Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Discussion

Lisin
  • Start Topic

On 10/22/2022 at 4:24 PM, cambridgeguy said:

One of the villains showing up this season has been confirmed

I don't think we've ever seen Barry meet this person in the regular timeline, although it's certainly plausible that they've had some offscreen interactions.

Glad about that actress being back in the universe, but I'm neutral the character. I just don't have any expectations for the final season.

----

Also, Danielle Panabaker has a new cut and color; maybe for her new character? I doubt they are putting her back in a wig, because that's half the reason they killed off Frost.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj6CZmjPNky/

Season 9 synopsis:

After defeating the Reverse Flash once and for all, the ninth season of THE FLASH picks up one week later following their epic battle, and Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) and Iris West-Allen (Candice Patton) are reconnecting and growing closer than ever before. But when a deadly group of Rogues descend on Central City led by a powerful new threat, The Flash and his team - Caitlin Snow (Danielle Panabaker), Meta-Empath Cecile Horton (Danielle Nicolet), the light-powered meta Allegra Garcia (Kayla Compton), brilliant tech-nerd Chester P. Runk (Brandon McKnight), and reformed cryogenics thief Mark Blaine (Jon Cor) - must once again defy impossible odds to save the day. But as The Rogues are defeated, a deadly new adversary rises to challenge Barry Allen's heroic legacy. And in their greatest battle yet, Barry and Team Flash will be pushed to their limits, in order to save Central City one last time.

It says RF has been defeated "once and for all" but I know they'll find some way to bring him back one more time.

We know about at least one Rogue (officially) but otherwise this is vague, and nothing much to really get excited or speculate about.

Wallace's interviews at the end of last season made it seem like Caitlin was turned into someone new, and it seems like they want to keep that a surprise? Although, I wouldn't be surprised if they repeat themselves and have her share a body with this new personality, or just turn her back to Caitlin after a while. Hopefully, with Chillblaine being a regular, he and her can be isolated in their own C-plots so I can skip easily.

Edited by Trini

https://www.tvinsider.com/1073513/the-flash-season-9-nicole-maines-dreamer-nia-nal/

TV Insider has exclusively learned that Supergirl‘s Nicole Maines (a TV Guide Magazine Fan Favorite!) is set to reprise her role as Nia Nal, aka Dreamer, during The Flash‘s upcoming ninth and final season.

“As Supergirl fans ourselves, all of us here on The Flash are SUPER-excited to have Nicole join Team Flash for a one-off adventure as we put together our final season,” says showrunner Eric Wallace.

“Nicole is a fantastically talented actress and I’m so happy she’s agreed to be part of a very special Season 9 episode where I get to cross off one of my “Arrowverse Bucket List” team-ups: Having two fantastic reporters — Iris West-Allen (Candice Patton) and Nia Nal — investigate their own very bizarre and frightening mystery.”

--

This is cool; but I also really want Kara/Supergirl to guest star too.

6 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

So a flashback? 

Did they say he's appearing as Spectre? There's also the possibility of time travel - maybe Barry needs something from pre-deaths Oliver/Arrow.

----

All I need is Cisco and Kara to show up at some point, and I'm set. I'm still sad none of the Flash cast got to cameo in Supergirl's final season. But I know it will be hard (if it's possible at all) to get Melissa Benoist, since she's starring in another series that's filming across the country.

Edited by Trini
11 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

I didn't realize Wally would be in the same episode as the other guest stars. I hope he's in at least one other episode too.

Since Bloodwork is in this episode too, there's been speculation that "Green Arrow" is back as a vision from Bloodwork's infection of Barry. Very plausible.

Season Premiere synopsis:

Wednesday Ever After

Season S.9  Episode Ep. 901

Airdate: 02/8/2023 8:00pm

SEASON PREMIERE – Barry (Grant Gustin) creates a map book to guide him and Iris (Candice Patton) throughout their future in order to keep her safe, but the results are not what he expected, and instead, they relive the same day over and over again. Joe (Jesse L. Martin) has a heart-to-heart with Cecile (Danielle Nicolet). A new big bad is introduced to Team Flash and friends and foes, old and new, begin to descend upon Central City.

Vanessa Parise directed the episode with story by Eric Wallace and teleplay by Thomas Pound & Sarah Tarkoff (#901).  Original airdate 2/8/2023.

----

Sarah Tarkoff is a new writer this season; she previously worked on Arrow.

How does making a "map book" create a time loop?? And time loop episodes can be interesting, but it's kinda odd to start the season with one.

Looks like the setup for JL Martin's exit is in the premiere; I just wonder how many episodes he'll actually appear in. The premiere and finale I think are locks, but more than those?

It will probably be addressed, but it's interesting that they're still not saying anything about Caitlin.

The higher resolution version of the latest trailer is up on CW's youtube, finally; and I'm shaking my head at the scene with Barry, Goldface, Pied Piper, Chillblaine, and -ugh- the Hotness in STAR Labs -- all unmasked. Like, I know it's a running joke at this point, but why does everyone have to know the Flash's "secret" identity? Also why isn't Goldface in prison??

The start of the season almost always starts out great; so while I'm glad about the good reviews, I'm still keeping low expectations for the season.

-----

Also the 9.02 synopsis is out:

"Hear No Evil" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

NEW KID IN TOWN - Barry (Grant Gustin) feels guilty for what happened to Caitlin and Mark (Jon Cor) comes up with a plan which makes everyone skeptical. Meanwhile, Red Death looms in Central City and commands that failure is not an option. Joe (Jesse L. Martin) asks Cecile (Danielle Nicolet) to make a choice which leads Cecile to think about the greater good. Allegra (Kayla Compton) and Chester (Brandon McKnight) take a step in a new direction. Lastly, old friends pay an unexpected visit to S.T.A.R. Labs.

Eric Wallace directed the episode written by Jonathan Butler & Kristen Kim (#902). Original airdate 2/15/2023.

... And here's the low that comes after the high.  --SIGH--

Butler is good, but Wallace directing an episode written by Kim that focuses on ALL (all!) the supporting characters? Sounds like a skip except for Red Death.

[ETA:] Wait - "Barry feels guilty" for something Caitlin brought on herself?? Nope. Hate it.

Edited by Trini

More season premiere teases from TVLine:

https://tvline.com/lists/the-flash-final-season-9-spoilers-westallen-iris-storyline/the-flash-final-season/

I have not heard anything about The Flash; rather, I have seen the final season’s entire first episode (airing Wednesday, Feb. 8 at 8/7c), with my own two eyes, and it is one of the best #WestAllen episodes in a while. There is a medium-sized list of things I am not allowed to tease, but I can tell you to watch for a brief pillow fight, lotsa shirtless Barry, and an “Ooh, did I hear that correctly?” name-drop from another Arrowverse series.

Is there any scoop on what Iris’ arc will be in this final season of The Flash? –Bea

There’s a big, likely hint in the season premiere, but the exact nature of it is on the “Do Not Reveal” list I mentioned above.

9.03 synopsis:

"Rogues of War" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

ON THE MOVE - Barry (Grant Gustin) and Iris (Candice Patton) start to put together the pieces of what's happening in Central City and believe they know what the Rogues are after. Team Flash works together and recruits some unlikely allies to help, and the plan does not go as Team Flash expects. Meanwhile, Allegra (Kayla Compton) does her best to avoid having a conversation with Chester (Brandon McKnight).

Brenton Spencer directed the episode with story by Sam Chalsen and written by Jeff Hersch & Jess Carson (#903). Original airdate 2/22/2023.

https://tvline.com/lists/criminal-minds-evolution-finale-spoilers-death-and-mystery/the-blacklist-the-flash/

A deleted storyline isn't really a spoiler, but:

Will we find out in this season of The Flash who hacked Chester’s computer in Season 8? Because I don’t recall getting an answer. –KoS

“Yes and no,” says Flash showrunner Eric Wallace. “When we thought we were getting a full 20 episodes, there was an entire storyline about the character who hacked Chester. But when we found out it was only 13 [episodes], that entire storyline went away, so it doesn’t really get addressed hardcore in the way that I had hoped.”

9.04 synopsis:

"The Mask of the Red Death, Part 1 " - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

LET THERE BE DARKNESS - The Flash (Grant Gustin) is forced to make an impossible choice. With the power out in the city, Team Flash calls upon the Rogue Squad to help as Iris (Candice Patton) is visited by an old friend. Joe (Jesse L. Martin) and Cecile (Danielle Nicolet) work on finding a balance.

Menhaj Huda directed the episode written by Joshua V. Gilbert & Emily Palizzi (#904). Original airdate 3/1/2023.

---

An "old friend" of Iris? On this show, "old" could be someone that's only been around the last 2 seasons. In any case, it would be a short list.

They are going to be using "old friend" a lot this season arent they? 

And with this being the last season do we really need any sort of conflict between ANY of the couples? Either break them up or have them live in their happily ever after. There are plenty of storylines to tell that dont involve forced drama.

• Like 1
On 2/9/2023 at 9:34 PM, Trini said:

An "old friend" of Iris? On this show, "old" could be someone that's only been around the last 2 seasons. In any case, it would be a short list.

Yeah, it's pretty clear none of these people have friends outside of the other main cast and visitors from other shows.  Based on what we've seen on screen, Felicity is Iris's best friend. 

Speaking of Felicity, Joe should move to Star City.  Isn't it supposed to be a crime free paradise thanks to Oliver's last act?

9.05 synopsis -- which is kind of a mess:

"The Mask of the Red Death, Part Two" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

THE ERA OF THE RED DEATH - As the Red Death wreaks havoc on Central City, Barry (Grant Gustin) and Iris (Candice Patton) come up with a plan and turn to Cecile (Danielle Nicolet) for help. Barry is faced with what he thinks was his greatest mistake, and the Red Death's greatest success. Khione (Danielle Panabaker) wants to help Team Flash, but Barry can't risk losing her. Joe (Jesse L. Martin) gives Barry a very much needed pep talk.

Rachel Talalay directed the episode with story by Jonathan Butler and teleplay by Dan Fisk (#905). Original airdate 3/8/2023.

--------

and turn to Cecile (Danielle Nicolet) for help.

UGH - Still not understanding this need to make Cecile so important.

Joe (Jesse L. Martin) gives Barry a very much needed pep talk.

Like he does every other episode (when he's there)? Why is this even in the synopsis??

9.06 synopsis; which sounds like another "interlude" episode - even though the season is short:

https://flashtvnews.com/the-flash-906-description-the-good-the-bad-and-the-lucky/46080

“The Good, The Bad and the Lucky”

LUCK BE A LADY – As Barry (Grant Gustin) and Iris (Candice Patton) prepare for their new life, luck changes for those in Central City. Cecile (Danielle Nicolet) takes on a case with Allegra’s (Kayla Compton) help, involving a string of unfortunate – and highly unexpected – events. Meanwhile, Chester (Brandon McKnight) and the team work with Khione (Danielle Panabaker) to figure out her abilities.

Chad Lowe directed the episode written by Thomas Pound & Jess Carson (#906). Original airdate 3/15/2023.

----

Just like Godspeed, it looks like the bulk of Red Death's arc is going to be crammed into two episodes.  :-/

(edited)

It seems like there might be good moments/scenes this season, but the overall stories are going to be so-so. There are always highs and lows, but I wish the show was (had been) more consistent these past few seasons.

Teases from critics who got screeners for this week's episode:

Edited by Trini
Oy, spelling
  • Like 1

9.07 synopsis; Dreamer visits!

"Wildest Dreams" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DV) (HDTV)

ONLY IN OUR DREAMS - NICOLE MAINES GUEST STARS - Iris (Candice Patton) is visited by Nia Nal (guest star Nicole Maines), as she needs Iris' help. When Iris and Nia fall into a fever dream and explore different possibilities for their lives, Barry (Grant Gustin), Chester (Brandon McKnight), Allegra (Kayla Compton) and Cecile (Danielle Nicolet) desperately try to help them. Meanwhile, Mark (Jon Cor) entertains Khione (Danielle Panabaker) but they have different ideas of what is fun, leaving Khione to feel that Mark is trying to make her something she is not.

Jesse Warn directed the episode written by Kristen Kim & Jeff Hersh Carson (#907). Original airdate 3/29/2023.

There might be an updated synopsis later because it looks like they messed up the writing credits.

The A-plot sounds interesting but, as per usual, you never know how bad the execution might be. But at least Chillame and Khione will be off on their own skippable subplot.

Nicole Maines shared a bit about her plot in "Wildest Dreams":

Maines also teased what to expect from Dreamer's Flash appearance, revealing that the episode pairs Nia with Candice Patton's Iris West-Allen as the two find themselves trapped in the dream realm while the rest of Team Flash struggle to free them.

"When she's coming back, she's coming back as Nia, less Dreamer," Maines says. "It's not crime fighting. It's not, 'Let's go out in the super suits and let's kick some butt.' This is Iris and Dreamer trapped in a vision, trying to put the pieces together, and racing against the clock. The focus on Iris and Nia's friendship was really great because I love Candice so much, and so her and I getting to run around together in the dream realm was a blast. Getting to lean into the comedy where we could and lean into the terror where we could was really fun."

https://www.ign.com/articles/supergirl-nicole-maines-dreamer-graphic-novel-bad-dream

Again, I (mostly) trust the actors, but they aren't the ones who write and edit the episodes.

9.08 synopsis; yet another "old friend" appears:

"Partners in Time" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DV) (HDTV)

STUCK IN THE PAST, RACING TO THE FUTURE - A seemingly simple mold inspection at S.T.A.R. Labs leads to unexpected time anomalies. Barry (Grant Gustin) and Iris (Candice Patton) try to make sense of the confusion - and figure out how to get back to their reality.

Chester (Brandon McKnight) admits a secret to Allegra (Kayla Compton) which makes things awkward between the two, and Allegra relies on Cecile (Danielle Nicolet) to act as a buffer. Meanwhile, Khione (Danielle Panabaker) meets with an old friend of Team Flash.

The episode was written by Sarah Tarkoff & Joshua V. Gilbert and directed by Ed Fraiman (#908). Original airdate 4/5/2023.

Ugh - came across this quote; and it's probably going to go as well as the Deathstorm arc did (not well).

We’re so excited to have Rick join us once more as we put together our final batch of emotional and thrilling episodes,” showrunner Eric Wallace said. “It’s especially wonderful as Rick was an integral part of the show’s inaugural season. So having him return to help us conclude our show’s incredible nine-year run was more than a privilege. It was a no-brainer.”

“We tried to get him more last year and due to availability issues and all that stuff, we could only get him into two episodes. But I always felt that if we were going to bookend the show — I’m pretending that season 9 and 1 are bookends to The Flash story — I mean, Flash might be happily married, but Iris was engaged to another dude,” Eric added. “And even if he’s dead, might there still be some ghostly baggage to deal with that? I think so. And when better to deal with it than in season 9 and to do it in a very fun but also unexpected way. So look for that in his return.”

Also, it just sounds like a repeat of themes/story beats that have already been done - multiple times - already.

36 minutes ago, Trini said:

Also, it just sounds like a repeat of themes/story beats that have already been done - multiple times - already.

Yeah, if there's one thing The Flash has done well it's taking a good character/story and them hammering it into the ground until it's just annoying.

From TVLine: https://tvline.com/lists/chicago-fire-stellaride-marriage-spoilers-taylor-kinney-absence/the-flash-oliver-wally-black-lightning/

I have seen Wally’s return (in the final season’s ninth episode, airing April 26), and I have to say, it is far more substantial than I anticipated, with some really nice work by Keiynan Lonsdale.

When Stephen Amell guest-stars in Episode 9 (airing April 26), keep your ears peeled for a fun nod to how long Arrow and The Flash each ran on The CW.

Glad to hear that about Keiynan/Wally.

Grant also teases other stuff in the other TVLine interviews.

(edited)

https://tvline.com/2023/04/05/the-flash-trailer-season-9-episode-9-stephen-amell-returns-david-ramsey-keiynan-lonsdale/

Titled “It’s My Party and I’ll Die If I Want To” and directed by cast member Danielle Panabaker, the April 26 episode opens with a surprise birthday party for Barry, who, yes, is turning 30 again. (The Season 8 finale’s supercharge, it is explained, de-aged the speedster some.) Dr. Ramsey Rosso aka Bloodwork, alas, proves to be quite the uninvited party pooper, having escaped ARGUS to catapult Flash, Iris, John Diggle, Wally West et al into a nightmare scenario.

Edited by Trini

9.09 synopsis:

"It's My Party and I'll Die If I Want To" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BARRY; STEPHEN AMELL, DAVID RAMSEY, KEIYNAN LONSDALE AND SENDHIL RAMAMURTHY GUEST STAR - Team Flash throws a surprise birthday party for Barry (Grant Gustin) but things go terribly awry when Ramsey Rosso (Sendhil Ramamurthy) crashes the festivities.

Danielle Panabaker directed the episode written by Sam Chalsen & Emily Palizzi (#909). Original airdate 4/26/2023.

9.10 synopsis; apparently part 1 of a 4-part story for the finale, written and directed by Wallace:

"A New World, Part One" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

LIVE IN THE MOMENT - As Iris (Candice Patton) receives word of a career milestone, Barry (Grant Gustin) is suddenly nowhere to be found. In trying to get back home, Barry runs across many familiar faces.

Khione (Danielle Panabaker) continues to figure out her powers and Chester (Brandon McKnight) works on a suit for Allegra (Kayla Compton).

Eric Wallace directed the episode written by Eric Wallace & Thomas Pound (#910). Original airdate 5/3/2023.

---

... Barry runs across many familiar faces.

I wish I could be excited for more cameos; what I really want is a strong conclusion for the series and Barry.

9.11 synopsis; directed by Kayla Compton:

"A New World, Part Two" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

BELIEVE IN THE IMPOSSIBLE; KAYLA COMPTON DIRECTS - Iris (Candice Patton) is alarmed by Barry's (Grant Gustin) disappearance and Cecile (Danielle Nicolet) assures her everything will be ok, but does she know that for certain? Team Flash is affected by a mysterious substance and Khione (Danielle Panabaker) develops a better understanding of what she can and cannot control.

Kayla Compton directed the episode with story by Lauren Fields and teleplay by Kristen Kim (#911). Original airdate 5/10/2023.

------

Are they really having a Barry/Flash-lite episode this late into the last season?? Barry & Iris separated for the umpteenth time - brilliant. Like this season's first ""graphic novel"", sounds like all the real action will be in the last two episodes - so these first two will mostly be a waste of space.

Also Fields is new to the show (and new-ish to TV writing in general) and paired with Kim, who's objectively the worst writer here; this episode sounds so bad already.

LOL -- Wallace was really going to kill Caitlin offscreen, and just leave it at that - no followup or anything. Then Danielle P. went all 'Karen' on him when she read the finale script:

A series finale is never easy, and in particular, as someone who can on the show since Day One, who has been on the show since the pilot, I’m invested in a different way. I had a fairly heated conversation with one of our executive producers during our filming of the series finale, just because I feel strongly about things, and I feel deeply for these characters and the stories that we’ve told some along the way, and so, my perspective is specific to me.

Is there any chance we’ll see you playing Caitlin again before the show is finished?

To my earlier comment about how I, as someone who’d been on the show since the beginning and as a fan of the show, I have a certain things I want to see out of the finale. I will say as a fan of the show, and again, as someone who worked on the show, I really I was pretty vocal once I knew it was the final season that it was important to see Caitlin again, so stay tuned.

https://flashtvnews.com/the-flash-danielle-panabaker-on-directing-tonights-big-episode/46194

I mean, I'm not a fan of Caitlin/Panabaker, but I'd be mad too if writers did that to my character.

These descriptions have been written so badly this year -- 9.12 synopsis:

"A New World, Part Three" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

THE EXTRAORDINARY; JESSICA PARKER KENNEDY AND RICK COSNETT GUEST STAR - Team Flash works together to figure out how to protect Barry (Grant Gustin), all while being very careful who they trust. Cecile (Danielle Nicolet) is skeptical of the plan after an unsuccessful attempt. Khione's (Danielle Panabaker) confidence in Chester (Brandon McKnight) enables him to convince Cecile to try one more time.

Stefan Pleszczynski directed the episode written by Jonathan Butler and & Sarah Tarkoff (#912). Original airdate 5/17/2023.

---

Butler is on my 'good writers' list; Tarkoff is new to the show, but the two episodes she has done have been good one for the leads, so maybe this will be decent. Even though there's nothing in this synopsis to sell it as an exciting penultimate episode for the series.

So is Cosnett really only going to be in the last two episodes?? Because if they bothered to bring him back at all they should have locked him down for a half the season for a larger arc.

Series finale, 9.13, synopsis:

"A New World, Part Four" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

THE FINAL RUN - The Flash (Grant Gustin), the fastest man alive, is tasked with his greatest challenge yet, to save the timeline and save existence. Friends old and new gather for an epic battle to save Central City, one last time.

The episode was written by Eric Wallace & Sam Chalsen and directed by Vanessa Parise (#913). Original airdate 5/24/2023.

On 5/4/2023 at 6:34 PM, Trini said:

Series finale, 9.13, synopsis:

Friends old and new gather for an epic battle to save Central City, one last time.

Foolishly hoping that they became incredibly good at hiding set spoilers and we'll get some sort of Barry/Oliver/Sara/Kara super team-up at the end.