Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Discussion

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I like Felicity too, but one way for them to change that is by inserting her in places where she's not needed. They need to spend less time thinking about how to get Felicity into Central Central and more time developing the characters they already have. Where is Iris's mom? Where are Iris's other friends if she has any? What are Caitlin and Cisco's lives like outside of Star Labs? Doesn't matter, let's watch Felicity and Barry awkwardly flirt some more. Yeah, I know I'm jumping to conclusions but the fact that this guy really called her the "hero of both shows" when she's not even ON The Flash shows just where his head is, i.e., firmly up this character's ass. 

• Love 5

So basically they're trying to expose the Atom to  Flash's audience.  So that'll be another person who knows about Barry's secret identity.

Probably shouldn't have him come over with the person that is arguably the Arrow's most popular character since people will be more likely to remember him then her.

I think the reason it works is because I don’t look like the girl that you’d think that about

Please tell me they're not trying to playing it off like she's ugly or something because she wears glasses and has her hair in a ponytail. Not Another Teen Movie made fun of such nonsense fourteen years ago, get a new angle.

• Love 1

Felicity is a character that appeals both to male (she's the ideal girl for geeks - hot, smart and nerdy) and female (an idealized self-insert) audiences, calling her "a girl you wouldn't think about" is idiotic and shows he has no idea about his viewers and their predilections. Although it's not like it's new information, considering they still haven't got rid of Laurel.

UPD: Oops, it was EBR who's said this. Wow. I take my words back, then.

Edited by FurryFury
They need to spend less time thinking about how to get Felicity into Central Central and more time developing the characters they already have. Where is Iris's mom? Where are Iris's other friends if she has any? What are Caitlin and Cisco's lives like outside of Star Labs?

We did get those brief scenes in the bar with Barry, Caitlin and Cisco, but otherwise, agreed with this, especially with Cisco - he's so far the only character, I think, where we know nothing about his background, parents, other friends, and so on. I don't really want to wait three years to find out.  

All that said, I think this is more to promote Ray as the Atom than for Felicity/Barry flirting.  The producers have now openly said they're trying to do an Atom spinoff, but so far, reaction to Ray over on Arrow has been muted/mixed. That might change once Ray actually starts using his robot stuff onscreen, but for now, bringing Ray over to the more popular Flash, and bringing fan favorite Felicity along, might be good for promoting Ray, if not for telling me what happened to Iris' mother. 

Guggenheim said that Felicity is heavily featured in that week's Arrow episode, so since the actress doesn't have a clone, the Ray/Felicity scenes on Flash might be brief.

I wonder on which show they'll have Ray first use the Atom suit, and what it'll actually do.  At various times he's been able to become microscopic or smaller (he could dial a telephone number and ride the current to the other end), at others he was permanently stuck c. 6" tall.  He can't control ants, though.  ;)

But ITA that this crossover is to help promote Ray and The Atom, and Felicity is there because she's more familiar to the Flash viewers and because it makes sense since she's Palmer's assistant.

• Love 3

I wonder on which show they'll have Ray first use the Atom suit, and what it'll actually do.  At various times he's been able to become microscopic or smaller (he could dial a telephone number and ride the current to the other end), at others he was permanently stuck c. 6" tall.  He can't control ants, though.  ;)

But ITA that this crossover is to help promote Ray and The Atom, and Felicity is there because she's more familiar to the Flash viewers and because it makes sense since she's Palmer's assistant.

This is what I thought too. I thought the EP's comments about triangles, etc., is shipper bait. But I think it's all going to be about Ray.

• Love 1

Some more shipper baiting. They really like teasing Caitlin/Barry, I see. But then, this is classic CW marketing strategy, shippers always bring a lot of PR.

I need some info on The Flash. Somehow I haven’t clicked yet with Iris and Barry. Can we hope for a Caitlin/Barry romance?! –French
You may be in luck. Not only does the next episode feature Grant Gustin showing off his musical chops, but “Barry and Caitlin go on an inadvertent date, which is one of my favorite scenes of the whole year,” showrunner Andrew Kreisberg raves. “They’re hilarious together.” As for Iris, Barry’s heartfelt confession of love is “definitely weighing on her,” the EP affirms, “and it’s going to weigh on Eddie and Caitlin and Linda a little bit.”
  • Love 1

Interesting..from EW

Hello Natalie, any scoop on #WestAllen—Barry and Iris on The Flash? — Regina

The introduction of Malese Jow as Linda Park, Barry’s new love interest, will throw a wrench in WestAllen for the time being. “We wanted Barry to have a little romance,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg says. “Our iteration of Linda, she’s a spark plug. She’s a firecracker. She’s a lot of fun. She’s ballsy and she speaks her mind. She’s cool. Barry can’t kind of believe that somebody like her is interested in him. Barry suddenly having somebody like that in his life will cause the other women in his life to maybe see a little green.”

But Barry’s recent proclamation of love for Iris will weigh on Linda… and Iris, Eddie, and Caitlin. Yes, Caitlin. “Barry and Caitlin go on an inadvertent date,” Kreisberg says.

Both quotes taken from the same article...lol

I hate the ship baiting and fan pandering. Linda is a plot device. Iris can't get anything outside of Barry...

Edited by LindaBelcher
I hate the ship baiting and fan pandering. Linda is a plot device. Iris can't get anything outside of Barry...

Well there aren't that many shippers yet, so maybe people will like Linda despite her intended purpose on the show and she'll become more than a plot device to make Iris jealous. I like the actress, I hope her character will be interesting. It's only season one, there's always room for expansion in the future, I'm sure the producers are taking notice of fan interest.

Some more shipper baiting. They really like teasing Caitlin/Barry, I see. But then, this is classic CW marketing strategy, shippers always bring a lot of PR.

Yeah - that was complete bait - since we know that Caitlin and Barry are only going out to find other people to help them get over Ronnie/Iris, respectively.

Mind you - that same EP also tried to drop some Barricity bait for Ep1x18 when Felicity crosses over with Ray too.

He's not my favorite EP.

He's still better than Laurel fan #1 Guggenheim (although Kreisberg is, or at least was, her fan #2). I still remember that "Emmy-worthy" phrase.

I wasn't all into Arrow fandom so I don't know what that's about - but is he better than Goffman from Sleepy Hollow with his Katrina fixation (at the expense of the leading lady of the show)? Because if Kreisberg is anything like Goffman I might need to just quit watching. I can't go through that again.

No, I don't think it's as bad (although I quit watching SH back in season 1 because the writing quality was noticeably declining even then, so I only know about Katrina's becoming the star from reading the forums). But Laurel is probably one of the worst written female leads I've ever seen, and that's saying something (I watch a lot of stuff). Her actress is also... not very emotive. However, despite continuous fan critique her prominence on the show has never waned (I've had to stop watching last season, but from what I know, she's now a superhero in her own right and in the middle of fighting alongside the other heroes), although she did lose the love interest role, FWIW. All this time both Kreisberg and Guggenheim continued to promote her and talk her up in their interviews, and some of the stuff they've said was completely baffling.

Edited by FurryFury

He's continuing to develop new shows constantly. He's kind of in JJ Abrams mode now, he doesn't handle day-to-day writing/showrunning.

Anyway, I think Kreisberg is a better writer than Guggenheim - if you look at the quality of Arrow, it has declined noticeably after he had left for The Flash back during season 2 of Arrow. 

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2
All this time both Kreisberg and Guggenheim continued to promote her and talk her up in their interviews, and some of the stuff they've said was completely baffling.

It's because Katie Cassidy and Laurel are insulted, criticized, and dragged through the mud on a constant basis by rabid fans. The poor woman actually gets death threats on twitter for merely daring to exist and be employed on the show. Mark and Andrew are doing the stand up thing by supporting her, praising her, and refusing to write off her character. It's a nice "fuck you" to all the loony toons out there who want her gone. They're like "that's cool, but we like her, so...nah".

Edited by shar
  • Love 7

People want her gone because she's a bad character played by an actress unfit for the role, that's all. Of course death threats are inexcusable, but they're no reason to say stupid stuff in interviews.

Anyway, sorry for off topic. I've had to drop the show because of Laurel and her Mary Suification at the expense of much better female characters, and I'm still incredibly bitter. Thank god The Flash doesn't any have any such problems - both Caitlyn and Iris are 10 times more likable and better written.

• Love 2

She’s a firecracker. She’s a lot of fun. She’s ballsy and she speaks her mind. She’s cool. Barry can’t kind of believe that somebody like her is interested in him.

That practically describes Felicity. Do the writers just forget things that happen as soon as they hit the paper or do they not know how to create young female characters? They are going way overboard with this virginal crap.

But Laurel is probably one of the worst written female leads I've ever seen

In my opinion of the four super hero shows so far, she's probably the most three dimensionally written woman, complete with her own storylines and not at all dependent upon men. But dat acting though...

People are going to be livid when Snowbarry happens at the end of this season. But as I said before, the signs are there and apparently we're getting even more breadcrumbs.

• Love 1
People are going to be livid when Snowbarry happens at the end of this season. But as I said before, the signs are there and apparently we're getting even more breadcrumbs.

I think there's a better chance of Killer Frost happening.  I also don't think that, although they're throwing in the BarryPark combination for now, TPTB are going to spend a lot of time on romantic relationships on this show.  They've already said they want this show to be more light-hearted action oriented rather than soap-operatic and romantic-connections-heavy, and I believe that ties into their business goal of using The Flash as the lynchpin of The CW's move to draw more male viewers to the network.  My conclusion is that they don't want to introduce many plot threads that will encourage shippers, because an active vocal shipper-heavy fandom will give the show the exact CW cachet that they're trying to escape from.

• Love 2

I don't think whatever they do will work. Shippers will latch on to anything. Felicity and Oliver were not set up romantically and fans latched on to them like bees to honey. No matter what they do there will be shipping. Whether it's the Canon pairing or not is something that can't be predicted.

• Love 3

Well, the CW may want to appeal more to male viewers but they damn sure don't want to alienate the female ones, so I don't think the romance or soap operatic stuff are going anywhere. Arrow will continue toying with Oliver/Felicity, Felicity/Ray, Thea/Roy, Thea/DJ, etc. while Barry/Linda is really nothing more than a stumbling block for Barry/Iris just as Iris/Eddie is.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 1

Or maybe it's a dream Barry's having a what if I told Iris earlier about my feelings before she got in a serious relationship with someone else. 

I also guess the Linda thing doesn't last that long. 

Edited by Sakura12

We don't have any context on the kiss. It may be part of the time travel episode so a lot of different ways it could play out. It could be part of an alternate timeline..could be between future!Iris/present!Barry or in the present but somehow gets erased.

Filming isn't always done in order, so the kiss could potentially be after 1.18. The Iris/Flash scene in 1.12 was filmed during the filming for 1.15, that's a 3 episode difference.

That could have been a reshoot. 

Matt's Inside Line:

Got any scoop on The Flash’s Gorilla Grodd? –Mason

Don’t go ape, but I instead have intel on a pair of other encores — Captain Cold and Heat Wave, who when next seen are accompanied by Lisa Snart AKA Golden Glider. Executive producer Andrew Kreisberg says with a laugh that it’s a treat to watch Leonard “try to be a good big brother to this slightly psycho younger sister,” while Lisa in turn endeavors to “manipulate Heat Wave and his willingness to be a dumb lug for love.”

• Love 1

I'm not sure I want the Killer Frost thing to happen, especially not any time soon. Team Flash is one of the best aspects of this show for. Losing Wells from the team when he's eventually found out is going to be tough, but Caitlyn as well? I hope not any time soon.

I don't want to see her as a villain, but if they go that route they better give her better motivation than they gave Slade.

I don't think Killer Frost will happen until late in s2, if not even later. Knowing these writers, the reason will be Ronnie dying (or, more likely, seemingly dying - yes, again, they've killed Sara 3 times, after all) and her thinking Barry or the team are responsible. 

• Love 1

KillerFrost may not even happen... but if it does, I don't think she will be a villain per se... I think it will be a softer incarnation. And I think it will be an accident that makes her into KF... something to do with Ronnie.

It was an accident in the comics that made her KF. 

I think I may be done with this show because of what happened on Arrow last night. These writers are just terrible at writing female characters regardless of race. They trash one female character to make another look better, they continuously sideline female characters until they are need to be the heroes love or for his manpain.

Edited by Sakura12

What exactly has happened? I don't watch Arrow anymore, but try to follow it to some extent, and I haven't heart about any really big events in the latest ep.

Anyway, I think Arrow is now ran by Guggenheim and The Flash by Kreisberg, so I don't think we should judge the latter based on the former. I'll wait until season finale or maybe even s2 premiere - while female characters aren't really written well enough for my liking, I'm invested enough in Wells to at least learn his deal. And anyway, I didn't really care that much about Arrow until season 2, which is when the show really started to gel together (too bad it lasted, like, 9 episodes).

Edited by FurryFury

They had Felicity trash Sara (because literally throwing her at a garbage dumpster wasn't enough) to make Laurel look better. This wasn't a case of the character saying it wrong like Iris, this what the writers thought would sound cool. Then have to scramble to explain on Twitter what they actually meant by it. 

I know they are different writers, but the way the women on this show are mostly treated like love interests it's not looking good to me. I want to watch a show with strong women characters that are not defined by men. 

I'll take a chance and recommend The 100 to you. I mean, season 1 was mostly awful and typical soapy CW fare, but season 2 is seriously fantastic and has a lot of awesome female characters in positions of power. I mean, no woman on the show is weak. There are leaders, technicians, fighters - very different types, but they are ALL good. And it has a lot of other compelling stuff, too. Just work through season 1, and you'll be glad you did.

I was going to watch The 100 but never got around to it because I was watching too much stuff last year. This year I dropped a lot of shows, so I have some free space on my tv schedule. Maybe I'll check it out. 

I might continue with this show, only because it's on before Agent Carter. Hopefully future storylines for all the characters get better. 

Arrow using Felicity to prop up other characters in the hopes of making that character more likable with fans is nothing new. They did it in season 2 with Barry, and they are doing it now with Ray and Laurel. Guggenheim is a hack and taking it to extremes.

I don't think this effects The Flash at all. The only way I will be concerned is if it is announced that Guggenheim will also be working on The Flash.

Edit: I second the The 100 rec. If you can stomach the first few episodes, it gets very good. Its my second favorite CW show after The Flash.

Edited by Lord Kira

KillerFrost may not even happen... but if it does, I don't think she will be a villain per se... I think it will be a softer incarnation. And I think it will be an accident that makes her into KF... something to do with Ronnie.

Robbie Amell says it's happening, as far as he knows.

Edit: I second the The 100 rec. If you can stomach the first few episodes, it gets very good. Its my second favorite CW show after The Flash.

I think it's superior to The Flash right now, but that's just me. It's BSG-light, basically, and BSG was a damn good show up to a certain point.

Robbie Amell says it's happening, as far as he knows.

I don't doubt it will happen. These writers have proved themselves as slaves to comic canon. If they didn't scrape Laurel as BC despite how the viewers hated her and loved her sister they certainly wouldn't scrape Caitlyn as Killer Frost. At least there's still hope no awesome character will have to die for it to happen (I don't count Firestorm as awesome because Robbie Amell is a block of wood).

It's too bad Morena Baccarin is on Gotham, I think it would be fun to see a 3D version of Gideon, Wells's computer. 

It looks like Ep 15 is going to go into the future, that's probably where the Barry/Iris kiss is from.

Edited by Sakura12
These writers have proved themselves as slaves to comic canon. If they didn't scrape Laurel as BC despite how the viewers hated her and loved her sister they certainly wouldn't scrape Caitlyn as Killer Frost.

Eh, more like they have a direction in mind which is great. Caitlin being gradually set up to become Killer Frost is much more interesting than some random guest star getting that arc. 

• Love 2

Arrow using Felicity to prop up other characters in the hopes of making that character more likable with fans is nothing new. They did it in season 2 with Barry, and they are doing it now with Ray and Laurel. Guggenheim is a hack and taking it to extremes.

I don't think this effects The Flash at all. The only way I will be concerned is if it is announced that Guggenheim will also be working on The Flash.

The only thing with Using Felicity to Prop characters is that isn't working with Laurel and Ray. I liked Barry without the Flirtiation with Felicity.