Type keyword(s) to search

The Sleepy Hollow Positivity Thread - Why SH is Absolutely Brilliant

Since we have our "bitch and whine" thread about what went wrong with Sleepy Hollow, we thought that a contrasting thread should be created - one that revels in the awesomeness that is the world of Sleepy Hollow. Why are Abbie Mills, Ichabod Crane, and the Sleepy Hollow-verse itself so awesome. What is it that makes us so addicted to this bloody show and want to see it be awesome for seasons to come....

• Love 8

I'm glad you started this thread, I was thinking of starting something similar.  I just love this show.  It was one of my favorites last year and still is this year.  Yes, there are some things I don't love, but I don't hate either (and if I did, that is well covered in other threads).  This show has 2 of my favorite leads ever, in Abbie and Ichabod.  I like their partnership, I like their friendship.  I like when they battle the MOW together and how well they complement each other.

I loved Andy Brooks (John Cho) but do understand the actor had other committments, but I hope they bring him back somehow.

• Love 7

I love your optimism HalcyonDays! I am disillusioned, but I will try to play!

I love the relationship between the two leads. They compliment each other in every way...even when they but heads over an issue. I love the supernatural horror element of the show. I love that supporting characters in small roles are presented in a way that makes you really care about them ( my favourite example of this is Corbin ). This may be down to the ability of the actors themselves, and if that is the case I will say that I love this show for being smart enough to cast actors who can elevate a mediocre script.

This is me being positive! I hope I can continue in this way. I still have some faith in you Show!

• Love 3

Great idea for a thread, HalcyonDays! I think it's important to remember what attracted us to the show in the first place and kept us watching. 

I liked the idea of a "man out of time" right from the start, and -having spent time in the lower Hudson valley in the region of Sleepy Hollow-the use of history in the show was a draw. I also liked the very National Treasure like vibe early on with George Washington's sextant and the evil Hessians etc. The show's delving into the supernatural was definitely a plus. I'm always disappointed when a "ghost" on a Doctor Who episode ends up being an alien. There's a certain frisson of horror that a terrifying or just spooky supernatural character can create that an alien simply can't.

The premise and the plot, though, would never be sufficient to keep my attention without the wonderful acting (especially the leads) and the chemistry between the actors. Also, the humor in the show is a real high-point (and sometimes the only highpoint lately).

Many of the things that attracted me to the show still remain so I continue to watch and enjoy it though hoping for more.

• Love 8

The complete re-imagining of the character Ichabod Crane has been the most brilliant aspect of this show. I loved that they retained certain characteristics from Irving's story - the gangliness, haughtiness, and intellectualism-- but improved upon the character with other qualities -- namely his courage and sense of adventure and looks. They found the perfect actor to portray him and now, thanks to Tom Mison, when I think of Ichabod Crane I no longer view him as the fugly, coward of yore.

I also think the character of Abbie Mills is brilliant. Bringing the first (at least I think she is?)  Black female Sci-Fi lead to television and making her so awesome and fearless was a stroke of genius.

• Love 9

As much as I would like to take credit for the thread idea - that belongs to stacey. I'm the negative nelly in this forum!! *grin*, as you guys should know. She's the voice of positivity and reason here!

BUT...there is a lot positive to be had in this show, which is probably why a lot of us are being negative right now, because it truly is a unique and amazing show. Why?

First, of course the characters of Abbie and Ichabod. Just amazing characters, portrayed but such incredibly talented, versatile and nuanced actors. Seriously, Nicole Beharie is incredible as Abbie. She can say so much with her eyes, expressions, and you totally feel her situation. Same with Tom Mison - brilliant actor, so nuanced and honestly, the only one who could have brought this role to life. He made it his own, but what an amazing character as a result. It has in such a short time become iconic. And because I am shallow as all heck, think he is absolutely gorgeous also...Seriously, I love this man...

Second, the "lightening in a bottle" chemistry. It is truly a rare thing these days to have an on-screen pair (platonic or otherwise) that bounces off each other so perfectly. As mentioned ad nauseum, Mulder and Scully are my comparison, only because I was a big X-Phile way back when.

Third, I love the secondary characters of Jenny and Frank.  Especially Jenny. I love both of their witty quips, intelligence and bad assness, but it's real and never over the top. Both Orlando Jones and Lyndie Greenwood do a wonderful job respectively.

As RiddleyWalker stated, the Indiana Jones, National Treasure, historical aspect of the show also intrigues me. I like the little twists and turns, but I love the 18th century flashbacks, the artifact hunting, etc. I started watching a show called TURN, and have a new found interest in the Revolutionary War history, thanks to SH.

Finally, the character of Ichabod Crane. The idea that this 18th century nobleman wakes up 200+ years in the future and has to learn many things from scratch is fascinating to me. The language is different, the devices, the people, the behaviors, etc. I don't know, I just find is fascinating thinking about how a person would deal with such a unique and challenging situation. The things that we take for granted, like clean water, showers, refrigeration, modern medicine, grocery stores, cars, etc...are all things that someone like Crane has to learn and adapt to. I really love that twist to the character. I could watch a show of Ichabod and Abbie - A Day in the Life.

• Love 6

LOVE that you started this topic.

I love how Ichabod Crane is always slightly a fish out of water.  His conversation with the OnStar Car woman while locked in his car was hilarious and I will never forget it. And Tom Mison has a gorgeous speaking voice.  Abbie is awesome, and I love their acting chemistry together. 

The cast is great, the whole founding fathers meets indiana jones is marvelous.  I am truly loving this show.

• Love 4

I love that I buy into the awesomeness of both Abbie & Jenny.  NB is a wee thing, but the way she plays Abbie I have no doubt that she can handle herself in this batshit crazy world they created.  Also kudos to the writers for giving her lines that play up the incredulous disbelief that this, whatever the this of the week is, is happening.  And. of course, Emmy worthy eyerolls.

Same with Jenny, but with her backstory of being institutionalized for so long plus playing outside the lines, I totally buy off on her doing nutty ass stuff that no sane person would do because I buy that she is both highly intelligent and a bit undone.

I also love what they have consistently made minor roles memorable - whether through lines or casting.  Yolanda, the disembodied voice over the car link, Mary Wells, Caroline (in the Weeping Lady), the golum, Corbin's son...

• Love 6

Costuming is another thing I love about this show. Abbie and Jenny wear appropriate clothings for what they do, especially Jenny. Abbie is stuck in the heels only cause she's so small/Mison's so tall. But love Jenny's practical and comfortable outfits and Abbie' jackets!

The 18th century outfits are beautiful and so detailed and seem pretty realistic. Same with the military uniforms.

But the costuming is amazing. I LOVE to death Crane's Military coat, boots and grey tie front shirt. Yeah, yeah, I know they are battered up now, but they are beautiful. I WANT that coat, I WANT that shirt and I WANT those boots! I miss that coat to death.

• Love 4

Beharie and Mison trump a lot of the issues I have with the show this season.   SleepyHollow is only one of two shows I actually watch live each week.  I make a point of it because I enjoy those two so hard.  They elevate the material.

I thought S1 was fantastic.  Tight storytelling, exciting, and funny.  How unexpected were the additions of Jenny & Frank?  But so perfectly perfect.  The character arc of poor Dead Andy was great.  How awesome to write such a tortured character and have an actor like John Cho brilliantly bring both his humanity & his monstrous nature out? And It had a spectacular finale.

The Midnight Ride/Necromancer one-two punch was fantastic.  Everybody was on board -- and everybody delivered.

The jury on S2 is still out, but still there are some great moments that stand out:

- The season opener -- it was exciting as hell.

- All the Ichabbie feels all over the place. 

- Minor characters that make a huge impact - Big Ash, Caroline, Joe (from S2)  but also Seamus from S1.  The show does casting very well.

- Individual episodes that stand out: Premiere, The Weeping Lady, Wendigo & Mama so far are eps that feel very strong individually.

• Love 6

What a great idea!

1. Nicole Beharie. It's a challenge to make a hero character stand out these days, and Beharie does just that. Abbie as a concept is pretty damned cool and she's had her share of nifty speeches and lines, but NB makes the absolute most of every syllable -- good or bad -- with her exquisitely expressive face. Tiny as she is, she NEVER gets lost in a scene. Full-body acting that somehow never goes over the top, and that ain't easy on a show like this one. 

2. Tom Mison. Another stellar performer who has made his character completely and indelibly his own. Even when the show drives me crazy, I can't look away from the combination of adorkability and intelligence (tempered by egotism, stubborness, and other human frailties) Mison brings.

3. Abbie and Crane. Definitely agree with the Mulder/Scully comparisons. Mad chemistry that's been there since minute one.

4. Jenny and Irving and the rock-solid actors who play them. They make me believe every crazy thing that happens in Sleepy Hollow. And I miss them (a lot) when they're not around.

5. Shirtless Headless. Because, this show.

• Love 3

Abbie and Ichabod are my favorite parts of the show.  I also really like Jenny and Irving--even Hawley.  I think most of the other things I like about the show are things that seem to happen accidentally--a lot of the supporting characters that we only see for one episode, for instance.  I liked Andy, Mary, Caroline, those scary witches in the Golem episode, the Succubus, the Sandman, Headless (when he's Headless, not when he was Abraham), Corbin's son Joe, and Luke.  The pilot and the second episode are my favorites.  I also like the way that they dress Abbie and Ichabod.  I also really love Ichabod's random rants about everything.

• Love 1

I just love this darn show. I could say "Ditto" to practically everything said in this thread. However, one of my favorite things is the Katrina and Ichabod relationship. I like they didn't automatically kill her off for the angst and drama. Ichabod has lost his son, for all intents and purposes, and I don't want to see him grieve for his wife, either. I like that Ichabod is questioning her motives, and that they're having issues. After all her manipulation of him, I think that's a realistic reaction for Ichabod. I'm rooting for those crazy kids, because killing spouses is not cool.

I may change my mind if Katrina is really in love with Abraham instead of manipulating him, but I do think she loves Ichabod. She just dips into the not telling the truth to protect your loved one well a little too often.

The thing I like about this series the most is how much I am entertained by all the characters.

• Love 2

I am so strangely conflicted by this thread. 

On the one hand, I love hat I've seen on so many episodes, I love the Ichabod and Abbie characters and love the thrill of their adventures and the terror of the monsters. On the other hand, I am so feD up with the CFD and the character of Katrina and the inept running of the show by Mark Goffman. I am encouraged that enough people still watch the show (along with me) to enable FOX to have some interest in keeping it on the air and ,perhaps, making changes to improve the show.

I suspect it's a fine line between pulling the plug on the show and pulling the plug on the show runner. To be honest, given the show's problems, I'm now watching the show more as a case study than as a fan. I'm more distanced from the characters and the plot than I ought to be if I really loved the show.

In any event, I'll continue to love the things the show did so well last season and continue to hope the show gets back on track. (cough, cough, …fire Goffman!..cough, cough).

Edited by RiddleyWalker
  • Love 3

For more positivity, how about how effortlessly Nicole Beharie and Tom Mison bounce off each other in their scenes together. They are truly what I deem "actor soulmates". It's obvious how the chemistry manifests itself and I have no earthly explanation for it, but those two together in a scene will always elevate it to its highest level. I know they bounce ideas off each other and discuss how they feel a scene should unfold, but there is a natural camraderie between these two actors which is truly brilliant. I really really wish to see them together in another TV show, because to me, they are that good together.

• Love 5

I love Abbie, I love how all the loopy crackpot ghost and demon insanity is grounded by her presence. Nicole Beharie manages to project a great deal of warmth into a character whose abundance of self control and dry wit could come off as cold in the wrong hands. Instead, her Abbie is funny and delightful and keeps a firm grip on her courage in the face of monsters that have made her family's life hellish for generations. I was sceptical that I would enjoy what Sleepy Hollow promised, but she and Tom Mison have made it work so well. He is an absolute delight, he's consistently amusing, He does such a wonderful job of portraying a man who is very much of his time but delights in the many advantages modern technology offers. I enjoy the humor of the show and the way a scene can veer so quickly to startling, scary moments. I truly appreciate how prepared and mentally acute Jenny is about the occult dangers they face  I enjoy her sharp edges and the wariness her experiences have given her and how that means that there are times when she comes off more like the older sister than Abbie does in preparing for the dangers they face. 

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 8

I could watch a show of Ichabod and Abbie - A Day in the Life.

I think Nicole and Lyndie are both gorgeous.  I would love A Day in the Life if Jenny popped over every now and again to hang out.  She and Abbie can do their thing while Ich and frank do theirs.

LOL

But the costuming is amazing. I LOVE to death Crane's Military coat, boots and grey tie front shirt. Yeah, yeah, I know they are battered up now, but they are beautiful. I WANT that coat, I WANT that shirt and I WANT those boots! I miss that coat to death.

I just hope the costuming keeps up now that Caroline is dead.  

Too soon?

Nicole Beharie as Abbie Mills continues to be awesome. Abbie and Jenny's relationship is probably my favorite relationship on the show and on TV right now. I love the fact it has not slowed down this season instead only gotten better.

I loved how they were both so hostile to each other when we first met them and how they've worked through that without taking cheap shortcuts.  Their scenes together are amazing -- Mama wouldn't have been near so good with two lesser actresses.

=================================================

One more thing... The entertainment industry seems to like women who are #NotTOOBlack (Beyonce vs Kelly Rowland, and Zoe Saldana as Nina Simone).  Nicole and Jenny definitely don't fit that pattern, and I'm glad of that.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 2

As frustrating as S2 has been, I miss the show when there's not a new ep or even a repeat.

Totally agree! As frustrating (and disappointing) S2 has been, I'll continue to watch because the characters and the "twistory" I can't see anywhere else. I'm also interested in seeing how the show responds to the criticism from fans and the media. The whole thing is really engrossing to me.

I posted some of this in the Episode thread, but I LOVE this show. Sure there may be somethings I do not like BUT overall this show is entertaining and that is all I ask for.  Personally this site is just getting to be too negative.  I am starting to stop reading anything but the positivity threads because everything else is so nasty and negative.  I really love Crane and Abbie together. I don't think we have lost that at all. I have really enjoyed the addition of Hawely (can't think how to spell his name at the moment). I have my finger crossed that Katrina with hook up with Abraham and go evil. 

• Love 5

bmjax, sorry to hear that we're driving you up the wall with our posts! ha! Unfortunately, there are a lot of us here that are very disappointed and upset over how the show has unfolded this season and need a place to vent our frustrations. Based on forums discussions, online media and professional media articles, there is quite a large number of people who are similarily disappointed. What is most interesting is that the reasons why consistently repeat everywhere.

However, there are viewers that do love this season! So I encourage you to bring your rays of positivity to these threads! Shine on, bmjax!

And please note, in complete sincerity, I envy your continued enjoyment.

Often, reading someone else's more positive take on a scene or ep opens up a different interpretation than my own and gives me something to buy into.

• Love 1

I posted some of this in the Episode thread, but I LOVE this show. Sure there may be somethings I do not like BUT overall this show is entertaining and that is all I ask for.  Personally this site is just getting to be too negative.  I am starting to stop reading anything but the positivity threads because everything else is so nasty and negative.  I really love Crane and Abbie together. I don't think we have lost that at all. I have really enjoyed the addition of Hawely (can't think how to spell his name at the moment). I have my finger crossed that Katrina with hook up with Abraham and go evil.

Out of curiosity - can you talk more about what you like about the show right now?

Also - if Katrina doesn't go evil - would that dampen your enthusiasm at all? Or would it all still be good?

I wish I had your enthusiasm... I miss how much I used to love this show.

It's not like people are being negative because they just like being that way though. Trust me on that. I used to literally campaign for my friends and everyone I met practically to watch this show.

• Love 1

I'm with bmjax, it is getting so frustrating to read most of the threads. However, I don't want Katrina to go evil. I think Ichabod is reacting the way a man of his time would react. I think Katrina too is reacting as a woman of her time would. This is a fun show that is different from most others, and I'd like to see where TPTB are taking it.

This is a series-long arc, there are going to be ups and downs for everyone. I want the show to plan things out, and circle back to dropped plotlines and keep us guessing.

• Love 2

I'm with bmjax, it is getting so frustrating to read most of the threads. However, I don't want Katrina to go evil. I think Ichabod is reacting the way a man of his time would react. I think Katrina too is reacting as a woman of her time would. This is a fun show that is different from most others, and I'd like to see where TPTB are taking it.

I think what I like about this potential arc with Katrina is that she is not good/evil but is drawn to who makes her feel the most special. I love that Ichabod puts Abbie First.  His first order of business was to rescue her from purgatory, not rescue Katrina. It seems that Katrina knows this, she is second to Abbie (because they are both witnesses and that is a bond closer then marriage) and also senses that Abraham will put her first.  I really like this idea of a platonic Male/Female bond being stronger then a romantic one. At least this is the way  I am seeing things. Perhaps that will change. 

Other things that I like: The Parent Child Relationships

Frank and his Daughter, he sacrificed everything for his daughter.  Part of me wonders if his soul really belongs to Henry or his family because his family is what he gave everything up for.

Abbie, Jenny and their Mother, again the sacrifice a parent makes for their child is so moving. Their mother's first priority was their safety.

Ichabod, Katrina and Henry. Okay I may be the very small minority but I get their desperation and their need to help their son find redemption and not to kill him.  I have a son and I could not image ever giving up on him (although if he decides to take up the mantle of the horseman of war as a vocation we are sooooo going to have a very strong conversation.) 

• Love 4

Other things that I like: The Parent Child Relationships

Frank and his Daughter, he sacrificed everything for his daughter.  Part of me wonders if his soul really belongs to Henry or his family because his family is what he gave everything up for.

What an interesting idea! I really like that - maybe in the end that will be what saves him.

Similar to a fanfic I read - well, kinda, lol.

Thanks for your reply bmjax - I liked what you wrote. I still wish I had your positivity though...

It seems the ability to view the show in a positive light hinges on a preference for relationship drama over supernatural action and mystery. I prefer the latter category so I'm a Negative Nancy about the show right now.

It seems the ability to view the show in a positive light hinges on a preference for relationship drama over supernatural action and mystery. I prefer the latter category so I'm a Negative Nancy about the show right now.

Exactly and this show is a bit of a mixed bag at times.

It's also which relationships the viewer feels drawn to. For example, if Abbie and Ichabod's friendship/relationship is ones primary draw, then this season is very difficult. However, if the struggles of the romantic relationship of Katrina and Ichabod appeal to you, then this season is for you. That's the divide.

bmjax - thank you for specifying the aspects of the show that appeal to you.  It had not occurred to me that Katrina is drawn to the person who makes her feel most special but viewing it from that perspective, it makes the story more cohesive.  I can't say that I feel that they've laid it out so clearly as you have, but I tend to need things spelled out in big block letters so there's always a good chance it is me!  And I love your perspective on Frank and his family/soul.  When taken in context with Andy Brook's appearance in the season 2 pilot, Andy specifically said he needed to help Abbie to prove to himself he still had some level of freewill and he was Moloch's mouthpiece.

It's also which relationships the viewer feels drawn to. For example, if Abbie and Ichabod's friendship/relationship is ones primary draw, then this season is very difficult. 

I disagree with this.  I love Abbie and Ichabod, separate and together.  I have enjoyed both seasons equally.  However, what I didn't have was a whole bunch of expectations that stories or relationships or anything were going to go a specific way.  That since we saw X I am excited to see Y.  I was happy to see X and then wait and see what happened next and then enjoy (or not) that - whether it be Y or Z or 9.  Basically I don't assume things will go a certain way.  I like the relationship between Abbie and Ichabod for the good and the bad it has.  It's real - sometimes they come across as good friends, sometimes they argue, sometimes they seem separated.  However, it all seems normal, it all seems real.  Of the two, I like Abbie best.  She's strong and confident and level headed.  She makes her own choices and decisions. Ichabod does get a little wishy washy, but that's real too.  So I may like Abbie as a person better, but enjoy watching both of them.  

• Love 3

Not at all. I watch a TV show to see where it is going to go. If I wanted to control the plot, well that's what fanfic is for ;-) IMHO

I watched Fringe, so I know what John Noble can do. He isn't going to sign a contract for a cardboard evil role.

I don't need a show that's tied up in a neat little bow every hour. I want to be surprised, I want the writers to leave little hints and get back to them episodes if not seasons later. I assume good faith when a character or plotline comes to the fore, that it is important to the overall arc. And I expect the writers to be telling a multi-season story, even though they don't know how many seasons they will get.

• Love 1

I disagree with this.  I love Abbie and Ichabod, separate and together.  I have enjoyed both seasons equally.  However, what I didn't have was a whole bunch of expectations that stories or relationships or anything were going to go a specific way.

Not sure my quick comment made my thoughts clear. This is NOT about shipping, as many dissenters seem to think. By saying that one prefers to see the Ichabbie relationship, I meant that how these two strangers met in strange circumstances, have been thrown together to save the world, how each one's own life has been impacted, how their own experiences could teach the other, and all of its inherent conflicts and successes. THAT to me is interesting. It does NOT mean romantic. Romance has nothing to do with it.

The fact is, the two main actors have amazing chemistry. So it's not surprising that some viewers want to see some more development in that chem (NOT romantic - just an awesome connection). It is these two people in a unique situation, thrown together for a stressful, intense and ultimately devastating scenario for humanity, and how they deal with this situation, and how they support each other in their deadly task. All other characters around them are secondary.

The story was supposed to be "Two Witnesses - blessed by "god", have been tasked with saving the world from the coming Apocalypse." That alone meant that the two mains would have to deal with Demons, and Evil and the like, while having to balance and juggle their own relationships in the meantime. Think of the many cop shows and movies where the main cop character has to deal with these insane and disturbing cases, yet has a wife/husband at home who they have conflict with, because wife/husband doesn't understand why they are messed up about their work. Before people say that this is happening with SH right now, the personal conflict NEVER took over the entire movie/show. It was merely a hinderance to the main character.

The same applies to SH. Abbie and Ichabod should have been the mains, and Jenny, Irving, Katrina and the like should have been there to provide personal growth, some drama, a emotional bond, but also a temporary diversion to their tasks at hand, providing the drama for the show. That is not the show now.

ANYWAY, back to the positivity!! Woohoo, I do love my Ichabod Crane, and his curmudgeonly, crusty, cranky comments. I mean, they are brillant, but make us look at things in new ways. I mean, that scene where Crane is commenting over the two guys in the restaurant, and Abbie automatically thinks it's because they are gay, but no. It's because one of them wears a hat - disrespectful. But it's a brilliant exercise on how we immediately become biased towards certain things, or at least are reminded of that. Brilliant!!!!!

• Love 3

Thanks for the positive responses guys - but to be clear, I don't think the fans who are unhappy or upset with the show are upset because they are trying to "control" the show... just that they feel bait and switched. I'll leave it at that.

• Love 1

And I don't feel a bait and switch because I didn't have expectations the story would go a certain way.  It's still about two witnesses and the Apocalypse.  All the rest of the characters are secondary and tertiary and in support of the two leads.  And my talking of expectations has nothing to do with shipping or not.  Just that I didn't expect to see X instead of Y.  For example, I didn't expect Katrina to die or not be important much in the same way I didn't expect her to be important or get more screen time.   Or I didn't see Jenny and Abbie together and expect to see a lot more flashbacks or conversely didn't expect to see no flashbacks of their family.  I just accept what is shown as the story it is. I stay in the present.  Abbie and Ichabod are still the leads - I love them and love watching them.  I am looking forward to seeing if Moloch re-arises or if a new demon or entity takes over in trying to bring about the Apocalypse.  That is the one expectation I have - that something will keep trying to bring about the Apocalypse.

• Love 1

And I don't feel a bait and switch because I didn't have expectations the story would go a certain way.

I guess that means you didn't take the "bait"? Or you didn't see the "bait" that those who are unhappy and who feel "baited and switched" saw.

In some ways maybe you're lucky.

• Love 1

I'll have to cosign with Aquarian. I have few expectations, and I think that's why I'm better able to accept what I'm given. I love Abbie, I love Ichabbie (good with romance/friendship/both), I can take or leave Katrina. I still enjoy the show.

That said: if Abbie goes, I'm gone. Ichabod is not enough on his own to keep me interested, and Ichatrina definitely isn't.

• Love 3

I'm feeling positive today so I had something to add.

Don't everyone faint at once, lol.

I was thinking about the storyline with Abbie where Abbie was shown to be really flawed with her "abandonment" of Jenny when they were younger... meaning, Abbie was "afraid" and lied, while Jenny told the truth and was put into an institution. Abbie carried that guilt with her for her whole life, while Jenny carried anger and resentment.

When those two forces met, the story had so much depth and resonance - I honestly loved it. Abbie never tried to make excuses really for what she did, she just suffered it. Jenny's anger was justified, but seeing how she softened toward her sister was just amazing to watch.

That story gave Abbie and Jenny so much depth - and none of it felt plot driven at all - it was purely character driven, with the plots only there to give Abbie and Jenny a canvas to work through their issues... just so well done.

It also didn't take up a huge amount of time or take away from the show pacing... it fit in really seamlessly. Proof that it can be done.

I'd love more storytelling like that.

• Love 9

Abbie and Ichabod keep me watching and that includes their moments of disagreement, even when that results in interactions that could be described as disrespectful. I find the sum total is a dynamic that is very believable, highly entertaining and shows two people that have a genuine trust in each other, not blind trust, but the kind of trust people have when they see each other clearly. I love the way they both have a flair for portraying fierce attachment to other characters like Jenny and Irving. I love how most of the secondary characters bring a strong spark to smaller scenes  and are well capable of carrying larger moments.

• Love 8

Two things I loved from episodes I hated:

1. There's a moment in Deliverence that cracked me up. Abbie and Crane are fighting off the bad guys to get the aurora prism, and Abbie cracks one of the goons over the head with a metal tray. It was random and awesome, and I giggled like a loon.

2. The scary painter in last weeks episode legitimately scared me. The scene where he turns to look at The Cranes made me jump and swear to avoid old paintings.

I don't know where to post this.  I hope this is the right spot. 

I never got any impression Katrina was supposed to replace Abbie.  I've always been under the impression that Katrina was secretive and sneaky, and I believe the writers knew this as well, but that story was too long in coming and so the fanbase got pissed off waiting for the payoff and left.  I'm almost certain they are telegraphing Katrina as deceptive.  They may have overplayed their hand, trying to extend the mystery, but Katrina has never been showcased as a fan favorite, ever, nor did I expect she ever would be. 

I may not be a fan of anyone saying "Katrina was right" and I find it especially irksome when the appointed someone has to be Abbie but I have huge appreciation for the way she can turn that line into her own personal version of "I am Groot. I'm fairly certain that she puts a lot into her reading that is not on the page. I've heard different qualities in the way she'll deliver it; shade, a small concession before she moves onto the real issue, a kind gesture to an idiot.....

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 3

What I love about the show:

The humor.

The relationship between Abbie and Ichabod.

Tom Mison's face.

Yup, I'm easy to please.  Keep those aspects and I'll hang in there. 

All three of these things - So dead on!! Add in:

Jenny Mills

Historical Twistory (plus the flashbacks)

Ichabod snark/rants about the modern world.

Tom Mison's eyebrow.

Ichabod Crane's Rev War coat (I miss that coat).

• Love 1

Because you have one of the most crusty characters in TV land who complains about everything and anything, and then you get scenes like this:                                    /* Image under spoiler tags for page viewing and loading purposes */

tumblr_njylkowv381rjn473o2_500.gif

tumblr_njylkowv381rjn473o1_500.gif

• Love 7