Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Lisin

Small Talk: The Regency Bar

On 5/5/2020 at 2:51 AM, Happy Camper said:

I know that I am showing my age here, but this old memory just comes to mind:

Talking about memories, I just binged on two black n whites this afternoon on TCM .. Alice Adams and Saratoga Trunk.  They are real old, but I just love them.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Talking about memories, I just binged on two black n whites this afternoon on TCM .. Alice Adams and Saratoga Trunk.  They are real old, but I just love them.

Nothing better than the old black and whites. Tomorrow I'm going to watch "All About Eve'.  One of the best! Bette Davis ( Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride") and the unforgettable appearance of Marilyn (I don't want to make any trouble, all I want is a drink")

@film noire  Any other recommendations?

Edited by Happy Camper
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Happy Camper said:

Nothing better than the old black and whites. Tomorrow I'm going to watch "All About Eve'.  One of the best! Bette Davis ( Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride") and the unforgettable appearance of Marilyn (I don't want to make any trouble, all I want is a drink")

Bette Davis dancing in the Black gown with Henry Fonda in the ballroom just them two.  The best, lol.  One of her many Southern movies.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Silver Bells said:

Bette Davis dancing in the Black gown with Henry Fonda in the ballroom just them two.  The best, lol.  One of her many Southern movies.

Bette Davis, but then Kate Hepburn, Spencer Tracy. Good way to spend quarantine. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner at my place tomorrow right after All About Eve.

Edited by Happy Camper
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Happy Camper said:

Any other recommendations?

Now Voyager with Bette Davis or  Mildred Pierce with Joan Crawford. 

• Like 4

Love both those movies, @Mindthinkr . 

4 hours ago, Happy Camper said:

Bette Davis, but then Kate Hepburn, Spencer Tracy. Good way to spend quarantine. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner at my place tomorrow right after All About Eve.

A fantastic double feature, HC! Get out the Jiffy Pop & let's watch  "The Women" next!

the women - Copy.jpg

Edited by film noire
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, film noire said:

let's watch  "The Women" next!

Love that one, especially when they go to the ranch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Happy Camper said:

How about “Gaslight” and “Saratoga Trunk” and all Ingrid Bergman movies .. and All the “Thin Man” movies.  I have them all on my DVR.  “The Lady Eve” with Barbara Stanwick.  Shut me up.  One last one.  Lana Turner and Fernando Lamas .. dancing to “The Merry Widow” her in the white gown.  He was gorgeous!!!!  Ok, I’m done.  I’m a romantic, lol.

• Like 6

The Women, Dark Victory, Mildred Pierce, Now Voyager, Stage Door, Kitty Foyle...any Fred and Ginger movie, I have such happy memories watching these and more with my mother. That was her era and everyone looked so elegant, great suits for women, hat and gloves, the men had class and manners, le sigh.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

The Women, Dark Victory, Mildred Pierce, Now Voyager, Stage Door, Kitty Foyle...any Fred and Ginger movie, I have such happy memories watching these and more with my mother. That was her era and everyone looked so elegant, great suits for women, hat and gloves, the men had class and manners, le sigh.

I have “Flying Down to Rio” with Delores Del Rio on a tape.  The music/dance scene was what Otto Preminger decided to become a Director, or something to that affect.  Amazing dance number.  I love Ginger Rogers also and Fred Astaire of course.  She was the best dancer I ever saw.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

I love Ginger Rogers also and Fred Astaire of course.  She was the best dancer I ever saw.

She was amazing - backwards and in heels!  - this is one of my favourite Astaire/Rogers dance numbers (from Swing Time).  Everything about it is so compelling -  the lighting (the set gleams as if lit by moonlight) the slow build, the music, their dancing, her dress - like a dream. 

Edited by film noire
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, film noire said:

She was amazing - backwards and in heels!  - this is one of my favourite Astaire/Rogers dance numbers (from Swing Time).  Everything about it is so compelling -  the lighting (the set gleams as if lit by moonlight) the slow build, the music, their dancing, her dress - like a dream. 

How about “Heaven” from the picture Top Hat.  She had on a white dress with feathers all over it that flew around while she was dancing.  It’s amazing on U-Tube.

Beautiful !  How about the number with her in the white dress that had all the feathers all over it that flew around while she was dancing?  I think it was “Dancing in the Dark”.   Sorry, it was “Heaven” from “Top Hat”.  Just looked on u tube.

Edited by Silver Bells · Reason: Double post. Got a phone call in between.
  • Like 3

We all have relatives and friends who have lost their spouse. And some of the posters here have shared that they have lost their spouse. My sincere sympathy to everyone who has gone through such a terrible loss.

However, of all the friends and relatives I have who have lost spouses, no one - not one - has treated people the way Dorinda does. And not to make comparisons, but my mom lost the love of her life (my dad) unexpectedly after 45 years of marriage. Over the next 11 years (not much different than the time Dorinda has been a widow) she developed breast cancer twice, suffered a stroke where she lost her ability to speak, developed other illnesses including seizure disorder, and died of pancreatic cancer. She lived those last 11 years with grace, kindness, and dignity. Because that is who she was.  Dorinda is a mean person because that is who she is. 

I wish there was a way to give extra or more intense hearts for this, @UsernameFatigue. What a beautiful tribute to your mother. For what it's worth, my sincere condolences.

This hits me a little hard because my aunt died a few weeks ago; we ended up attending her burial over Zoom. She had ongoing troubles with colon cancer and was a pillar of strength after each surgery, but this time, the cancer was in her liver and it was too much. She was given a few months to live, but then the pandemic happened and she was isolated at the nursing home. I can't prove it, but I think the isolation--specifically not being able to see her husband, son, or grandsons--was a step too far for her spirit. The last thing she said to me was that she was so glad to see that I was recovering from MY cancer struggles and that she had been praying for me. As you said, you can tell a lot about who people really are if they use their hardships to be kind to others or as an excuse to tear others down.

• Like 8
  • Sad 3

So, no word from WalnutQueen to anybody?  I sent a PM over a week ago, and no reply.  Sigh.  If anybody finds out anything, please let us know.  She always has such great posts in these forums whether it's about the shows or about her animals.  

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

I wish there was a way to give extra or more intense hearts for this, @UsernameFatigue. What a beautiful tribute to your mother. For what it's worth, my sincere condolences.

This hits me a little hard because my aunt died a few weeks ago; we ended up attending her burial over Zoom. She had ongoing troubles with colon cancer and was a pillar of strength after each surgery, but this time, the cancer was in her liver and it was too much. She was given a few months to live, but then the pandemic happened and she was isolated at the nursing home. I can't prove it, but I think the isolation--specifically not being able to see her husband, son, or grandsons--was a step too far for her spirit. The last thing she said to me was that she was so glad to see that I was recovering from MY cancer struggles and that she had been praying for me. As you said, you can tell a lot about who people really are if they use their hardships to be kind to others or as an excuse to tear others down.

Thank you, VANDERBOOM. That was very sweet of you to post. My sincere condolences to you on the loss of your aunt. I feel so bad for both people who are hospitalized at this time an unable to see loved ones, and the stress that causes for loved ones. Your aunt sounds like she was a very sweet person. Also sending you healing vibes as you recover from cancer. It must be hard to see Dorinda whine, with what you have been dealing with! 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, ChitChat said:

So, no word from WalnutQueen to anybody?  I sent a PM over a week ago, and no reply.  Sigh.  If anybody finds out anything, please let us know.  She always has such great posts in these forums whether it's about the shows or about her animals.  

I don't think I have visited this thread before, but it is interesting that posters here are wondering about WalnutQueen. A few of us in the Dateline forum have been wondering about her as well. I sent her a PM three months ago and have never had a reply. I hope she is OK - so many of us miss her posts! 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

A few of us in the Dateline forum have been wondering about her as well. I sent her a PM three months ago and have never had a reply.

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not usually on the Small Talk forums, but it dawned on me a couple of weeks ago that I hadn't seen her post in the HWs thread, so I looked to see when & where she last posted, and it appeared to be in these forums.  Even though we're all scattered about and don't know each other personally, it does feel like we know each other to some extent after reading each other's posts for many years now.  Many of us came over here from TWoP, so we have been posting a long time!  I sent her a PM about 2 weeks ago, but no response either.  I worry for her and her animals.  

• Like 5

On 5/16/2020 at 9:19 AM, ChitChat said:

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not usually on the Small Talk forums, but it dawned on me a couple of weeks ago that I hadn't seen her post in the HWs thread, so I looked to see when & where she last posted, and it appeared to be in these forums.  Even though we're all scattered about and don't know each other personally, it does feel like we know each other to some extent after reading each other's posts for many years now.  Many of us came over here from TWoP, so we have been posting a long time!  I sent her a PM about 2 weeks ago, but no response either.  I worry for her and her animals.  

I just came here to ask if anyone has heard from Walnut Queen or Reality Police. I am worried about them.

We had a raccoon on our deck eating the out of the “feral” cats food bowls and made me think of Walnut Queen all the more.

• Like 6

On 5/16/2020 at 9:19 AM, ChitChat said:

Many of us came over here from TWoP, so we have been posting a long time! 

Don’t forget Mighty Big TV!

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I just came here to ask if anyone has heard from Walnut Queen or Reality Police. I am worried about them.

We had a raccoon on our deck eating the out of the “feral” cats food bowls and made me think of Walnut Queen all the more.

Last time I was on the PM with her, it was Nov. 30th and she was helping me with my technical t.v. Problem, as usual.  She is good like that.  Sometimes in life, there is a glitch, and you just want to take a break from everything, and that’s o.k.  I hope that’s all it is, and she comes back soon.  She’s so popular after all.  Everyone loves her as she is caring, a helper and a sweetheart.  Reality was getting better in the hospital last I spoke with her.  Then, nothing.

• Like 7

One of my favorite weight-related Corona memes. (Forgive if I've already posted it - mind is a vapid wasteland these days.) 

corona weight gain meme.jpg

• Like 2
  • Laugh 5

12 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

One of my favorite weight-related Corona memes. (Forgive if I've already posted it - mind is a vapid wasteland these days.) 

corona weight gain meme.jpg

No, but really.  This is how bad it’s gotten. 

For the first time in a very long time, I’ve actually contemplated exercising to lose weight.  And the only activity I would really choose is bike riding.  But good luck trying to find a inexpensive bicycle right now.  Out of stock every where!  😫

I also bought a scale today.  But that’s more for my son who is having virtual visits with his psych and we need to monitor his height and weight for med purposes.  

• Like 4

It always seemed pretty apparent that his dog never got proper training.  So sad for that animal.  My daughter & s-i-l got a beagle puppy when the twins were only about 2 yrs old (derp), and he snapped at my grandson I think twice before they made the stellar observation that he wasn't the right dog for their family.  Beagles can be tricky.

• Sad 3

16 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

It always seemed pretty apparent that his dog never got proper training.  So sad for that animal.  My daughter & s-i-l got a beagle puppy when the twins were only about 2 yrs old (derp), and he snapped at my grandson I think twice before they made the stellar observation that he wasn't the right dog for their family.  Beagles can be tricky.

He used to think it was amusing when Wacha snapped at guests on WWHL or people that came to his home. Not so funny now.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Happy Camper said:

He used to think it was amusing when Wacha snapped at guests on WWHL or people that came to his home. Not so funny now.

Exactly.  And now a dog loses his home of 7 years because his human was an idiot.

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

On 5/22/2020 at 9:21 PM, geauxaway said:

No, but really.  This is how bad it’s gotten. 

For the first time in a very long time, I’ve actually contemplated exercising to lose weight.  And the only activity I would really choose is bike riding.  But good luck trying to find a inexpensive bicycle right now.  Out of stock every where!  😫

I also bought a scale today.  But that’s more for my son who is having virtual visits with his psych and we need to monitor his height and weight for med purposes.  

I hope he is doing better.  Can’t get a bike anywhere around here.  Maybe you can order on line?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

I hope he is doing better.  Can’t get a bike anywhere around here.  Maybe you can order on line?

I’m going to try to shop around some more here now that maybe places have had a chance to re-stock.  I am a huge online shopper but it’s been so long since I’ve owned or ridden a bike I really feel like I need to sit on it etc to make sure it’s a good fit.  Most especially the seat (I’m looking for the biggest grannie seat ever, I have a very bony bottom). 

The good news is that if things stay on track, the kids are expected to start back at the school summer program (child care) and summer school on 7/6.  He just needs to get back to structure and socialization.  Our playgrounds reopened last week so he was super excited about that.  Our HOA pool is open now too.  We are getting there!  Or at least getting better.  Now I just need to be able to see my mom who lives in another state.  🙏🏼

• Like 5

I’ve been watching the Jeffrey Epstein documentary on Netflix, which is pretty nauseating, but I have to say it does give a really nice summary of the difference between Palm Beach and West Palm Bech.

• Like 2

Just turned it on (west coast). She just said she wanted to make a go of it with her babydaddy. Granted, this was 10 years ago, but she still seems rather attached to him.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 7:16 AM, Happy Camper said:

I just recorded “The Women” this afternoon.  I’ll have something to watch after tonight’s housewives disaster.  Lol.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

I just recorded “The Women” this afternoon.  I’ll have something to watch after tonight’s housewives disaster.  Lol.

Thanks for reminding me that I own that on iTunes.  Might have to be my pool side entertainment tomorrow.  Friday off of work!  Can’t wait to have some sun and fun.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2020 at 3:21 PM, ladle said:

I’ve been watching the Jeffrey Epstein documentary on Netflix, which is pretty nauseating, but I have to say it does give a really nice summary of the difference between Palm Beach and West Palm Bech.

I though the documentary was really well done,p. It was beyond nauseating. I knew a lot of the facts but hearing those women share their stories of what happened to them was beyond brave and inspiring and there are probably at least 100 more out there.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Anyone know how Tinsley is doing?

She's been fairly quiet on social media, mostly posting promotional stuff.  Still with Scott in Chicago.  That's about all I can report.

• Like 4

I’m repeating myself AGAIN, but for anyone who loves black n white old movies, watch “Saratoga Trunk” starring Ingrid Bergman and Gary Cooper.  I’ve watched about five times in 2 weeks.  It’s got love, laughs and New Orleans and Saratoga, N.Y., plus 2 gorgeous funny stars in it.  It’s really delightful.  Maybe your library has it.  I taped it from TCM.  I’m picking up trashy “Pretty Mess” by Erika Jane from the library.  Have to hear how she hooked Tom, lol., plus I’m desperate.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

I think it's pretty misogynistic to refer to the Housewives as Ho'wives or Hos. Ho is a sexist slur meaning prostitute, whore, hooker, tramp or slut (according to Urban Dictionary). Sure some cast members are more sexually free than others, but isn't that their business? It's not funny.

6 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

I’m repeating myself AGAIN, but for anyone who loves black n white old movies, watch “Saratoga Trunk” starring Ingrid Bergman and Gary Cooper.  I’ve watched about five times in 2 weeks.  It’s got love, laughs and New Orleans and Saratoga, N.Y., plus 2 gorgeous funny stars in it.  It’s really delightful.  Maybe your library has it.  I taped it from TCM.  I’m picking up trashy “Pretty Mess” by Erika Jane from the library.  Have to hear how she hooked Tom, lol., plus I’m desperate.

I love the Thin Man series (already did a rewatch during this pandemic), anything Katharine Hepburn, and old musicals (in color for the last, but still).

• Like 6

12 hours ago, OnceSane said:

I love the Thin Man series (already did a rewatch during this pandemic), anything Katharine Hepburn, and old musicals (in color for the last, but still).

I have all Thin Man on my DVR, plus “Alice Adams” with Katherine Hepburn & Fred McMurry.  There’s something about black n white.  In the old movies, the gowns, suits and the way they dressed was amazing, and the hats, lol.  Thank God for Turner Classics.  My kids laugh.

• Like 4

This virus situation is killing me.  As a result, I have two new friends .. HSN and QVC.  I’ve bought three pairs of shoes in the last two weeks.  Good thing I do the bills, hahaha.   How do I get rid of this typo on the I pad?

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 8:31 AM, Silver Bells said:

I have all Thin Man on my DVR, plus “Alice Adams” with Katherine Hepburn & Fred McMurry.  There’s something about black n white.  In the old movies, the gowns, suits and the way they dressed was amazing, and the hats, lol.  Thank God for Turner Classics.  My kids laugh.

There was this phenomenal new deal theater in norcal that I watched all the thin man movies in. In plush seating with a live piano/organ (can't remember which) player even once. It was awesome. I felt very glamorous.

Edited by ShawnaLanne
  • Like 5

On 6/25/2020 at 8:45 PM, OnceSane said:

anything Katharine Hepburn

amen (even my least favourite of hepburn's hairstyles still suits her).

hepburn jeans.jpg

Edited by film noire
  • Like 5

UO here but I have never liked Katherine Hepburn. I adore all of the ladies, the ones who were the stars of that era, the ones who seemed to be supporting actresses in many, many movies, the one offs, just about everyone from that glorious time of black and white movies and going into the fifties, sixties, seventies and beyond, but I do I full body shiver when I read the guide and it is Katherine Hepburn from any era. She just irks the hell out of me. I don't find her or any of her characters at all fascinating. 

• Like 6