Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Regency Bar

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Greta Garbo's apartment just sold for $8.5 million, largely unchanged from how it was when she was alive. It's got the bold color scheme of Bluestone Manor (Dorinda's Berkshires place) with the design acumen of Carole's place. It's gorgeous.

https://pictorial.jezebel.com/greta-garbos-apartment-looks-goddamn-incredible-1821808589

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/3/22/15028418/greta-garbo-nyc-apartment-for-sale-campanile

I love The Campanile -- beautiful building - and that apartment is gorgeous: I'd be near-willing to live in this hallway alone (all that space/crown molding/ venetian crystal/original wood flooring for just for a connecting corridor).

hallway.jpg

Edited by film noire
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

@film noire Wow. That's some video with Mitzi Gaynor. Do you have any idea how old she was when she did it? She looks great. Thank you for sharing. 

She was 43, MindThinkr -- and her body is KILLER.

This is an interesting article about her one woman show (back in 2013).  I'd love to have a few "big marts" with the woman :)

"WILMINGTON, Del. -- There's tea at the Green Room in the Hotel du Pont. And then there's tea at the Green Room in the Hotel du Pont with Mitzi Gaynor imitating the way the Duchess of Windsor talked. In her rendition, it's remarkably similar to a nasally wide-mouthed frog and is, in a word, hilarious.

At the same time, there's not a mean thing about it. The star of There's No Business Like Show Business and South Pacific is merely trying to capture the moment she's describing with Broadway belter Ethel Merman goading Mitzi to dance with the "little duke" – Merman's exact words – at El Moroco, and the duchess encouraging her husband, "David, do dance with Mitzi."

Later, a friend calls to tell Gaynor that the Duke and the Duchess will be in town and would like to have dinner at Gaynor's house. There's little time to plan dinner, Gaynor tells her friend. Oh, they'll eat anything, the friend tells Gaynor.

She makes them meatloaf. And "big marts" – martinis, which go fast.

That's just the tiniest taste of the buffet that Gaynor serves in her one-woman show, Mitzi ... Razzle Dazzle! My Life Behind the Sequins.

And while the show is loaded with name-dropping – Howard Hughes, Gene Kelly, Marilyn Monroe – it's grounded in her 52-year marriage to Hollywood producer Jack Bean, and the loss she still feels at his death from heart troubles in 2006. (She continues to wear her wedding ring, and his is attached to a bracelet tucked under her jacket sleeve.)"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2013/02/19/mitzi-gaynor-stage-tour/1931419/

• Love 3

@film noire That was a wonderful article about Mitzi. Dang she looks good, better than a lot of people half her age! I'm going to ferret out her show as I'd be willing to travel to see it. If you get a table for Big Marts please save a seat for me. I'll do the same for you. I bet she's a hoot to be with. Thanks for the article. Think I'll do a rewatch of South Pacific. 

• Love 2
On 1/9/2018 at 3:37 AM, film noire said:

...because Ginger would have taught these housewives a lesson or two (the pig latin alone!)

Thanks, I enjoyed that! The pig latin was ... Well, it sure was something!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, link417 said:

Thanks, I enjoyed that! The pig latin was ... Well, it sure was something!

It's so weird  -- I love it - here's the tale behind the tune:

"“When we were making ‘Gold Diggers of 1933, I was on stage, rehearsing my song, ‘We’re in the Money.’ Everybody left for a break. The pianist stayed to help me make sure I had it. We were having fun and we got to laughing. I told him I knew it so well, I could sing it backwards. So I started singing it in Pig Latin.

“Someone entered the hall...It was a man with a hat and a big cigar - Mr. Zanuck. He said, ‘What are you doing, Ginger?’ ‘I’m going over my song for tomorrow.’ ‘What is that? Pig Latin?’ ‘Just kidding, Mr. Zanuck.’ ‘I want to hear it. Do it for a minute.’ 

“When it was over, there was a big silence. Finally, Mr. Zanuck took the cigar out of his mouth and said, ‘I want you to sing it just like that in the film.’"

http://popcultureclassics.com/ginger_rogers.html

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

@film noire  My personal favorite photo of Andy Warhol is one with him and the artist Salvatore Dali. I'm not good at posting links or pictures or I'd give you a glimpse.

Describe it to me, and I'll find it online and post it : )

Until then....

dali.jpg

The pictures that you post are lovely. Keep them coming. 

So glad you're enjoying them!  So many fascinating images (especially of women) in NYC history -- might be a fun game to list who we'd cast in an all-decades -- 1700 to now --  version of the show ; )

Edited by film noire
  • Love 6

It's one of them sitting pretty closely...Dali kissing Warhol by Christopher Makos. I can google it but can't post it. I just always loved it. I know someone who worked with Warhol (a fellow artist/photographer) and have heard many stories. What a duo! Also the story of Dali having pet Ocelots in his NYC hotel room. I don't  think it's appropriate to post it here but I'll get back to you on that one by PM later or tomorrow as I'm going out for Thai food tonight. That story landed me an original Dali that hangs in my bedroom!! 

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

It's one of them sitting pretty closely...Dali kissing Warhol by Christopher Makos. I can google it but can't post it. I just always loved it. I know someone who worked with Warhol (a fellow artist/photographer) and have heard many stories. What a duo! Also the story of Dali having pet Ocelots in his NYC hotel room. I don't  think it's appropriate to post it here but I'll get back to you on that one by PM later or tomorrow as I'm going out for Thai food tonight. That story landed me an original Dali that hangs in my bedroom!! 

I just googled "Dali kissing Warhol".

Delicious! Thanks, Mindthinkr!

And don't even get me started about Edie! Tragic!

Edited by Happy Camper
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Also the story of Dali having pet Ocelots in his NYC hotel room. 

Ocelots? (Makes perfect sense for him, actually -- he's The Dali Drama!)

I don't  think it's appropriate to post it here but I'll get back to you on that one by PM later or tomorrow as I'm going out for Thai food tonight. That story landed me an original Dali that hangs in my bedroom!! 

Enjoy dinner! (An original Dali? I am green with envy; )

dali 2.jpg

• Love 4

...speaking of Truman ; )

Candy Bergen at Capote's Black and White Ball, in honor of Kay Graham, at The Plaza, 1966.  (I love this photo; her expression  - so somewhere else, so not in the moment with whomever she's dancing with  -- and that almost-sinister rabbit mask in her hand.)

candy bergen.jpg

Edited by film noire
  • Love 6

@film noire  Thank you for posting my favorite Dali/Warhol photo. I have a small print of it somewhere around (not really finished moving in and haven't gotten to all the photos and art) the house. I used to keep it on my refrigerator just because it's so pleasing to me. 

P.S. I tried to PM you the story but it states that you cannot receive PM's. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Added a P.S.
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

@film noire  Thank you for posting my favorite Dali/Warhol photo. I have a small print of it somewhere around (not really finished moving in and haven't gotten to all the photos and art) the house. I used to keep it on my refrigerator just because it's so pleasing to me. 

It's a great photo - I'd enver seen it, so thanks for bringing it to my atteniton.

P.S. I tried to PM you the story but it states that you cannot receive PM's. 

Really? That's very odd -- let me go check my settings!

• Love 1

@film noire I liked seeing the photos of the couples who met on Tinder. It was interesting how comfortable they all seemed to be with each other so quickly. Do you think that this was due in fact to there being a photographer there assuring safety? It also makes me ponder that the newer generation are going back to a 1960’s “free love” attitudes about sex and sexuality. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

. It was interesting how comfortable they all seemed to be with each other so quickly. 

The woman in the photos is the photographer (sorry I was so unclear!)  so she shaped/controlled the whole thing. (But your question made me wonder if she had someone there to assure her safety, since she went to their homes.) 

It also makes me ponder that the newer generation are going back to a 1960’s “free love” attitudes about sex and sexuality. 

You know, they might --  they're the most open generation as to sexual choices (including being asexual) so they've got that in play --  free love + netflix :)

I also think it's fascinating how willing they all were to mimic intimacy and the rituals of long-time coupling, while being reached through Tinder. The dissonance in that is so interesting to me.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 1
On 1/19/2018 at 6:06 PM, Happy Camper said:

And then we have our dear little Truman who outed all of the housewives (Swans) in Answered Prayers. He was the Andy Cohen of old New York. 

Oh MY GOD he so was. That's perfect. The one distinction is like to make is that Capote was actually talented in his own right,  with his writing,  God that man could write, and Andy is talented at kissing ass. 

• Love 4