Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Girl Fight

Cranberry

Schmidt quickly regrets trying to understand the politics of a girl fight when one breaks out between Jess and Cece. Meanwhile, Nick goes on a date with Tran's granddaughter, whom Winston believes is hiding a secret.

I really, really, really hated this episode. I mean, a lot. First off, no disrespect to Damien Wayans Jr., who is doing the best with some terrible material that he can, but Coach is an amazingly unfunny character, and he brings nothing but negative energy to what had been a pretty well-defined show sensibility. I'm not opposed to guys-getting-hit-in-the-nuts type humor on principle, but this was unnecessarily aggro douchery and I'm really surprised that it wasn't at all challenged by the show.

Also, Jess & CeCe's fight? What? I haven't seen every episode of this show, but haven't we seen those two address problems directly in the past? Like in the car show episode? Or the one where they found out that CeCe might have trouble getting pregnant? (What ever happened to that, by the way?) I know that they have to continue to come up with storylines for the show, but to undercut 3.5 seasons of strong friendship by making the women - or, excuse me, girls - act like passive-aggressive bitches is, um. . . I don't really know what the word for that is. Poor writing? Insulting to the audience? Tone deaf? Just bad?

I did like a couple of things about this episode - that Schmidt can't go for 3 days without seeing CeCe. (In fact, I was kind of hoping the show would be a recreation of what the characters did in the 3 days that we missed. There's a free idea for a future episode, writers!) Winston continues to be a hero, even duck-taped to a chair. Nadia's line about the baby-cage was good, although most of her other lines were misses for me. But overall, this was just a very unpleasant half-hour of television.

• Love 1

I liked it.

I love Tran's granddaughter. What's her name? The actress is just terrific, and the character is a lot of fun. I was afraid that she was going to learn that Nick thought she was a homeless gold digger and dump him, so I'm glad that didn't happen. I wonder if Nick will start to feel like a kept man. That seems kind of trite, but the writers might do something different with it.

Loved when during their date Nick says, "I wanted to do this all night," then walks his fingers around the table. And then the granddaughter's sweater shoulder shrugging was cute.

Coach, and then Winston, punching other guys in the nuts or stomach didn't bother me because it was so cartoonish. I wasn't really so pleased that the baby shower turned into a brawl, except for Nadia's glee at the whole thing.

I thought Nadia had great lines.

"Where is top of baby cage?"

"Hey Jew. How's pee-pee?"

"Ah, Mr. Stripper!"

And of course Winston was fun. Loved when we see him saran-wrapped to his wheelie chair, and then he tippy-toe spins himself around.

• Love 3

I thought this episode was ridiculous, a lot of people doing things completely out of character. The only thing I laughed at was Nadia stomping on her gifts.

"Where is top of baby cage?"

I am terrified for her baby though!

• Love 1

Is that a shelf full of VHS tapes behind Winston? The home recorded kind. And an old camera?

2014-12-03-new-girl2.gif

Also loving everything about Tran's grand daughter. "You're not his best friend."

Winston, as usual, hilarious.

• Love 3

I enjoyed this episode!  As a woman with a handful of very long-term close female friendships, the "holding onto anger" thing between Jess and CeCe really *did* ring true to me.  I recall a fight that got physical with one of my best friends/roommates in college (we've been friends since kindergarten!) where we rehashed everything from her stealing my dance partner in first grade to me borrowing her skirt without asking. (ok there may have been alcohol involved in this fight) 

Also loving everything about Tran's grand daughter. "You're not his best friend."

Same here. She's smart, cute, seems to have her head together, and seems to like Nick in spite of all his baggage and disarray. I hope she sticks around for a few more episodes.

Loved the return of Nadia too. Baby cage! And a callback to Schmidt's broken organ. I wonder if the actress ever eats solid food. The big fight scene was sort of over the top, but Nick's and Winston's scenes in this episode more than made up for it.

• Love 1

This episode had a really obvious continuity error.  When Jess is exchanging texts with CeCe, she's wearing a black top with a tiny bit of white collar showing, and her hair in front of her shoulders on both sides.  After she gets the double-syringe text, they cut to Schmidt for just a second and when they cut back to Jess, her collar is now out and it's a super-wide white collar, and her hair is pushed back on one side.

Does no one remember the boob slapping fight Jess and CeCe got into last season? Or whenever? I remember thinking that we've seen them fight before so this was really weird. 

I absolutely loved everything in Nick's storyline this week with Tran's granddaughter.  They were great.

Didn't enjoy the rest, though.  The gender-stereotyping (I assure you, some of my male friends are more passive-aggressive than Cece and Jess were depicted this week) and the "lesson" that physical violence is the best way to address your issues.  That whole plot just didn't sit right with me at all.

• Love 1

So Schmidt thinks Nadia could be carrying his baby right? if it was like 8 months ago she broke his junk... I don't remember the timeline well..

Nick hit gold with that girl, if it doesn't work out can I have her number? LOL

I'm still scratching my head about Jess wearing frames w/o glasses, and some scenes she's not even wearing some, and those flashbacks she had glasses with glass LOL

In terms of shooting a tv show, I understand having an actor wear frames without lenses to avoid getting glare on the glass. But I can also see Jess being a hipster who has perfect vision and wears glasses as an accessory. I'm okay with Jess not wearing glasses in every scene though. I know some people who only wear glasses for certain things (working on the computer, reading, anything with small print) because their vision is only a little bit off. Sometimes they forget they have them on after they're done.

• Love 1
So Schmidt thinks Nadia could be carrying his baby right? if it was like 8 months ago she broke his junk... I don't remember the timeline well.

I didn't get that impression from the scene. I also thought the incident was more like 2 years ago. I think he's just uncomfortable around Nadia because of what happened.

"where else am i supposed to keep my feminist writings? in a purse, that's where". also, Tran's granddaughter is the greatest addition to this show ever. she and i have the same idea of a perfect date- sitting around doing absolutely nothing. 

i know absolutely nothing about emojis, because i'm bizarrely not of this age, but the whole scene with Jess texting CeCe killed me. 

Edited by blackCatCollins
Tran's granddaughter is the greatest addition to this show ever. she and i have the same idea of a perfect date- sitting around doing absolutely nothing.

Me too! Moreover, if I can do this wearing sweatpants, I am much more likely to take the relationship seriously. In fact, i think I may set up a dating profile where I list this as a qualification. I am not Nick, but I do like to be comfortable!

the whole scene with Jess texting CeCe killed me.

Two syringes! WTF?!

I had mixed feelings about this episode overall. There were some gems. I loved Winston's snowflakes-- I actually made a zillion paper snowflakes and decorated my apartment with them, so his "not enough" made it extra-fine (though what kind of paper was he using that they all hung so well? I had to mount mine on cardboard or stick them to the wall). Really, Winston was funny so many times this episode, I can't even list them all.

The thing is, though, that this show has always been about "girls" vs "boys"-- right from the pilot. And it's charming how everyone ultimately loves each other, but that fundamental gender-based driver is never a good fit for me. So some of the episodes with fabulous moments, are simultaneously the most alienating for me, because I'm not connecting to-- and even feel deeply resentful of and alienated against-- the driving principle of "girls vs boys".

I mean, I don't like baby showers, so a brawl made that one kind of great-- catharsis for all the pent up feelings of hostility those events inspire in me. But in my heart, I know it's in there because the show thinks "girl fights" are funny. And the guys punching each other was supposed to be... what? Some kind of insane model of male simplicity? I dunno. It's fundamentally twisted and sick, but despite this they make the moments of humor just as great as the failures of vision are terrible. So I remain somewhat hooked, despite my aversion to the premise.

l'd like to meet Tran's actual best friend.

• Love 2