Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Back At Camp

Chip
  • Start Topic

@marys1000, I couldn’t do it either. I’ll be 58 in a couple of weeks, and I get winded if I have to run for anything. :) I could do the puzzle challenges all day long, tho. I am a graphic designer and anything involving shapes, spaces, geared toward the OCD in me, I’d whip it. I like camping, so I’d not be thrown off by the sleeping conditions. But I’d be the first person voted out if they knew my age.

• Love 1

I could never do it.  I need my sleep, cleanness, sunglasses and lip balm.  

The semi-fasting I'd be fine with, I think.  

5 hours ago, marys1000 said:

I*d love to do it if I was 30 years younger.  While some 60 year olds are still fit I am not.  I would have problems with the social part.  I can be very sensitive and also have 

tendency to paranoia in relationships.  I don't need much sleep, that wouldn't be a problem.  My biggest problem would be food.  I am a real wimp about eating anything outside 

of a small circle of normalness.  Just...Cant.  

I love your honesty!  I would not do well with the social aspect either.  I love to socialize but not with people who are skulking around, whispering behind my back plotting my extinction.  I would be fine with the food because it is clear they are getting extra from somewhere since no one loses much weight anymore.  I think the camera crew carry brisket in their pockets.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

If I were on Survivor, first I would be going off to cry by myself like Lisa in Philippines because I too am an introvert and being around anyone 24/7 would run me completely ragged; then if I lasted long enough and got through that somehow I would get dull and stupid and possibly crazy from the lack of good sleep.  The food situation would be the least of my worries tbh.

I'd love to give Survivor a try, but I doubt I'd ever get the opportunity.  I have multiple entries in my Pros list:

• I'm a reformed introvert (said reform forced by approx. 10 years of indentured servitude in a mid/upper-level management position), which means I (a) naturally relate socially with introverts and (b) have learned how to relate to extroverts.
  • I come from country folk who inculcated in me at an early age more than your usual baseline of outdoor survival skills.
  • I have extensive water skills and experience; got my NAUI Master Diver certification 4 years ago.
  • I am deceptively stronger than I look - more on that later, though.
  • And purely a hunch on my part, but I think I might have a better handle on some of the Survivor-specific strategy aspects than some of the recruits.  :)

Like I said, several Pro elements - but all of these would be overshadowed by two great big Con elements:

• By Survivor standards, I'm old - 55.
  • I ain't pretty, unless by that you mean pretty stocky.  I can swim over a mile and have paddled Engine and Rocket positions on various dragon boat teams over the past decade - but most people would probably take one look at me, think "couch potato" (hence my "deceptively stronger" comment earlier), and write me off as a team liability in physical comps.  

Odds are, my age and appearance would most probably guarantee I'd get booted before I ever got the opportunity to even start playing, or demonstrate my worth to my team.  

C'est la vie.

• Love 3
On 10/9/2017 at 3:11 AM, KimberStormer said:

If I were on Survivor, first I would be going off to cry by myself like Lisa in Philippines because I too am an introvert and being around anyone 24/7 would run me completely ragged; then if I lasted long enough and got through that somehow I would get dull and stupid and possibly crazy from the lack of good sleep.  The food situation would be the least of my worries tbh.

Contrary to my online behavior, I get along with just about everyone in real life. I have been told repeatedly that I am a "good listener," because I talk very little. People like to talk about themselves, and they find me sympathetic because I don't interrupt. I might occasionally make sympathetic noises or relate a similar situation in my own life, but not often.  They don't realize that, in my head, I am generally thinking, "You are such an idiot and a scumbag. I can't wait until I never have to see you again." Once things go too far, I get extremely aggressive, though.

That would help me get along, but it would not help me win. I would be considered an UTR player, even though I would probably develop strong ties with others. People who like big personalities would hate watching me until I got tired of someone's bullshit sufficiently to rain down Armageddon on their head. Then, they would think I am batshit crazy. 

My outdoor skills are primarily related to firearms and camp cooking. The former is useless in Survivor. I also used to be a very strong swimmer, but 30 years of smoking has put a crimp in that. I am poor. On food stamps. I eat once a day to save food for my son. So, starvation diets are everyday life for me. The problem would be not being able to smoke. Fuck that. It's my sole remaining vice and form of "entertainment." 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Nashville said:

Like I said, several Pro elements - but all of these would be overshadowed by two great big Con elements:

• By Survivor standards, I'm old - 55.
  • I ain't pretty, unless by that you mean pretty stocky.  I can swim over a mile and have paddled Engine and Rocket positions on various dragon boat teams over the past decade - but most people would probably take one look at me, think "couch potato" (hence my "deceptively stronger" comment earlier), and write me off as a team liability in physical comps.  

Odds are, my age and appearance would most probably guarantee I'd get booted before I ever got the opportunity to even start playing, or demonstrate my worth to my team.  

C'est la vie.

Those can be overcome, though. It somewhat depends on the rest of the cast. Historically, being an older man is less damning than being an older woman (and occasionally any woman). Samoa's Mike Borassi made it to day 5 before being medevaced despite being close to useless in challenges. He was never a target.

As for "I ain't pretty," I always had a soft spot for Redemption Island's Ralph. I don't think most people would call him pretty. Hairy, yes. And you're waaaaay more articulate than Ralph.

Edited by simplyme
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Here’s an old list. I think they get $10,000 for showing up for the reunion, too.

The scale below is what was widely circulated in early seasons, when there were seasons with 16 players; most seasons now have 18 or 20 players, so obviously there are other amounts—and the lower amounts, especially, may have changed since those early years. No early-boot contestant has yet, to my knowledge, publicly revealed their cash prize, so this is the best we have right now.

Winner: $1,000,000

Runner-up, $100,000

3. $85,000

4. $70,000

5. $55,000

6. $45,000

7. $35,000

8. $27,500

9. $20,000

10.$15,000

11. $10,000

12. $7,500

13. $5,500

14. $4,500

15. $3,500

16. $2,500

I went on an Internet date last weekend and reluctantly admitted, under questioning, that the only TV show I watch is Survivor.  He did not approve.  It's all about manipulation, so evil! he said.  I was like, "All that happens when someone gets manipulated on Survivor is they get somewhat less money to go with their fame and vacation time, dude.  All your Games of Thrones and so on are about people getting raped to death or whatever.  Let me like my show."  Not out loud, though.

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

I went on an Internet date last weekend and reluctantly admitted, under questioning, that the only TV show I watch is Survivor.  He did not approve.  It's all about manipulation, so evil! he said.  I was like, "All that happens when someone gets manipulated on Survivor is they get somewhat less money to go with their fame and vacation time, dude.  All your Games of Thrones and so on are about people getting raped to death or whatever.  Let me like my show."  Not out loud, though.

Let me guess: There will be no future dates.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

As someone who likes both Survivor and Game of Thrones, I'm not sure why someone who is a fan only of the latter would claim any kind of moral or intellectual high ground over fans of the former. But in general, I'm not a fan of judging people for their taste in entertainment—I don't believe that emotional reactions (liking something, disliking something) are in anyone's direct control. And anyway, liking one genre of entertainment doesn't preclude someone from liking other things. My love of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (and Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey) did not interfere with my ability to appreciate and love The Lives of Others.

On 3/23/2018 at 4:46 AM, KimberStormer said:

,,,the only TV show I watch is Survivor. 

Survivor is my favorite.  I also like Colony, Counterpart, The Americans and Westworld. 

No positive updates on the money they get except for during that recent TMZ reporting on the thew cop recruit the said "gets a minimum of 10,000"

It does seem like the amount of money should have gone up after all this time.  I wonder why they haven't given away a car or anything in years? 

Speaking of introverts in the game, rewatching Africa it was Kelly I think talking about Frank  and his being an introvert like it was just some heinous crime and finished he need to get therapy.  Frank wasn't likeable bu that's  not because he was an introvert, I was so F' you bitch.  Sorry she even made the jury.  

Some really great older players on Africa.  

Edited by marys1000

It's amazing how people expect us to watch or not watch based on how they see us and what they then decide we must like.

I've realised that a number of people assume Survivor is dumb, and wouldn't expect me to watch it if they also assume I'm not dumb.

However, now that I'm based in Europe and have access to the French version of Survivor, I understand the bias from Europeans at least - that show looks like it's a dud (based on seeing two episodes only, mind you, I shudder to think what someone who had seen only two of the worst episodes of te worst season would think), mostly because there is minimal strategy, and the mood is very much what I imagine it was in the first seasons of Survivor.

But mostly, there's this image of Reality TV = Bad, because the first thing that springs to mind of people that don't watch it is non competitive shows which I'm not going to list here, or cheesy ones, where people supposedly look for love or are stranded in a closed environment and play up a character to win favour with the public and/or to be remembered after the show and capitalise on that fame.

Survivor, to me, is more like some kind of ultimate fighting game when the skills can be social, physical, street-smart, intellectual, empathy, good listening, ability to convince, charm, or any combo thereof, and the conjunction of all these very different skills (and foibles) combine to make for an interesting ride, and the winner can be ultimately any combo, as long as it was the right one to work with that specific cast.

Sometimes, it's a satisfying ride, sometimes not; sometimes we feel the winner was the right one, sometimes not. But I had always found it fascinating to watch, even if the season is bad.

Last season feels atypical. I wish I had seen the final 3 that would have come to be without the last minute gimmick.

But yeah, back to where I started, people who trust me are interested in knowing what I like about Survivor, even if it's not their thing. Doesn't mean they'll get on board, and that's ok. Doesn't mean I'll try and hide that I like the show, and they're fine with that too. Explaining the why is so much more interesting than explaining the what. I'm always interested in why people like things that I completely ignore, be them shows, music, movies, books. The why is always the key to see if you can gel :)     

For some reason, the following appeared when I started this message, must be something I wrote a long time ago and didn't post, probably when the thread was about how we'd do on Survivor. In the spirit of openness, I'll leave it, although it has nothing to do with the current discussion(s):

As a social introvert, I'd like to think I would fit in just fine. After all, I'm interested in people, all people, really, from the whackiest to the most "normal".

But then again I am over the median age of Survivor players, and I am a mom - oh, the horror... So that might make me a target right off the bat. Unless there was someone even more unpalatable in my tribe, like with legit issues, howling at the moon, etc. I would have to hope we don't go to TC too early, and if I survive long enough I might be able to coast for awhile. At least until the day I wake up in a bad mood (I am so not a morning person...) and do my very own version of A Witch On Crack Terrorising The Mere Mortals, have a good cry, or both. Afterwards, I'll be seen as the perfect goat, and be "dragged" to FTC, where I'll beautifully plead my case while subtly - or not so subtly - undermining the other potential winners. 

P.S. And I'd lose, of course, because a new twist will have made my beautiful strategy totally moot. Like it does. 

• Love 1

I had a question, and didn't want to search online in case of spoilers.

I missed the last two seasons, do I need to watch them for the upcoming season this fall? Are there repeat players from the last 2 seasons, or all new players?

I will be watching the missing seasons too, but just wanted to know.

17 hours ago, fishcakes said:

It's all new players this season. I think the season after this one will have some recent returning players though.

new players to Survivor, but one of the players was previously on TAR.

Jeremy said something about getting up at the butt-crack of dawn. What the hell is the butt-crack of dawn?  Those are 2 words (3?)  that just have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Where this phrase come from?

I'm not southern but I've heard that before.  But I was in the military and we used all the sayings for getting up realy early:) 

There is the crack of dawn, when light just cracks the horizon.  Maybe its still dark down in the crack of a butt?  

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 2

Hi, there doesn’t seem to be a thread for just general discussion, I read through any rules I could find but I want to triple check, where would I make a post like this? I’m looking for newbies to play a Survivor ORG on Discord.

Thanks! If this breaks a rule I’m sorry, I tried to make sure it was allowed, but could you direct me where to go regardless?

Is there something wrong with my clock? I just woke up and it says the show was finished an hour ago. But the Episode thread (Ep 10) is still locked.

Do those locks get taken off automatically by the board software? Or is it possible one of the mods has either forgotten or has missed unlocking it for some other reason?

Have any of you watched 90-Day Fiance? Christian totally reminds me of Jason Hitch. His voice sounds exactly alike and all that talking with his hands. I had just talked to Jason a couple of weeks ago on the phone, it didn’t hit me until now.

@MissBluxom, it was a 2 hr episode.

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Have any of you watched 90-Day Fiance? Christian totally reminds me of Jason Hitch. His voice sounds exactly alike and all that talking with his hands. I had just talked to Jason a couple of weeks ago on the phone, it didn’t hit me until now.

@MissBluxom, it was a 2 hr episode.

Oh. I had no idea. Thank you for telling me.

Introduction and Personal Info. I am posting this info here because Jumper Sage expressed an interest:

I have been using computers ever since they first became available. I bought my first one in about 1985 (It was something called a Columbia and it had 128K memory). I have been using message boards since they ever became available sometime around 1986. That is 32 years now. It only took a few years for me to learn that when I used a female name, people treated me much better than when I used a male name. I have disclosed that several times here on this forum and I have never used any other names on this forum except for a very brief time when there was some problem and I couldn't get in with my old name. In any event, I would be happy to change my name to a masculine name if the admins and the mods of this board are willing, I will ask them and if they be willing, I will have the name changed to something that is clearly masculine. I don't blame anyone for expressing the preference that people who declare they are a particular gender irl should use a name that makes that clear. I have no problem with that at all. I will let you know if and when the admins give me an answer.

I have no bad feelings about this at all. I truly do respect and admire all the members and the mods and admins of this board. I was truly shocked after joining this board to discover that so many of the members always seemed to treat the others with respect and courtesy and since first joining, I have tried to do the same.

My understanding of the rules here is that you can use curse words and you can call people names. But you can't disrespect the other members. You can disrespect the players. But like most other boards, you must never threaten anyone with bodily harm and you must never make any racist or personal insults to another member.

It seems to me that more and more, the rules for message boards are becoming closer and they can be summarized into, "Do not behave like an Asshole". As long as you behave like that, I think you won't have any serious problems.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 2

I've occasionally come across other posters with confusing names. Alot of times a name is gender neutral, and could mean anything. I don't believe there is any rule. Can't assume anything on the Internet! 

My name is nothing special. I had two kittens and was going to name one Cleo. But it didn't fit her, so I started using it.

I always wonder if I went on Survivor if I would have the discipline to not gorge on food to the point of vomiting. I would definitely abstain from alcohol. 

So...off topic and not even sure where the appropriate place to ask this is - but I've always wondered why they take their bags with them when they're doing challenges. Does anyone know? Should I take this somewhere else?

13 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Most people think I am a man. (shrugs)

OMG!  You are not a  man?   I'm not sure why.  But I always felt you were a man.  Maybe it was due to my prejudice in thinking that most Professors are male.

Or maybe it's due to the fact that throughout my formative years (the 1960s), most professors were male.

But everyone here should know that I have more than once said that the very best post I ever read on this board were written by ProfCrash. So, there goes my dumbass preconceived bullshit.

P.S.  Please take note that I have changed my name from "MissBluxom" to "MisterBluxom". I want to thank the mods who helped me accomplish this task. The board software has a way that members can change their names on their own. But when I tried, it wasn't working. I sent a message to a moderator (who I will not name because that mod may prefer to remain anonymous) who helped me do it. I suspect that moderator may have even had it done for me because the board software wasn't working. But no matter how it happened, I am truly grateful for the help I have received from the moderators. They have a difficult job and I think - especialy in my case - they have done an excellent job.

Can you believe that I have only ever received one warning?  I usually get banned several times in the same amount of time I've been posting here and I have not yet been banned at all. What an amazing board!

P.P.S. I have also said that some of the best posts I have ever read on this board were made by Nashville. I edited this post because I didn't want him to think I had forgotten about him. I always look forward to reading his posts. Umm ....... I don't know why. But, all of a sudden, I feel an overwhelming need to know ..... Nashville? You are a man, Nash? Aren't you?

Edited by MisterBluxom
I don't want Nashville to think I have forgotten about him.

You and I are sharing a brain. I can't swim well either so neither would I. lol  And every single time they have one of those reward feasts, I tell my husband that I don't know how in the world they are okay after that when they go without food for so long. The one feast was greasy fried chicken, potato salad and corn...can you imagine? That screws up my stomach on a normal day - don't even want to think about what it would do to them...and they have to dig holes, don't they? Or do they have outhouses that they just don't show us?

When Abi was on the show, they’d just go in the jungle... or in the ocean. They might have outhouses now. Julie (John Rocker’s girlfriend when they were on the show) she told me stuff she probably shouldn’t have, LOL. There’s a medical staff there at all times, not just when we see them coming in to check on someone. They are in a tent, holding all the medications some of them take on a daily basis. And I’m sure you’ve seen the bandaids magically appear on different people at times.

If I ate like they have been eating, I’d be not only puking but dealing with a bad case of the Hershey squirts. :D

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 1

Here’s a nice interview with Abi Maria. Funny story, her mother is going through the citizenship process to live here, and the immigration officers were curious why she spent only 2 days in the Philippines and 2 days in Cambodia. :)

https://medium.com/authority-magazine/i-am-living-proof-of-the-american-dream-with-abi-maria-gomes-e642da860121?source=friends_link&sk=6a6379498dad9c2376d0bfa16009dbed&fbclid=IwAR2D_Nrn96dsNRFgOTGTRTPL1QOgR47Fg33V8XvFfVIuTFZfI9tioZfvJwY

On 4/11/2017 at 11:35 AM, Special K said:

In my dreams...

Ironic this was the first post in this thread that came up for me today...

On 4/29/2017 at 12:09 PM, KimberStormer said:

I had another Survivor dream last night...

I'm admittedly too in to this season, and had my own dream too.  It was the premiere of an unusual season...that included Angelina.  She was cold, and asked one castaway for his hat.  He said no.  Then she asked me for my hat.  After asking her whether we were paired up at the start (essentially tribes of two, and we were not), I said no as well.

On 4/14/2017 at 12:10 AM, KimberStormer said:

I completely avoid spoilers for the ones I watch when they're on.  Yet I love some of the ones I was spoiled for, and it didn't ruin them at all...

Some time, somewhere, I came across research that concluded people enjoy a book more when they know how it ends ahead of time.  Although I don't know of any similar study applied to reality TV.

I personally avoid "hard" spoilers of this and past seasons I intend to watch, but watch previews, read [presumably vetted] exit interviews and enjoy Tweets from some current season players.

• Love 1
On 17/12/2018 at 6:37 AM, Mark2 said:

Some time, somewhere, I came across research that concluded people enjoy a book more when they know how it ends ahead of time.  Although I don't know of any similar study applied to reality TV.

I personally avoid "hard" spoilers of this and past seasons I intend to watch, but watch previews, read [presumably vetted] exit interviews and enjoy Tweets from some current season players.

I used to avoid spoilers like the plague, but now I'll usually check into the spoiler thread from about halfway through a season onwards. I prefer not to get a full boot-list (and if I see one I usually click out) but I find a comfort in knowing how things turn out. When I really like a player/s, I get quite anxious about their fate in the game - knowing how they're likely to fare makes it easier to watch. 

Edited by MissEwa
  • Love 3

I'd just like to say goodbye and thank you to everyone who participated in this forum during the Survivor season.

The mods were great. They were almost invisible. That may sound like I'm being a smart ass. But I'm not. It takes a lot of skill to be a good moderator and remain almost invisible. The best moderators are usually only seen rarely - only when they have to be seen.  I want to give a shout out to @whimsey. I've only ever spoken with her two or three times but I think she did a great job.

I'd also like to thank so many of the people who have posted throughout this season. There are a great many really smart people who know how to write and have something poignant and/or something amusing to say.

I can't mention all the people who I've enjoyed reading this season. So, I'll just say that @Nashville has always been my favorite poster. I won't embarrass him with a bunch of fawning language. Anyway, a "favorite" writer is too subjective for anyone to explain.

Thank you all very much. You are a great bunch of people and I hope to see you all back next season.

• Love 5

Anybody who has Instagram and is in the mood for "high quality entertainment" in the downtime between Survivor seasons needs to go on Jay's account from Millennials vs Gen X (he's jqskim, and he's private, so you have to request to follow him) because he just did a 17 Instagram story saga about him and Adam stopping to get gas somewhere outside Vegas (where they were with a group including Angelina for Adam's birthday weekend), and Adam not knowing how to work the gas pump. Also hilarious if you don't like Adam, because he looks ridiculous, and it's almost four minutes of Jay just laughing at him. Instagram stories expire in 24 hours, so catch this high quality entertainment while you can.

Anyway, I had no idea where to put this post, because both "Media" and "Past Seasons Talk" seemed like a stretch.

10 hours ago, Eolivet said:

Also hilarious if you don't like Adam, because he looks ridiculous, and it's almost four minutes of Jay just laughing at him. Instagram stories expire in 24 hours, so catch this high quality entertainment while you can.

Tough call for me. I despise Adam so like do I even wanna watch him at all? But also, watching him look stupid could be fun. Decisions, decisions.

If you watch, do let me know. The stories get punchier and more sophomoric as the night rolls on. (and okay, the story is now like, 35 stories long, and goes from roadtrip inanity to roommate inanity).

I think I just miss Survivor (gonna be a letdown after David vs Goliath), and the Amazing Race (where I could totally see an abbreviated version of this gas saga), and it was so nice to see Jay acting like a normal human being with a sense of humor, instead of Morgan Willett's emotional punching bag on Ex on the Beach.

• Love 1
On 12/16/2018 at 1:37 PM, Mark2 said:

I totally love to know the end of most (not all) fiction books.  I'm the same with Survivor and shows like True Detective.

Knowing the ending helps me enjoy the journey of the story better because I can understand it better.  Plus, I don't like surprises!

Bumping this in case anyone is interested in the portrayal of a Survivor type show in another show. Lucifer season 4 episode 2 has a story on such a show, I was delighted to see one contestant explaining how he plays the villain on purpose, a cameraman doing his best to portrait someone as a sweet person, some shenanigans/collusion between show people and cast... It's a mix of things that happen, things that we suspect happen and things that someone at some point has alleged happen...

I am Kellee and Janet and Missy and Elizabeth and Lauren.

I have spoken up at times, and stayed silent at times. I have defended and I have enabled and I have denied.

I have kept my head up and kept my head down.

I have gone through life in a broken system primed not to believe anything I say, good or bad. Primed to punish my words, not others' actions. And I haven't had it nearly as bad as nearly everyone else I know.

But I know all these women. I am all these women. And I believe all these women.

• Love 4