Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Discussion

Lisin
  • Start Topic

So Godspeed is in the premiere? Is he going to be the season's villain? I would have rather they build up to Godspeed than just introduce him in the first episode back, if that's the case. Or maybe he's not the main villain? But that's still a waste if they're only using him for one or two episodes.

I thought of Sue too, but would they have another character be a journalist?

Not fully sure how I'd feel about it myself, but if this is Sue I don't think it would be cheap or lazy, but rather maximizing the screentime and use of a character. Which, imo is something they need to do especially as the cast grows larger.

The cast is quite big so adding two recurring characters of some importance is something that needs to be balanced well. Especially since they already have Kamilla as recurring who is Cisco's girlfriend and is a photographer working with Iris  and will probably be there at the 'group having fun' scenes at the very least. 

Of course, a recurring character at the newspaper wouldn't necessarily need a lot of screentime, they could have them pop up from time to time to remind people they still work there, like Singh, but it's still a new character that needs to be set up, so at the very least an episode establishing the character.  And if they hopefully want to spend more time at the newspaper or at least doing newspaper-y things then that character would  probably need to pop up a bit more. And if the 'eager cub reporter' description is anything to go by Iris might become a bit of a mentor figure for her?

So if they're not the same, it means they have Sue coming in, for who they need to build up this potential budding romance with Ralph and if she sticks around they'll have to find something for her to do. And also this cub reporter, probably there to show Central City Citizen is growing and further Iris' journalism. 

Having the person working at Iris' newspaper be Sue, some of that screentime can be used to further both as well as the general narrative and it gives her ties to other characters and the narrative rather than just Ralph if she sticks around long term. 

I guess they could go the route of having her be a scientist or work at the CCPD like some of the other recurring characters in the past to give them more of a reason to be there and keep interacting with our characters, but I'd rather them not make her another scientist. An entirely different job would be cool too, of course, though down the line that would again mean a job that needs to be shown.

I'm still working out how I would feel about this if it were the case tbh since it also has some potential cons. That said, it's just as likely not Sue. They had Ralph look at a Dearbon file last season so Sue's 'in' into the story is more likely to be connected to that than any job she might have, though I guess it could be both. 

(on a slightly different note, having some recognizable recurring characters in different professions that only show up a few times a season might actually help make Central City feel more real)

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, RedVitC said:

I thought of Sue too, but would they have another character be a journalist?

Not fully sure how I'd feel about it myself, but if this is Sue I don't think it would be cheap or lazy, but rather maximizing the screentime and use of a character. Which, imo is something they need to do especially as the cast grows larger.

The cast is quite big so adding two recurring characters of some importance is something that needs to be balanced well. ...

Balance is key; and I hope Wallace can handle it. It can be done. I think there's room for another journalist, she doesn't have to play the same role or have the same screentime as Iris.

Good point about maximizing screentime, but I just feel like it makes everything too interconnected. The show needs expand its world.

13 hours ago, RedVitC said:

And if the 'eager cub reporter' description is anything to go by Iris might become a bit of a mentor figure for her?

This would be great! They have opportunities - will they take them?

Hmm - "eager cub reporter" sounds kind of young, right? Or at least younger than Iris/Candice. Because of that aspect this might not be Sue, because I think they might want to cast an actress a similar age (or not too much younger) as Hartley.

But also like you said, they probably want to introduce her through that Dearbon file and Ralph.

Sue doesn't really have a definite career in the comics as far as I can tell, so the writers could make her anything the show needs/wants. What they(Wallace/DC) want is the question.

Edited by Trini
(edited)

The only thing about two journalists that that this show has had trouble writing for one in the past and like the Arrowverse in general it isn't always great about doubled up skill sets despite good intentions. 

OTOH having a mentee is at least a plot for Iris. I seriously wouldn't mind more recurrings who pop in and out of the story like Singh. I guess it also just depends if this character is destined for a mask or not as well. They said it's hard to hang on to a lot of the actors who aren't on the payroll as well. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

The only thing about two journalists that that this show has had trouble writing for one in the past ...

Also this.^

----

Speaking of the expanding cast*, could this be the year there's no random Wells at STAR Labs??

*(and we still don't know who's regular or recurring, although the new main villain will be regular, certainly)

• Love 2

I think that the casting of these journalism-related characters is promising for Iris. I don't expect that they will be anything more than recurring, but this should give Iris' journalism some airtime even if it is likely related to Barry.

13 hours ago, Trini said:

Does anyone else think that this Latinx reporter could be Sue? The show can be cheap and lazy, so I can see them killing two birds with one stone. On the other hand, since Sue is Ralph's comic love interest, I would think that would be mentioned in any announcement/scoop.

I don't think so. I think that Sue will likely be one of Ralph's cases given he was looking at a file with her name at the end of last season.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, RedVitC said:

Having the person working at Iris' newspaper be Sue, some of that screentime can be used to further both as well as the general narrative and it gives her ties to other characters and the narrative rather than just Ralph if she sticks around long term. 

I like that idea especially since Ralph and Iris' offices are in the same building. It would be great to have their offices be the epicenter of  major or minor plots instead of just being in SL. I do fear that Iris will be exiled from major plots once she's no longer at SL.

Even though the cub reporter is unlikely to be Sue, I hope Iris is there to help Ralph with his budding romance with Sue.

Edited by adora721
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, adora721 said:

I like that idea especially since Ralph and Iris' offices are in the same building. It would be great to have their offices be the epicenter of  major or minor plots instead of just being in SL. I do fear that Iris will be exiled from major plots once she's no longer at SL.

That's the problem with characters having side plots that don't take place in SL, they end up on their own little island or get dropped quickly. It would be interesting if they could use Ralph and Iris that way. There are a lot of stories that could feed into meta of the week/villain of the season/superhero/star labs stuff they just haven't really utilised them much.

Whilst the character is probably not Sue I think it would be helpful for any potentially longterm LI to be connected to other characters, especially for secondary characters/pairings.

• Love 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, Trini said:

Hmm - "eager cub reporter" sounds kind of young, right? Or at least younger than Iris/Candice. Because of that aspect this might not be Sue, because I think they might want to cast an actress a similar age (or not too much younger) as Hartley.

Yeah, sounds like she's probably younger than Iris.  I think Iris started as a reporter at 24, so perhaps this new reporter could be around the same age as Iris was when she started.

Maybe that's Ralph from the future?

They're filming outside again today:

Edited to add this tweet:

Edited by RedVitC
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

It is the first episode, I can't believe that a regular or recurring character dies so soon. It must be a guest star.

I'll wait until some pics come out from the scene. Hopefully, there are pics. Still, I can't see this show throwing a funeral for a guest star. If it was someone who has been recurring, I would get. 

(edited)

I don't know if they would do this, but if the episode delves more into the aftermath of Barry and Iris losing Nora, perhaps they decide to have some sort of service for her?

Though I think they think/hope they're going to see her again in some form (and with the writers having Joe say they have to believe they'll see her again they're probably right to at least hope) so that probably wouldn't make too much sense. Plus, if there is a 6 month time jump that would make less sense.

Another out there guess: Apparently they were at that location yesterday as well (though from the tweets it's not clear if they were also filming or just setting up). With Hartley posting that pic with the facial hair also yesterday, if it is from filming, maybe it's a scene from the future or a potential one? From during or post crisis?

Interestingly Grant just posted on insta that he didn't have to film today (but he did yesterday, so I don't know), so considering that and the potential of a flashforward, perhaps it's a glimpse at what it would be like to lose Barry?

Edited by RedVitC
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, RedVitC said:

I don't know if they would do this, but if the episode delves more into the aftermath of Barry and Iris losing Nora, perhaps they decide to have some sort of service for her?

I can see this as a possibility, but like you said, it doesn't make sense that they'd go through the trouble of getting a plot for Nora if they expect to see her again.

42 minutes ago, RedVitC said:

With Hartley posting that pic with the facial hair also yesterday, if it is from filming, maybe it's a scene from the future or a potential one? From during or post crisis?

Interestingly Grant just posted on insta that he didn't have to film today (but he did yesterday, so I don't know), so considering that and the potential of a flashforward, perhaps it's a glimpse at what it would be like to lose Barry?

This seems more likely. Although, I hope that beard on Ralph isn't a future look, because they know what Hartley's actual facial hair looks like, and it not that.

So it could be a flashforward, to Barry's funeral, or - what I'd like to see - a dream sequence that shows Iris' fears about Barry's disappearance. Since, you know, they really need to actually tackle that sometime before Crisis.

I suppose it could be a flash forward. They could have Barry's headstone next to his parents. Although if he disappeared, I would think there would be a service, not an actual burial in a cemetery.

• Love 1

I was wondering if it related to Barry's alleged disappearance this season or fallout from COIE, but an actual burial, even of an empty coffin seems a bit much for both. 

There could be a shock death coming I suppose. Or one of the only regularly recurrings like Singh. 

On 7/12/2019 at 8:34 AM, Featherhat said:

I was wondering if it related to Barry's alleged disappearance this season or fallout from COIE, but an actual burial, even of an empty coffin seems a bit much for both. 

There could be a shock death coming I suppose. Or one of the only regularly recurrings like Singh. 

I’m pretty sure Grant wasn’t filming, so my guess is Barry in an alternate timeline that won’t come to pass similar to 3x19.

I can see Barry dying, but then whatever happens in the end part of the crossover (in 2020) reverses it somehow.

If it's Barry's funeral, that's an interesting choice to start the season with. Especially since we just lost Nora in the season finale.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, BeautifulFlower said:

“This season is really divided up in a way that the episodes before the crossover are pre-‘Crisis’ episodes. Then the back half of the season is all about dealing with the fallout from the events of ‘Crisis.’

I like the sound of that as well as the big bad! Fingers crossed for a good season 6!

• Love 3
(edited)

That interview sounds good, but showrunners always talk a good game before the season. Let's hope all the things Wallace mentioned are shown in the final edit.

Edited by Trini
grammar!
  • Love 5

A few things that caught my eye from that article:

“If season 4 was a little bit more humor and season 5 was a little bit more spectacle, in season 6 we’ll have a little more heart. I want to deepen character emotions,” Wallace tells EW, explaining that the Oct. 8 premiere begins 10 seconds after the tragic season 5 finale because “it allows us to not shy away from the big elephant in the room of [Barry and Iris’ daughter] Nora passing. That is something that Barry [Grant Gustin] and Iris [Candice Patton] must deal with in season 6 in order to be the heroes and supportive couple that they are.”

“Moving toward the crossover, we’re going to see the impact [losing Nora] is going to have on the future,” says Gustin.

I was hoping for a time jump; but this is okay. It makes sense that Nora's death would affect Barry & Iris greatly. And this makes me think that funeral scene might be for Nora.

In addition to “Crisis,” Barry and Team Flash will have their hands full with a new big bad, too. Although Wallace wouldn’t reveal the villain’s identity, he did confirm that the baddie is male, “has not been named dropped on the show, but is from the comics,” and has an emotional connection to Barry that distinguishes him from past big bads.

“The emotional journey that the big bad is on mirrors the emotional journey that Barry Allen must face going into season 6,” says Wallace, clarifying that Barry will deal with another emotional gauntlet in addition to losing Nora. “The big bad this season, if we can do our jobs right, will be the most personal villain the Flash has ever faced emotionally since Eobard Thawne. Because this year’s big bad is facing kind of the same circumstances Barry Allen is going through, it’s going to bring them closer together in a darker way than villains that perhaps we’ve seen in the last few seasons.”

So no Godspeed?

They've used the "personal villain" line before. ... We'll see how well that's executed.

Loved this:

'While Barry may not be looking forward to an encore from Thawne, the same can’t be said of Gustin, who is eager to see that storyline wrapped up. “Moving forward, I definitely want to see us put a bow on the big bad of the series, which is Reverse Flash,” says Gustin, who also wants Keiynan Lonsdale to return as Kid Flash, too. “I feel like we haven’t done enough Kid Flash-Flash stuff.”  Same here.'

Nice of Grant to mention Wally, who was woefully and shamefully dismissed and underutilized. And I, too, am tired of Eobard and all versions of Wells. Not that's what Grant meant, but it's what I mean.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Trini said:

A few things that caught my eye from that article:

I was hoping for a time jump; but this is okay. It makes sense that Nora's death would affect Barry & Iris greatly. And this makes me think that funeral scene might be for Nora.

So no Godspeed?

They've used the "personal villain" line before. ... We'll see how well that's executed.

Honestly, it'll be ridiculous to give Nora a funeral. I get be sad and mourning her, but I wouldn't give her a whole funeral. 

Godspeed might be a one off villain for the premiere. I don't know why they brought him back. We basically got Godspeed from the comics in Zoom.

• Love 2
(edited)

Ugh, I could do without more mourning of Nora. You just know that they will turn her into a saint instead of acknowledging that she was a fuck up and being glad to be rid of.

I do wonder if the fallout of the Crisis is that one member of Team Flash dies. I think that the speculation that one character from each show will die is plausible.

I don't get the point of bringing back Godspeed for one episode either.

Edited by SimoneS
13 hours ago, BeautifulFlower said:

I wasn't expecting much info pre-Comic Con, but it's interesting that Wallace only really talks about Barry, Iris, the main villain. A sign that Barry and his family will be centered again?

I'm sure there will be more info for other characters at Comic Con, though. Hopefully he's got something for Cisco, too.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Trini said:

I wasn't expecting much info pre-Comic Con, but it's interesting that Wallace only really talks about Barry, Iris, the main villain. A sign that Barry and his family will be centered again?

I'm sure there will be more info for other characters at Comic Con, though. Hopefully he's got something for Cisco, too.

That was my same thought. Let’s hope it pans out that way. This is the show’s last shot with me!

• Love 2

Still waiting for better promo photos, but I'm liking the Season 6 Flash suit so far. They fixed most of the problems I had with the Season 5 suit: added gold detailing; different fabric; fixed the seams that stood out too much. Now if they can just get the cowl right....

It seems the cowl will be a completely separate piece like last season, so I don't know how they will do that and have something that covers the chin/jawline AND have it blend in with the rest of the suit. I hope they worked it out.

3 hours ago, Trini said:

Still waiting for better promo photos, but I'm liking the Season 6 Flash suit so far. They fixed most of the problems I had with the Season 5 suit: added gold detailing; different fabric; fixed the seams that stood out too much. Now if they can just get the cowl right....

It seems the cowl will be a completely separate piece like last season, so I don't know how they will do that and have something that covers the chin/jawline AND have it blend in with the rest of the suit. I hope they worked it out.

You can tell all this from the EW photo? Is there another photo that I missed?

• LOL 1
6 hours ago, SimoneS said:

You can tell all this from the EW photo? Is there another photo that I missed?

Also the video of the photoshoot/interviews has several good shots of the new suit:

Press release for Season 6 villain: https://comiccon.thewb.com/wbsdcc-2019-the-flash-release/

There’s a new doctor in Central City, and he’s got everyone’s pulse racing! The addition of Heroes star Sendhil Ramamurthy in the recurring role of DC villain Bloodwork on The Flash was revealed by cast and producers at the show’s 2019 Comic-Con panel on Saturday, July 20.

Ramamurthy has signed on to season six as Dr. Ramsey Rosso, a brilliant physician with a genius intellect, and the world’s leading expert on hematological oncology. A former colleague of S.T.A.R. Labs’ Caitlin Snow (Danielle Panabaker), Rosso rekindles their friendship after they are reunited by an unexpected event. But their longtime bond is quickly shattered when the doctor’s desire to defy the laws of nature takes him down a dark path…one that transforms Rosso from an old friend into the most chilling villain Team Flash has ever faced: the monstrous Bloodwork.

---

Bloodwork is a very recent new villain for The Flash in the comics; he introduced in 2017.

From DC Database:

Ramsey Rosso, aka Bloodwork, is a Flash villain.

Ramsey was treated like a porcelain doll when he was little. He discovered what the word "hemophiliac" is when he had an emergency on the playground and almost died from the amount of blood loss he had from a cut. As an adult, he got a job at the morgue in Central City.

Ramsey began experimenting with the properties of blood, which ultimately lead to him to gain powerful new abilities, and adopt the name Bloodwork. When The Flash found out Ramsey was stealing evidence, he came to stop him, but was inflicted with tremendous pain through Ramsey's power to control blood.

(edited)

Sendhil Ramamurthy is so handsome and a good actor. He is the hottest guy to hit the show since Kendrick Sampson.

Frankly, I have heard Eric's spin from Helbing before, especially Iris' journalism being featured. I won't hold my breath.

Hell, now even Kamilla is part of Team Flash. 

If Carlos isn't leaving, what the hell was last season's horrible getting rid of Vibe and "farewell" all about?

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Sendhil Ramamurthy is so handsome and a good actor. He is the hottest guy to hit the show since Kendrick Sampson.

Frankly, I have heard Eric's spin from Helbing before, especially Iris' journalism being featured. I won't hold my breathe.

Hell, now even Kamilla is part of Team Flash. 

If Carlos isn't leaving, what the hell was last season's horrible gettting rid of Vibe and "farewell" all about?

But this time Candice was excited as well. In the past, she was always telling people that she was HOPING they would do something with Iris journalism. It sounds like s6 is finally THAT season.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Trini said:

Press release for Season 6 villain: https://comiccon.thewb.com/wbsdcc-2019-the-flash-release/

---

Bloodwork is a very recent new villain for The Flash in the comics; he introduced in 2017.

From DC Database:

I don't like how they're introducing him through Caitlin. What was wrong with going the comics route? He works for CCPD in the comics. They could've introduced him through Barry or Joe. Actually that would make more sense for this villain to have a personal connection with Barry. He has to fight his former friend/co-worker.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, BeautifulFlower said:

I don't like how they're introducing him through Caitlin. What was wrong with going the comics route? He works for CCPD in the comics. They could've introduced him through Barry or Joe. Actually that would make more sense for this villain to have a personal connection with Barry. He has to fight his former friend/co-worker.

I think introducing Ramsey through Caitlin means no or little GCPD set this season. 

35 minutes ago, BeautifulFlower said:

But this time Candice was excited as well. In the past, she was always telling people that she was HOPING they would do something with Iris journalism. It sounds like s6 is finally THAT season.

Eh, we'll see.  

I haven't gone through all the interviews and coverage yet, but I like most of what I've heard about Season 6. One thing I don't like is that it seems almost* everyone is getting a new story, but Cisco is getting reverted back his Season 1 self; and that just seems like a huge insult to me. Yes, everyone loved "I make the toys" Cisco, but he's grown since then. I mostly blame Todd for this.

*(I don't think anything was mentioned about Joe and Cecile)

5 hours ago, Trini said:

I like the sound of this:

I like that there is more than one Big Bad. I wonder if the Reverse Flash is one or if he just appears for the Crisis.

Regardless, the constant bad writing and poor storytelling has made me so cynical that I am not getting my hopes up. I, especially, don't like another version of Wells, but I think this might be popular with younger viewers.

• Love 2

So Sendhil is only in the first half? Damn. The first time they have a hot lickable villain and he isn't around for the whole season.

Candice does seem enthusiastic about the upcoming season.

Tom Cavanagh is playing yet another role, Pariah.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1