Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Regency Bar

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

@SuprSuprElevated .. OMG, I just made the Giaherdelli brownies for the first time.  It’s like cake and a candy bar in one .. so chewy and so chocolately. Unbelievable.  Walnut Queen is probably smelling them from here.  I’d have to UPS them. Lol.

Did you bake them by the recipe on the box or did you wing it? I need to know because I cannot make box brownies come out right no matter.  I can make the Betty Crocker wedding cookbook (c.1970) ones like a champ, but that takes too much time these days. 

Also what size pan did you use and what kind? Glass or metal?  Dark non stick or????

Edited by geauxaway
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

Did you bake them by the recipe on the box or did you wing it? I need to know because I cannot make box brownies come out right no matter.  I can make the Betty Crocker wedding cookbook (c.1970) ones like a champ, but that takes to much time these days. 

Also what size pan did you use and what kind? Glass or metal?  Dark non stick or????

Don't know what @Gem 10 did but I'll give you my one trick. Anytime I make brownies or bars of any kind I always tightly cover the pan with foil when they come out of the oven until cool. Sometimes when you bake a 13x9 pan the edges get hard if you get the center done. This will steam the edges so they are chewy and delicious. Enjoy. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Reality police said:

You all are killing me. I will have to make brownies tomorrow. Talking about liquid fudge, anybody out there make homemade Hershey's chocolate sauce? If you haven't, you need to. Omg! Easy to make. 

I have recently discovered Ghiradelli chocolate sauce, in bottle form, on my local grocery shelf.  I'm not convinced that it's better tasting than Hershey's, but the spout/delivery system is miles better.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Reality police said:

You all are killing me. I will have to make brownies tomorrow. Talking about liquid fudge, anybody out there make homemade Hershey's chocolate sauce? If you haven't, you need to. Omg! Easy to make. 

Yeah, that’s all I need.  I’ve gained five lbs since eating this crap.  It calls me from the kitchen.  I’ll have to wear black all summer to hide the fat.  And forget about going in the pool, lol.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Did you bake them by the recipe on the box or did you wing it? I need to know because I cannot make box brownies come out right no matter.  I can make the Betty Crocker wedding cookbook (c.1970) ones like a champ, but that takes too much time these days. 

By the box.  1/4 cup water,  1/4 cup Wesson oil, 1 egg, mix all together, then add the package of liquid chocolate and mix some more.  I used a round orange copper no stick pan, sprayed cooking oil in pan, baked in my huge toaster oven top rack 325 degrees for 40 minutes.  The husband said “ too good”.     Takes five minutes to make .. I mix by hand with a fork.  Too easy.  Don’t blame me, blame @ suprsuprelevated when gaining weight. Lol.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I dictate my grocery list audibly to Alexa.  That feature alone makes it worth having a 24/7 Jeff Bezos spy machine taking up residence in my living room.

Good idea .. instead of having a million grocery lists all over the place.  The husband threw me over for Alexa.  He just loves her.  She gives him the scores of every game imaginable every morning.  I’m toast now.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

By the box.  1/4 cup water,  1/4 cup Wesson oil, 1 egg, mix all together, then add the package of liquid chocolate and mix some more.  I used a round orange copper no stick pan, sprayed cooking oil in pan, baked in my huge toaster oven top rack 325 degrees for 40 minutes.  The husband said “ too good”.     Takes five minutes to make .. I mix by hand with a fork.  Too easy.  Don’t blame me, blame @ suprsuprelevated when gaining weight. Lol.

Thx!

on another note, I had to try on some new swim bottoms yesterday in anticipation of our spring break trip this week.  Ughhhh! I quit smoking 6 months ago and have gained sooooo much weight.  I keep telling myself it will even out eventually, but I’m not looking forward to summer.  My ass and legs look horrible!  Of course the ghostly white non tan skin doesn’t help matters either.  😫

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

My shoulders; they're broad.

11 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

My ass and legs look horrible!

But my dear, your lungs look fabulous!

• Love 7
1 minute ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

My shoulders; they're broad.

But my dear, your lungs look fabulous!

I know.  And my pocketbook is happy, too!  But I’m not gonna lie, I feel like shit most the time and thought I’d see more benefits by now.  I still can’t really smell, which I was looking forward to for some reason. But hey, at least I can fall asleep at night without feeling like I’m on the verge of having a heart attack.   😍

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

I know.  And my pocketbook is happy, too!  But I’m not gonna lie, I feel like shit most the time and thought I’d see more benefits by now.  I still can’t really smell, which I was looking forward to for some reason. But hey, at least I can fall asleep at night without feeling like I’m on the verge of having a heart attack.   😍

I had been smoking for 29 years when I quit.  I never really noticed an improved sense of taste or smell, both of which were widely discussed as a benefit.  I did however, notice that I needed to continue to back up when attempting to view myself in a narrow full-length mirror for the subsequent months and years.  All told, I gained nearly 100 lbs. after quitting (I was on the plus size of "normal" before I quit).  I have lost 30 of those, and I'm sure that I will duplicate that feat at least.  If I remain 40 lbs. heavier than I was while a smoker, I'm certain that I'll be on the right side of it still.

I do however, undoubtedly feel better.  I had to hack up a half a lung every morning just to get started, and I now hardly even have to clear my throat.  I no longer repulse my friends and family from the smell (which I of course was blissfully unaware of while smoking).  While it was a COPD diagnosis that prompted me to quit, I am at this point (13 years later) completely asymptomatic, and I'm certain that I would be toting an oxygen tank had I not quit.

All-in-all, I'll take cottage cheese thighs over black lungs every.damn.day.

Best wishes to you in your continued success as a former smoker!

eta - Don't let my 100 lbs scare you.  I attribute the far bulk of that to be from lazyness and a sense of entitlement, that I "deserved" everything I shoveled into my mouth, because I quite smoking you know.  As long as you are mindful of what you eat, and that you allow little slips, you'll be fine.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 9
50 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I had been smoking for 29 years when I quit.  I never really noticed an improved sense of taste or smell, both of which were widely discussed as a benefit.  I did however, notice that I needed to continue to back up when attempting to view myself in a narrow full-length mirror for the subsequent months and years.  All told, I gained nearly 100 lbs. after quitting (I was on the plus size of "normal" before I quit).  I have lost 30 of those, and I'm sure that I will duplicate that feat at least.  If I remain 40 lbs. heavier than I was while a smoker, I'm certain that I'll be on the right side of it still.

I do however, undoubtedly feel better.  I had to hack up a half a lung every morning just to get started, and I now hardly even have to clear my throat.  I no longer repulse my friends and family from the smell (which I of course was blissfully unaware of while smoking).  While it was a COPD diagnosis that prompted me to quit, I am at this point (13 years later) completely asymptomatic, and I'm certain that I would be toting an oxygen tank had I not quit.

eta - Don't let my 100 lbs scare you.  I attribute the far bulk of that to be from lazyness and a sense of entitlement, that I "deserved" everything I shoveled into my mouth, because I quite smoking you know.  As long as you are mindful of what you eat, and that you allow little slips, you'll be fine.

Good for you.  I stopped smoking 20 yrs ago.  I had to smoke every time I got on the phone with my girlfriends or whoever.  $11 a pack .. ridiculous.  While we’re on the subject of all things, I love bread.  A roll in the morning or rye bread toasted with my coffee.  How do I get rid of the stomach flab?  Don’t tell me exercise or walking as I have spine issues and can’t anymore.  Is bread the killer?  Do I have to give up bread all together.  I know I can’t eat brownies.  But bread?  Weight Watchers was the best, I know, but I just can’t face that shit right now.  How do I get the stomach down?  I’m not putting on a bathing suit.    My ass and legs are o.k.  It’s the stomach.  Is it bread?  I don’t think the husband saw me naked in years.  He would be flabbergasted and run away, but he’s no bargain either, haha.  He never complains, tho.  Maybe in his mind he thinks I’m still svelte in the dark, and I’ll think he still has a good head of hair. Lol.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Thank you!  I’m still in that stuffing my face because I quit smoking and “deserve” it phase.   It’s been a long winter, which hey turns out was another benefit of quitting because I don’t have to stand outside and freeze my ass off 10+ times a day.   I was never one to snack AT ALL, and now I sit at my desk and graze on junk all day.  Oh well....summer is around the corner and I should be more active once I’m able to get out of this house.  

I’ve also noticed that I am thirsty ALL THE TIME.  Never was much of a water drinker but lately I cannot get enough hydration.

@Gem 10 I don’t know much about that kind of stuff but it does seem logical that it’s the bread.  My big downfall personally is pasta.  I cannot quit it!  

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

Thank you!  I’m still in that stuffing my face because I quit smoking and “deserve” it phase.   It’s been a long winter, which hey turns out was another benefit of quitting because I don’t have to stand outside and freeze my ass off 10+ times a day.   I was never one to snack AT ALL, and now I sit at my desk and graze on junk all day.  Oh well....summer is around the corner and I should be more active once I’m able to get out of this house.  

I’ve also noticed that I am thirsty ALL THE TIME.  Never was much of a water drinker but lately I cannot get enough hydration.

@Gem 10 I don’t know much about that kind of stuff but it does seem logical that it’s the bread.  My big downfall personally is pasta.  I cannot quit it!  

Just made a big pot of spaghetti & meatballs.  Married to an Italian you know.  Plus, he has to have Italian bread, which I don’t eat.  I had a brownie instead, lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, geauxaway said:

... Ughhhh! I quit smoking 6 months ago and have gained sooooo much weight.  I keep telling myself it will even out eventually, but I’m not looking forward to summer.  My ass and legs look horrible!  Of course the ghostly white non tan skin doesn’t help matters either.  😫

First of all, CONGRATS !!!!

And an advice, from a Swiss 50 y.o. woman, who is quite always horrified regarding US eating habits / cooking / etc... : try to eat the least processed / transformed food ! Because it's not only the calories you eat that matters, but MOSTLY, the QUALITY of those. Cookies ? Yes. But not from a box. Use flour, eggs, REAL chocolate -so with cocoa butter in it, not soja or palm oil- etc.

I'm not lecturing you at all, but I'm sometimes saddened when I read certains posts here, regarding weight, health, because I'm FAR from a "good eating, happy life !" guruNazi (+ I smoke AND drink beer daily), but a LOT of the weight struggles I read here could be lessened by cooking healthy organic food, using real butter (it's a good source of vitamin A and not something which will be a killer for your heart and blood vessels) instead of any other substitute, virgin olive oil and not an OGM soya or peanut oil, cooking vegetables with steam instead of boiling or frying them... Less salt, less oil, less sugar...

Once again, I really don't intend to be judgy or anything like that, and I'm also ready to help in case of need 💕

ETA : FYI, 20 cigarettes a day = 200KCal "burnt" by your body in the process... Knowing that 1kg (sorry, we speak in Kgs here, so it's around 2 pounds) = ~8000 - 10000 additional calories, it means that if you don't change anything to your calories intake, you WILL gain weight, as in 1kg in 1.5 month ! #frustration #notRewarding

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Not for anything, but I just CANNOT watch Beverly Hills any more, not that I was ever into them in the first place.  They are too rich, too full of themselves, and God forbid never without makeup and REAL.  Give me N.Y. Any day, every day I wish.  That Dorit with the Australian accent.  What a joke.  She’s from Connecticut.

• Love 1
On 3/10/2019 at 12:55 PM, geauxaway said:

I quit smoking 6 months ago

fireworks 2.gif

Congrats on joining the club!

Pat yourself on the back for quitting,  every day  (When you're no longer smoking -- and instead dealing with the weight gain and lack of nicotine energy and mood changes - it's so easy to forget the initial achievement). 

And (for what it's worth) it helped me -- during periods of fat frustration -- to remember that you can always lose weight, but you can't gain a new body.  

Edited by film noire
  • Love 6

Smoking, eating, smoking,eating.  All the pleasures in life, gone.  Thank goodness I have my t.v.  Now, if they would put something good on.  Thanks to you fine people, I now have Netflix and a firestick.  Now to navigate everything and learn what’s good.  There’s a lot to choose from.  If I keep making brownies and sitting in the recliner, I won’t be able to fit thru the door.  I’ll have to join Dorinda’s new exercise class in the city.  Lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I’m feeling down today, so I rewatched Scary Island....my god, those were the days.  Alex was so awkward and Kelly is a fruitcake.  Bethenny’s TH’s are gold though....including her pregnant jaw.  😂

Now I’m watching the 2017 reunion.....Dorinda has been a bitch since she came on the show.   The only thing I like about her are her Christmas decorations.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

I’m feeling down today, so I rewatched Scary Island....my god, those were the days.  Alex was so awkward and Kelly is a fruitcake.  Bethenny’s TH’s are gold though....including her pregnant jaw.  😂

Now I’m watching the 2017 reunion.....Dorinda has been a bitch since she came on the show.   The only thing I like about her are her Christmas decorations.

I agree with everything except the Christmas decorations.

Tacky Christmas threw up in that house.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ButterQueen said:

I love tacky Christmas decorations....especially as the backdrop for the NY ladies.

I should send you the Awful Purple Angel that my aunt gave me. That's her name, 12 inches of purple gaudyness. It hasn't seen the light of day since I first opened it one Christmas Day about 15 years ago. Her resin face looked like it was in sheer agony, not ecstasy, agony.

I threaten to give it to my niece.

To this day I don't know why my aunt gave it to me. I should be wondering why I still have it somewhere. 

Edited by Giselle
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, Giselle said:

I should send you the Awful Purple Angel that my aunt gave me. That's her name, 12 inches of purple gaudyness. It hasn't seen the light of day since I first opened it one Christmas Day about 15 years ago. Her resin face looked like it was in sheer agony, not ecstasy, agony.

I threaten to give it to my niece.

To this day I don't know why my aunt gave it to me. I should be wondering why I still have it somewhere. 

You need to pull it out at Christmas in honor of the NY ladies.  😬

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Sounds like something that could be found in Sonja's dishwasher.

(sorry, G - I couldn't resist!).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

My tummy hurts.

32 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

You need to pull it out at Christmas in honor of the NY ladies.  😬

I should send it to Dorinda! We know she'll put it out.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 3/10/2019 at 5:08 AM, Reality police said:

Don't know what @Gem 10 did but I'll give you my one trick. Anytime I make brownies or bars of any kind I always tightly cover the pan with foil when they come out of the oven until cool. Sometimes when you bake a 13x9 pan the edges get hard if you get the center done. This will steam the edges so they are chewy and delicious. Enjoy. 

Thanks for that tip,  Funny, I made Ghiradelli brownies last night, to make myself feel better since I’m down with my second cold in 2 weeks.  

Did you know Costco sells the brownie mix?  6 smaller packets so you don’t have to make a ton at a time (one packet for a 9x9 pan).  Package says triple chocolate but no liquid chocolate.

• Love 3
On 3/15/2019 at 11:54 AM, JennyMominFL said:

I just bought a pair of SkinnyGirl Jeans. She was on HSN last noght and I couldnt help myself

I’m curious to know how comfy they are!  And how “branded” they are.  Please report back, if you don’t mind.  I keep getting ads for the spanx jeans on my FB and they look super cute and I am so tempted to buy them.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

I’m curious to know how comfy they are!  And how “branded” they are.  Please report back, if you don’t mind.  I keep getting ads for the spanx jeans on my FB and they look super cute and I am so tempted to buy them.  

I’ll post back here when they arrive. I got a peachy/pink skinny jean. They were om sale and I can return them, so it was a good time to try them

• Love 3

This from Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BravoRealHousewives/comments/b2jbea/anyone_have_an_encounter_with_a_housewife_they/eitpzij/?context=3

The story about the the person who worked at a restaurant in NYC and Brynn and her nanny, followed by Bethenny coming in, after 2 phone calls announcing that a "very famous person" was coming to lunch today. Brynn calling the nanny "Mommy". 

Not surprising. Oh so very very Bethenny. 

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, Happy Camper said:

This from Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BravoRealHousewives/comments/b2jbea/anyone_have_an_encounter_with_a_housewife_they/eitpzij/?context=3

The story about the the person who worked at a restaurant in NYC and Brynn and her nanny, followed by Bethenny coming in, after 2 phone calls announcing that a "very famous person" was coming to lunch today. Brynn calling the nanny "Mommy". 

She should have told Bethenny that table was taken; It was reserved for a famous person that was coming.

Edited by SweetieDarling
too many punctuation marks
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Happy Camper said:

This from Reddit:

That’s sounds about right. Poor, poor Bryn. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I just told the hairdresser to give me the “Romona Singer” haircut .. to the shoulders and long layers.  I came home with the Dorinda Medley .. 1 inch ponytail in the back tied with a freakin scrungy.  

• Love 2

This is really random but I know a lot of you like good movies.

I just watched a movie called The red violin (1998) which I had never heard of before and I really enjoyed it! Where was this hiding for the past 21 years?

• Love 4
On 3/29/2019 at 12:49 AM, mbaywife123 said:

This is really random but I know a lot of you like good movies.

I just watched a movie called The red violin (1998) which I had never heard of before and I really enjoyed it! Where was this hiding for the past 21 years?

I have watched that movie 3 times. I love it and constantly try to get others to view it with me. I’m so glad that you got to watch it and enjoyed it. 

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have watched that movie 3 times. I love it and constantly try to get others to view it with me. I’m so glad that you got to watch it and enjoyed it. 

Well, crapballz - it isn't available on my Demand or on Hulu.  But I'll keep an eye out for it, and give you a shout so we can girlfriend watch together (remotely).

1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Well, crapballz - it isn't available on my Demand or on Hulu.  But I'll keep an eye out for it, and give you a shout so we can girlfriend watch together (remotely).

Do you have something that plays DVD’s? I can make a copy and mail it to you. 

• Love 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Do you have something that plays DVD’s? I can make a copy and mail it to you. 

Yes, but NO, NEIN, NYET..  My laptops died, so I'm doing everything on my beloved donated Chromebook (no DVD portal thingy).  There's this Emerson VCR/DVR that's been sitting unconnected for about eleventy billion years, and will NEVER get used!

Please stop trying to drag my dinosaur ass into modern times - I still have only a landline, fer fuck's sake!

HEE!!!

Edited by walnutqueen
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, walnutqueen said:

Yes, but NO, NEIN, NYET..  My laptops died, so I'm doing everything on my beloved donated Chromebook (no DVD portal thingy).  There's this Emerson VCR/DVR that's been sitting unconnected for about eleventy billion years, and will NEVER get used!

Please stop trying to drag my dinosaur ass into modern times - I still have only a landline, fer fuck's sake!

HEE!!!

Emily Letilla: “Nevermind” 

974AA026-B433-434C-B664-D13DAD48B738.thumb.jpeg.2b1cc94af2a0c948545d6883e3b1d24e.jpeg

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/texas-mother-admits-to-selling-her-children-to-pay-off-drug-debt/ar-BBVFnMW?li=BBnb7Kz

Oh, dear Lord!  Unbelievable.  Didn't read it close enough but I would think they were her own children.  OTOH anyone that would sell a child .... hope they tested the kids to confirm that she didn't steal someone else's child to sell.  Un-be-lievable. 

ETA:  The sentence was not long enough.

Edited by Ellee
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, Ellee said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/texas-mother-admits-to-selling-her-children-to-pay-off-drug-debt/ar-BBVFnMW?li=BBnb7Kz

Oh, dear Lord!  Unbelievable.  Didn't read it close enough but I would think they were her own children.  OTOH anyone that would sell a child .... hope they tested the kids to confirm that she didn't steal someone else's child to sell.  Un-be-lievable. 

ETA:  The sentence was not long enough.

I just saw this story too, Ellee. So depressing, so unfathomable.  Life really is not fair.

• Love 1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/six-people-including-two-children-shot-at-family-gathering-in-englewood/ar-BBVGNKz?li=BBnbfcL

Might I suggest that we pray for this little baby.  Can’t imagine what this little one’s life will be like if the family/friends can’t even get together for a shower without taking shots at each other.  

Can the child protection agencies take possession of him/her as he/she comes out of the womb?  

• Love 2
On 4/2/2019 at 9:31 AM, Mindthinkr said:

Where did u see it?  On t.v.  Rent it, Netflix?

• Love 1