Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E18: Amy's Nashville Dreams

Good news was no Josh, Anna, or Jill. Thank God for small favors.

Jill was featured briefly in the beginning when they showed Amy singing at her wedding. She explained that they wanted to incorporate as much family as possible, which is typical of the weddings I've been to.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

Very apt point about the name. I've always wondered why in the hell she's a Duggar - is there a story here I'm not aware of?

As Deanna and Amy's dad weren't married when Amy was born, I wonder if her name is, in fact, Amy Duggar, and she started going by Amy Jordan when her dad came (back?) into her life. My guess is that her grandpa and Boob were father figures to her, at least when she was very small.  Yes, IMO, her taking the Duggar name now is clearly famewhoring. But I don't know ... I have a soft spot for Amy, and for Deanna.  I'm sure MEchelle has always made Deanna feel somehow "less than" because she had a baby before she was married. And because MEchelle no doubt looks down on her, I'm sure Boob's relationship with his sister and niece is impacted. 

I imagine the Duggar kids are allowed to associate with Amy to a point. Yes, she's family, but she's also all kinds of Nike. I can see MEchelle and Boob warning the girls about Amy's pants-wearing, boy-kissing ways, and making sure they're chaperoned whenever they're with Amy.  I also can see that causing friction between MEchelle and Boob and Grandma, who seems to be close to Amy.

Someone asked what Amy does for a living. She's a nanny, isn't she?

• Love 4

As Deanna and Amy's dad weren't married when Amy was born, I wonder if her name is, in fact, Amy Duggar, and she started going by Amy Jordan when her dad came (back?) into her life. My guess is that her grandpa and Boob were father figures to her, at least when she was very small. Yes, IMO, her taking the Duggar name now is clearly famewhoring. But I don't know ... I have a soft spot for Amy, and for Deanna. I'm sure MEchelle has always made Deanna feel somehow "less than" because she had a baby before she was married. And because MEchelle no doubt looks down on her, I'm sure Boob's relationship with his sister and niece is impacted.

I imagine the Duggar kids are allowed to associate with Amy to a point. Yes, she's family, but she's also all kinds of Nike. I can see MEchelle and Boob warning the girls about Amy's pants-wearing, boy-kissing ways, and making sure they're chaperoned whenever they're with Amy. I also can see that causing friction between MEchelle and Boob and Grandma, who seems to be close to Amy.

Someone asked what Amy does for a living. She's a nanny, isn't she?

I think Amy reminds Michelle of herself in her "sinful" days. I wouldn't be surprised if Michelle was a bit envious if Amy. It must remind of her roadtrip, bikini wearing, cheerleading days.

• Love 4

I like Amy, but a little bit goes a long way.

Also, at 28 & needing some polishing of her vocals, the squeeing nervousness isn't helping; she comes off as a dilettante (which ... yeah). Glad the agent took a harder line with her. It's what she needs.

• Love 1

It's been quite a while since I saw/read this, but an old yearbook of Famy's was floating around the interwebs, and she definitely went by Amy Jordan when she was a child, despite her posts to Instagram staking claim to the Duggar name. Her parents were off and on during her entire childhood. IIRC, they finally married when she was around 20. Her first "album" in 2006-ish used the name Amy JordYn. This was before the Duggars had the weekly series, so they weren't as well-known. It wasn't until after the weekly reality series started that Amy all of a sudden started referring to herself as "Duggar."

So yes, it's a stage name, and because of her protestations, rather disingenuous of her.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4

As Deanna and Amy's dad weren't married when Amy was born, I wonder if her name is, in fact, Amy Duggar, and she started going by Amy Jordan when her dad came (back?) into her life.

This is my theory.  My parents weren't married when my siblings and I were born so my mom always said we couldn't have our dad's last name until she could.  They were always together but she was adamant that we take her last name.  Amy could very well have or have been born with her mother's last name.  I don't see why it's so implausible that she's not just being a famewhore.  That being said, other celebrities use parent or grandparent maiden names for their careers.  If I were Amy, I'd get rid of the Duggar because everything they touch turns to hell.

• Love 5

I think Amy Jordan has a nicer ring to it, but then the Duggar seems more of a hindrance in my mind, especially if she has dreams of being anything mainstream - JMO.

However, if we want to make a point of "blood is thicker than water" then Amy is as much Duggar as Jim Bob's kids.

• Love 2

I didn't know Amy worked as a nanny until this episode aired. I really wonder what the older girls think about that.

Seeing Amy on episodes w/ the other Duggars is always interesting, just the contrast and the knowledge that the children aren't as isolated as it seems at first. This episode was pretty filler/boring, but I did really love getting to see Grandma Duggar with Amy and her mom. She seemed a lot more relaxed, like she didn't need to worry about contradicting her son's rules. I've always thought she seemed a little camera shy, but she was not that at all with Amy.

• Love 3

I like Amy.  I enjoy her enthusiasm and determination.  I thought she looked gorgeous at Jill's wedding.  I have no idea if she has the stuff to make it as a singer, but good for her for following her dreams.  It takes guts and has to be scary at times.  My husband and I were recently on the Branson Belle boat where she sang.  It is truly a huge audience and she kept it together while she had the problems with the audio.  I wish her the best.  If she uses the Duggar name, so what?  A lot of celebrity's kids do the same...Kardashian, Will Smith's kids, Josh Brolin, etc.  The name might open a door but it doesn't assure success.  Good luck Amy and Happy Thanksgiving everyone. 

• Love 8

Since Amy's yearbook is floating around and it lists her as Amy JORDAN, I would confidently assume that her legal name at birth was listed as Jordan. The school system wants to see a child's birth certificate and will list them according to that document. She's legally Amy Jordan, IMO, and is "using" Duggar as a stage name. Why she would want to do that, is beyond me. It sort of disrespects her father, I would think, as I'm sure he loves her and was interested in her and took financial care of her too.

I also noticed Mary Duggar's approval of sparkly, blingy stage outfits for Amy...she's no Michelle; I think Grandma has her own set of rules along a more mainstream line and doesn't have a problem with many types of music...

That blue dress Amy chose to wear, was 2 sizes too small for her. It didn't look very good on her.

• Love 1

Lots of singers use stage names, some that totally butcher their actual last names.  In the case of Martin Sheen, one son uses Sheen, one uses Martin's actual last name.  Lots of celebs use a  name that isn't in any way related to them.  So, I am fine with Amy's publically using Duggar for name recognition.  I will agree that Any doesn't have the talent to be a singer headlining shows - but I think she could do singing in any of the Nashville, Memphis night spots, or in lots of the Vegas bar lounges, cruise ships, etc.  There is nothing wrong with that as long as she feels satisfied with it. 

Hannah seemed more high spirited in the episode and it was nice to see a child treat their Dad as a normal child would, not as a dutiful robot.  Michelle is definitely medicated, which is not something to make fun of.  The only comment I have on that is she did this to herself.  She could have handled a few children, well spaced in time.... but she chose to be a human puppy mill. 

Interesting that Derick and Jill were not at the birthday party - does anyone know when it was?  Maybe Derick and Jill are trying to live a more independent life?

• Love 2

So much to say...Michelle is the biggest control freak I have ever seen. She is much like my mother who has also suffered bulimia and anorexia. The cutting of the doughnuts was so telling. She needs to have that control, and yes, a little sabotage. Michelle just can't let things go. My mother once scraped the frosting off a piece of my cake because it was just too much for her to not have control over what I eat. I see this with Michelle.

Watching Mary with Amy and Deanna showed me exactly why she lives with the Duggars. Amy doesn't need her. Amy has a normal, happy life. I think Mary is on abuse watch and does the laundry to spare the J'slaves. She is a saint to do it and a true grandmother.

One more thing. I noticed that when Michelle was talking about Amy she said, "My kids love her." She left out, "I love her." I think Auntie Michelle is not thrilled with Amy.

• Love 13

As far as last names go, my daughter would change her last name at will- from her dad's to my maiden name because she wanted to. It caused no problems except for those it happened to annoy. Our lawyer said it was legal as long as you do not use it to deceive.

I loved Amy's blue dress. Love Grandma Duggar, I guess she spends a lot of time in the prayer closet. Overall, I enjoyed this episode because it presented a different look at the drippy family.

• Love 1

Lots of singers use stage names, some that totally butcher their actual last names.  In the case of Martin Sheen, one son uses Sheen, one uses Martin's actual last name.  Lots of celebs use a  name that isn't in any way related to them.  So, I am fine with Amy's publically using Duggar for name recognition.  I will agree that Any doesn't have the talent to be a singer headlining shows - but I think she could do singing in any of the Nashville, Memphis night spots, or in lots of the Vegas bar lounges, cruise ships, etc.  There is nothing wrong with that as long as she feels satisfied with it. 

Hannah seemed more high spirited in the episode and it was nice to see a child treat their Dad as a normal child would, not as a dutiful robot.  Michelle is definitely medicated, which is not something to make fun of.  The only comment I have on that is she did this to herself.  She could have handled a few children, well spaced in time.... but she chose to be a human puppy mill. 

Interesting that Derick and Jill were not at the birthday party - does anyone know when it was?  Maybe Derick and Jill are trying to live a more independent life?

Who is Hannah?

I don't see the problem in Amy using Duggar ad her last name. That is her name since it's her father's name as well as Jordan since it's her mother's name

Duggar is her mom; Deanna Duggar Jordan is Boob's sister. Amy's dad is Terry Jordan.

And if I didn't know this nonsense, perhaps there would be room in my brain for trigonometry or something...

• Love 7

Just finally watched it....gahd.  The video was horrible. It looked like a middle school YouTube project. 

"I wanna show them I can make it without my mom and grandma around!"  Girlfriend, you are 28!

And if I hear her say one more time she can make it without her famous family, I'm poking her in the eye while she's on my TV. Bullshit. That's why you changed your last name to Duggar? And why the famous family was in the beginning quarter of your show? Yes, they let random girls in Arkansas with mediocre voices have reality shows about going to Nashville.

She makes my head hurt.

• Love 6

MEchelle does NOT like Amy. It was painful watching her trying to sound sincere saying a few nice things about Amy. The complete bug-eye thing. Amy's what MEchelle could have been if she'd stayed "normal". She's jealous and resentful of Amy's ability to own the spotlight even in her (Mechelle's) own home and family. 

I don't actually think MEchelle LIKES anyone. She's just learned to fake it, assume the appropriate facial expressions and inane commentary, There's something really missing with her.

• Love 8

She is a free spirit and is actually liked by JB which is surprising.  Even he is not immune to her charm.  He really cares for his sister also.

I am in the minority in that I agree with this; I still think, if left to his own devices, Boob would be perfectly happy being a "normal" conservative-Christian guy, if a bit famewhore-y and sex-obsessed. I truly think MEchelle has been driving this bus from the day Boob met her, and that it's her extremism that's made this family what it is. I'm sure he gets off on the whole "head of the family" thing -- but we all know who the head of that family really is. What MEchelle says, goes ... and Boob does and says whatever he needs to to keep her happy.

I'm not absolving him of responsibility in this mess, certainly. But I think MEchelle captivated him early on, and then, when she added her magic vagina to the mix, he was in for the long haul. He was a skinny, nerdy, poor, unhappy little guy, and MEchelle chose HIM. He's probably never gotten over what he considers to be his phenomenal luck.

So, given that MEchelle clearly does not like Amy, Boob has to temper his feelings. I do think he loves his mom, his sister and his niece very much, and probably also feels a bit paternalistic toward Amy. But he can't get TOO excited about her and her big Nashville dreams, or MEchelle will certainly let him hear how HIS niece is putting ideas in the heads of HER children. 

Edited by Literata
  • Love 7

I didn't know Amy worked as a nanny until this episode aired. I really wonder what the older girls think about that.

It must suck for the Duggar girls to see their cousin being paid for child care while they slave away for free. Although Amy annoys me sometimes, if I had kids I'd hire her in an instant. She's fun, energetic, good with small children and very positive. If I'm not mistaken Michaela Bates works as a nanny as well.

• Love 10

Boring episode.  I honestly felt embarrassed for Amy; her voice is NOT good.  Even at Jill's wedding, it had that high, nasally, affected sound.  Definitely not a naturally strong voice.  We have heard much better singers on American Idol, the Voice, etc.  She does have a sparkly personality and seems like a great person to hang out with IRL, but doesn't stand out as a Nashville star.  

I cringed when she so embarrassedly gave her little-girl hello's to the music execs.  And then went into a big speech about how in Nashville no one cares about your name, it is all about your talent- there is NO WAY she is getting anywhere if she didn't have that name, and TLC cameras following her!  

I was really surprised to see Grandma going along to help Amy find glittery performance outfits!  The clothes were atrocious and aged her about 20 years, but I was shocked that Grandma wasn't seriously affronted by the blue dress that was moderately tight and ABOVE the knees!  Very interesting that she may not 100% go along with the rest of the family's clothing rules!  

• Love 1

I am about to seriously date myself here but from the moment i saw Amy, i thought "cousin Oliver" in my head. Cousin Oliver mysteriously appeared on the Brady Bunch years ago when the original cast (kids) started growing up and couldn't be used for those cute lines and laughworthy moments any longer. This is a real thing that tv shows have done for forty years when a show starts getting stale. Bring in a "zany"character to liven things up and keep the viewers. I think this applies with Amy as well.She is so different from her cousins. . Everything is always more "fun" when she is around. Hijinks ensue... you get the picture.

Google Cousin Oliver syndrome. I was pleasantly surprised :)

• Love 6

If something was to happen to cousin Amy, say for instance she became pregnant out of wedlock, I wonder how the Duggar machine would handle the situation.

Please sir can I have some more tator tot casserole.

Or if they found out she is using birth control.

I had tator tot casserole once. It was surprisingly good but mine had a lot of bacon in it. Who can say no to bacon?

• Love 2

I am about to seriously date myself here but from the moment i saw Amy, i thought "cousin Oliver" in my head. Cousin Oliver mysteriously appeared on the Brady Bunch years ago when the original cast (kids) started growing up and couldn't be used for those cute lines and laughworthy moments any longer. This is a real thing that tv shows have done for forty years when a show starts getting stale. Bring in a "zany"character to liven things up and keep the viewers. I think this applies with Amy as well.She is so different from her cousins. . Everything is always more "fun" when she is around. Hijinks ensue... you get the picture.

Google Cousin Oliver syndrome. I was pleasantly surprised :)

LOL. Famy has been known as "Cousin Oliver" pretty much since her debut on the Duggar episodes. It was hilarious to see her captioned as "Cousin Amy." realizing that she is the only first cousin, from Boob's family, that this mess of Mechelle's crotchfruit have.

That said, I think the Ruark brother who is closest to Mechelle in age (7-9 years older) stayed in Arkansas. In an early episode at the car lot, Smuggar introduced the cousin (another Josh, IIRC) who was helping him tow cars or something. Haven't seen him on the show since

If something was to happen to cousin Amy, say for instance she became pregnant out of wedlock, I wonder how the Duggar machine would handle the situation.

Hmmm, great question.  That as well as the birth control question.  It isn't too far of a stretch to think that either one will happen (or already is happening).

That video was just terrible.  As was the studio performance.  Oh my goodness that was a real embarrassment how she had so many excuses for her poor performances.  WHY would you keep repeating, "can't I have the lyrics?  I haven't sung the song in months"  The song you're in Nashville to record and make a video of????  On your big break you don't have the song down cold and ready to kill it when you walk in there?  And her mom had to jump in and make them give her the lyrics.  And how sad that she kept saying she didn't want to be a laughingstock.  To me it really was laughable.  

• Love 2

I couldn't watch this episode. I like ten minutes of Amy mixed in with the whole family, but that's it.

But I hadn't realized she's older than all of the Duggar children. Which, to be honest, made the whole, "chasing my dreams" thing a bit much. To me, that's ok in your late teens and early twenties, but she's 28. She needs to get a plan together of who she is and what life looks like beyond this show.

• Love 1

But I hadn't realized she's older than all of the Duggar children. Which, to be honest, made the whole, "chasing my dreams" thing a bit much. To me, that's ok in your late teens and early twenties, but she's 28. She needs to get a plan together of who she is and what life looks like beyond this show.

I'd always placed her as younger than Jana and JD. She really seems quite immature. Sister you're pushing 30 get it together, quit Instagraming all day long.

• Love 3

I couldn't watch this episode. I like ten minutes of Amy mixed in with the whole family, but that's it.

Me too - never knew Amy was even older than Josh. I'm not buying the "chasing my dream" story either. I think it's a TLC-directed storyline. She's already been chasing her dream - made an album a few years back under "Amy Jordyn" which apparently went nowhere. The story now is more like "can the Duggar name do Amy any good career-wise?"

What?! She's 28?! Holy crap, I thought she was like Jill or Jessa's age. Yeah, it's definitely time for her to get sh*t together and stop chasing stardom. There's not too many women who break into the music business at 30. I'm not saying she can't sing for fun or do gigs for extra cash (if she can get them), but the likelihood of her making a living off of music is pretty slim.

• Love 2

Grow up, Amy. Although I love that she isn't under anyone's thumb, her personality hasn't been squashed, and she seems fun, oh, and best of all she seemed aware and terrified of the Duggar's obsession with getting married, GROW UP. She's 28 years old. No post high school education or training, no full-time job, and she is clearly not taking this singing thing seriously, if she won't bother to learn the lyrics of one song written for her, and admits she doesn't practice.

I'm sure she's fine in a church choir or singing at family weddings, and could probably eek out a living as a regional gospel singer at church conventions, etc., but she looks to me like she's just having a good time, mooching off her parents, filming for TLC occasionally, and very, very immature for a woman approaching 30. This might be cute at 18 or 20, but at 28? She's healthy, intelligent, has good family support, and is just....playing.

On a positive note, the blue dress was cute, I was glad to see Grandma get out of the house, and Amy's personality is what I think a lot of the Duggar kids would be like if they weren't blanket beaten and wisdom booklet brainwashed. I also sort of love that Michelle can't stand Amy, and Amy doesn't care what Michelle thinks. I don't know if Michelle hates anyone stealing her thunder (Amy does have a huge personality), doesn't like anyone she can't control, or is jealous/afraid that Amy might give her daughters aspirations of NIKE pants (not that Amy's worn anything revealing) and leaving the house without a chaparone. But, you can tell Michelle is lying/towing the partyline when she gets all wild eyed and babyvoiced, and simpers backhanded or vague compliments. She definitely does this with Amy.

• Love 6

Just saw the ep online. Wow, that music video was really low budget! I can't think of anything cheaper/less imaginative than shooting her singing in a studio. Is it common for singers to have to sing live in their videos? I thought they always lip synced to prerecorded tracks. What was the point of that? Just to manufacture more drama? And what was with the kids at the end? Isn't the song basically about falling in love? The whole thing was amateurish. And I agree with whoever said that better singers can be heard during American Idol auditions.

Amy doesn't seem like she really enjoys singing on stage... seems like she likes the idea of being a singer, but doesn't do any real work to get there. She isn't the worst singer in the world but the star quality isn't there. She def won't make it so hope she has fun trying at least:) I just feel bad for people that are trying their hardest in a career that is not going to work for them.

• Love 1

Against my better judgement, I'm watching this episode

I am bored, but I must ask, would it not have been better for her just to sing on the cruise when the track did not start? Wouldn't that have been more professional?

When Jim Bob licked the icing off Johannah, ew. (Also, that entire part just made me realize how RUDE the duggars are! poor Amy is right there, trying to make her doughnut birthday cake and their (possibly unwashed and very grubby) hands are all over that. yuck.)

Her voice is fine.

Also, her using the Duggar name totally 100% plays a part for her. 100%. or, you know. she wouldn't be using it.

But her party makes me long for a bonfire birthday party for myself, but my birthday is later this month, sigh.

• Love 1

The Duggars ARE rude. And this is what ultimately kept JB out of politics. Not his beliefs, or his family, or anything else. And he can't figure out why he isn't taken seriously - he thinks it's because he's uneducated (it's not - there are people in DC who are without educations) or that he's "authentic" and politicians are "fake" - some are, but plenty of them are what you see is what you get.

But out of all those Congressmen and Senators that JB so desperately wanted to be part of? Not one of them would lick icing off of his daughter!!

Josh knows this now too, and it's crushing him, trying to reconcile his two worlds.

• Love 5

Yeah, Amy (No Shame-ey) Duggar as a singer and/or interesting television personality:

"Hmmm, how do I say this; PATHETIC!"

Excuse me, as my stomach begs leave to vomit involuntarily in some dark corner.

• Love 2

Aww!

Sweet little Amy - a nanny!

How doggone duggardly perfect!

Reminds me of - The Sound of Music!

NOT!!!!!!!!!

AMY - HERE'S A PIECE OF ADVICE -

"GET OVER YOURSELF! "

You can't sing very well, you're not that cute, most people can't stand you and did I mention that "you're just plain sickening to watch!"

• Love 2

Aww!

Sweet little Amy - a nanny!

How doggone duggardly perfect!

Reminds me of - The Sound of Music!

NOT!!!!!!!!!

AMY - HERE'S A PIECE OF ADVICE -

"GET OVER YOURSELF! "

You can't sing very well, you're not that cute, most people can't stand you and did I mention that "you're just plain sickening to watch!"

Well, it's not like she's horrible. She could swing buy at funerals and church events, ya know? Plus I have a soft spot for lil Famy, she's a spitfire who plays with Joyless Anna. Her appearances on duggar episodes made it a little less hard to watch, I think she's the closest thing to a friend these kids have.

• Love 2

Amy, Amy. She is a woman of 28 years old and she "plays with Joy", who just turned 17...come on, she's been an adult for 10 years now. Time to leave childish things behind, Amy, and train to do some real work..a honest to goodness 9-5 J.O.B., with health benefits. She's just hanging around wasting her own life. No gentleman nearing 30 will consider her either.

Amy, Amy. She is a woman of 28 years old and she "plays with Joy", who just turned 17...come on, she's been an adult for 10 years now. Time to leave childish things behind, Amy, and train to do some real work..a honest to goodness 9-5 J.O.B., with health benefits. She's just hanging around wasting her own life. No gentleman nearing 30 will consider her either.

I think lots of men would consider her, though they may be older than 30.

• Love 1

She is very immature for her age and everything is so friggin' cute to her and joyous it almost makes me look for the can of constant Red Bull she must be drinking! 

edited to change it to is!

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 1

I don't think Amy will have any issue finding a man her age or older. I knew plenty of women like her in college and they had no shortage of boyfriends.

Compared to the other Duggar girls, I just find Amy's personality refreshing. She appears genuinely happy with her life whereas her cousins look miserable. She is very quick to smile and laugh. I'm sure the children she cares for love her. However, I don't think her music career is going anywhere and I don't even get the impression that she's that serious about making it.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 4

Given that I thought Amy was around Jill's age (say 23) and I find out she would have been 18 when the show started, I think it's safe to say that immaturity isn't something that is about Gothardism or homeschooling or being sheltered, blah blah blah and seems to have a lot more to do if you can lay claim to the last name of "Duggar."

I can see Amy getting plenty of gigs singing at church engagements and such things because of her "name."  She's not terrible, but she's not especially good either.  I don't really have anything against how she lives her life, though.  It's pretty common in some areas of the southern US to live with your parents until you're married, even if you can afford to move out. 

I also don't think she particularly wants to be a professional music star; I think she's just going along with it for the sake of the show because, hey, why not?  She's good with kids, so why not stick with what she's doing?  I doubt she plans on working once she's married (less for religious reasons and more because, well, she seems pretty lazy and unmotivated), unless she likes what she's doing enough to want to keep at it. 

I find it hard to dislike Amy as much as the rest of the family - mainly because she appreciates the kids no one else seems to care much about (James, Joy, Jordyn). 

• Love 3

I like Amy. But, I think she needs more of a niche if she really wants to make it singing. Stand out rather than go for super bubbly. I know that's her personality, but I think she should lead with a song similar to Abigail Breslin's The Worst Part. Something sad but still sweet would show some soul and stop the same old, same old.