Type keyword(s) to search

Professor Captain Arm Candy (USMC-Ret): Tim Daly

kwnyc
  • Start Topic

On ‎08‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 9:28 PM, andromeda331 said:

If they'd keep Henry in just the fields he would know he would make more sense and be less annoying. But the way they write Henry so that he knows everything about everything. Everything is his field. He's the only one who can do everything, figure out everything and always be right, when he's wrong as you pointed out its never his fault. Look at him even after being shot and on crutches he foils a bombing. Its ridiculous. I know I really need to let this part go but what bugs me most about Henry is if the roles were reversed and he was the Secretary of State, his wife would never do any of the stuff he did. She'd be taking care of the kids and house. She wouldn't be trying to take down terrorists, be a handler, or any of the stuff Henry does. 

Yeah, that is the "that is frustrating me" part.

The "that's bothering me" part is that they're so inconsistent with Henry. I've been rewatching some S3 and realized that what is bothering me this season is that he's so present in the WH/way too involved with the government. They're doing so much stuff with him that is more unrealistic than anything that Bess is doing (can anything that concerns the government be considered unrealistic anymore anyway? ) and in addition, he's all over the place, doing something different each season and now he's dealing with all the people in the government, too. In S3, at least, he was working at the FBI, with Jose, more or less separate from the stuff Bess was doing. Now, that separation is gone, too. I'm so, so tired of whatever it is that is. Yeah, he's a guy? So what. He was a great husband, father and theology professor and yes, even as a consultant, great, I can live with it. It falls into his expertise. But please, keep him out of the WH, away from the Gang of Eight, and out of Bess' way. And while they're at it, they can stop with his rightousness, too, please. Having a moral compass is one thing but rightous is a whole different one and it's annoying.

• Love 1

Well, that could actually be funny. More so than what they're currently doing with him anyway. Not that I want a comedy or anything, just saying. ;-)

But while being good at everything makes Henry annoying, that he's all over the place also means that he has no chance to grow as a character and his character cannot go anywhere because they're not giving him a consistent story. It's like they think they have to give him all this action but they don't really know what to do with him/don't have a plan laid out and they're just pulling something out of thin air each year. They're trying way too hard to hard with him, I think.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Early season one Henry was definitely qualified to be chair of the new Ethics Department, but Henry the Handler of Dmitri? Not so much.

I think he is. He made mistakes as a handler but I don't think the mistakes were in handling Dmitri. He made promises he shouldn't have made as a handler like keeping Dmitri safe, and he was unable to put his personal feelings aside which I think you have to as a handler. He was unaware and unwilling to admit that he was unfit for the job and while it made him unsympathetic to me, he is human.

I actually think the biggest mistake made whoever made the decision to use Henry as a handler because they were putting a completely unqualified individual in charge of another human life.

That said, I think he was/is consistent in his ethics and I also think that the experience with Dmitri makes him better qualified. Maybe it wouldn't make that much of a difference if he were still teaching at Georgetown but he's at a war college and I think officers of the military need to be very aware of the decisions of Greater Good vs individual harm (as Conrad put it) and they also need to be very aware that they'll have to put their personal feelings aside in certain situations and that it won't be easy. And I believe that Henry can now ask even more questions which will poke at students' conscience than before because of his personal experience.

• Love 1