutely amazing.  Excellent commentary on the black experiences and funny as hell

Brooklyn 9-9: Worth watching just for Andre Braugher.  They've also made the "man-child" be a function adult when needed, and the pairing of Jake and Amy should be taught as "Getting It Right" to every would-be writer

Edited by jhlipton

Okay, I'm not sure why I can't quote your message (I get an entire screenshot...weird!)

I was actually interested in the idea of Minority Report but, well, the movie just grossed me out too much.  Have they already canceled it?

Also, I haven't\ watched Sherlock...but you think it is better than the BBC version with Benedict Cumberbatch?  If that's the case, I'll have to check it out.

I'll probably check out HTGAWM soon too...I like how Netflix carries a season pretty much the day after the finale airs.  I am, as I admitted, a Grey's Anatomy junkie, but I've never gotten into any of Shonda Rimes' other shows.  But, I do love me some Viola Davis, so.....

I was actually interested in the idea of Minority Report but, well, the movie just grossed me out too much.  Have they already canceled it?

Also, I haven't\ watched Sherlock...but you think it is better than the BBC version with Benedict Cumberbatch?  If that's the case, I'll have to check it out.

I'll probably check out HTGAWM soon too...I like how Netflix carries a season pretty much the day after the finale airs.  I am, as I admitted, a Grey's Anatomy junkie, but I've never gotten into any of Shonda Rimes' other shows.  But, I do love me some Viola Davis, so.....

Networks don't officially cancel shows any more.  But they cut the season from 13 to 10, meaning the last episode will air this week and it won't be back in January.  That is effectively canceling it without using the word.

I tried the Beeb's version of Sherlock but it left me cold -- I don't remember why.  The partnership (and it is an equal partnership) between Holmes and Watson, as well as how they are true friends is refreshing and fun. 

HTGAWM is such twisted fun.  You have to be able to like characters who do some pretty loathsome things -- Annalise skirts the law (at least) every episode.  But she is such a rich character and Davis plays her with such passion...

Let me add one more show -- Sens8 is a great Netflix series.  It has pretty explicit sex scenes, including gay sex.  I point that out so no one is blind-sided.  It also takes an ep or two to really get going, but the characters are so well drawn and acted -- if you don't fall in love with Van Damme, there's something wrong with you.  After watching the series, watch the "Making of" -- it will blow your mind.

• Love 1

I tried the Beeb's version of Sherlock but it left me cold -- I don't remember why.  The partnership (and it is an equal partnership) between Holmes and Watson, as well as how they are true friends is refreshing and fun. 

I love Elementary. It's right up there with Jeremy Brett/Granada Sherlock Holmes. Love it far more than the BBC version. Not only is the friendship of Joan and Sherlock a thing of beauty rarely seen on tv, I also really appreciate how they portray addiction and recovery also rarely seen on tv. The first few episodes are clunky, but it picks up and maintains. 

AoS is a fun show, and it has greatly improved. You might need to watch the two Captain America movies, but the second one, Winter Soldier, is an excellent movie. The first is one is good and fun, too.

We watch both Sleepy Hollow and Grimm and enjoy both. 

If you like VikingsThe Last Kingdom which is based on a series of books that are pretty fun, is a good show too. It's told from the English (kind of) point of view. The books aren't great literature, but they're a good, fun read.

I love Elementary. It's right up there with Jeremy Brett/Granada Sherlock Holmes. Love it far more than the BBC version. Not only is the friendship of Joan and Sherlock a thing of beauty rarely seen on tv, I also really appreciate how they portray addiction and recovery also rarely seen on tv. The first few episodes are clunky, but it picks up and maintains. 

AoS is a fun show, and it has greatly improved. You might need to watch the two Captain America movies, but the second one, Winter Soldier, is an excellent movie. The first is one is good and fun, too.

We watch both Sleepy Hollow and Grimm and enjoy both. 

If you like VikingsThe Last Kingdom which is based on a series of books that are pretty fun, is a good show too. It's told from the English (kind of) point of view. The books aren't great literature, but they're a good, fun read.

I have The Last Kingdom on my DVR, but I haven't had a chance to start it yet.  I agree about the Captain America movies--those two are my favorites of the entire Marvel franchise.

You've all said enough good things about Elementary that I'm going to have to see if it is streaming on Amazon or Netflix....

Let me be another one to pipe up for Elementary. I got so sick of snobby people calling it inferior. I like it better, because they can take more time to develop the characters. JLM is just so much fun to watch. A good show with comedy/dark moments that's done right. 

I caught the first season of Daredevil on Netflix and really liked it, but it's a dark show, both in tone and that the show has a small electricity budget. 

I'm definitely going to be watching Daredevil in the future (as I said, the hubs and I are going to do the Marvel viewing plan once Agent Carter starts streaming...).  I'm not a fan of dark--as in, no lights--shows, but I can put up with it.  

I'm also interested to see how Jessica Jones turns out.

I'm definitely going to be watching Daredevil in the future (as I said, the hubs and I are going to do the Marvel viewing plan once Agent Carter starts streaming...).  I'm not a fan of dark--as in, no lights--shows, but I can put up with it.  

I'm also interested to see how Jessica Jones turns out.

I think Daredevil is a good show, but I thought that the early episodes were a bit slow. Although, once you hit halfway it starts to get really good and throughout the series there were MCU easter eggs all over the place (and they keep on referencing The Battle of New York, but it was never really mentioned, out loud by name). 

On Friday, Jessica Jones is going to come out and I am planning on watching that. I am also planning on starting to watch Agent Carter soon, which will be over the Holidays. 

Edited by TVSpectator
"but this is actually true of Portland.  We're still trying to live down the mess that was Sam Adams".

Adams was vaguely okay - just had the scandal of the affair with the 18 year old. The Oregon governor had some weird issues that made him resign: http://www.bloomberg...ncee-s-dealings

I actually met Sam Adams once, before he became mayor, and he was the most cliche'd creepy politician (in a very comical way) that I've ever met.

I also have a friend whose former partner was friends with Sam Adams' former partner, so he had met Adams at several social occasions.  Anyway, we were talking about Sam Adams once and my friend said that Sam Adams was a horrible, horrible person-that if you looked in his eyes all you saw was a soulless abyss of evil and that he was like "one of those monsters on that show they film here."  Then I had to explain to him that, no, Sam Adams was not like one of the monsters from what he described.  Instead he (my friend) was a monster and Sam Adams was one of the people who could see them...because that is how it worked.  I was then told that Grimm was a stupid show.

Yeah, Kitzhaber goes into the "oh, how the mighty have fallen" category.  Ugh.  We also had a governor who, after he left office, was discovered to have a thing for underage girls.  So, there is that, too.....

• Love 1

OtterMommy- I live in CA...I'm not sure about "evil and soulless" but we have a Governor that makes you wonder if he even has two working brain cells. I would hope he wasn't In to underage girls though- since he could be their grandpa.

• Love 1

Just saw on the news that Oregon is getting hit with a lot of rain and flooding.  Hope all of you Oregonians are safe and sound!

Safe but very wet...  Apparently I live in a floodplain, so we'll see how long it takes before our house floats away!

• Love 1
What's behind Door Number One?

I'm assuming it's the Shanghai Tunnels.

http://www.shanghaitunnels.info/

Y'know, reading this FAQ, it turns out they have TOURS of the tunnels.  Nick's gonna work like the devil to get the hatch open to find a bunch of tourists from Japan watching him come through the hatch.

I have actually been on a couple of tours of the Shanghai Tunnels.  You enter through a manhole (well, more like a trap door) in front of a Hobo's, which is currently a gay bar, in Old Town.   And....that is actually the coolest part of the tour.

The guy who runs it is, well, "unique."  He says that he spent his childhood roaming the tunnels--and that should explain everything you need to know about him.  The actual tour area is just the basement of Hobo's and there isn't much there--what is there, frankly, looks like it has been planted for the benefit of the tour goers.  There is some interesting history there, but it is presented with this over the top "spoooooky" tone that it is all ridiculous.  

(On a show-related note, I am kind of shocked that Grimm hasn't shanghai'd--HA HA!--this for an episode plot.  It certainly would be more interesting than most of the crap lately.)

I will say this from personal experience: the fun level of the tour is directly related to your blood alcohol level.

I tried to find the clip Anthony Bourdain did of this on his old Travel Channel show, but no luck.  Too bad, because it is a classic!  I did find this, which is pretty much the entire tour, including the whacko tour guide.

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 1

I can't wait to see Sasha Roiz play Eve attempting to act like Renard.

My favorite Shape Shifting show was the X-Files episode Small Potatoes.  This meek, mousy guy morphs into Mulder & tries to seduce Scully, who can tell there's something off.  Watching Duchovny play Eddie VanBlundht pretending to be Mulder was hilarious.

I'm starting to give up hope that Grimm will ever be watchable again.  I mean, I can't even bring myself to go back and watch seasons 1-4 because I know what a shitshow it becomes.  So, I ask you all this...

Is The 100 worth my time?  

I'm starting to give up hope that Grimm will ever be watchable again.  I mean, I can't even bring myself to go back and watch seasons 1-4 because I know what a shitshow it becomes.  So, I ask you all this...

Is The 100 worth my time?  

I think it's pretty much classic CW drama.  Little too much idiot ball carrying for my personal taste, but some very good actors, and I have found myself watching it off and on despite the idiot ball carrying.

May I suggest iZombie?  I enjoy it as much as I did the first season of Grimm.  It has a nice balance of humour and seriousness, when the characters carry the idiot ball they pay a price for it, and for the most part they have been darn good on plot follow through.

Edited by snarkbunny
  • Love 2

I think it's pretty much classic CW drama.  Little too much idiot ball carrying for my personal taste, but some very good actors, and I have found myself watching it off and on despite the idiot ball carrying.

May I suggest iZombie?  I enjoy it as much as I did the first season of Grimm.  It has a nice balance of humour and seriousness, when the characters carry the idiot ball they pay a price for it, and for the most part they have been darn good on plot follow through.

Thanks for the recommendation!  I hadn't heard anything about iZombie, but I'll check it out.  My husband watched the first season, maybe first 2 seasons, of The 100 and said he liked it, but he doesn't seem to have any interest in watching any more of it, so who knows....

(edited)

FYI - here is a reddit interview with one of the real Portland mayoral candidates, who is considered an outsider, but she received the endorsement of the major weekly, the Mercury. It's funny to compare with the short stretches of debate between Renard and that other guy. Renard is a bit more mainstream in a sense because Iannarone is a grad student in urban planning, but I don't know if you could call him 'establishment'.

http://imgur.com/RIMzF00 (wearing mao/stalin/che skirt?)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Portland/comments/4ivvjb/hi_im_sarah_iannarone_candidate_for_portland/

http://www.portlandmercury.com/feature/2016/04/27/17972134/shake-up-the-city

Ted Wheeler to swim ballot across the river.

http://www.wweek.com/news/2016/05/12/ted-wheeler-to-swim-across-the-willamette-to-drop-off-his-ballot/

Edited by ottilie
  • Love 1

OtterMommy and other Oregonians:  I am sad to see Rip City eliminated from the play offs.  That is a fun team to watch, love Damian Lillard.  They put up a good fight against Golden State.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

OtterMommy and other Oregonians:  I am sad to see Rip City eliminated from the play offs.  That is a fun team to watch, love Damian Lillard.  They put up a good fight against Golden State.

We were sad to see it to, but the truth is that Portland has become much more of a soccer city than a basketball city.  The Timbers are the reigning MLS champions and the Blazers are *still* trying to get out from under the cloud of the "Jail Blazer" era several years ago.  Still, I remember growing up and watching the likes of Clyde Drexler and Terry Porter battle against the likes of Michael Jordan...those were good years!

Ah well...the Blazers are young, so maybe they can recapture some of the local love again!

• Love 2

For a pretty small market team to get to round 2 of the playoffs, well, that's more than I can say for my Bucks. .  .

I am thinking, though...I usually check out of shows before they hit the low that Grimm is currently at, but I can't think of an actor who stayed to the bitter end of something like this who then had their next job be a "step up."  For those of you who follow more TV than I do (right now, my favorite show is a 3-5 year old New Zealand program that I'm streaming on netflix...I'm obviously not on the cutting edge of TV happenings!), can you think of cases where that did happen? (Feel free to respond in the Spice Shop if necessary.....)

I am also not a big t.v. consumer, but that's a good point.  I'm sure there must be an example or two, but even shows that were pretty consistently good, like Lost (I know, the finale) were not the leaping off point for bigger and better.  Yesterday I heard an interview with Claire Coffee's husband who said that he thinks that PHC is bigger than Garrison Keillor and there will be an audience for it, but that they only have shows through February and then ratings will determine if it will go on.  So whether Adalind gets offed, or stays for the final season, they could both be out of jobs at the same time. 

5 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

For a pretty small market team to get to round 2 of the playoffs, well, that's more than I can say for my Bucks. .  .

I am also not a big t.v. consumer, but that's a good point.  I'm sure there must be an example or two, but even shows that were pretty consistently good, like Lost (I know, the finale) were not the leaping off point for bigger and better.  Yesterday I heard an interview with Claire Coffee's husband who said that he thinks that PHC is bigger than Garrison Keillor and there will be an audience for it, but that they only have shows through February and then ratings will determine if it will go on.  So whether Adalind gets offed, or stays for the final season, they could both be out of jobs at the same time. 

I will say that I think that PHC will continue.  I quit listening a couple of years ago (I grew up listening to it) because it was just so stale.  However, I did go back and listened to the episodes that Chris Thile guest hosted in February 2015 and they were fabulous.  Frankly, Thile is better than GK in pretty much every way--hosting, acting, and obviously music--and the only thing that I think I'll miss from the show is the News from Lake Wobegon.  I also think that Thile will bring new listeners to the show (and existing listeners--well, if they are still listening to it now, they aren't going anywhere....)

Thinking, though, of my original question...I noticed that Hayley Atwell is getting her own show after (like 3 minutes after) Agent Carter was canceled.  However, Agent Carter was always a good show and I've never really understood why the ratings were so low...unlike other shows where the ratings are following the quality (cough, cough...Grimm...cough, cough....).  Oh, and I will totally be over on the Conviction board once it is up!

• Love 1

Johnny Galecki stuck it out on Roseanne until the bitter, bitter end, then went on to star in Big Bang Theory. Also, Alyssa Milano has stuck it out though the ugly demise of a few of her shows and seems Teflon enough for it. Probably it helps if you're a good actor? Also it seems to be easier for sitcom actors to reboot themselves, thinking generally.