Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Judge's Chambers

• Start Topic

(edited)

Exactly right, from my understanding of bail, and bail bond.    Also, there was a reason that everyone but Dog was a bondsperson in his family, no convicted felons can be bondspersons.  

With some bonds, the accused's bond must all be secured with cash and property for the full amount, so the bond company can take it to cover their loses if you run for it.   Remember too, that some places it's a year or two until you go to trial, so the bondsperson is holding that money in case you don't show up for a long time.  

I know someone from Hawaii, and he lives in a lovely area.    Some evenings when they were still filming the Bounty Hunter show, they would sit out on the front lanai, and watch the convoy of black SUVs with Dog, the bounty pack, and the film crews drive by. on their way from the office to the bad areas they hunted people in.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Exactly right, from my understanding of bail, and bail bond.    Also, there was a reason that everyone but Dog was a bondsperson in his family, no convicted felons can be bondspersons.  

Yeah, Beth was the bondsman, then his kids opened up their own places (well, some of them did).

• Love 3
20 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I'm confused.

The bail dude has already paid the full bail.  It's being held by the court.

If the accused doesn't show for court the full stated bail is now forfeited to the court.  

It's gone.  Bail guy already has 10%, but now has to recoup the full amount.  He has to take the collateral and  repay himself.  

22 hours ago, Byrd is the Word said:

That's why "Dog the Bounty Hunter was a popular show for a while.  Lots of money at stake

Correct.  Bail dude WAS gonna make that 10% profit.  When accused skips he's not only lost the 10%, now he has the brain damage of chasing the collateral.

I swear, being a lowlife seems more confusing and much harder than just GOING TO WORK.

• Love 9
On 6/29/2019 at 10:54 AM, zillabreeze said:

I swear, being a lowlife seems more confusing and much harder than just GOING TO WORK.

It is. I just went to work, paid my taxes, paid my rent and got car insurance (without "working up to it"). That's so much simpler than slithering around to every social assistance program, putting my utilities, phone, etc under someone else's name, squatting and going to housing court every time I stiff a landlord, using pawn shops as banks, and popping out babies with deadbeats I found on CL. All that sounds so exhausting. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

😠😠😠 just noticed that my local NBC channel, and JJ provider,  and Directv have decided to get in a pissing match. Hope this kerfuffle doesn't last as long as the CBS/Directv kerfuffle of a couple years ago - lost a whole season. Guess for next little while only JJ viewing I'll be doing will be when I can get it to come in on my indoor antenna - no guarantee I can receive the signal as it's broadcast at the limit of my antenna's range. 

Good new is that the channel for Hot Bench and TPC is still on Directv - even though owned by same company.

4 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

They ALWAYS do that - butt in with hysterical weather reports, a news event or anything that can't possibly wait for the actual news hour - and time them so they cut out only JJ and only the new eps. 

Maybe I don't understand the TeeVee biz at all.  It would seem that with HRH being paid a bajillion $, her show is very expensive.  Therefore, the ratings must justify her cost.  So, why do you constantly interrupt your cash cow?

• Love 3
6 hours ago, SRTouch said:

😠😠😠 just noticed that my local NBC channel, and JJ provider,  and Directv have decided to get in a pissing match. Hope this kerfuffle doesn't last as long as the CBS/Directv kerfuffle of a couple years ago - lost a whole season. Guess for next little while only JJ viewing I'll be doing will be when I can get it to come in on my indoor antenna - no guarantee I can receive the signal as it's broadcast at the limit of my antenna's range. 

Good new is that the channel for Hot Bench and TPC is still on Directv - even though owned by same company.

I've been through that with Dish, too.  For $100/mo it's an asshole move!!!!

Just started studying how to cut the cord.  So ready!!!

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, zillabreeze said:

Maybe I don't understand the TeeVee biz at all.  It would seem that with HRH being paid a bajillion $, her show is very expensive.  Therefore, the ratings must justify her cost.  So, why do you constantly interrupt your cash cow?

The morning news is 75% weather.  Most of us know what the weather is or will be by either looking out the window or checking our phones. But clearly there is a huge segment of the TV viewing public that tunes in just to watch the weatherman/woman. Weather news is another cash cow, especially when they can freighten people with the latest weather calamity. Climate change has been the greatest boon to television news since the advent of color.

Edited by Byrd is the Word
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, Byrd is the Word said:

The morning news is 75% weather.  Most of us know what the weather is or will be by either looking out the window or checking our phones. But clearly there is a huge segment of the TV viewing public that tunes in just to watch the weatherman/woman. Weather news is another cash cow, especially when they can freighten people with the latest weather calamity. Climate change has been the greatest boon to television news since the advent of color.

The weather report is the only part of the news I watch.  When we have bad weather, it can be VERY bad weather.  The only time I've been frightened by the weather report is when the weatherman started screaming about grapefruit-size hail.  I lost it. 

When they pre-empt JJ they usually have a good reason to do so, usually a storm or tornado warning.  But generally its just a 1 minute heads up for the real news coming on in a half hour.

• Love 3
On 7/4/2019 at 11:21 AM, Byrd is the Word said:

Most of us know what the weather is or will be by either looking out the window or checking our phones. But clearly there is a huge segment of the TV viewing public that tunes in just to watch the weatherman/woman. Weather news is another cash cow, especially when they can freighten people with the latest weather calamity. Climate change has been the greatest boon to television news since the advent of color.

Lol this is so true, one of our local weathermen is such a douche when he is on, he is mister doom and gloom when it's going to be good or normal weather, but if there is even a slight chance of some sort of extreme weather he is practically gleeful while reporting it. It's gotten so I only watch the 24 hour forecast, on mute and then ignore the rest. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, GoodieGirl said:

Lol this is so true, one of our local weathermen is such a douche when he is on, he is mister doom and gloom when it's going to be good or normal weather, but if there is even a slight chance of some sort of extreme weather he is practically gleeful while reporting it. It's gotten so I only watch the 24 hour forecast, on mute and then ignore the rest. 

I've noticed that too!  I truly believe that they LOVE bad weather; it isn't boring! Even their language reveals their passion; they refer to a 'chance of a storm' or 'good possibility of large hail'.  It cracks me up!

• Love 2

@Brattinella our guy practically starts singing! "Look out, it's gonna snooooooooow on Friday! or "Wear your gulashes, you're gonna be swimmmmmmin'!!"

When it's boring weather he always has to put a negative spin on it "Sun's gonna shine, but the pollen is gonna be bad so stay indoors if you can!"  "There won't be snow this week, but you better batten down the hatches for next week!"

God forbid you just allow us to be happy that the weather is good or at least not horrible. 

• Love 5

Living near New York City as I do, it's funny to get out into the provinces and watch how smaller-market tv stations deal with weather. I was in Portland, ME last week and was startled to see the weather report at the top of the broadcast on two days when California had the largest earthquakes in a jillion years. And it wasn't bad or unusual weather -- just the usual summer stuff -- boy it's hot, there's a chance of a thunderstorm tomorrow, etc. 

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Byrd is the Word said:

The truth of it is that they’re in the business of frightening people and bad weather is good for business   

I don't see how that could be, unless the network owns a piece of multiple tornado shelter companies.

• Love 1

It gets people to tune in, @Brattinella, and more ads can run and all that jazz. It's like the opening of Capone's vault that was so hyped when Geraldo was opening it on live TV, people tuned in, even though there was really nothing to see. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, GoodieGirl said:

It gets people to tune in, @Brattinella, and more ads can run and all that jazz. It's like the opening of Capone's vault that was so hyped when Geraldo was opening it on live TV, people tuned in, even though there was really nothing to see. 

C'mon now....there were some bottles.  And dirt.  And Geraldo doing his song and dance since they found nothing.....  🤣

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I don't see how that could be, unless the network owns a piece of multiple tornado shelter companies.

They sell advertising based on ratings. Ratings are based on viewers. Bad weather attracts viewers as frightened people watch more tv news. Maybe not you or me, but you can’t argue with the data.

PS, add mass shootings to that list. The old TV news adage “If it bleeds, it leads” is as true today as ever. Sadly. 

• Love 6

I understand your point.  It is the ads, and their revenue.  In my case, I only watch local news, and only the few minutes of the weatherman.  I mute or FF all commercials.  TV networks are pretty much the devil IMO.  Unfortunately JJ is an NBC affiliate, and I have about run out of patience. (both her and the network).  One of these days I will cut the cord completely.  (I'll still have NOAA and NWS)

• Love 3

I was on a trip to New Orleans.  The night we arrived there was a heavy storm, rain, strong winds, etc. We still walked to dinner - four hungry women in an exciting new town.  The next morning the Weather Channel was depicting Armageddon.  After some delays we went out and walked toward the river.  We saw the TWC reporter holding onto a brick structure and leaning back, pretending the wind was pushing him back.  My friends and I were on TV for a few seconds.  We walked up behind him carrying our coffee, dressed casually, not even using our umbrellas.     

The problem with the news aggrandizing these events is people stopped believing them, so they don't leave when they should.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)

I still remember the weather report of some disaster with the reporter sitting in a canoe on a city street, supposedly in deep flooding.    Then a couple of men walked behind him in maybe foot deep water at the most.    It was hysterical.  

During Hurricane Florence, a certain well known Weather Channel broadcaster was doing the lean into the wind, fighting with the elements routine, when some people walked behind him.    The pedestrians were just walking along, no wind, no fighting the elements.   I haven't seen the broadcaster since, and I don't think they send him on location anymore.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)

The right of tenants on some of these shows stun me.    I would never be a landlord, and for exactly that reason.    

There was a case, either on JJ, or People's Court the other day, with a rookie landlord.   She was paying two separate tenants $10k each to move out so she could rehab the building, and the current month-by-month tenants were fighting eviction.    Texas, California, and New York seem to have the most ludicrous pro-tenant rules.    

The couple on yesterday's show were old hands at tenant scams.     The wife seemed to think that if you make a police report about something, that means it happened.    All it means is you claim something happened.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Texas, California, and New York seem to have the most ludicrous pro-tenant rules.    

I live in Texas.  Had a really nice co-worker that got together with a buddy to buy a moderately priced house to rent out.  The very first renters paid the  security, first and last.  That was it. 

It took a solid year to get them out and then the place was demolished.  They were so insensed that they were evicted that they smashed the fixtures, spray painted walls, clogged the drains and poured bleach all over the lawn.

Slumplording is not for me, I'd end up in jail for going BSC on some tenant.

• Love 4
(edited)

I mentioned a trip to a restaurant covered by Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives that made me stop watching the show, because the experience was just that bad.  According to Yelp and other review sites, nothing has changed.  Which leads me to wonder how they can stay open, and garner a crap-ton of 4 and 5 star reviews.  Unless it's one of those things where people just act like they like it because it's hip and trendy, or they **think** it's how a classy establishment is supposed to be.  This place is consistently in city magazines as a best place to eat, and I just don't get it.

Their rules are oppressive, and they should really list them outside the door, or before you're seated.  That way, you can bypass the place, because if you're seated and get up and leave (for any reason), you will get attitude about it.

The menu is very limited.  They say that's because everything is fresh, farm to table, and made to order.  Wrong.  Don't dare ask for any substitutions.  I get that they're a pain, so I somewhat understand, but this goes beyond any good reason.  They make a dish they're somewhat renowned for.  It has bacon.  Many people, for dietary reasons, don't want bacon.  Don't dare ask for no bacon.  It won't happen.  The excuse?  It's already mixed in.  Then that means it's prepared ahead, and not fresh.  The funny thing is they make the same stuff, but plain, on their menu, but it's a different dish.  Don't ask for a sub.  They won't do it.  They tell you they simply can't.  What they will do is say they'll try to accommodate you if the chef is willing, but they'll put everything on the bill ala carte, and your dish that is normally already overpiced at $10 now becomes $25.  There's a review from someone who told them that he cannot eat Bacon for religious reasons.  They gave him the spiel then did the ala carte thing.  About halfway through his food, he sees it has bacon anyway.  He called the server over.  She just shrugged her shoulders.  No refund.  No offer of anything else.  No apologies.

They brag about wholesome food, and organics, vegetarian stuff, etc.  They don't serve much that is vegeterian (I'm not veggie, but I noticed the menu had pretty much nothing).  I don't know that they have anything vegan whatsoever.  For all the healthiness, the servers stand outside by their garden where they supposedly grow their own veggies, and smoke.  The servers are hipster to the nth degree.  They love to lecture you (and they will).

The place is tiny, and you get packed in like sardines.  Don't dare ask for a high chair.  Don't dare bring a stroller in.  While I get that they can be a pain in a crowded restaurant, this place is in an area that is very famliy friendly, so they tick off a huge segment of their area.  Several people wrote that they came in with kids, and once they ordered, they were told to send the kids outside to play before they became disruptive.  I don't like rowdy kids in a restaurant either, but until they start beahving badly, leave them be.  And don't dare go to the restroom without asking permission first.  Yep.  You read that right.

It's in a residential area.  We accidentally parked with about 2 inches of our back bumper sticking in to someone's driveway.  Plenty of room for even a big car to get out - this was really a non-event.  The person living there stormed in and yelled at us in front of a room full of people.  Horribly embarrassing.  The servers made comments about us, apparently thinking we couldn't hear.

Be prepared to spend at least $50 for 2 people.  Even just breakfast.  Oatmeal is like $7-8 per bowl.  Sodas are $5.  You get about one can's worth.  No free refills - don't ask.  We then switched to water.  We got what wasn't much more than a shot glass full.  Again, no refills, or they'll charge you for them.

My husband wanted tuna salad.  They said "with swiss".  He doesn't like swiss. Asked for it without. They said no.  I told him just to get it, and pull it off the sandwich.  They said "it's mixed in with the tuna".  Who mixes in cheese with tuna salad???  The people next to us didn't want some fruit syrup on their waffles.  They came out plain.  They asked for maple syrup.  They were charged $4 for what was a ludicrously tiny amount.  Don't tell them you want to split something.  They'll cut the portions in half, but charge you double for plating them on separate plates.

Don't undertip.  The servers will just add what they feel entitled to.  There are many reviews out there about how someone added money to their bill.  Don't dare ask them to split a check - they won't do it.  Ever.  They agreed to it with a table near ours, but split the order 50/50 between 2 cards.  One person paid for half of several other people's meal.  It's just ludicrous.

I really expected to see the place had closed, but it's alive and well.  I still don't get it.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 1

I get JJ on CBS, as of this weekend I don't have access to CBS or KCAL both channels that carry my queen. Shouldn't our cable providers give us some sort of discount when they have these pissing matches? 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, PopTart16 said:

Shouldn't our cable providers give us some sort of discount when they have these pissing matches?  

Not if you say nothing. I've called my provider more than once to complain about the price, for whatever reason. They are quite willing to negotiate, but if you don't squawk, you'll get nothing. 

Not long ago they were charging me 75$ for a service I needed due to their incompetence. No amount of arguing with the reps worked, so I went to the website and sent a letter to the person in charge of customer service and said politely that if I did not get that 75$ refunded I was prepared to cancel all my services - internet, TV, and phone. It was the principle, y'know.  She replied within a half hour and I got a refund and an apology for being treated so shabbily. 

• Love 6
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Hagosaurus said:

Damn DircTV has shut off CBS because of contract negotiations. Does anyone know where I can see new JJ episodes daily while they hash their shit out? I don't have an antenna.

CBS has a steaming app called CBS All Access. There is live TV, CBS programs like 60 Minutes on demand and a collection of movies. I believe they charge $5.99/ month and you can demo it for free for a week. Maybe by the end of the week the two entertainment giants will declare who piss stream travels the furthest. F’ing hate when customers like us get shot through the grease over stuff like this. Assholes one and all.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, PopTart16 said:

I get JJ on CBS, as of this weekend I don't have access to CBS or KCAL both channels that carry my queen. Shouldn't our cable providers give us some sort of discount when they have these pissing matches? 

In the same boat here, though my JJ is on my local NBC station. DIRECTV shut them off on July 4th and still not on 😠

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I have purchased household items from CL (furniture, etc), but would never buy electronics or cars.  No how, no way.

And NEVER would I let someone from Craigslist know where I live.  Meet them somewhere else.  The only reason that car scammer was able to steal the car back from the defendant was because he knew where it was.

The idea of finding someone to LIVE in my home WITH ME from Craigslist is just unbelievable.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, AZChristian said:

And NEVER would I let someone from Craigslist know where I live.  Meet them somewhere else.  The only reason that car scammer was able to steal the car back from the defendant was because he knew where it was.

The idea of finding someone to LIVE in my home WITH ME from Craigslist is just unbelievable.

Yep.  I always meet at CVS, McDonald's - somewhere there is lots of security cameras.  Police are also helpful for that kind of thing in our area.

• Love 4
(edited)
15 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I have purchased household items from CL (furniture, etc), but would never buy electronics or cars.  No how, no way.

I had 5,000 square feet of office furniture to sell a few years ago. The brokers wanted no part of any of it so I offered it for sale on CL. Nothing. Finally I offered it for free and it was like a bomb went off. Everyone wanted in on the give away. People had a million questions about condition, when and when we bought it etc. They asked for all sorts of pictures beyond the 25 or so that were already on the listing. Some people were demanding to to point of offensive. Understand, this stuff was free. In the end I gave it to the people who were the most friendly and polite. This spring I sold a motorcycle. The first few days I was inundated with scammers posing as interested parties. Some have fake phone numbers appearing to be local. Most do not. In the end I demanded cash and we met in a mall park lot during business hours and underneath a security camera. Like a sewer, Craigslist has its purpose but it’s still smells like death’s dumpster.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Byrd is the Word said:

I had 5,000 square feet of office furniture to sell a few years ago. The brokers wanted no part of any of it so I offered it for sale on CL. Nothing. Finally I offered it for free and it was like a bomb went off. Everyone wanted in on the give away. People had a million questions about condition, when and when we bought it etc. They asked for all sorts of pictures beyond the 25 or so that were already on the listing. Some people were demanding to to point of offensive. Understand, this stuff was free. In the end I gave it to the people who were the most friendly and polite. This spring I sold a motorcycle. The first few days I was inundated with scammers posing as interested parties. Some have fake phone numbers appearing to be local. Most do not. In the end I demanded cash and we met in a mall park lot during business hours and underneath a security camera. Like a sewer, Craigslist has its purpose but it’s still smells like death’s dumpster.

I gave away furniture on FB.  Someone PM'd me and convinced me to give it to her over the person who responded because she had a desperate friend.  When that person blew me off,  I told the lady on the PM it was hers.  The ad carefully outlined the issues with the furniture (I have cats, the couch had a small rip and sagged a little, and the chair had a slightly loose arm that was easily fixable).  I said good for a cabin, or someone who really needed furniture.  She swore it was no issue.  Her son-in-laws showed up to get it.  Drug it down my deck and manhandled it in to a pick-up.  They had other furniture when they came to get mine.  She PM'd me, wishing me bad karma.  No further explanation.  I asked what happened.  Nothing.  I told her if she was so unhappy, have her son-in-laws come back and put it in the dumpster where we live (we can do that).  Crickets.  My recliner from my new furniture was damaged, so I offered her gas money to return it.  Again, crickets.  Last time I offered any furniture to anyone.  We figured she was a flipper, and couldn't make enough money off of my stuff.  Whatever.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I gave away furniture on FB.  Someone PM'd me and convinced me to give it to her over the person who responded because she had a desperate friend.  When that person blew me off,  I told the lady on the PM it was hers.  The ad carefully outlined the issues with the furniture (I have cats, the couch had a small rip and sagged a little, and the chair had a slightly loose arm that was easily fixable).  I said good for a cabin, or someone who really needed furniture.  She swore it was no issue.  Her son-in-laws showed up to get it.  Drug it down my deck and manhandled it in to a pick-up.  They had other furniture when they came to get mine.  She PM'd me, wishing me bad karma.  No further explanation.  I asked what happened.  Nothing.  I told her if she was so unhappy, have her son-in-laws come back and put it in the dumpster where we live (we can do that).  Crickets.  My recliner from my new furniture was damaged, so I offered her gas money to return it.  Again, crickets.  Last time I offered any furniture to anyone.  We figured she was a flipper, and couldn't make enough money off of my stuff.  Whatever.

We should thank our maker that we don't live that life and move on and away from that behavior.  The quicker the better.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

All you really need for that is an antenna. Mine picks up 50 stations.

Yeppers. Problem I have is the distance. Both my CBS and NBC affiliates broadcast from over 60 miles away. My indoor antenna can reliably pull in around 7 stations - ABC, FOX, BOUNCE, GRIT, PBS and a couple religious stations - all broadcast from around 40 miles away. But all my court tv channels are iffy at best. If I ever "cut the cord" I'll need at least a 70+ mile antenna (probably outdoor - I don't imagine it helps that I have metal siding) - not to mention the need to invest in different recording/dvr boxes for my three tv's since I seldom watch live tv.

Doesn't help that our only local cable provider doesn't service our park, so no cable available. Nope to streaming, also, since I have a 10 gig data cap.

17 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

see what channels you may be able to get:

Thanks for the link. I tried it for my house and had fun. I gave it my exact street address (which google earth has no trouble finding) and it told me that it was unable to resolve my address precisely. Nevertheless, it showed me a bunch of stations I might be able to get, many of them south of my address. Oddly enough, I live about 300 yards north of the Gulf of Mexico, which puts those stations out in the water. I suspect the site works better in more developed areas. I will also note that now and then the weather channel radar maps show that the town I live in is located about 40 miles out in the Gulf. I love easy access to info, some more reliable than others 😁.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I have a very small antenna on my roof - total cost of item and installation 178$.

If you decide you might do that, you can go here to see what channels you may be able to get:

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Thanks. Pretty much jibes with my experience. I get the channels the link shows in green, while the yellow are the ones I sometimes get. Only real difference between this one and the one used before are the distances are a few miles different, and my link shows more about what the channel is - if bounce, grit, escape, etc

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, DoctorK said:

I suspect the site works better in more developed areas.

Probably. It found my exact address and I actually get more channels than shown, although of course what it shows is just a rough estimate without taking into consideration a bunch of other factors.

So I originally entered my antenna's real height, which is approx. 30ft, then just did it at 10ft. Big difference in the channels available - probably 1/3 fewer at that lower height.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 4
On 7/23/2019 at 10:27 AM, funky-rat said:

I hear ya @funky-rat, I was selling my house earlier this year and had a some furniture that my daughters didn't want but was still in good condition. I listed the age of the items as well as any damage (I have cats, they have claws), and I posted pics so they could see the issues (nothing an upholsterer or crafty person couldn't fix). Imagine my surprise, and annoyance, when the couple that wanted the couch and chair showed up and kind of hummed and hawed saying they didn't realize it was going to be "that" damaged. It's 25 years old, wth?? In the end they took it but then messaged me saying they going to give me a bad rating. Whatever.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, GoodieGirl said:

In the end they took it but then messaged me saying they going to give me a bad rating. Whatever.

I never sell anything on FB or Kijiji (sold one item on CL with no problems) or any other sites for this reason. If I have something I don't want, I put it at the end of the driveway so anyone who wants it can take it, for free. I only put things there that are actually usable (or have value because they are aluminum, etc) and this has worked just fine. Whatever anyone takes, they can't bitch about it later. If no one wants this stuff, it gets picked up by the town on our "Large item pickup" day.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I never sell anything on FB or Kijiji (sold one item on CL with no problems) or any other sites for this reason. If I have something I don't want, I put it at the end of the driveway so anyone who wants it can take it, for free. I only put things there that are actually usable (or have value because they are aluminum, etc) and this has worked just fine. Whatever anyone takes, they can't bitch about it later. If no one wants this stuff, it gets picked up by the town on our "Large item pickup" day.

I would have given both to a man I know who strips the metal out of furniture, then burns the rest (he lives on a farm), but this woman gave me a sob story about a friend who lost everything, and I fell for it.  I didn't charge this woman a dime for the furniture - it was free, because of a few small issues.  She STILL bitched.

• Love 3

Situations like that are the reason that I call either the Habitat for Humanity Restore, or the local homeless mission thrift shop to donate furniture, or other things.   They pick it up, no drama, no bargaining, and it goes to support causes I support.    

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Situations like that are the reason that I call either the Habitat for Humanity Restore, or the local homeless mission thrift shop to donate furniture, or other things.   They pick it up, no drama, no bargaining, and it goes to support causes I support.    

They no longer accept furniture in our area.  One says it's because of smoking and pet hair, and they don't want to be responsible for people with allergies, and another one references bed bugs (the local high-rise for the people on social security - where my uncle lives - is always having bed bug outbreaks).

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I didn't charge this woman a dime for the furniture - it was free, because of a few small issues.  She STILL bitched.

I am left speechless. My mother always told us, "Beggars can't be choosers."

22 hours ago, GoodieGirl said:

I told her if she was so unhappy, have her son-in-laws come back and put it in the dumpster where we live (we can do that).

You're nicer than I am. She took it - it's now her problem, so bugger off. She sounds just like an entitled JJ litigant, thinking strangers should look out for her interests. Truly amazing. 🤬

3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They pick it up, no drama, no bargaining, and it goes to support causes I support.   

At least that way anyone who ends up with it can't bitch to you that it doesn't meet their lofty standards. 

I was always happy to get anything given to me when I was poor and living alone. When I met my husband and we got our second house, we decided to get rid of a table and chairs I had bought - second hand - for my apartment. My husband offered it to his elder daughter, who was lazy, on welfare and a kind of scammer. I overheard her saying she didn't want it - it was "junk."  I only contained my fury (no, I wasn't going to "tussle" with her) because of my husband. Maybe it wasn't the best or most stylish furniture, but unlike her, I worked very hard to buy that, while she, to this day, sits on her duff and complains that no one will help her. I said nothing to her but told my husband, "That's it. Not a nickel or a dime or a cup or plate for her - ever."

• Love 7