Type keyword(s) to search

The "HELL YEAH!" Movie Moments

• Start Topic

From X-Men: Apocalypse

Spoiler

- Apocalypse is advancing towards the X-Men, Magneto turns face by sending 2 metal beams into Apocalypse's path, forming an X.

- Jean listens to Professor Xavier, and decides to confront Apocalypse in Charles' head and on the battle field.  That shot of Cerebro's door opening and Jean walking through, just awesome.

• Love 2

I know a lot of people will disagree with me for this one, but another one of my HY moments in Ever After is when DaVinci tells off Henry for the way he treated Danielle. Because even if Henry's anger was understandable, his "I WILL NOT YIELD!" just comes off as so petulant.

So IMHO, Leonardo's response was completely justified. If Henry was willing to toss Danielle aside without bothering to hear her side of the story, out of pure pride and spite, then Leonardo was right: "You don't deserve her."

And then he sets down the slipper like he's dropping the mic.

• Love 10

Just saw "Marty" (1955) and   felt a "Hell Yeah" moment towards the end as Marty is hanging with his single friends.  They make fun of him for liking a "plain" schoolteacher, rather than the hot dates they're always on the prowl for.   Marty goes out on a date with the teacher and they seem to really like each other, so he promises he'll call her later to make plans for another date.  The guys chide him so he doesn't call when he says he does (there's a sad moment as the girl is stuck at home with her parents watching Ed Sullivan with tears in her eyes).  After hanging with his dateless friends who can't get motivated to do anything ("What do you want to do?  I don't know, what do you want to do?"), Marty realizes he's got a good thing and gives his friends a round about how he liked this girl, will keep dating her and if she'll have him, he'll get on his knees and propose to that girl.  It was great seeing the character break away from his friends' expectations and decide he doesn't want to wait around for a fantasy- but  a nice girl who enjoys his company.

• Love 6

A Walk On the Moon: When Pearl tries to justify her affair to Marty with the old "we got married so young and I didn't get the chance to be young" excuse, Marty reminds her that he didn't have the chance to be young either...and more importantly, he never purposely stood in the way of Pearl's dreams. That was her choice.

I watched Never Been Kissed (again!) last night, and I have two "Hell Yeah" moments.  The first being when Josie finally snaps and saves Aldys from getting dog food dumped on her head at prom, and then lets all the popular kids HAVE IT for how terribly they've been treating everyone, and that none of this will matter beyond high school.  And the second is when Sam finally shows up on the pitchers mound at the end and Josie gets her kiss.   I wish Drew Barrymore still did romantic comedies; she's just so damn likable.  

• Love 10
(edited)

Spanglish: When Deborah's newly sober mother calls her out on her cheating, telling her flat-out that she's going to lose her husband and she'll never find another guy that's as great as him (or at least will put up with all her shit).  Deborah, as usual, tries to twist it around that everyone else except her is the bad guy, and accuses her mother of "making her hate herself."

Her mom doesn't buy it.  She just replies, "Sweetie, lately all your low self-esteem is just good common sense."

BOOM.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4

Another "Hell, Yeah!" moment from Ever After was the scene during Prince Henry's almost-wedding when his intended bride, who sobbed all the way down the aisle, finally broke down and begged Henry to stop the wedding so that she could be with her true love, Henry responded by saying "I know exactly how you feel," kissed her hand, let her go and left to rescue Danielle-who, as it turned out, didn't need his help after all. 

From The peanuts Movie, three "Hell, Yeah!" moments: when Snoopy, in "World War I Flying Ace" mode, rescued his true love Fifi from The Red Baron, when Charlie Brown finally flew a kite and when Snoopy threw his typewriter at Lucy for dissing his short story-which, IMO, served her right, the nasty, Charlie Brown-hating, Linus-bullying, Shroeder-stalking, sociopathic bitch.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 6

Precious: After spending the movie watching her mom beat the crap out of her, the scene where Precious finally fight back against her, knocking her into the wall before taking the baby and getting the hell out of here is oh-so satisfying.

• Love 8

My Cousin Vinny - Vinny points out that Mr Tipton's timeframe was wrong, because he couldn't cook breakfast that fast.  And when Vinny and Mona Lisa destroy the prosecution's case, just by looking at a picture.

Captain America: Civil War -

Spoiler

One location typed on the screen, and that location was Queens.

• Love 1

My Cousin Vinny - Vinny points out that Mr Tipton's timeframe was wrong, because he couldn't cook breakfast that fast.  And when Vinny and Mona Lisa destroy the prosecution's case, just by looking at a picture.

Captain America: Civil War -

Spoiler

One location typed on the screen, and that location was Queens.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 2
On 8/22/2016 at 9:23 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Precious: After spending the movie watching her mom beat the crap out of her, the scene where Precious finally fight back against her, knocking her into the wall before taking the baby and getting the hell out of here is oh-so satisfying.

Yes, that was a great scene. But the entire movie (and the book that inspired it) are so damn depressing, there was nothing that could lift my spirits at that point. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, topanga said:

Yes, that was a great scene. But the entire movie (and the book that inspired it) are so damn depressing, there was nothing that could lift my spirits at that point. 

The only thing in that movie that made me chuckle was the look on Sherri Shepherd's face when she first laid eyes on Lennie Kravitz in the hospital.  The double-take she did was priceless.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 3

Not a huge fan of The Purge, but the end deserves mention for the part where Lena Headley and the drifter her family took in apprehend the neighbors that tried to kill them all, and orders them to wait out the remainder of the Purge without incident...and when one of the bitches tries to grab her gun, Lena slams her face into the table, breaking her nose, and screams, "DIDN'T YOU HEAR ME?! I SAID NO MORE KILLING TONIGHT! IS THAT SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?!" Then, when the sirens signal that the Purge is over, she adds, "Now get the hell out of my house."

Nobody messes with Cersei Lannister.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1
On 16 januari 2015 at 6:22 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Mercedes shooting the bastard Captain Videl in Pan's Labyrinth

"Tell my son the time that his father died.  Tell him..."

"No.  He won't even know your name."  BANG!

Never has a gunshot sounded so satisfying.

I just went through this thread to see if this had been mentioned, because it had to have been. It's such a brilliant, satisfying scene.

• Love 2
On 2015-03-18 at 11:44 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

<snip>

One, it's one of the most beautiful testaments on the reality of even the best marriages, and, also, unlike today's movie parents, they don't take their daughter's crap lying down and they get the final word.

I'm reminded of what Olyvia Harrison (George Harrison's widow) said when asked what the secret was to her successful marriage.

She said, "You just don't split up. You just don't get divorced."

Much like a 12 Step program where the goal is to stay of drugs and alcohol "Just for Today", if you can just stick your marriage out each day and refuse to split up on that day, you will have a successful marriage because you will never split up. Very simple minded. But also very profound. I can understand why George loved her.

• Love 1

From "I am Ali" (2014) (my favorite movie about Muhammed Ali), he said words to the effect,

"George Forman's hands can't hit what his eyes can't see."

Ali's revolutionary approach to boxing was that defense was more important than offense. He was the first boxer to understand that and he won almost all his fights by ducking and weaving. Very few of his opponents ever landed a solid punch to his head. They would tire themselves out by punching and missing.

Then, when they were too tired to put up much of an offense or a defense any more, Ali would just have his way with them.

A fabulous documentary. What a boxer! What a human being!

• Love 1

2011's Take This Waltz is a fairly obscure little movie written and directed by Sarah Polley, where Michelle Williams' character Margot spends most of the film quietly panicking because her marriage didn't turn out the way she thought it would. She has an affair with the artist she met on an airplane and eventually splits up with her husband Lou, who is played by Seth Rogen. Near the end of the movie, she's confronted by the fact that maybe the problem was never her spouse, and the character played by Sarah Silverman, of all people, offers a pointed if not faintly hostile piece of advice in the face of Margot's trying to piece together what's going on with her:

"You think everything can be worked out if you just make the right move? That must be thrilling. Life has a gap in it. It just does. You don't go crazy trying to fill it like some lunatic."

Well said.

• Love 2

Okay, for as much as I hate Pam in Meet the Parents for her wimpy, passive behavior regarding Jack's treatment of Greg, I think she showed a lot of growth in Meet the Fockers when she finally -- finally -- told Jack off and declared that she was taking Greg's last name, regardless of how Pamela Martha Focker may sound.

Not to mention the mature way she handled it when everyone thought Greg had a child with the former housekeeper. She wasn't angry because 1) the hookup happened long before they met and 2) he didn't there was a kid.

I still think Greg should have cut his losses and dumped her in the first movie, but that deserves some credit.

• Love 2

I just saw John Wick for the first time, and watching him finally put a bullet in the guy that killed Daisy was oh so satisfying. Normally I don't watch movies that kill off a pet for no good reason, but since this movie avenges that trope quite nicely, I'll make an exception.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I just saw John Wick for the first time, and watching him finally put a bullet in the guy that killed Daisy was oh so satisfying. Normally I don't watch movies that kill off a pet for no good reason, but since this movie avenges that trope quite nicely, I'll make an exception.

There is no such thing as "just" a dog.

• Love 7

The Accountant, where Chris saves the nice farmer couple.  I can't really describe it, so I'll just share the clip. There are several badass moments, but that one is my favorite, especially with the way it ends with Chris casually waving and walking off, and the farmer couple looking like, "What the hell did we just see?"  

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 1

This might be a weird, almost sadistic choice, but even though it was horrifying, the Star Wars fan in me was screaming with glee watching Darth Vader decimate the Rebels in that awesome scene in Rogue One.  Because after 40 years, Darth Vader was finally back  Not Whiny Bitch Anakin.  Not Kylo "Bitch Boy" Ren.  Darth fucking Vader.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

This might be a weird, almost sadistic choice, but even though it was horrifying, the Star Wars fan in me was screaming with glee watching Darth Vader decimate the Rebels in that awesome scene in Rogue One.  Because after 40 years, Darth Vader was finally back  Not Whiny Bitch Anakin.  Not Kylo "Bitch Boy" Ren.  Darth fucking Vader.

Oh yeah, that was horrifying and awesome at the same time.

• Love 4

From Get Out,  

the scenes when Chris escaped from his now ex-girlfriend Rose and her psycho, racist family by killing every one of them, just when a dying Rose thought that the cops were gonna bust Chris, it turned out to be his best friend, TSA agent Rod, coming to the rescue, were "Hell, Yeah!" worthy

• Love 7

My Sister's Keeper: Anna's lawyer (Alec Baldwin) calling out Sara (Cameron Diaz) on basically treating Anna like spare parts her entire life. She responds by trying to act like he's another ambulance-chasing lawyer: "You almost made me think you actually cared about Anna!"

"Funny. I was about to say the same thing about you."

BURN.

• Love 7

I wasn't sure whether the scene was more fitting for the "Disturbing Moments" thread, but I ultimately landed on posting here:

Sarah Connor's asylum escape in Terminator 2.  It's the only scene I can recall where it felt gritty and realistic for a petite, 90-lb woman to take down men twice her size.  It's brilliantly shot, and kudos to the choreographer. Linda Hamilton will always be a favorite because of this film.     

• Love 11

I never thought of Linda Hamilton as all that small. Yes, even as an extremely buff woman she's at a disadvantage in terms of mass and upper body strength against male psych ward orderlies, but she never seemed frail or tiny to me.

• Love 2
(edited)

Another badass female moment, coming from The Lion King:

Scar bellows for Sarabi:

Cut to Sarabi stalking in with her head held high, casting a superb look at the hyenas snapping at her that could freeze a volcano. Like a boss.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I never thought of Linda Hamilton as all that small. Yes, even as an extremely buff woman she's at a disadvantage in terms of mass and upper body strength against male psych ward orderlies, but she never seemed frail or tiny to me.

I checked her IMDB entry, and Hamilton is said to be five-six, three inches taller than Scarlett Johansson, who has also kicked lots of ass in the movies. So there's that. :-)

2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I remember reading a long time ago that she lost a ton of weight because of her training for the film.  I recently watched it again on Hulu, and she is definitely fit and toned, but she's not buff by any means.  She also doesn't strike me as tall.  I suppose it depends on what you consider buff, though.  To me, a buff woman = Gina Carano. Sarah Connor is tough-as-nails, no doubt, but I like that the film didn't have her taking on 200-lb men head-on, especially in the asylum. She fought dirty, and used distraction as a weapon.  

1 hour ago, Archery said:

Well, she was motivated.  Her cocking that pump action shotgun with one hand (at the end of the movie) is one of my favorite movie images. 

Agreed!            

36 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Cut to Sarabi stalking in with her head held high, casting a superbly look at the hyenas snapping at her that could freeze a volcano. Like a boss.

Sarabi was not having it!

• Love 2

Ben's rant to Debbie in Knocked Up was pretty awesome.  The fact that she was trying to kick him out of the delivery room and take over when it really wasn't her place, since Alison wanted him to be there was bad enough.  But the condescending way she tried to brush off his initially polite request for her to leave was even worse.

And although it's not historically accurate I also loved how the girls in Dick made their own personal banner bidding Nixon farewell, revealing that they were Deep Throat was the stuff made out of legends.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Ben's rant to Debbie in Knocked Up was pretty awesome.  The fact that she was trying to kick him out of the delivery room and take over when it really wasn't her place, since Alison wanted him to be there was bad enough.  But the condescending way she tried to brush off his initially polite request for her to leave was even worse.

Loved it! I also cracked up at his voicemail to the doctor who was away at a Bar Mitzvah...I really found Seth Rogen endearing in that movie

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I cannot watch that moment enough.

Me either! And I love Loki, but that scene, where Hulk just rams through the glass, and Loki is pontificating with self-importance, and Hulk grabs and tosses him like a rag doll, never fails to make me howl. And that whimper at the end!???

• Love 3

Since everyone is talking about Dirty Dancing, I'd like to submit the training scene just before the drive to the river.  She pulls on him too hard and strains his back and he shouts "Is that you're idea of fun?!"  When she snaps back that the dance is two days away and she's unsure on turns, can't do lifts, then adds "I'm doing this to save your ass  when what I really want to do is drop you on it!"  He'd been so impatient with her throughout the training, I was pleased to see her speak up. 

• Love 8

I think Jennifer Grey is pretty bad in parts of that film ("... and never feeling again my whole life the way I feel when I'm with you" is one of the worst line readings I've ever endured), and the film itself is fairly bad in general yet somehow manages to have a certain charm to it.  But I do like when she calls him on his shit in that moment, yeah.  If I had to pick a Hell, Yeah moment, I guess it would be Baby pouring water on Robbie and telling him to stay away from her and her sister, or Jerry Orbach snatching the money back, or maybe the mom's guileless "I think she gets this from me" when Baby starts dancing.

(I also love "I carried a watermelon?" but that's not a "Hell, yeah" moment, that's a "Ha - yep" moment I think of whenever I say something lame and can't believe I just said it.)

• Love 3