Type keyword(s) to search

Away from the 12th Precinct: The Cast in Other Roles

turnitwayup

(edited)

Nathan also moderated Dr. Who, Mr. Robot, The Men of Orphan Black, and The Nerds of Pop Culture panels with the last 2 being really funny and entertaining. Today's wifi at the Children's Museum was so bad that it froze halfway thru Joss and all of Nathan's panel so gotta wait for uploaded vid later tonight. Nathan's last solo panel at Nerd HQ. He thinks Castle is a lighthearted show and kinda thinks it's more a comedy than drama.

Edited by turnitwayup
  • Love 1

Wow he's been a busy boy but then he loves this kind of thing, it's the perfect environment for him to relax, make folks laugh, have fun and be funny.  He's right about Castle but I wish they'd not push the comedy angle quite so much sometimes. 

(edited)

Just announced ... Kaia Gerber [a.k.a Cindy Crawford's 13 year old daughter] will be making her film debut in "Sister Cities" playing the younger version of Stana's "Carolina". 

I'm looking forward to "Sister Cities". [Fan of Troian. YAY at her and Stana playing sisters. Good casting]

This is the kinda movie that just may well get Stana's name out and in Hollywood's circle a.k.a more roles in mainstream films during and, most impirtanlt, post Caste. 

Edited by Samantha84

turnitwayup, I really enjoyed The Nerds of Pop Culture panel too.  Some intelligent and insightful people there.  It is pretty cool that Nathan once got a call from an astronaut at the ISS, and Chris Hadfield was a very interesting guy to listen to.  And Orphan Black is one of those shows I keep meaning to start watching.  Nathan's panels really are an auctionfest but since he's so good at it, I suppose they all want to raise as much for Operation Smile as they can.  And it is great to see all the smiles in the smilesforsmiles pics.  

Stana's two current projects also sound much more promising (to my taste) than her earlier ones. Sounds like it could be more "flesh and blood" and less pretentious pseudo arthouse, pardon my French ;). Especially Sister Cities.

Your French sounds fine to me. :P  I enjoy indies that have more "meat" to them, emotionally speaking.  I think Stana's previous indies suffered from weak scripts, so the fact that Sister Cities is based on a play and the script is written by the playwright should make for a stronger script.  Although a movie based on a play can have some drawbacks, depending on whether you like a talkie kind of movie, I guess.  I do. If the words make sense! 

Seems to me one of the smart things indie filmmakers can do these days is to cast actors with strong fanbases.  Between the Pretty Little Girls actress and Stana, they'll be set with a built in audience with two intense fanbases. ;)  The actress from TGW was enjoyable on that show as well.

I'm just sorry Seamus' indie movie didn't work out. It sounded interesting but is on the back burner for the moment.

Is it not being made?  That's the kick about crowdfunding though... if you contribute, you should expect the project (product) to get made, otherwise you should get a refund because otherwise what's being done with your money?  One thing I've liked about Con Man is that the whole process is streamlined with a timeline and the end product doesn't take as long to arrive as a year later.

Just announced ... Kaia Gerber [a.k.a Cindy Crawford's 13 year old daughter] will be making her film debut in "Sister Cities" playing the younger version of Stana's "Carolina".  

That's good casting, she looks like she could be a young Stana.  But, that girl looks a lot older than 13 to me.

Nathan's panels really are an auctionfest but since he's so good at it, I suppose they all want to raise as much for Operation Smile as they can. And it is great to see all the smiles in the smilesforsmiles pics.  

Is it not being made?  That's the kick about crowdfunding though... if you contribute, you should expect the project (product) to get made, otherwise you should get a refund because otherwise what's being done with your money?  One thing I've liked about Con Man is that the whole process is streamlined with a timeline and the end product doesn't take as long to arrive as a year later.

Yeah his panels usually raise the most money. Every so often in the other panels people would donate to get something signed. The Supernatural panel was pretty entertaining. One fan raised $1400 for Operational Smile and $700 for another charity in Jared name. He received a poster and notebook of messaged signed by everyone who contribute to the donating and he was really touched by that. Unfortunately it was basically followed by a teen girl getting her comic con badge signed by Jared, Jensen and Mark Sheppard without donating a cent. Towards the end of the panel Zach showed up and he was like hey aren't you gonna donated to get this signed when someone else wanted signatures. I can see why Zack has Nathan do 2 panels cause they raise so much money in those hours. The Con Man smiles of smiles pics were hilarious followed by the unintentional funny deer in the headlights looking Elijah Wood pics.

IA about the Con Man crowd funding process. It helps that you have a huge fanbase in the 1st place but being so organized and keeping on schedule really kept the backers more excited. I think it was in the comic con panel that PJ said that they got compliments on how backers are some of the most patient people.  It's too bad that Seamus' project isn't going forward at the moment but it's really hard to get things crowdfunded when you don't have a huge loyal cult fanbases.

Seamus' project didn't meet it's goal but I guess they got enough to keep the regular funders interested. But then they ran into time constraints.

At least that's how they were playing it.

Alan and Nathan started with the Browncoat fanbase, and Alan is something of a geek demigod in his own right (Have you seen Assassin Banana on YouTube?) And we Browncoats are nothing if not dedicated. Although it is not true that we go door to door with explanatory pamphlets.

I do own three copies of the Firefly DVD, though. I have my reasons.

And do try to find Orphan Black. Start at the beginning. There are so many 365 degree turns in the plot that you will miss half the fun. Personally I adore soccer mom Alison, the most dangerous clone of them all. She owns a soap boutique now.

It's a cover for her drug dealing operation.

Mwahh hah hah hah hah.

Alan and Nathan started with the Browncoat fanbase, and Alan is something of a geek demigod in his own right (Have you seen Assassin Banana on YouTube?)

In Assassin Banana Alan had a very minor role with a few grunts and groans. He was the Homeless Onion. I think there are better examples of his status, like A Knight's Tale or I, Robot and so on.

Two more video interviews with the cast of Con Man:

IGN.

EW. (like the pic)

IA about the Con Man crowd funding process. It helps that you have a huge fanbase in the 1st place but being so organized and keeping on schedule really kept the backers more excited.

One thing that's impressed me is how relatively organised they were during the crowdfunding process, being responsive to fans and having videos and stretch goals ready.  They said that they'd expected to raise enough for 3 episodes and had no idea they would end up raising the amount they did, but they wanted to be ready just in case.  Nathan shared in his panel that it took them just one day to shoot all that stuff, but obviously they were well prepared, and they wanted the whole process to be tight.  And then the whole thing was already written and ready to be shot shortly thereafter even with their overachieved goals.  There was no waiting for Alan to write more episodes.  Then the trailer was ready to be released shortly after filming finished, ready in time for an important promotional event for them like comic con.  Organisation and an accountability to your funders is important for this kind of venture in my opinion.

Seamus' project didn't meet it's goal but I guess they got enough to keep the regular funders interested. But then they ran into time constraints.

At least that's how they were playing it.

I haven't been following it since Seamus stopped tweeting about it, but perhaps they should have had a Plan A, Plan B if their goals weren't met.  I think they wanted to shoot it in L.A., but would they have considered shooting in a cheaper location if they really wanted it made?  Don't know if any of the actors/producers invested their own money into the project.  But I think they raised over $100,000 and if they're ultimately not going ahead with the project, they should be accountable to their funders.  People already get no return on their investment if the movie or CD or whatever they fund makes a profit; I think it's only fair to let them know what happens with their money.  What about people who donated a lot to get some 'perk' that's never going to happen now?  It's probably written down in the small print but don't know if anyone bothered to read those (always read!). ;)

Towards the end of the panel Zach showed up and he was like hey aren't you gonna donated to get th

is signed when someone else wanted signatures. I can see why Zack has Nathan do 2 panels cause they raise so much money in those hours.

Pet peeve is people "asking questions" at a con/panel but actually just wanting something for themselves like an autograph or a selfie or saying hello to some random person.  Another pet peeve is people "asking questions" without asking one.  What they wanted was to make a long, rambling speech that takes up everyone's time and that no one's really interested in.  Stay on point, people!  It's good that they do raise money with the auctions since they keep the ticket prices quite low, but it does break up the flow of questions a bit.  I liked that Nathan kept it real by reminding people that it wasn't about the cool swag, but about giving children life changing surgeries.

(edited)
People already get no return on their investment if the movie or CD or whatever they fund makes a profit; I think it's only fair to let them know what happens with their money.

They had so called flexible funding that means any amount of money they get, they keep. There are higher fees to Indiegogo with this type of funding I think. Anyone who donated was supposed to check it first, it's right there on the campaign page. As for letting people know I agree, but maybe they did that, I stopped following this story.

Edited by catsrpeopletoo

If you compare it to the stock market, any investment, crowdfunding or Wall Street, is going to be a  gamble.

Crowdfunding being newer has fewer controls, but as with the stock market, no one should be investing money they can't afford to lose.

But of course, there are many people whose retirement plan depends on winning the lottery.....

(edited)

Thanks for the explanation, catsrpeopletoo.  Well, if it was right there on the campaign page, then the funders should have read it.  Even so, hopefully the project people did email the donors to let them know what was happening.

I think crowdfunding is a business/charity model with a lot of potential, but there's room for improvement too.  I read that a few idealistic souls even tried to crowdfund Greece's debt! ;)

Edited by madmaverick
(edited)

That's good casting, she looks like she could be a young Stana.  But, that girl looks a lot older than 13 to me.

Thirteen. If you hadn't said her age I'd have assumed looking at her face alone she was about 19-20.  She'd have no problems getting a drink in pubs over here lol.

If Stana wants to help keep her name out there after Castle ends she needs to be doing more commercial sounding projects, to date the parts she's played have done nothing for me at all. She may enjoy doing them (or have no better options) but she needs to start making those good choices now since Castle surely isn't going to last longer than a year or two so the window of maximum opportunity is closing.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I agree - if she's gonna walk away from Castle I wonder if the roles will dry up especially if she doesn't have the commercial network "face" of being a regular on a long running show anymore!? If she wants to do independent, arty films I guess that's her prerogative but if she wants to make a living I would think long and hard about turning her back on Castle.

Sandra knows best © ‏@Sandraxf  Jul 13

Looks like the shoot date for #SisterCities is scheduled from July 10 thru August 2.

Since this gal tweets non stop about anything Stana related I figure she must know so that's surely going to impact on her filming schedule with Castle to some degree. 

(edited)

I agree - if she's gonna walk away from Castle I wonder if the roles will dry up especially if she doesn't have the commercial network "face" of being a regular on a long running show anymore!? If she wants to do independent, arty films I guess that's her prerogative but if she wants to make a living I would think long and hard about turning her back on Castle.

I suspect that's why she stuck at it for a 7th season, a combination of a steady pay cheque and her face is out there every week to a mainstream audience that's too tempting to pass up, it's better than not being out there. 

I always wonder with the indy style choices these sort of actresses at this level make, is it really an artistic choice or because this is all they can find to do? I don't know her as a person and I don't follow her career outside of Castle much to say but I do know it's a tough life but it's very rewarding if you hit pay dirt with something that brings you significant public recognition/adulation and creative reward. 

In the end she has to be happy in herself and of course she's married now so there's someone else to think about (and help support her). 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

Or to help support him. Let's not be sexist about this.  (Seriously, mine was a househusband when DD was a baby).

Thirteen. If you hadn't said her age I'd have assumed looking at her face alone she was about 19-20.  She'd have no problems getting a drink in pubs over here lol.

Strong features read older. I've have serious political discussions about why the Kurds have made so little impact on world opinion when they have been subject to near-genocide. My opinion is that it is because they are a homely race with very adult features from a young age. Meanwhile, the Vietnamese and the Somalis, two very handsome peoples , get all kinds of sympathy. We respond to neo-nate (babyish) features.

Stana does have some geek cred, having done one of The Librarians series. And of course working with NF.

Science fiction keeps a lot of actors working steadily, even if they are not *s*t*a*r*s*. Look at  Katee Stackoff, Jewel Staite, Elizabeth Banks even Adam Baldwin.

There are a lot of us SF fen around, even if we are not watching the comic book movies.

I've always liked 'working actors' like Michael Caine or Sean Bean who are not too proud to do a genre movie and who usually improve it just by doing their job and doing it well.

(edited)

They're also accommodating Troian and Alfred's schedules too hence the days off being Monday and Tuesday for the film (at this stage). Though Alfred's not in the film much (he is a producer and has a lot of knowledge about the project due to his wife playing the Mary role in the original stage production), his other project (The Silent Treatment) will be shot in New York starting at end of July.

I've got to add, like with The Rendezvous, Gersh is a massive winner when it comes to Sister Cities, five of the actresses (main four plus Amy Smart - who by the looks of it along with Jacki were never replaced) all are repped by them.

Edited by Nadine
(edited)

I guess like with Castle, studios and agencies like to keep things in house.  But is it only a real winner for them when the product makes money?  Or is it good enough that their clients landed in the project?  No idea about the business.  It's very tough for indies to land a theatrical release nowadays, but perhaps things like vod can be an even better revenue stream for all concerned.

Whilst I appreciate dedicated fans being a font of information about our show and our actors, I do pause sometimes and wonder if it's wise to post stuff like casting notices and location notices in the fandom.  I presume the info is out there in the public domain anyway and if people really want to find out, they will find a way to do so regardless.  But Stana has security on Castle for a reason, and I hope some creepy stalker fan out there isn't auditioning to be a background actor on her indie or something.  No doubt they'll have security on any set, but I have no idea if background actors undergo background ;) checks of some kind.  Guess they ran that risk with Con Man too, since a popular perk of such projects is for funders of a certain amount to be background and get to be up close and personal with the actors.

I always wonder with the indy style choices these sort of actresses at this level make, is it really an artistic choice or because this is all they can find to do?

It may well be a mixture of both.  I think Castle put Stana in the position for the first time of being able to turn down work, but that's not the same as being inundated with offers for quality projects.  I do wonder why she hasn't been able to do indies with more well known and experienced actors/directors in the indie world, even in a supporting role.  I thought she'd be considered for those roles, but it's probably even more competitive than we imagine.  There are so many actors who've gotten film awards and nominations and have been involved with successful projects in the past, and they end up back on network TV in yet another pilot, or on cable, if they're lucky.  Nathan's said before that some fans ask him why doesn't he work with so and so, or do x and y project.  Yeah, why doesn't he? Because it's not really up to him.  People have to want you.  For Nathan, I do wonder why he hasn't gotten some supporting roles in mainstream comedies or something like that, but again, it's a competitive world out there, and also their hiatus is only so long.  Being a lead on a network show doesn't seem to really translate into being considered for juicy, buzzy film roles.  I mean, if it did, the CSI or Law & Order actors would have their pick of film roles, but they don't seem to do better than the rest.  Castle's been a blessing for the leads to a very large degree, especially in giving them financial security, but it's also possibly cost them their golden window of opportunity in Hollywood years by being such a long running show.  Of course no one knows what their career trajectory would have been if not for Castle, just as we can't really predict what it will be post Castle.  But because of their ages and the warped perception of them in Hollywood, I think a breakthrough to films is less likely now. They shouldn't have trouble finding work as leads on network TV if that's what they want (no guarantee of non cancellation though, just as no guarantee it won't run for another decade of their lives!), but landing quality roles in cable or film may be another matter.  

I wonder also about the choices available to the supporting actors as well.  None of them tend to do any projects during hiatus over the years.  Is it that they don't want to or they can't find much?  I'd think that would want to stretch their acting muscles when on a break from Castle since most of what they do on Castle is the same kind of stuff, over and over again.  Molly's only 21 and should have more choices available to her.  But maybe the YA world of casting is just as competitive, if not more so.  RSH has been off Castle for a few seasons now and still seems to be looking for the next regular gig.  Good luck to him and Penny.  The acting world really is a crapshoot even if you're a talented individual.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

Another factor besides the many enumerated by @madmaverick above, in terms of why Stana Katic may still not be offered a lot of meaty projects, is the unfortunate Hollywood issue with age. Now, Stana is only 37, but in Hollywood, it seems roles for older women become fewer and fewer as they approach 40. It's unfair, since men seem to keep on just fine, but it exists.

There are exceptions, but those apply perhaps for former movie actors who break into TV, a la Kyra Sedgwick, but those few were well known before their foray into TV. And that very concept of movie actors (Kyra Sedgwick, her hubby Kevin Bacon, Glenn Close, to name but a few) going to TV takes slots that used to be held by TV-exclusive actors. But TPTB go with names because people recognize them. And what isn't taken by former movie actors is taken by reality crap, pushing out actors and scripted shows altogether.

And while Castle does have a devoted audience, well, it was Katic's first mainstream exposure, and Hollywood-wise, it came late for her, so it may or may not be enough once it's over. Depending on the above-mentioned competition, her age, and the projects she is offered/chooses to do. Time will tell. Still, I'm sure syndication and merchandise helps to pad Fillion and Katic's bank accounts quite nicely, too.

If Stana wants to help keep her name out there after Castle ends she needs to be doing more commercial sounding projects, to date the parts she's played have done nothing for me at all.

For me the fact that they were indies wasn't important. There are many good indie films (IMO more often than not heaps better than the mainstream Hollywood fare), some of them even turn out to be unexpected commercial hits, but if not - being a hit among film critics often makes an actor's career and sets them on the path to actual stardom. My issue with Stana's projects was their low quality, everything she did up to this point, that I watched, had a weak script, amateurish directing and badly written acting parts (except for the Librarian - that was a "good bad" :). So I don't think doing indies and not commercial stuff poses a problem in itself, it's doing bad indies that is unfortunate for a career. Stana's last two projects sound way better and more in the vein of those "good indies" that can bring success and raise her profile, at least get her registered on the radars of real critics. The movie she filmed in Jordan even sounds perfectly commercial IMO. And Sister Cities looks like a potential hit with critics, if not butchered by the director of course.

In Assassin Banana Alan had a very minor role with a few grunts and groans. He was the Homeless Onion. I think there are better examples of his status, like A Knight's Tale or I, Robot and so on.

I suspect femmefan confused Nathan and Alan in this? Because main parts were voiced by NF, ScarJo and Chris William Martin, and Alan didn't even have words as that puking Onion guy :).

Whilst I appreciate dedicated fans being a font of information about our show and our actors, I do pause sometimes and wonder if it's wise to post stuff like casting notices and location notices in the fandom. I presume the info is out there in the public domain anyway and if people really want to find out, they will find a way to do so regardless. But Stana has security on Castle for a reason, and I hope some creepy stalker fan out there isn't auditioning to be a background actor on her indie or something.

Agree with all of this. I was in two minds when I made the post above because of what you actually stated (so if the post above disappears you know why).

Sister Cities spent a long time in development before it went before the cameras so I definitely am curious to see Freedman's adaptation. Especially with film, they have the luxury of being able to add flashbacks and exterior scenes that could only be described in the play.

Nathan and Alan's bromance continues to be cute in this Vulture interview.

What ever happen to Stana's movie with Brett Dalton? I don't even remember the synopsis but if the movie isn't that great maybe it'll be worth watching for the scenery.

Another factor besides the many enumerated by @madmaverick above, in terms of why Stana Katic may still not be offered a lot of meaty projects, is the unfortunate Hollywood issue with age. Now, Stana is only 37, but in Hollywood, it seems roles for older women become fewer and fewer as they approach 40. It's unfair, since men seem to keep on just fine, but it exists.

Ikr? I just saw trailer of another Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper movie and it looks like she playing someone who should be in her 30s again when she's like 23. It's been back and forth for about 3-4 yrs that she goes from 16/17 yr old Katniss to whatever movie where she should be 30 something so that it seems like the over 30s actress are passed over for the current it girl.

Just recently, Maggie Gyllenhaal, 37, said in an interview that she was told that she was too old to play the lover of a 55 year old guy.  How completely absurd, right?!  I hope she gave them a piece of her mind, but there's probably a lot you can't say to people with power in Hollywood even if they completely piss you off.  Amy Schumer did a video with Tina Fey and some other talented ladies called Last Fuckable Day to mock sexist ageism.  That was a funny way to give those people the finger.

Bradley Cooper didn't impress me like Jennifer Garner did on Alias, but look at his career now and hers.  I liked Chris Pratt on Parks & Rec and thought he was a good comedic actor, good at playing the dumb, schlubby guy.  Never did I imagine he would become this big, action megastar with a 6 pack. ;)  There's a lot of talented people on TV who may be just as good as anybody in film, but not many can make the jump and it's down to luck and timing as well as talent of course.

Sometimes one good project is all it takes for people to take you seriously as an actor.

What ever happen to Stana's movie with Brett Dalton? I don't even remember the synopsis but if the movie isn't that great maybe it'll be worth watching for the scenery.

Do you mean BD or Stana or Florence?  :P

Nathan and Alan's bromance continues to be cute in this Vulture interview.

Love their friendship.  So cute and fun together in that hangwith as well.  A friend who will come clean your house and wash your car when you're away is a friend for life heh.

And while Castle does have a devoted audience, well, it was Katic's first mainstream exposure, and Hollywood-wise, it came late for her, so it may or may not be enough once it's over. Depending on the above-mentioned competition, her age, and the projects she is offered/chooses to do. Time will tell. Still, I'm sure syndication and merchandise helps to pad Fillion and Katic's bank accounts quite nicely, too.

I imagine their income from Castle will allow them to take a bit of a break post Castle should they wish to do so, if they don't get the roles they want.  I don't necessarily think Stana got her break too late age wise for Castle.  She was around 30?  I think Nathan got his break with Firefly around that age.  But it's that Castle's lasted for so long against the TV odds that they're both in danger of being confined to that kind of role unless they can leverage it into something similar but better in a higher profile project, or diversify during hiatus and show people they can play other kinds of characters well.  They get the financial security on Castle but they don't get the buzz that would come with being on a more critically acclaimed show that might open more doors, even for older actors.  That said, maybe more doors were opened than in the past but things just didn't work out in the audition.  It happens.   At the very least, breaking into the TV lead category is nothing to sneeze at.  Just ask Jon & Seamus & co.

There are many good indie films (IMO more often than not heaps better than the mainstream Hollywood fare), some of them even turn out to be unexpected commercial hits, but if not - being a hit among film critics often makes an actor's career and sets them on the path to actual stardom. My issue with Stana's projects was their low quality, everything she did up to this point, that I watched, had a weak script, amateurish directing and badly written acting parts (except for the Librarian - that was a "good bad" :). So I don't think doing indies and not commercial stuff poses a problem in itself, it's doing bad indies that is unfortunate for a career. Stana's last two projects sound way better and more in the vein of those "good indies" that can bring success and raise her profile, at least get her registered on the radars of real critics. The movie she filmed in Jordan even sounds perfectly commercial IMO. And Sister Cities looks like a potential hit with critics, if not butchered by the director of course.

Agreed.  Give me a good indie over another overrated, superficial Hollywood blockbuster sequel any day!  I'm glad that a female centric indie like Sister Cities is being made.  We can never have too many of those.  If I were Stana, I would take a smaller part in a "good indie" over a lead role in a "bad indie", although I guess everyone's career would be on fire if they could tell which was which.  But having an eye for good material is an important skill for an actor.  Her latest ventures have more potential, but they are still being directed by relatively inexperienced directors so hopefully they can turn out well. 

I imagine their income from Castle will allow them to take a bit of a break post Castle should they wish to do so, if they don't get the roles they want.  I don't necessarily think Stana got her break too late age wise for Castle.  She was around 30?

In real-world age, 30 is young. Hollywood? Headed into "old" territory. Today, it seems like if you don't burst on the scene as a teen or lithe 20-something, an actress' career is on borrowed time.

If I'm wrong? FABULOUS! Truly. But even the high-profile "actresses of a certain age" (Sandra Bullock, Julia Roberts) have now seemed to go under the radar (although the former is doing voice work in Minions, so maybe she still has pull since that movie is making a killing).

In the acting biz, it's all about who you know and you're hot until you're not. (Hi, Meg Ryan! Although maybe her plastic surgery shortened her career lifespan, too. Leave the face alone, ladies!)

Leave the face alone, ladies!)

Unless they go to whoever did Stana's nose job.....

There are older women who are successful these days.  Meryl Streep seems to work constantly and gets nominated for awards for everything she does. Helen Mirren also does pretty well.  I think the problem is the 40-somethings, because they are too young to get the "old woman" parts, but too old for the "young ingenue" parts.

(edited)

In real-world age, 30 is young. Hollywood? Headed into "old" territory. Today, it seems like if you don't burst on the scene as a teen or lithe 20-something, an actress' career is on borrowed time.

In the acting biz, it's all about who you know and you're hot until you're not. (Hi, Meg Ryan! Although maybe her plastic surgery shortened her career lifespan, too. Leave the face alone, ladies!)

Meg Ryan fucked up her face, I'm not surprised her career went into a tailspin after that coupled with the fact that any woman over 40 in Hollywood might as well be dead for a lot of the power brokers who are still mostly men.

The women seem to have to make it immediately when they're young, the guys get more largesse to hit the big time much later and have a more expansive career (and get comebacks) plus they get to make out with increasingly younger women as they age and it's not seen as remotely weird. 

Just recently, Maggie Gyllenhaal, 37, said in an interview that she was told that she was too old to play the lover of a 55 year old guy.  How completely absurd, right?!

Yeah it is and kind of sick TBH but that seems to be the way of it, older guys in movies are not allowed to be sexually attracted to women their own age or God forbid married to them and the women if they are that age are usually portrayed as either sick, sad or desperate or a combination of all three. No wonder so many actresses in their forties despair of the parts they get offered. 

As for posting location shooting information etc, Usually it's stuff that's widely circulated and if certain fans are that determined to meet the person they obsess over they'll find out one way or another. Most film sets seem to have security and I read somewhere that background actors on film sets are told never to talk to the stars directly unless spoken to so they'd soon get hauled off if they started pestering someone. But there have been times when I've come across things (pictures mostly) that I've thought I'm not posting that because it's more about their private time than show related.  Just because they're actors doesn't mean they don't deserve respect and privacy too. 

Edited by verdana
(edited)

And I gather there is something called Lifeline TV which caters to women with romance movies like the Hallmark Specials I avoided when I was younger?

There seem to be a lot of 'older' actresses with TV movies on their imdb bios.

NF has been pushing his 40-something girlfriend's upcoming series in which she plays the sexy mother of a twentyish man. I smell early cancellation however, because I can't figure out who it is supposed to appeal to.

And yet there are a fair number of 35-50 yo women on TV. Mariska Hargitay, Allyson Jenney, Melissa McCarthy, Swoozie Kurtz, Gina Torres --- there are probably a lot more but I dont' watch a lot of TV.

Edited by femmefan1946

Yes, Krista Allen (Nathan's current SO) is doing "Significant Mother" on the CW network where she plays a separated 40-something mother of a 20-something young man who discovers that his mother is dating his buff 20-something roommate.    Needless to say, it's an adjustment for the young man to see his mom as a MILF. 

The teaser for this looked cute, but we'll have to wait and watch.      This premiers August 3rd, and I plan to check it out.    Krista was in two episodes  of Castle where she ended up being the killer.   Can you guys guess which two?

The  "Con Man" teaser was hysterical.   So glad I was was one of the 46,000 funders.   Still waiting for my T-Shirt!    Here's hoping that it's a success when it comes out on September 30th, but I think it's going to be popular to the nerd community, Browncoats and fans of Fillion and Tudyk.     As a funder, I get to see it earlier than that so I'll let you know.      

I hope to GAWD that Stana doesn't end up doing Lifetime Movies.    Gah!    Hopefully, the movies she's done in the last few years will be released and give her some exposure to do the work she wishes to do, which seems to be small, intimate films.    I'm sure she and Kris (her new hubby) will decide what works best for them.  

If you're lucky (and talented), you can break out at a young age like Jennifer Lawrence.  But I was also thinking of someone like Jessica Chastain, who broke out sometime in her 30s?  She seems to be getting a lot of quality female leading roles.  And someone like Christina Hendricks may continue to do well in her career after hitting 40 as a result of being on a critically acclaimed series like Mad Men.  But maybe they are the exceptions, and there's no knowing what will happen down the road!

Leave the face alone, ladies!

Yes, please!!  But I think many can't resist the temptation, despite the obvious failures that can be seen.  Renee Zellweger's face was scary.  Some people look as different as night and day with and without makeup so why don't they just stick to that instead of going under the knife and getting injections.  

I still can't get over Renee Zellweger changing what made her look so distinctive as an actress, now she looks all the other okay looking perfectly preened blondes in Hollywood. 

Christina Hendricks turned up as a maid in Another Period a spoof of the DowntonAbbey type series.  And was the best thing in it, in a very tiny part.  I love Garfunkel and Oates, but this Riki Lindholme project is kinda lame.

(edited)
Colette Freedman ‏@ColetteFreedman  12 hrs12 hours ago

@drstanakatic is completely mesmerizing as Carolina. Amazing, truly  amazing acting chops. #Iamsuchaluckywriter @SisCitiesMovie

Troian ‏@SleepintheGardn  10 hrs10 hours ago

.@rwginamills @Stana_Katic is an absolute joy to work with and I look up to her on screen and off.

Praise for Stana from those working with her on this latest project Sister Cities.

Nathan Fillion greets a fans while enjoying the evening at 2015 Comic Con SD, short clip. 

Edited by verdana

Looks like Stana is having a really good time on this particular project and working with some talented people too. 

Look who she bumped into. Heh that guy does not give up.

Stana Katic ‏@Stana_Katic  8h8 hours ago
This man is a sweetheart. Thank you, Victor.

Victor Webster ‏@webstervictor  9 hrs9 hours ago
Look who I randomly ran in to @Stana_Katic Looking beautiful as always

https://twitter.com/webstervictor/status/623977058293559296

Looks like Stana is having a really good time on this particular project and working with some talented people too. 

Look who she bumped into. Heh that guy does not give up.

My heart breaks when I think of how I'd have loved seeing the cast dating people outside of the precinct, instead of doing the silly WTWT, which effectively destroyed the show if either character leaves.....although I will hold that proper audience manipulation this season could allow the show to live beyond Beckett's (Stana's) departure.

Stana did a movie in 2008, called Truth About Kerry. It really was a reasonable movie, and I suspect Sisters will be of similar quality. With all the projects she has right now, it seems fairly obvious that Stana wasn't really expecting to return to Castle. I hope things pan out for her.

My heart breaks when I think of how I'd have loved seeing the cast dating people outside of the precinct, instead of doing the silly WTWT, which effectively destroyed the show if either character leaves.....although I will hold that proper audience manipulation this season could allow the show to live beyond Beckett's (Stana's) departure.

Stana did a movie in 2008, called Truth About Kerry. It really was a reasonable movie, and I suspect Sisters will be of similar quality. With all the projects she has right now, it seems fairly obvious that Stana wasn't really expecting to return to Castle. I hope things pan out for her.

I think her projects just explain why it took so long for her contract to be finalized. They were working out a way for her to do Sister Cities" even though it overlapped with Castle.

• Love 1

Stana's costar on Sister Cities is also filming her TV series Pretty Little Liars right now, so I don't think we can assume that doing overlapping projects necessarily implies she wasn't expecting to continue on Castle, or why the negotiations took longer than usual.  Unless someone in the know sheds more light, we'll probably never know what the sticking point was. 

• Love 3
Varscona Theatre 

12 hrs ·

We're just one week away from launching a very exciting collaboration we're undertaking with the Honorary Chair of our Capital Campaign, Mr. Nathan Fillion! Watch for a thrilling announcement, here and everywhere, August 10th! Till then, why not follow us on Twitter: @VarsconaTheatre @NathanFillion

Nathan is shown here in the concluding moments of one of his many guest appearances on the Varscona's live, improvised soap opera Die-Nasty. Was there a dry eye in the house? We assure you there was not. Nathan Fillion, ladies and gentleman: solving murders with panache on TV, and dying in style here at home!

Edited by verdana