Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Raja

Unsung

On 3/21/2019 at 6:42 PM, Enero said:

This. So sad after all these years they ended up on opposite sides and thus estranged over an attempted comeback that led to a disagreement over what they should be today, how they could be relevant, which ultimately led to a lawsuit over who could use the name. SMH. What I don’t think some of them got was that they’d never be as relevant as they were in the 80s during their peak. The most they could hope for is getting gigs (hopefully that paid fairly descent) at C and D venues singing their old hits. This is JMO of course. 

That said, it was once again refreshing to see an artist/group profiled who weren’t destroyed by the vices of fame ala DeBarge. It sounded as if they were pretty clean cut.

Hearing the songs they sang again after this many years (I was a kid when they were in their prime) made me so nostalgic. Sigh.  They really did have some great hits. 

The Jets sort of reminds of of the all for one song writing credits of the Ohio Players but at the end on the county fair circuit there are two groups fighting over the name. Not much different than many an Unsung alumni group. And they don't even have song writing credits to fall back on

On 3/21/2019 at 9:42 PM, Enero said:

What I don’t think some of them got was that they’d never be as relevant as they were in the 80s during their peak. The most they could hope for is getting gigs (hopefully that paid fairly descent) at C and D venues singing their old hits. This is JMO of course. 

I just watched this episode.  I think your point is spot on.  They will never be what they were in the 80's but there are a lot of people who loved and miss that type of music. 

I was in my early 20's when The Jets were popular.  There are a lot of people alive today who remember them and who have the money to pay to see them.  I recently went to a show at the Beacon Theater in NYC to a Valentine's Day 70's soul group show and that place was packed.  The Beacon isn't Madison Square Garden, but it's nothing to sneeze at either.  

• Like 3

One thing to consider about The Jets though is that they were a child group. At best audiences had a crush on them without any lust attached to the appeal during their run. Compared to the O'Jays episode when a younger replacement O'Jay on the oldies tour describes audience members still throwing panties on stage

If I am remembering the Frankie Knuckles AND House Music episode correctly they pretty much skipped over Crystal Waters. Where as most of the disco acts featured were also on the Disco episode.

That Omar was a choreographer dancer for her was the biggest surprise 

Edited by Raja
  • Like 2

Tasha Cobb Leonard unsung? Her career is still in the climbing stage where Gospel artist tend to have a longer hit making time frame than the secular artist three hot years and done career path. They have added more Gospel artist in the last couple of years, so I that she was  a willing participant to film in time for the Resurrection Day marathon of the Unsung Gospel artist.

I just wish they would scrap the Cosby reruns and air more Unsung reruns instead. More specifically, reruns from the early seasons - especially the two hour disco special. I wonder why they don't air nearly as many reruns as they used to - music licensing issues, maybe?

• Like 1