Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk : TARDIS Console Room

Chip
  • Start Topic

We normally have a big viewing party for the season premieres, but the guy who usually hosts them was in England at the time, very excited about getting to watch it in England. I ended up watching very late as a former co-worker had a party that evening that I was semi-obligated to go to (but I did have fun).

Wow ... resurrecting a dead thread ... 

Anyway ... I don't know about the rest of you ... but I am just a tad excited about the new season of Doctor Who ... sure, it's not what it was, but it's forward movement and I always like that, so in any case, I am looking forward to the new season.

Just thought I would throw that out there.  LOL

I have a friend who has heard me time and again talk about Doctor Who, and she's finally intrigued enough to start. 

So, where should she start?  I don't want to send her back to the First Doctor and through fifty years, but I would like to like her to get the sense of who the Doctor is and why he does what he does. 

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Aussies! A reminder, today is election day. Please remember to vote. You can find your local voting place at www.aec.gov.au . Funny thing, purely by coincidence I turned up wearing green trousers, shirt, and jacket. People probably thought they knew which way I was going to vote. But they'd be wrong.

And in awesome news, you know below the line on the big paper? You only have to fill out to slot 12 if you want, it doesn't have to be all the way to 300 any more!

I'm just watching the Capaldi episodes on the Who Takeover.  I missed them and the Smith/Clara episodes originally because I moved out of an area where I could get them.

I just have this to say about Clara.   YUUUCKKKK

• Love 2

Has anyone seen the latest user terms for BBC ? Section 9

"If you post or send offensive, inappropriate or objectionable content anywhere on or to BBC websites or otherwise engage in any disruptive behaviour on any BBC service, the BBC may use your personal information to stop such behaviour. 16 Where the BBC reasonably believes that you are or may be in breach of any applicable laws (e.g. because content you have posted may be defamatory), the BBC may use your personal information to inform relevant third parties such as your employer, school email/internet provider or law enforcement agencies about the content and your behaviour. 10. What if I am a user aged under 18?"

Thoughts about BBC essentially doxxing people for wrong think?

42 minutes ago, Machiabelly said:

So I am in my 50s, love sci fi and British tv...yet i have never watched Dr. Who. I now have an in demand with 10 seasons. I am watching Rose. 

Is there any background that i need to know?

Not really, only that the Doctor has been around for a long time. He's accumulated friends and enemies all over the place. Rose and the Eccleston era was designed as a jumping on point. I say just watch all the new stuff. If you like it, then dip your toe in the classic era. But there's no point diving into that straight away. Some of it can be pretty offputting.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Machiabelly said:

Thank you for the reply.

I hope you enjoy it! BTW, if anyone mentions Dalek chronology to you, ignore them. It's better for your sanity. :)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Joe said:

I hope you enjoy it! BTW, if anyone mentions Dalek chronology to you, ignore them. It's better for your sanity. :)

Will do. Thanks.

I already binged 12 seasons of Supernatural. This should be a piece of cake 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Machiabelly said:

Two seasons down. I will miss Rose for sure.

So is it ever said...does the TARDIS know where anomalies are, or is The Doctor just lucky/unlucky?

One time, in 55+ years of the show, it was implied that the TARDIS deliberately takes the Doctor to where she feels he needs to go, rather than where he wants to go. You can read into that how you choose.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Machiabelly said:

Two seasons down. I will miss Rose for sure.

So is it ever said...does the TARDIS know where anomalies are, or is The Doctor just lucky/unlucky?

I've long felt that the Doctor is a trouble magnet adrenaline junkie.

• Love 2

I don't know if this promo is only in Canada or not, but the past week or so I've been seeing a promo on tv for the new series 'Clarice' ( from Silence of the Lambs ). There's a sound effect playing over it and I swear it sounds like the TARDIS landing, lol. Has anyone seen it? 

Edited by gonzosgirrl
On 1/28/2021 at 5:44 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

I don't know if this promo is only in Canada or not, but the past week or so I've been seeing a promo on tv for the new series 'Clarice' ( from Silence of the Lambs ). There's a sound effect playing over it and I swear it sounds like the TARDIS landing, lol. Has anyone seen it? 

I've seen the promo here in the US but didn't notice the sound...I tend to tune out most commercials. I'll pay attention next time it comes on.

I don't know where to ask so I'll start here

If they claim the Doctor is another species than the previous residents of Gallifrey, how come the Master has also two hearts like the Doctor? Wouldn't the Doctor be different?

• Applause 1
5 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

I don't know where to ask so I'll start here

If they claim the Doctor is another species than the previous residents of Gallifrey, how come the Master has also two hearts like the Doctor? Wouldn't the Doctor be different?

Welcome to Chibnall Stupidity and Inconsistency!

Though I suppose one could fanwank it by saying that since Tecteun extracted and used the Child's DNA that future Time Lords who had the DNA put into them as embryos grew a second heart, and then since they already had that DNA incorporated that their kids would also have two hearts, etc.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1