Type keyword(s) to search

Eileen Davidson: Queen Eileen, Bold and Beautiful

• Start Topic

Canadians must be very patient people. And here I've been feeling bad for our west coasters who are 3 hours behind.

I often miss episodes when they air and I actually prefer to read the postings here first. Makes me look for the good stuff.

A week is a short time to wait. We're still waiting for season 3 of Homeland! Most shows air at the same time in Canada as they do in the U.S.. A notable exception, though, is Eileen's other show (YR), which actually airs a day ahead of the U.S.! I've ever been able to figure out why that is. Edited by catalogrrr
  • Love 1
Think GH's Jon Linstrom was her second husband.

I was raised on soaps, my mom watched five of them and even subscribed to Soap Opera Digest so I'm surprised that I never knew this. (I graduated from high school in 2000 and that's about when my daytime soap viewing stopped so I'm surprised I never heard about this. (Incidentally he's married to another soap opera actress these days. I remember her as Dixie on AMC but it seems she might have been better known for ATWT.)

I love the connection with Tim Van Patten. Definitely one of my favorite TV directors. If Eileen stays on for another season I'd like to see what sort of friends she could bring into the mix. 

The soap world seems very small, doesn't it, like in that six degrees of Kevin Bacon kind of way.

• Love 2

Tim Van Patten also played "Salami" on The White Shadow when he was 19. He was adorable. I may recall an age-inappropriate crush. :)

On topic: I worship Eileen and always have. I'm a long, LONG time soap viewer and she has always been a classy, intelligent presence on the soap scene. Also, IMO, one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood. I was thrilled when she was cast, and she hasn't let me down so far!

• Love 3

even subscribed to Soap Opera Digest so I'm surprised that I never knew this

Me too and I never knew Jon Lindstrom was her 2nd husband until very recently. So funny! I do remember reading about her and VVP hooking up when he was on the show and a bit about that stuff, but nothing like a big deal. Maybe the soap press didn't cover it much? Or maybe it was during the time I wasn't reading Soap Digest as much.

• Love 2

They were also only married for three years so there's that. 

I watched Eileen on both Y&R and Days so I too was excited when I heard that she was cast. I'd heard a few things, read a few things, and once she was chosen I thought "Okay, so she's one of those, let's see what happens." I'm still convinced that Bravo had to have seen something extra about her, something unflattering, but I honestly hope that I'm wrong because so far I love her. I think she's a breath of fresh air, I think she's naturally funny, I think she probably has issues but they seem like they'll be understandable and and relatable in the way she presents them. I am curious as to how fame hungry she is. Right now she doesn't strike me that way at all but she is doing the show and she has to have some idea of what it's all about and what the women have had to put up with across the franchises even if she doesn't watch them. Anyone who signs on for a reality show has no excuse for not doing their homework IMHO. Preconceived notions my ass. Who wants to walk into filming a reality TV show without finding out what it is they'll potentially be in for? 

I hope this post doesn't sound critical of Eileen because seeing her react that way to the wine throwing incident I feel like there are very few women on the RH shows who would have been as graceful as she was about it all. So far I don't really think there's anything to criticize apart from her perhaps being too eager to be agreeable and accommodating and to me that's understandable in her first season. She's just trying to get to know people, she's testing the water, she's getting to see how everything works. 

I'm hoping she's going to be a keeper. 

• Love 3

I don't think Bravo necessarily casts the entire roster of this franchise based solely on neuroses and instability. Particularly as each series progresses, I think the probability that a potential addition will irritate the insecurities of an existing cast member becomes increasingly important to production. Eileen telegraphs as somewhat imperious with a frisson of hauteur to me (I don't automatically consider that characteristic a detriment); it was a safe bet she'd raise the hackles of Brandi vis-a-vis her confidence and marital history. I think it would also have been even odds that she'd provoke some sort of reaction from Kyle depending on variables. She recalls Camille in her composure and general demeanor minus Ms. Grammer's spells of nastiness during season one. As to how desperate she is for fame, I don't doubt that the pop cultural relevance of the Housewives attracted her as much as much as the money. Despite being one of the most gorgeous actresses of her era, in my opinion, her run at a career beyond daytime never really went anywhere for some reason. She maneuvered herself into a Jon Voight movie when she dated him for several years in the '80s; starred in a pretty well done slasher pre-Y and R; and had a turn in a Sam Raimi motorcycle gang film that she mentioned on a recent episode. Other than a quickly canceled primetime cop drama, that was it outside of soaps. She seems pretty grounded in the footage that's been broadcast, but if broader recognition is important to her, she's now got a chance to be on the contemporary version of Dynasty. That, and the future of soap operas in general isn't exactly stable, although she has the benefit of having starred on three of the four surviving shows still on air right now.

• Love 3

I watched Eileen on both Y&R and Days so I too was excited when I heard that she was cast. I'd heard a few things, read a few things, and once she was chosen I thought "Okay, so she's one of those, let's see what happens." I'm still convinced that Bravo had to have seen something extra about her, something unflattering, but I honestly hope that I'm wrong because so far I love her. I think she's a breath of fresh air, I think she's naturally funny, I think she probably has issues but they seem like they'll be understandable and and relatable in the way she presents them. I am curious as to how fame hungry she is. Right now she doesn't strike me that way at all but she is doing the show and she has to have some idea of what it's all about and what the women have had to put up with across the franchises even if she doesn't watch them. Anyone who signs on for a reality show has no excuse for not doing their homework IMHO. Preconceived notions my ass. Who wants to walk into filming a reality TV show without finding out what it is they'll potentially be in for? 

I would argue that Eileen would have been even more aware than any other housewife.  She's been in the entertainment industry forever, has some clout in the soap world, and has an agent and possibly a publicist.  They would have been sure she went in eyes wide open.  I'm guessing Eileen is doing the show to help maintain that mansion she lives in.  VVP's family has money, but that doesn't necessarily mean he does.  Plus soaps, as Eileen has always known them, are dying a quick death.  It's amazing she's still in demand in her mid-fifties, but that will probably end sooner rather than later, and she might be doing this show to bank the money in case her jobs dry up.

I do appreciate Eileen's natural look.  The only soap I watch even occasionally is GH.  Finola Hughes, formerly a great beauty, is Eileen's age and has an altered face.  Even worse, Jaclyn Zeman is only six years older, but her face is horrific.

• Love 2

I do appreciate Eileen's natural look.  The only soap I watch even occasionally is GH.  Finola Hughes, formerly a great beauty, is Eileen's age and has an altered face.  Even worse, Jaclyn Zeman is only six years older, but her face is horrific.

I haven't seen Finola Hughes in awhile but it makes me sad to read about her going down cosmetic route of no return. Jackie Zeman...I tried to resist the urge to look at a recent image but I did and again, it makes me sad. She seems like a sweet woman too.

• Love 1

I never heard of Elieen before as I am not a soap watcher. When I heard they added a soap star I though "oh great some other fame whore vying for attention". I'm like Ramona I don't like new girls lol. Well I'm eating my words, I think she is a brilliant addition, as is, Lisa R. Speaking of eating my words, I made a grand pronouncement that I wasn't going to watch this show as long as Brandi was on. Nobody is going to hold me to that are they? I could pull a Brandi and proclaim that I was drunk.

• Love 8

I haven't seen Finola Hughes in awhile but it makes me sad to read about her going down cosmetic route of no return. Jackie Zeman...I tried to resist the urge to look at a recent image but I did and again, it makes me sad. She seems like a sweet woman too.

Oh no, Finola messed up her face too?!

Jackie Zeman prolably would've aged well like Eileen w/o plastic surgery.

She was so lovely, with those big and gorgeous eyes.

I don’t believe Eileen is being her authentic self.  She seems very aware of the cameras.  She appears to be very happy and settled with Vince, but in her younger days, she had the reputation of being a man eater.  In addition to her failed marriages to Chip Mayer and Jon Lindstrom, she lived with Nicholas Walker and Don Diamont for several years.

• Love 7

I would never think that she's just a sweet, innocent lady who lives in Malibu. I never watched Y&R or Days so I had no clue who she was, and I actually didn't like her during her first scene with Lisa Rinna. I thought she seemed kind of dismissive and bitchy. BUT, I do like her now. She's established, knows the game and knows people in this town. She's not easily phased and isn't desperate for recognition/fame, like most reality show cast members. This makes her a formidable opponent and I think she'll really rattle Brandi. Doing this show is part of her hustle, really. A 3rd show under her belt, one that's primetime & exposes her to a wider audience? Daytime soaps are a dying breed and she knows it. Very smart.

Edited by DeeplyShallow
  • Love 10

Eileen joining is a win win for.both her and the show. The show cast her due to the fact she has a very loyal following in the soap world (I have several friends who started watching this season due to.her) and it exposes her to an audience outside the soap world. Gotta get the money while you can.

I do think she puts up a front per se...I think she is naturally very aloof and stand offish. Something that would rub brandi the wrong way. I think the show knew what they were doing when casting her..since you just know Eileen and Brandi will.instantly clash like oil and water. I don't even think producers have to do too much with this..just one suggestion or two to Brandi and let the rest take its course.

• Love 4

I would never think that she's just a sweet, innocent lady who lives in Malibu. I never watched Y&R or Days so I had no clue who she was, and I actually didn't like her during her first scene with Lisa Rinna. I thought she seemed kind of dismissive and bitchy. BUT, I do like her now. She's established, knows the game and knows people in this town. She's not easily phased and isn't desperate for recognition/fame, like most reality show cast members. This makes her a formidable opponent and I think she'll really rattle Brandi. Doing this show is part of her hustle, really. A 3rd show under her belt, one that's primetime & exposes her to a wider audience? Daytime soaps are a dying breed and she knows it. Very smart.

Yeah, I never thought she was trying to portray herself as innocent. This past episode is the first one where we got a chance to see how she interacts and so far, I am impressed. Until this episode, there really wasn't enough there to tell what her personality was like or what type of "character" she was bringing to the show.

• Love 1

She's established, knows the game and knows people in this town. She's not easily phased and isn't desperate for recognition/fame, like most reality show cast members. This makes her a formidable opponent and I think she'll really rattle Brandi.

I don't think she was brought on to rattle Brandi.  Brandi is easy to rattle. They all play Brandi like a fiddle.  They just don't like when she strikes back.

I think Eileen was brought on ultimately to rattle Lisa V.  It's too much status quo with Lisa V. being top dog.   They are paying Eileen $750k.  She has to be here for bigger things than Brandi, and I for one think it is to challenge the wolf-pack leader, queen B.  It's no fun after awhile if Lisa V. always has the upper hand.  The rest of them have tried and failed. There is no way Lisa R. could come on and challenge Lisa V.'s status. (Plus I don't think Andy liked all the woe-is-me games that were played in the re-signing drama. Like maybe Lisa V. feels she has the upper hand with Bravo.  So it could be an internal power play too.)

Eileen, as noted in the quote above, seems not to care too much about being on the show.  She isn't phased by Lisa and Ken's wealth or fabulousness.  She's kind of too cool for school right now.  She has no ax to grind with Lisa V., so she can easily gain fans right and left, especially since she has become a victim of Brandi.  What better way to set up a showdown than to have a new fan favorite.  

• Love 4

Maybe the producers after Lisav's claims of not returning and forever getting over things want a back up plan with successful actresses.  I have enjoyed Eileen and it is great to see someone who has worked so hard join the cast.  BH suffered some ratings hits last year with all the silly stuff between Lisa and Brandi so why not try another avenue?

This may have disappeared but I was under the impression that Eileen and Lisav got off to a rough start and eventually resolved it.  It would not be the firs time footage disappeared. 

• Love 2

@jinjer, I like the way you think.  I would like to see Lisa's chain rattled a little.  I also want to see a party in Eileen's house.  I wouldn't want that huge mansion, but I'd like to visit.

The exterior shots of her home are gorgeous.  I love it.  Reminds me a little of Camille's.  I like the nestled in feel it has.  I do wish it had a view of the ocean. 

This may have disappeared but I was under the impression that Eileen and Lisav got off to a rough start and eventually resolved it.  It would not be the firs time footage disappeared.

Wouldn't that be interesting!  But I think they would have made some reference to it?  Like the lunch that we kept hearing about last season where Joyce heard about Lisa?  Or where Joyce went to touch Lisa's hair and Lisa stepped back?  Bravo always does like to hint at discord.

• Love 2

Maybe the producers after Lisav's claims of not returning and forever getting over things want a back up plan with successful actresses.  I have enjoyed Eileen and it is great to see someone who has worked so hard join the cast.  BH suffered some ratings hits last year with all the silly stuff between Lisa and Brandi so why not try another avenue?

Was this a part of a super trailer or something? I am curious if they do get off to a rough start as they seem like they would get along fine to me, even if it is only a superficial "we socialize but aren't actually friends" kind of thing. Since they don't know each other at the start of the season, I would be interested to see what type of beef they could possibly have with each other. Especially since they are both distancing themselves from Brandi and are friendly with LisaR.

• Love 2

I love Eileen's easy-breezy style. She looked great in the maxi dress at Yo's party. It's such a contrast to LisaV's style, which looks like it takes her 3 hours to get ready. It's hard to believe Eileen is the oldest cast member, she probably looks the most youthful.

I remember a rumor, I guess from the 80's and 90's, that Eileen was transgender. Well that's the politically correct term, which wasn't used back then; it was more like "she was born a man". This was before the internet, but I remember people in school talking about it as if it were fact. And I thought it was true for the longest time when I was watching Days.

• Love 4

I recall that rumor as well. It's really weird to DVR both Y&R and BH and seeing her in both situations. The same day I watched Harry H. on SVU. Bonanza I tell ya!

I still don't know how I feel about current actresses bing on The Real Housewives. It's not like Vail Bloom also from Y&R currently on VR. Weird but she only put in a few years as a low tier character.

I'm behind again! I may change my mind;)  

• Love 1

Here is an article devoted to the cast's first impressions of Eileen.  Kim is not one of the contributors (darn the luck).  http://www.inquisitr.com/1633412/eileen-davidson-deemed-boring-by-rhobh-co-stars/

Brandi is so harsh towards Eileen-said her hair looks like a skunk.  One thing that differentiates Eileen's from Brandi's is at least it looks like it has been combed.

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 4

Brandi is so harsh towards Eileen-said her hair looks like a skunk.  One thing that differentiates Eileen's from Brandi's is at least it looks like it has been combed.

And it actually looks like hair.

• Love 5

Eileen is my kind of people. But I'm worried that she's going to witness this season of messiness, quietly collect her 750k and elect not to return next season.

PS Rinna should get hazard pay for that limo ride.

• Love 6

Life is funny sometimes and certainly proves that you can't judge a book by its cover.  Before this season began, I was led to believe that Lisa R. was God's gift to the Housewives' world, and not too much was said about Eileen except for her soap experience.  Now, though, it seems to me that Lisa R. overacts much of the time, and Eileen is the most natural and classy addition to this show!  You never know.  (BTW, I do like Lisa R., but she could settle down a little for my tastes).

Eileen has "presence."  She is the classiest member of the cast, and she has a marvelous sense of timing with her wisecracks!  I wish she'd have her own spin-off some day.  So far, I love her.  There's an old commercial that used to say, "When (company's name) talks, people listen!"  That describes Eileen to me perfectly.  When Eileen talks, I listen!

Isn't it hard to believe that Brandi and Eileen are both members of the human race?  Talk about differences!

• Love 7

Here is an article devoted to the cast's first impressions of Eileen.  Kim is not one of the contributors (darn the luck).  http://www.inquisitr.com/1633412/eileen-davidson-deemed-boring-by-rhobh-co-stars/

Proof that Yolanda is incapable of counting past three.

Foster admired Eileen Davidson’s honest and work ethic. “If I had to describe Eileen in three words, I would say: authentic, real, and Emmy winner,” Foster said. “Working girl — oh no, that’s four.”

No dear, that's actually six.

Proof that Yolanda is incapable of counting past three.

Foster admired Eileen Davidson’s honest and work ethic. “If I had to describe Eileen in three words, I would say: authentic, real, and Emmy winner,” Foster said. “Working girl — oh no, that’s four.”

No dear, that's actually six.

• Love 2

I guess we're supposed to chalk it up to the lyme disease.

Some of what Brandi supposedly had to say about Eileen when asked to describe her in three words:

When asked the same, Glanville told the camera, “Boring, reserved, and desperate.”

If the average person had never seen the show, knew nothing about either Brandi or Eileen, and just watched the episodes so far from this season, I can't imagine that they wouldn't think it's Brandi who comes across as desperate especially in comparison to Eileen. (Not to mention in comparison to Kyle and the two Lisas.) 

As far as the claims that Eileen is boring--I guess Brandi prefers being around exciting people like Kim. I don't feel like we've seen enough of Eileen's life to determine one way or the other, but from what I've seen so far she seems like she has a great life. In addition to having the career and family life she seems like she finds the humor in situations and I think that's such an important quality in a person. She also seems thoughtful, funny, and sincere and that isn't typically the way that I feel when it comes to a new addition housewife. I think Carole and LisaR are probably the only other housewives that I felt I liked instantly as far as women coming into a particular franchise that had already been established. 

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 5

I agree (with Brandi) that Eileen can seem a little boring and reserved.  What's refreshing about her is that she's not reacting like the other whack a doos, and seems to see through all the BS.  If there were more housewives in this cast, who were more sedate and less reactionary, we might be calling Eileen's casting a boring miscast.  Eileen would just be quietly sitting in every scene, making a bland comment or two.

This is how I think about it - what people find so charming in Eileen is very much what they find charming in Lisa.  They hold themselves a bit above the insanity, although they signed up for this dog and pony show just like the other women did.  They are observers with a dry sense of humor, whose jokes are often at someone else's expense, yet somehow give the impression that they themselves are self-deprecating.  Lisa has the confidence of being the fan favorite, and having two shows on Bravo.  Eileen's confidence is she doesn't need this show for fame or money, and could easily walk away and not regret it.  They both can come off cold and prickly, as they look down their noses at the drama of their cast mates.

The difference to me, at this point, is Eileen is real.  She suffered through poor times, scrubbed toilets for a living, has a lived in house that looks like my grandma decorated it, and bickers with her husband in a way that doesn't make him look like a doddering fool she only has sex with on his birthday, out of pity.  She also seems to be lacking in calculation and premeditation when she interacts with the women.  I can say none of these things about Lisa, who never let's down her guard, or lets up on the pretense of the grand dame persona. 

• Love 5

What a misleading headline. Of course, it is only Brandi that used the word boring to describe Eileen. The others variously said she was classy, graceful, kind, composed--all the qualities Brandi herself lacks. Her jealousy--and I very rarely ascribe people's motivations to that--is amusing.

• Love 1

I agree (with Brandi) that Eileen can seem a little boring and reserved.  What's refreshing about her is that she's not reacting like the other whack a doos, and seems to see through all the BS.  If there were more housewives in this cast, who were more sedate and less reactionary, we might be calling Eileen's casting a boring miscast.  Eileen would just be quietly sitting in every scene, making a bland comment or two.

This is how I think about it - what people find so charming in Eileen is very much what they find charming in Lisa.  They hold themselves a bit above the insanity, although they signed up for this dog and pony show just like the other women did.  They are observers with a dry sense of humor, whose jokes are often at someone else's expense, yet somehow give the impression that they themselves are self-deprecating.  Lisa has the confidence of being the fan favorite, and having two shows on Bravo.  Eileen's confidence is she doesn't need this show for fame or money, and could easily walk away and not regret it.  They both can come off cold and prickly, as they look down their noses at the drama of their cast mates.

The difference to me, at this point, is Eileen is real.  She suffered through poor times, scrubbed toilets for a living, has a lived in house that looks like my grandma decorated it, and bickers with her husband in a way that doesn't make him look like a doddering fool she only has sex with on his birthday, out of pity.  She also seems to be lacking in calculation and premeditation when she interacts with the women.  I can say none of these things about Lisa, who never let's down her guard, or lets up on the pretense of the grand dame persona. 

Amen!

• Love 1

The others variously said she was classy, graceful, kind, composed--all the qualities Brandi herself lacks.

For Brandi 'composed' = boring.

If you're not drunk and falling off your 5 inch stilettos in the street, you must be living a tiresome life according to Brandi.

• Love 1

I appreciate that Eileen was very careful how she described Kim to Lisa.  Even after Lisa was trying to get Eileen to agree that even normal Kim is "off", Eileen stated she doesn't know Kim well enough to make that judgment.  It made me think that Brandi may have received this same treatment, if the wine tossing had never happened.  Such a contrast to Lisa R's talking heads where she's going full throttle on Brandi and Kim.  I'm not saying I blame Lisa R, but I agree with the poster who said we may look back and realize Lisa R is a mean girl.  I'm waiting for one full season to form an opinion.

• Love 3

Even last night on WWHL Eileen was very careful how to describe Brandi.  

ITA that Eileen was annoyed at Whitney Cummings because she was, well, annoying.  Trying to hog the camera, jumping into Eileen's camera shots, trying to answer questions for Eileen.  Annoying.  Eileen had the seat closest to Andy.  Does that mean she is the more honored guest? 

Even Andy kept looking at Whitney like STFU.

• Love 4

I'm trying to picture a RHBH cast full of "Eileen's."

I think she's nice enough.  I like that she doesn't jump to conclusions about people easily.  I'd like to know more about what Vinnie brings to the marriage financially.

The show doesn't need more than one Eileen; the one they have is working out very nicely, IMO.

One thing I also appreciate is how well-written her blog is. Clear, specific, detailed. I don't mind the stream-of-consciousness rants of the other blogs or even LisaV's regurgitation of the OED but I found Eileen's so much easier to read.

• Love 2

I think she's nice enough.  I like that she doesn't jump to conclusions about people easily.  I'd like to know more about what Vinnie brings to the marriage financially.

It seems he is a co-host with the World Poker Tour. 

• Love 1

Even last night on WWHL Eileen was very careful how to describe Brandi.  

ITA that Eileen was annoyed at Whitney Cummings because she was, well, annoying.  Trying to hog the camera, jumping into Eileen's camera shots, trying to answer questions for Eileen.  Annoying.  Eileen had the seat closest to Andy.  Does that mean she is the more honored guest? 

Even Andy kept looking at Whitney like STFU.

Eileen tweeted an apology to Brandi for calling her outfit hooker chic (something like that) on WWHL. It seems she can apologize/admit that she crossed the line. Another positive point about her.

• Love 5