Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E18: Amy's Nashville Dreams

Oh, Amy.

I'm certainly no Judy Garland, but Amy's voice simply isn't good enough for what they're trying to create for her.  As Randy Jackson used to say, she's "a little pitchy, dawg."  That song has gotten old fast.  The music video segment at the end made me cringe for her.  I can't tell if Amy is honestly pursuing this, or the producers are just using her.  That Jamie guy is doing her no favors.  Amy is a passable karaoke singer at best.  I feel mean saying this stuff, but if she's trying to make a career of this at the age of 28, it might be time for a change in plans.  At what point does Amy hang this crap up, create a resume, and get a secretarial job?

Does Amy realize that, with enough money, anyone can buy studio time and "produce" a music video?  This whole thing reminds me of kid's beauty pageants.  They all think they're winning when they're actually paying ungodly amounts of money for what is nothing more than an expensive, pointless hobby.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 10

I totally agree Emily!

She might be okay for church weddings- but there is no way in hell she will make it in the music business.  She does NOT have the voice or the look. She's looking more like her mother and sounding more like Auntie MEchelle every time I see her.  

And I like her in some unusual way.  But she will not make it in the music world.  That scene with the Colorado sweater and shredded jeans was horrific.

This might be the most boring episode ever- and that is saying a lot after last week.  

• Love 1

I literally just cringed for an entire hour, I really like Amy, but she has no business in making music a career. She's nowhere near the caliber of other famous singers from Nashville. That was just really embarassing I feel like Jamie was making snarky quips about her "talent" as well as the exec who said her voice is effortless oh my gosh he looked like he was trying so hard to keep a straight face. Amy should keep singing as a hobby and move on with life, I wonder if she really believes this wasn't all because of the Duggar name and them needing yet another filler episode.

• Love 4

I love her statement about sharing it with her friends  and FAMILY- funny how the Duggar's didn't show up for the party.  I guess they would be defrauded by the music.

What A holes- even though she is not that great at singing, they could have shown up for her party.  Makes me dislike them even more.  

• Love 4

Once again, I am demanding my one hour back after watching this drivel. Three incredibly boring episodes in a roll. What did we do to deserve this torture.

Amy, Amy, Amy!!!  The poor girl is delusional. She also is becoming more obnoxious.

The family eating and touching the donuts. Ewwww...

How special, awesome, and neat Ben was feeding Jessa or Jessa was feeding Ben.

One day, Michelle's eyes will pop out of their sockets.

Nice to see Mary out of the laundry room.

Good news was no Josh, Anna, or Jill. Thank God for small favors.

I haven't watch the episode, but saw the video on TLC website. I feel embarrassed for her. She looks sort strange when she's singing, and just had a very blah voice. She is 27 right? Her song sounds more fitting for a teen, not a woman. I'm glad she is trying to do something she likes, but you can be involved in music without being the lead if your voice isn't cut out for it. Hope she finds a career that works out for her. I'm 31 and still looking for mine;) Never too late to go back to school and pursue something different... or for the Duggars to go to school period!

• Love 1

There was one point where Jim Bob was talking during Amy's birthday and his hot dog was featured very prominently on the side...it's always about Boob's wiener on this show one way or another.

Ben also posed for a picture and opened his mouth really wide pretending to eat his wiener, I had a good laugh.  TFDW would be throbbing with excitement to see that.

• Love 17

Yes and watching Jim Bob lick frosting out of Hannie's hair was beyond gross followed by him saying something like "I licked frosting off her."  It was just way too sexual sounding for me IMO.

It was "used" frosting-he couldn't resist.

• Love 6

Amy imo  is an ok singer. I think she's a good karaoke singer, but actually not a great quality church soloist unless she's your cousin. She could do really well at singing at she practiced more and spent time and money on learning vocal technique. She has a decent if untrained voice, but she seems to me to lean more on her talent rather than building skill. I have a lot of friends who are singers and they have studied music consistently before just getting a label. 

I was amused by the lyrics of her song she sang to the execs. Something about you lying next to me. 

I was amused when a record exec said "It was effortless." I bet.

It was kind of boring. Her music video seems very boring to me. And very tame.

Amy with the Duggars was nice. She's someone close to them who brings a different view of the world. However I do wonder if Jim-Bob ever tells his daughters to have more exuberance like their cousin Amy. She's seems so happy, she's makes her cousins seem joyless in comparison. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 5

I have to say that I like Amy as a person (perhaps it's because of the comparisons to the Duggars), and I just LOVED the dress shopping. They were silly and fun, and Amy picked a dress that showed her shape and hit above the knee, and and men didn't race into the store and ravish her -- go figure. There was more life in 3 minutes of Amy dress shopping that a whole season of the Duggars.

I agree that her voice isn't that strong, and she should try to find herself a career in the music business that doesn't require her to be a lead singer. If she could write songs, she might be able to work a singer/songwriter sort of thing, but she's just not lead singer material -- she doesn't have the chops and she doesn't have the charisma. I wonder what she actually does for a living right now?

• Love 5

Jesus, what a boring family. It really comes into focus when you set them against cousin Amy. She shows up, and there is real laughter and real fun. 

Then we get the talking heads of the Duggar girls saying"this is very special," and "we are making memories" in a robotic monotone.

The donut cake was a cute idea.

• Love 5

Amy, don't quit your day job. Well, if you have one. Whisper singing makes you sound like a toddler, and when you sing louder you are painfully off-key.

TLC needed a filler show between the 2 weddings, and Amy must have needed the money to fund a trip to Nashville. That's the only reason I can fathom for this boring hour.

If Amy doesn't want to ride on the coat tails of the Duggars, why does she use their last name? Maybe because she knows that's her only shot at a "singing" career.

On the bright side, if she were a true Duggar, she'd have at least 5 or 6 kids by 28.

• Love 4

What about when one of the girls' hotdog brushed up against Michelle's chest? If looks could kill the show would be back to 18 Kids and Counting!

I have no idea if Amy is a good singer or not (but according to you guys she's not :) but I love her spirit. She just seems to have an easiness about her. And she seems to be enjoying life. And Hannie looked like she was having so much fun with Amy when she was chasing her with frosting. Thought it was a cute moment we don't really ever see the Duggar kids having.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 8

Amy imo  is an ok singer. I think she's a good karaoke singer, but actually not a great quality church soloist unless she's your cousin. She could do really well at singing at she practiced more and spent time and money on learning vocal technique. She has a decent if untrained voice, but she seems to me to lean more on her talent rather than building skill. I have a lot of friends who are singers and they have studied music consistently before just getting a label. 

I was amused by the lyrics of her song she sang to the execs. Something about you lying next to me. 

I was amused when a record exec said "It was effortless." I bet.

It was kind of boring. Her music video seems very boring to me. And very tame.

Amy with the Duggars was nice. She's someone close to them who brings a different view of the world. However I do wonder if Jim-Bob ever tells his daughters to have more exuberance like their cousin Amy. She's seems so happy, she's makes her cousins seem joyless in comparison. 

True enough. Anyone with ambitions to sing professionally needs serious vocal study. I never once thought about singing professionally myself but I did learn how much there is to know about singing from one of my college suitemates who was a voice major. We sang duets at weddings during the 4 years we were undergrads - and she'd give me "mini voice lessons" after her own in school. I can carry a tune reasonably well, as I think Amy can, but there's so much more to it than having a pleasant voice. I now know that I don't have a lot of range, I don't have a lot of air, I have a wicked vibrato I can't get rid of and most importantly, I can't interpret a song. I still sing along to my iPod in the car - where I am AWESOME - and in groups and that's all I ever wanted. But Amy, if you plan to be a pro, get some serious damn lessons.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 8

We're always saying we hope that someone will rescue the Duggar kids and expose them to the outside world. I'm realizing that Amy is probably the best hope for the girls. I'd like to think that they would go to her if they had an interest in something crazy, like wearing pants, watching mainstream TV, or reading mainstream books. I really hope Amy has slipped them some Twilight books or introduced them to Scandal or Nashville. (For the record, I think Twilight sucks, but probably would be pretty exciting to girls who have only limited exposure to non-religious books. Small steps...)

• Love 2

I have no idea if Amy is a good singer or not (but according to you guys she's not :) but I love her spirit. She just seems to have an easiness about her. And she seems to be enjoying life. And Hannie looked like she was having so much fun with Amy when she was chasing her with frosting. Thought it was a cute moment we don't really ever see the Duggar kids having.

Yes, especially because one parent looked mad as all get out and the other was wildly inappropriate. At first, when Jim Bob yelled, "Hannie, don't waste it," I thought he meant they'd still use it on the "cake." Then, I realized he wanted to eat it....off Hannie...while saying those things. And, I thought of my mother who continues to call cats "pussy." Even if you mean something as innocent as pure-driven snow, have some self-awareness that other people perceive your words as inappropriate.

Sorry. Had to get that out. Really skeeved me out.

• Love 4

As soon as Jim Bob licked the icing off of Hannie, I knew that people would see it as inappropriate.  I saw nothing inappropriate about it, but I knew that it would be taken the wrong way.  You have to be really careful these days, even about something so completely innocent.

My sister watched this episode with me and after 3 minutes of Amy, she went to bed due to a headache.  Amy seems like she'd be a lot to handle all the time, but at least she has a personality.  Her friends could have been a little more excited for her!  There was one girl who tried to offer a smile and it looked like she was physically hurting.  Then Amy goes "Y'all have to love it!" and the same girl tried again to offer a smile, lol.  They weren't very enthused! 

I was sad that her cousins didn't come see her video.  Then I remembered that they aren't allowed to hear music with a back beat.  They probably wouldn't have been too thrilled with Jamie, either. He side hugged Deanna AND almost kissed her on the head.

Edited by Spencer Hastings

Yes, especially because one parent looked mad as all get out and the other was wildly inappropriate. At first, when Jim Bob yelled, "Hannie, don't waste it," I thought he meant they'd still use it on the "cake." Then, I realized he wanted to eat it....off Hannie...while saying those things. And, I thought of my mother who continues to call cats "pussy." Even if you mean something as innocent as pure-driven snow, have some self-awareness that other people perceive your words as inappropriate.

Sorry. Had to get that out. Really skeeved me out.

He can't front-hug his kids but he will lick frosting offa them...um...ok...

Edited by Gianthambeast
  • Love 7
The family eating and touching the donuts. Ewwww...

The Duggar kids have no manners.  They were all (especially JimBob) like vultures while Amy was trying to make her cake - grabbing donuts and stuffing their faces when the cake was not even ready.  It was disgusting.

• Love 7

What a boring snooze fest. A waste of air time, America.. Did anyone notice Meechelle's TH segment? "Amy is a party waiting to happen". Her big bugged out eyes, filled with amazement...I would seriously like to know what RX meds Michelle is on....it's quite apparent this lady has lost it.

I'd also like to know why this family doesn't allow ANY mainstream friends or interaction for any of their kids, but cousin Amy is allowed? One of the middle boys said  that cousin Amy "isn;t like us, but we accept her" ...what a statement!

• Love 6

What a snoozer.  I could not finish.  But I loved seeing Amy and her mother wearing pants, and Grandma Duggar going right along with it, and also approving a thigh-baring dress for the dinner show.  Grandma Duggar seems quite normal, and why she lives in the laundry room is beyond me.  She must want to add some normalcy to the kids' lives.

• Love 8

The Duggar kids have no manners. They were all (especially JimBob) like vultures while Amy was trying to make her cake - grabbing donuts and stuffing their faces when the cake was not even ready. It was disgusting.

If I was Amy & they acted like that when she barely got in the house, I would have turned around & left. They acted like animals. Are they that deprived of sweets that when they get some, they act like this? Poor Amy barely had any left to make her cake. And then MEchelle gets in there with the scissors cutting the donuts up. Amy looked like WTF? I wonder how clean those scissors were. I can't believe Boob & licking the icing off Hannie. Gross & gross. That man is a Pervert.

I thought it was funny that John Doofus referred to himself as a cop or policeman when he referred to himself eating the donuts. He is a constable not a full-fledged policeman. He was elected. Could you imagine him trying to pass the endurance part of the police training?

I loved the look MEchelle gave the little girl who whacked her in the chest with the hot dog. She looked like she was going to skewer her on the stick.

• Love 6

If Amy doesn't want to ride on the coat tails of the Duggars, why does she use their last name? Maybe because she knows that's her only shot at a "singing" career.

I used to think that she really was a Duggar until I learned that JimBob is her mom's brother.  I watched a bit of this sad reality episode last night and finally got to see her dad who seems to have been missing from her life.  Did she really mean it when she said her parents got married (for the first time, complete w/ white gown and veil) not too long ago?  So, initially her parents lived "in sin"? Or did I get this all mixed up (due to the fact that I was stunned to actually see her father)?  As others have noted, at least Amy has spirit (jumping out of airplanes, getting up on a stage and performing, etc) and personality, something that's missing when we see her repressed cousins (geez...maybe it's all that blanket training...I never knew what that was until a few minutes ago when I looked at the glossary of Duggarisms...somebody call Child Welfare!)

I decided not to snark on Amy.  Except that she needs to actually work at this singing and voice training.  I do think Jim Boob in fond of her, and I am fine with JD's comment about the donuts and being a cop.  It was just a comment meant to be humor and it was.  I really think Amy has changed the kids considerably for the better.  Not as much as I would like, but she has made a difference.  All in all, this was refreshing.

Oh regarding her mom and dad, her parents did just recently marry ( a couple of years? ) but I don't know what her mom wore.  Jim Bob used to go to his sister's rather frequently to visit.

Does anyone recall what last name Amy used to use? It seems as if when the show first began she had a different last name.  It seems she explained at some point that she adopted the Duggar name because that's how the public associates her.  Doe anyone recall that original name?

The quality of her voice and vibrato are good, but she's off-key.  That's a problem!  Along with lots of other problems...

Sounds like they fixed her pitch in that video, and she DOES seem to have "star quality" (is a ham), but who are those random kids?  It was Jackson's and Hannie's one shot at the big time...

I cringed more at the grammatical errors and boners ("Amy, this is so-and-so."  "Hi, I'm Amy!" and the friend asking if the producer of the video had seen the video yet) and the too-tight show boat dress on a figure that blossoming into Deena's.  And, it goes without saying, "frostgate"...

Edited by joanofarch4

I decided to save my sanity and not watch this.Now with everything said here I have to watch it.Its on all you guys if I run screaming out of the house with my hands over my eyes and ears and end up in traffic cause I no longer know enough to uncover my sense detectors.Why do I watch anything with this family in it ?

• Love 2

I didn't watch either. I figured the recaps here would save me a lot of pain. So thanks for all that have posted what happened. And if they can make Brittany Spears into a star I'm sure they can work wonders for Famy.

Amy's last name is/was Jordan.

• Love 2

Does anyone recall what last name Amy used to use? It seems as if when the show first began she had a different last name.  It seems she explained at some point that she adopted the Duggar name because that's how the public associates her.  Doe anyone recall that original name?

She used to go by Amy Jordyn. I seem to think (coincidentally or not) that she went to using Duggar right about the time that Jordyn-Grace Duggar was born. Here's a treat for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG1M8PdvqW0

If I have the story straight, and I may not: her Dad's last name is Jordan, Mom is of course Duggar. She grew up as Amy Jordan (although changed it to Jordyn I guess for her career) but now goes by Duggar for reasons that aren't clear to me. I'm sure it's not famewhoring. ;)

How do they get their make-up to look so cakie and that weird shade? It always looks so ... open casket.

I haven't stopped laughing at this for like 5 minutes. Agreed, mimionthebeach.

Good grief. Is Amy really this delusional?

"It's my dream!"

In my world, I'm a gymnast, ice skater and ballet dancer.

In my brother's world, he's...everything with a 150 IQ.

Sometimes you just have to get over it and move on. It's called reality.

• Love 11

I am glad I can communicate in writing because I took out both eardrums with icepicks trying to watch this episode.  She is humiliating herself by how terribly bad she is....

I had to turn it off when Amy was thirty seconds into her sound check. Her voice is just awful. We had better performers in our high school talent show. I don't know why they're trying to make her happen so badly when she obviously doesn't have the chops to succeed in country music.

Four-year old Josie did a better job of staying on-key when she sang the anthem. 

Edited by BitterApple

I managed somehow to watch the whole two hours of Amy Amy and more Amy!  Does this girl live on Red Bull??  LOL  Two hours was two much!  She got on my nerves big time.  Great to see Grandma get off the compound though and into a hotel room and off laundry duty or baby sitting.  

I blame Amy for being delusional in thinking she could take in boxes and boxes of decadent donuts like that and expect the deprived Duggars to leave them alone.  Ben at one point had to manhandle Jackson I think away from her final prepared cake.  The kids were out of control just like Jim Bob.  I too wondered what Michelle was thinking cutting the donuts up with scissors that were likely not clean.  I thought the little girl who fell (Hannie?) was embarrassed and Jim Bob chasing around trying to lick off the icing was disgusting and she ran out of the room hoping it would stop.  She then gave the camera guy an unhappy look when she was trying to wash it off in the sink.  I felt sorry for her living in this circus.  

Michelle I thought looked over at Jim Bob a bit too much as if for guidance or something about being whacked in the boob by a weenie quite innocently. I mean did she think it was on purpose or what?  Strange moment.  

Not sure why Grandma or Amy's Mom were even in the room while Amy was working.  Jamie is a piece of work and I am sure furthering his career by being part of Amy's rise to fame in Nashville.....waste of time, enthusiasm doesn't make a good voice PERIOD.  If she said one more time I want to be a singer blah blah blah...geez you mean like the rest of Nashville?  Loved how one of the girls says sin-G-er heavy on the G!  Guess she missed that diction lesson at the kitchen table!

And full frontal hug for Brian!

Bonus was no intro by the clan naming them all and "I delivered all blah blah of them!"

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 1

I managed somehow to watch the whole two hours of Amy Amy and more Amy!  Does this girl live on Red Bull??  LOL  Two hours was two much!  She got on my nerves big time.  Great to see Grandma get off the compound though and into a hotel room and off laundry duty or baby sitting.  

I blame Amy for being delusional in thinking she could take in boxes and boxes of decadent donuts like that and expect the deprived Duggars to leave them alone.  Ben at one point had to manhandle Jackson I think away from her final prepared cake.  The kids were out of control just like Jim Bob.  I too wondered what Michelle was thinking cutting the donuts up with scissors that were likely not clean.  I thought the little girl who fell (Hannie?) was embarrassed and Jim Bob chasing around trying to lick off the icing was disgusting and she ran out of the room hoping it would stop.  She then gave the camera guy an unhappy look when she was trying to wash it off in the sink.  I felt sorry for her living in this circus.  

Michelle I thought looked over at Jim Bob a bit too much as if for guidance or something about being whacked in the boob by a weenie quite innocently. I mean did she think it was on purpose or what?  Strange moment.  

Not sure why Grandma or Amy's Mom were even in the room while Amy was working.  Jamie is a piece of work and I am sure furthering his career by being part of Amy's rise to fame in Nashville.....waste of time, enthusiasm doesn't make a good voice PERIOD.  If she said one more time I want to be a singer blah blah blah...geez you mean like the rest of Nashville?  Loved how one of the girls says sin-G-er heavy on the G!  Guess she missed that diction lesson at the kitchen table!

And full frontal hug for Brian!

Bonus was no intro by the clan naming them all and "I delivered all blah blah of them!"

"Does this girl live on Red Bull?" Best description of Amy I've ever seen. Now I'm all for people being upbeat and enthusiastic, but she really does seem to take it several levels beyond that. She is always on. I don't know anyone who's ALWAYS in the same mood.  Even the depressed people I've known have not ALWAYS been low. There's also something about her that seems to be false, a wrong note is being struck. Like she's acting a part - which maybe she is. I only know I can only take her for a very short period before I have to mute the sound.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 3

Amy, don't quit your day job. Well, if you have one. Whisper singing makes you sound like a toddler, and when you sing louder you are painfully off-key.

TLC needed a filler show between the 2 weddings, and Amy must have needed the money to fund a trip to Nashville. That's the only reason I can fathom for this boring hour.

On the bright side, if she were a true Duggar, she'd have at least 5 or 6 kids by 28.

Very apt point about the name. I've always wondered why in the hell she's a Duggar - is there a story here I'm not aware of? I must admit I've skipped past episodes in which Amy was featured because she drove me nuts with her always-on personality.  Upbeat is one thing. S****** is quite another.

The Duggar kids have no manners.  They were all (especially JimBob) like vultures while Amy was trying to make her cake - grabbing donuts and stuffing their faces when the cake was not even ready.  It was disgusting.

So true - the hillbilly gene was definitely on display. With apologies to all the well-mannered hillbillies out there, and I know there are many. I'd give anything to see the Duggars at say, the White House. Hahahahahahahahaha!