Type keyword(s) to search

Carl Elias: Invictus Maneo

The difference between Keith Mars and Carl Elias shows a lot of range, but Colantoni's performance in POI is even more remarkable when you think of him as Mathesar in Galaxy Quest.

• Love 7

The difference between Keith Mars and Carl Elias shows a lot of range, but Colantoni's performance in POI is even more remarkable when you think of him as Mathesar in Galaxy Quest.

Hell yes. That movie must be made with special light or something. I know who the big boobed blond is, but how can she be SW? Ditto Mathesar.

I still love Keith.

Edited by Syme
  • Love 1

I never watched Veronica Mars or Flashpoint.  I remember Enrico Colantoni from Just Shoot Me (which I liked despite David Spade).  Elias is also very different from Elliot. (Observation - lots of E names here),

You might like it--Veronica Mars was pretty good, and had one of the best first seasons I've ever seen.  There were a few clunky moments, but it kept me guessing until the end.  Colantoni's Keith Mars was also very different than Elias, and his portrayal of Keith Mars was one of the better things about VM.  Mars was warm, smart, and devoted to his daughter.  He came across as a very, very decent person.

I can't say much about his performance in Just Shoot Me, but for me, one of the things that makes Elias work as a character is Colantoni's performance.  He manages to make Elias believable as someone who cries and grieves for his friend Anthony, while still being someone who would kidnap or kill a child.  I always get the feeling that while he'd shoot any of Team Machine in a heartbeat, he finds them worthy of respect and finds their quest interesting, if not entertaining.

• Love 1

You might like it--Veronica Mars was pretty good, and had one of the best first seasons I've ever seen.  There were a few clunky moments, but it kept me guessing until the end.  Colantoni's Keith Mars was also very different than Elias, and his portrayal of Keith Mars was one of the better things about VM.  Mars was warm, smart, and devoted to his daughter.  He came across as a very, very decent person.

Yes, watch VM. And thumbs up on EC selling his role weekly. I always recall Kane & Able where he sits on the couch as she come home:

Clarence Weidman. He's the head of security for Kane Software. And for an hour after he left, I sat here wondering: what did I stumble on that has them so rattled that they'd send over their top guy? I wasn't sure what it was, but I was proud. Clearly, I was making them nervous. Then it occurred to me: I didn't stumble on anything. I haven't touched the case in months. Nope, I'm not scaring the Kanes.... My seventeen year-old daughter is.

His fear for his daughter, and his pride in her despite that, shined through. And in a show rooted around murder, rape, drug use, teenaged sex, it won the Family Research Council award for best father-daughter relationship on TV.

I can't say much about his performance in Just Shoot Me, but for me, one of the things that makes Elias work as a character is Colantoni's performance.  He manages to make Elias believable as someone who cries and grieves for his friend Anthony, while still being someone who would kidnap or kill a child.

Again, 110% true. But I still can not believe he also was ...Mathesar!?!?!? How could that be, I think again and again.

Edited by Syme

One thing that's interesting is the way you can pinpoint when Elias transformed from a respected "frenemy" to a full-on ally/friend:  The Devil's Share.  Figure it's hard to describe the level of relief and closure that Team Machine likely felt when they learn that Simmons was dead.  Not in the hospital or in custody or in jail, but really most sincerely dead.  He was always going to be a threat, far more than Quinn.  Quinn would murder from business or proactive "self-defense."  Simmons was utterly vindictive.  Even from jail he would've kept try to murder Team Machine and their families.  Including Fusco's son and Carter husband and son.  Plus figure that eventually Greer/Samaritan would have dug him up and used him to hunt for Team Machine.  Even leaving all that aside, just the idea that Simmons was alive and likely building a new power base from prison would be a constant worry to Team Machine.

Elias prevented all that just by watching him get garrotted.  So, Team Machine felt a great sense of debt to Elias for avenging Carter in a permanent way, even if they couldn't or didn't directly express that gratitude.

• Love 1