Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Coda

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Father Gabriel's temporary escape from church to visit the local school went bad (surprise!), so he came scampering back to the church like a closet hedonist returning from a Vegas bachelor party.

I really like the use of the word "Scampering" to describe Fr. PP's actions.

• Love 3

Although I don't agree with the writer's take on Beth and Sasha, the rest of this article about Coda is very true IMHO.

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-walking-dead/community/post/the-walking-dead-season-5-episode-8-coda-review-141695296982/

There were some interesting comments on whether Maggie is a horrible sister.  While defending Maggie, a poster pointed out that Beth never spoke of Maggie either.  Someone countered that Maggie was never missing.  But then it was pointed out that Beth had no idea what happened to Maggie.  Carol wouldn't have known about Maggie and Glenn going with Abraham, and Beth didn't seem concerned that Maggie didn't come to pick her up.  Valid point.  Beth seemed more concerned with new friend Noah, than where her sister and brother-in-law were. 

And how interesting that this site still has a prominent picture of the governor.  The writer must have been a big fan.

• Love 5

Very very early after the prison fell....

•    Beth has a line to Daryl about finding the others and says Maggie could still be alive she could have made it
  •    Maggie has a line to Bob and Sasha I don't know where Beth is but I know where Glenn is (thinking he was on the bus)

I guess TPTB considered that to be sufficient evidence of the sisters caring about each other; well for at least the next 7 or 8 episodes.

• Love 5

Honestly, I'm a bit more upset about Glenn and Maggie deciding to leave the group.

I know they're back with the group, but I expected more difficulty for them to leave people they knew were alive (unlike Beth) not to mention the people they'd been with since the beginning. I really felt it was less about pacifying Abraham and more about separating from the way Rick had handled things.

Rick watched them leave very casually---except he was nervously clenching and unclenching his hand so I think that was to convey some tension or hurt. I wonder if--- when the show picks up after the escape from the hospital---Maggie and Glenn's "defection" will be addressed or skipped over.

BTW: I never bought the bit about them all meeting up somewhere on the road to DC. I think they said it like people say when they've moved, or switched to another job, or something "hey we'll get together sometime, it's not good-bye, I'll write/give you a call sometime" when you both know that will never happen.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 8

I really felt it was less about pacifying Abraham and more about separating from the way Rick had handled things.

Considering Maggie's "eww" face and Glenn's stunned reaction to the (well deserved) slaughter in the church, I agree.  I think they believe they will never be reduced to such savagery and wanted to distance themselves from it.

• Love 2

Dang it.  My DVR cut off before the Morgan scene.  I take it he's getting close?  Geez, I hope he joins the group and doesn't turn out to be the next big bad guy.

I understand the criticism of this episode.  As a mid season finale it doesn't compare to past ones.  I also wasn't too invested in Beth.  Sure, she was cute and was finally getting something meaty (heh, no pun) to do, but I thought her going after Dawn was a typically dumbass thing to do.  If they had walked away she might have been able to convince Rick to try another way to free Noah, but no, she had to act impetuously and risk getting her friends killed too.

Speaking of dumbasses, Gabriel.  The hell?  I was yelling at Carl and Michonne to leave him outside the church.

Oh, Eugene.  (Who didn't see that he was faking it?)  

Story arcs like the hospital or all the time spent in Woodbury may make fans impatient, but how long can the writers have the characters wandering around in the woods, cutting off zombie heads?  The overall story needs breaks from that or it would get really boring really quickly.  I don't mind sidetracks as long as they give the characters something interesting to do.  And like I said earlier, it's not so annoying when binge watching episodes and you can get through a whole story arc in a day or two.

Ok, honestly.  It's been how many years and they are still driving distance to Atlanta?  Rick or whoever better come up with a plan of what they are going to do and where they are going to go, especially now that DC is off the table.

Can't wait to start watching live with you all in a few weeks!

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 3

Story arcs like the hospital or all the time spent in Woodbury may make fans impatient, but how long can the writers have the characters wandering around in the woods, cutting off zombie heads?

I agree and I liked the Woodbury arc. I enjoyed the break from the utter bleakness of the prison. It was nice seeing people sleep in real beds in rooms that weren't decorated with zombie guts and brains smeared on the walls.  It also had a point, which was to drive our people out of their safe place and back into new adventures and dangers.

The long, tedious hospital stint seemed to exist only to kill Beth, and that could have been done in any number of ways without taking forever to get there. I could have lived without lollipops, strawberry bribes, facial stitches and all the other inconsequential shit someone felt we needed in order to understand that those cops are Sadistic Bullies. Oh, and the guinea pig taste testing. Yeah, could have skipped that myself.

• Love 5

What IS it about American TV that's so puritanical yet violent?

You hammered THAT nail, dead on, my friend: the Puritan roots run deep here in the U.S., and in a Puritan ethos, violence is de rigeur (Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God, anyone?), but scatological or prurient cursing is naughty, naughty, naughty. I'm pushing 60 and female, and in my world a perfectly-placed swear word is like the finishing touch to a verbal masterpiece. When used indiscriminately, the word "fuck" becomes background noise and makes the speaker sound like an idiot. But a show like TWD could use it judiciously, just the way they use the word "shit." It's not called salty language for nothing: none at all is bland, too much is repellant, just a sprinkle makes everything tastier.

• Love 7

Well, you may have not seen all the complaints in the UK over the US show "The 40 Year Old Virgin", a documentary about sex surrogacy, when it aired in the UK. Lately, there has been way too much fuss about a UK "celeb" going on a morning TV show with a low-cut outfit displaying her cleavage.

I don't think Dexter, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, etc were too puritanical. But what the fuckety-fuck fuck would I know.

1c368430e6203ef9608376391ff07181.jpg      richardson-o.gif

(Just having fun :-D)

Edited by kikismom

Although I don't agree with the writer's take on Beth and Sasha, the rest of this article about Coda is very true IMHO.

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-walking-dead/community/post/the-walking-dead-season-5-episode-8-coda-review-141695296982/

I have trouble taking anyone who describes Beth as "all about survival" seriously. The author has a point about the confusing and inconsistent Grady plot, but she spends so much of the article trotting out the tired "Beth had so much story left to tell and I'm sad--no I'm upset" trope that it winds up being way longer than it should be.

• Love 2

Taking a chance bringing up an old point and conversation I could have read through to find out.......

What exactly was Beth going for by stabbing Lerner in the shoulder???  Was she trying to slit her throat and missed by a few thousand inches, went to do it and changed her mind mid-motion to stabbing non-fatally, or just wtf was she she doing?!  If she wasn't going for the kill, how in the F did she think that would be a thing to do when you've got a bunch of loaded and cocked guns on both sides??!!  Like pointed out above, other than giving the show writers and runners an "easy out" to offing the character, that whole sequence just made a ton of nonsense.  And really, Beth?  You make all these statements about 'not crying anymore' and all that jazz about understanding what shit life is for her and them now, but she won't take the out given and makes a fuss over one guy she only knew because of horrible circumstances!?  I don't fear seeing what the the living can do in this show - I fear the stupidity on display.

And while I don't agree with the people that didn't leave with Rick and his group, when he gave them the choice... kinda understand why they'd balk at his offer.  Even if nothing changes, ie still getting raped and beaten, at least it means living; a case of the "devil you know".  Getting beaten, forced, and treated like slaves can't be tons of fun, but it comes with food, relative safety from walkers, and stability.  Out there?  Pretty much none of the 'perks' and all the bad plus more shit to deal with.

• Love 5

I've been re-watching 5A as I impatiently wait for 5B and was reminded of something that bugged me when Coda first aired. What the hell is in the black duffel that is handed over to Daryl when they make the exchange for Carol? It's not Carol's backpack because (conveniently) right before she was run over, a limping Noah was inexplicably carrying it. So she didn't have it with her when she was taken to the hospital. It's not Beth's backpack because hers was left on the road when she was kidnapped. Sooo, since both ladies entered the hospital with just the clothes on their back, what possessions could they possibly be taking with them when they're "discharged" from good ol' Grady Memorial?

The show needs to return pronto because I've been reduced to nitpicking the existence of a freakin' duffel bag.

ETA: I forgot, I have another nitpick! I know the show wanted to make it suspenseful when Gabriel was outside the church doors begging to be let in as Michonne furiously chopped at the nailed wood across the door, but all I could think was "what if it was Rick & co returning with walkers hot on their heels"? It seemed to take too long to get those doors opened and in the meantime someone on Team Grimes or GREATM could've gotten a bite taken out of them.  And I didn't understand why Michonne didn't just continue doing what Carl initially did, which was try to pry the slat off. Just seemed like poor planning on their part.

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Love 2

ETA: I forgot, I have another nitpick! I know the show wanted to make it suspenseful when Gabriel was outside the church doors begging to be let in as Michonne furiously chopped at the nailed wood across the door, but all I could think was "what if it was Rick & co returning with walkers hot on their heels"? It seemed to take too long to get those doors opened and in the meantime someone on Team Grimes or GREATM could've gotten a bite taken out of them.  And I didn't understand why Michonne didn't just continue doing what Carl initially did, which was try to pry the slat off. Just seemed like poor planning on their part.

Personally, I wondered why FPP just didn't go back in through the hole he came out of.  Walkers on your ass?  Run around until you get some distance between you and them - they're not all that fast - THEN go back in your hole.  Cardio, man, cardio - Rule 1!

• Love 4

I know this is not replying to your post in the spirit you were looking for, but I have no sympathy for FG's dumb ass.  And as far as not being as quick or smart about getting the door unbarred if it were Rick, et all... Rick and the others wouldn't have been stupid enough to sneak out without telling them.   It wasn't like FG was a prisoner awaiting execution or some other monstrous fate; they were holed up for safety and waiting for the rest to get back.  That poor choice and unwise decision was all on him. 

• Love 1

I don't think Dexter, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, etc were too puritanical.

No, but they aired on premium channels, who need not bow to advertisers who lay down the "All the gore, violence and torture you like, but none of that sex stuff and most of all, no F-bombs." smack.

I don't think Dexter, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, etc were too puritanical.

No, but they aired on premium channels, who need not bow to advertisers who lay down the "All the gore, violence and torture you like, but none of that sex stuff and most of all, no F-bombs." smack.

Breaking Bad aired on AMC, just like TWD. 

• Love 1

Outlander is on AMC and is pretty racy, not as much as HBO, but definitely more than the networks.

The last 8 epis are on Demand do I was able to rewatch and got to see the post credits scene with Morgan. Yay!

• Love 2

The last 8 epis are on Demand do I was able to rewatch and got to see the post credits scene with Morgan. Yay!

You're lucky.  If it weren't for online sources - like this forum - I would never have known Morgan has made two post-credits appearances so far this season.

But I guess that's personal fault for taking so long to get involved with the show. 

• Love 2

If I remember correctly, didn't Breaking Bad get away with dropping the F bomb quite a few times? I am not some big proponent for throwing around bad language or anything, but sometimes, it is just necessary. And yes, I unfortunately laughed out loud when Rick finally got out "They're screwing with the wrong people". It would have been a truly epic quote if they would have just went there. It really does take away from the scene, especially since there is the uncut version that reminds you of how badass it could've been. We're all adults here, and we shouldn't have to pander to the random child that may be up late watching a show about the zombie apocalypse. Damn the Man!

• Love 4
Outlander is on AMC and is pretty racy, not as much as HBO, but definitely more than the networks.

I thought it was on STARZ? I haven't watched yet. I read the first four books when I was in my late teens, so now I plan on re-reading the entire series before watching, but I could have sworn it was on one of the pay channels that I don't get. I was glad, because I would be less tempted to check it out. 

I know this is not replying to your post in the spirit you were looking for, but I have no sympathy for FG's dumb ass.  And as far as not being as quick or smart about getting the door unbarred if it were Rick, et all... Rick and the others wouldn't have been stupid enough to sneak out without telling them.

And Rick wouldn't have been stupid enough to run for help to the building where his infant daughter was being kept. Father PP is the moron to beat all morons. I would have left him out there for the dead. 

• Love 5

You're lucky.  If it weren't for online sources - like this forum - I would never have known Morgan has made two post-credits appearances so far this season.

But I guess that's personal fault for taking so long to get involved with the show. 

Or not watching through the credits.

• Love 1

I don't what all the handwringing or complaining about American television is.....

First, we get our regular free network channels...some shows have adult theme and some violence, but a lot of shows you can let your children or family watch.

Then, we have cable channels that come in a package deal....AMC, Sundance...they have more adult content and more violence, but the language not to over the top.

Finally, we have the individual pay channels...Showtime, HBO...they have racier adult content, even more violence and the "f" word among others is used.

Plenty of choices in the marketplace...why is anyone complaining.... I don't know.

By the way, Starz is free this weekend thru Sunday.

• Love 1

"just have the group turn to leave and have Noah and Beth turn to each other as she leaves, he says something like Beth I want to go with you! and goes to reach her, Dawn yells and draws the gun at Noah and Beth instinctively tries to push him out of the way and the bullet goes in her head instead."

Thank you, kikismom, your completely organic alternative to the strange Beth wrap-up has inspired me to stop lurking and respond. I'm adopting yours as my preferred ending to 5A...thx but no thx TWD writers...where do I send my cheque, km? And, Ocean Chick, agree Daryl will grieve, but I think he bears no blame. Beth never needed to save herself. She just needed to keep quiet, arms at her sides, and let the others save her, as they always did.

I'm so ready to move on now. For 5B, I will only say, needs more Rick, please...just more. The story sags when he's not in it. Am I the only one who can't take her eyes off him when he's on-screen, bathed in grime though he is? Not talking about his hotness, he just has some kind of magnetism, and depth of character, for me. Maybe I'm just talking about good acting.

• Love 4

Thank you, kikismom, your completely organic alternative to the strange Beth wrap-up has inspired me to stop lurking and respond.

Thank you for the response; I am so glad you stopped lurking --- and keep joining the conversation, one more week (plus a couple days) and we will be live commenting during the episode yay!

I agree, I don't think I'd want to see the show without Rick. Even when I've wanted to smash him, AL is making the most of this opportunity to show screen presence and he has a good future if he doesn't do a Charlie Sheen or something.