Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk : TARDIS Console Room

Chip
  • Start Topic

Second here?  Long-time poster at TWoP with the same name, second-time poster at PTV.  While I was very active there in the DW thread while RTD was in charge (especially the Meet Market), I dropped off the map a bit with Moff though continued to watch.  Several people there in the DW threads were mentioning PTV as the new place to go, so here's hoping that soon our friends will be joining us.  I just don't remember who had the TARDIS keys last, though I think it may have been EllycatinOz.  With the furniture and small talk, may we assume that this thread acts as the new DW Meet Market, Party in the TARDIS, SHHHH LINDA then?

HUGE fan of Capaldi!  Forced friends and family (even non-DW fans) to watch the reveal with me.  Squealed like a mad fangirl at the reveal.  Loved him in TW Children of Earth, had watched it several times just because of what I perceived to be the depth of character Capaldi brought to the role of Frobisher.  I had seen mention in some of the DW news too that 

the Moff plans to bring in backstory on why Capaldi looks like Frobisher and Caecilius from the Pompei episode

, so it will be interesting to see what happens.  Really looking forward to seeing how Twelve is penned.  

ETA:  Ms.Sherlock!  Megs!  We need the rest of them!  And the TARDIS blanket!  I'll start some gluten free baking too!

Edited by arizonamyrie
  • Love 2

Hello all, so very glad to have found the Doctor Who forum here - I've been a fan for ages (since Tom Baker was Four) and I (mostly) like the Nu-Who.  Matt Smith was my favorite of the new-Doctors (he was the madman with a box), with that being said I am looking forward to Capaldi as I think he is a wonderful actor (and as an aside, I like the idea of having an older Doctor for a change).

• Love 2

I've been watching Doctor Who since the Tom Baker days also. I get confused a little still that Doctor Who is as big as it is now. I really enjoyed the 50th and am looking forward to an older Doctor again. I don't know that we need to know

why Twelve looks like Frobisher

, but I'm interested.

• Love 3

Hello to everyone joining us!  Connbee, the balanced discussions at TWoP were what kept me there and drew me over here as well.  

My first Doctor was actually Nine, and my first episode was where Captain Jack Harkness was introduced.  I was immediately hooked and managed to get my hands on old episodes from my library and read every recap I could and every thread that I understood.  I think Three's personal style stood out to me and made me remember him a lot, though for the new Doctors, Ten was the one that stood out for me (apparently I like the shouty confident ones?).  Like Oak I am really looking forward to Twelve - I always view the Doctor as being a bit paternalistic, so it was odd for me to see Eleven be so young, though Matt Smith did a rather good job at also portraying this sense of aging and feeling old; while he'd still be bouncing around in a scene, there was a sense of dreaded fatigue in the character as well that could use a cuppa, slippers, the newspaper, and a cardigan.  

ETA:  Aside from the spoilers we're seeing online, what are some of the things we'll be seeing from Twelve?  We know in canon (sp?) now that he has a new regeneration cycle, and at the end of the last episode he didn't seem to know how to fly the TARDIS.  My guess on that last bit is regeneration sickness, but I wonder what else we can expect?

Edited by arizonamyrie

I got into DW thanks to TWoP and Jacob's recaps. If you look at my avatar/icon/whatever, you'll see it's a headshot of Ten/David Tennant. I like getting sketches from comic book artists, and I got one of Ten from Humberto Ramos. It was my first DW sketch, and it was far from the last. Three of my most popular sketches came from cartoonist Roger Langridge, whose work can be seen on Doctor Who Magazine . . . featuring Four, Nine and Ten.

As to the spoiler . . . Moffat, what are you doing? It's not the worst idea he's had, but why make things complicated?

• Love 1

Hi everyone, Valerie here. I was tennyoaisu on the TWOP forums although I wasn't that chatty there. Nine is my Doctor since I started with him, but Eleven is my Doctor because he's my favourite. I am in the very small camp of people who disliked the Tenth Doctor, but this isn't the place to get into that, ha. I generally prefer Moffat's era because it's more entertaining to me, but I loved Series 4 because of Donna, and Series 1 was great because of the Nine/Rose dynamic. I'm still warming up to Clara as the newest companion but she's growing on me and I'm excited to see her interact with Capaldi. 

• Love 1

SCHHHH - came here briefly to drop some news by, but first hellos to those of you making it over here.  I almost feel the need to keep in touch here while people transition over just to keep the snacks refreshed for everyone.  Lantern, nice to see you again, awesome that you still are collecting!  I think I still am set up as a follower of you on Flickr even.  The DW community at TWoP is a huge part of what got me into the show, along with Jacob's recaps as well.  Valerie, I do believe I remember you as well, have you used that name on a House message board too?  

Anyway, just found out that Kate O'Mara, aka the actress to play The Rani passed away earlier today.  Of all the classic villains, she was the one I wanted anyone to bring back, even if only in fanfic.  Someone may have to go write that now instead.  

I did indeed post in the House forums for a while. Man, I miss that show's earlier seasons.

RIP Kate O'Mari. The Rani was awesome. Reminds me of old old old S5 rumors when people thought River was the Rani.

• Love 1

You know, timey wimey and all, could it feasibly be possible still that River Song *is* still The Rani?  I don't know enough of the original series' lore to really critically think it out but would love to work it out to establish credibility or deniability to the hypothesis.  Also, I always thought that the events of the Time War were continually time-locked anyway and Gallifrey was not fully destroyed as the Moff seemed to make it seem in the 50th and Matt's finale prior to his additions of timey wimey.  

I thought I recognized you Valerie from House then!  I still have my House box sets on the shelf next to my DW ones, and still occasionally rewatch them.  

Hello All, just marking my spot, claiming my space in this new area.  Long time lurker over at TWOP, very limited poster, however, hoping to change that habit since I seem to have been blessed with getting in at the start of this new place to call my Who home.

I was turned on to the Doctor by my then 12 year old daughter (now 15) and my first Doctor was Nine, and to this day he is the one I love best of the New Who.  I have been watching older episodes as they are available on Netflix, and have to say that Five is my fave of the Old Who - something about Peter Davison that hits me just right.

Looking forward to making new friends!

• Love 1

Hi. Long time TWoP lurker here. I'll probably lurk more than I post.

I saw my first episode on PBS in 1970. The station showed Pertwee but then I don't remember seeing another Doctor until they started showing Tom Baker. I also saw 5 and 6. I've watched as many of the classic shows as possible but I know I still have some holes in my classic viewing.

I love all the Doctors. I miss them when they leave and take a minute to get used to the next one before I love him too. My favorite is whichever one is on my screen at the moment because there is only one Doctor. I know that many people have strong preferences for one Doctor over another (or companions, showrunner, etc.) which is cool but I really hope these threads don't digress into what I've seen at some Who sites- the fans of X in the majority on that site bully everyone else into leaving.

Hello Mack and Monkeypants, and a pleasure to meet you TooMuchCoffee and Bizbuzz!  I am sure that once more news of DW starts filtering out we will start to see this more active.  Trying to stay active here a bit too while people make their way over from TWoP, though for similar reasons I'll probably end up lurking too, though I've been playing the last week again with some fanfic ideas.  Perhaps we can start a Fan art/fic/video thread or something for recommendations.  

• Love 1

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Great to see you again heatherbelle. It was only with the close down of TWoP that I noticed that you sent me a PM over a year ago  that I had failed to notice or respond to-So Sorry about that, hope that I have fixed it now.

Chip,SaintTV, Lantern7, BizBuzz and Toomuchcoffee, Hi nice to meet you all.

Nam and Mack, Hi ladies, nice to see you again. I've missed you.

So keeping this thread off topic, I went to see Captain America yesterday and loved it and then spent today having an existential crisis, which has nothing whatsoever to do with watching a movie.

How are all your weekends shaping up?

• Love 2

I blame the existential crisis on the other site ending it's editorial coverage (as I've been having a little one too which has sparked posting again as well as writing), though I hear the cure is to vigorously post over here at PTV.  *winks*  How was the movie though?  I assume that the powers that be over here do not want us to fully spoil it though.  

Yes, you are LTL-and I did laugh quite loudly when I read it.

I really enjoyed the movie arizonmyrie but then again I'm very easy to please when it comes to action movies, just give me a couple of good fight scenes and some car wrecks and I'm happy.  This probably explains my love of Top Gear, as well.

Hee, nicely done, LTL!

I loved Captain America. One of the best Marvel movies for sure. It will probably be one of the only movies/the only movie I get to see in theaters this year until we go home to the US for six months, and I'm glad I got the chance (although the showing that worked best for us was the '4DX Experience' version, with 3D, moving seats, puffs of air, puffs of water, etc., and that part wasn't really necessary). Mack and I are currently in Chiang Mai for our organization's conference, hence the super-fancy movie theater options.

Hi, heatherbelle and Ms.Sherlock!

LTL, I was thinking the exact same thing!  Mrs.Sherlock, I adore Top Gear as well as any action movie, so I would probably adore it!  Nam, that sounds like a fun exerience though - reminds me of some of the "rides" at Disney World where they spray you, blow on you, and have things hovering over you in 3D as well.  It's not necessary, but it makes it a fun experience!  And heatherbelle! *waves*  

Hello, folks - it's good to find a new place ... now we have to go about decorating it. But, like moving anywhere, you're not quite sure just when to bring the last of the furniture, books, CDs and records (does that date me?), celery, etc. over, because you always want to stay at the old place until the last possible minute ....

Hi, Mack, hi Nam, and HB and Ms. Sherlock! Hi, LTL; what would you like to add to the decor?

Az, you are an excellent and welcoming host!

So I never really got into the small talk thread over at the other place, since I was so late to the party, I kind of just live vicariously through the rest of you "cool kids". But since this is such a newly remodeled and decorated place, I feel like I am right on time. Looking forward to mingling with you all.

One of my favorite threads over at the other place was the one where there were comparisons between American English and British English, I really hope someone starts that again because as much as I love British TV and Movies, I get stuck sometimes with the words.

• Love 1

Dropping to say hi!

I'm another refuge from TWoP. I used to post a lot in the LINDA forum over there, but I dropped off months ago. Now I'm over there again upping my post count, because I'm so close to transitioning from a Couch Potato to a Fanatic. I'm determined to get there before the forums close. Hi to Ms Sherlock, kaffyr, arizona and others. I'll be back.

Me the host?  If so, it's only because Chip and Lisin were grateful enough to let me do so - it's still Glark's, Wing Chun's, and SARS' house from what I can tell.  Even then, Megs/Ms.Sherlock (still getting used to your name change) already started the redecorating when I arrived; to which I like it.  Beer fridge?  Sure!  As long as there's some GF hard cider in there and/or some wine.  BizBuzz, I hope you or someone else made that UK/US Translations thread - it was another favorite of mine when I'd mainline the other forum during the day and night (sorry, writing bad fanfic lately that deals with addiction).  And welcome WyKnott!  Good to have you here as well. 

We still need to find out who had the TARDIS last...

• Love 2
(edited)

Hello all.  Another one coming over from TWoP, not that I posted much over there.  I did sign up at one time, but lost my log in and just never sorted it out.  I did lurk though and during a long period of being bedridden, read all of the translation and Linda threads (yes I was very, very bored). I'm a relative newbie to Doctor Who, first episode I ever saw was Smith and Jones.  I was hooked instantly and have since seen all of the new Who as well as Torchwood and most of the Sarah Jane Adventures.

edited to add missing word, why do I only see these things after I've posted?

Edited by Altered Reality

BizBuzz, I hope you or someone else made that UK/US Translations thread - it was another favorite of mine when I'd mainline the other forum during the day and night (sorry, writing bad fanfic lately that deals with addiction).

I did AZ, and I am hoping it becomes just as awesome as the last one was!  It was my first stop always when I visited.

• Love 1

Welcome Altered Reality!  Looking forward to get to know you.  I came across ye olde country boards in a similar situation several years back - finally found out about 16 months ago though what had been causing all my ailments, hence the inclusion of gluten free fair in the LINDA kitchen.  And thank you Biz!  Already been posting over there while working here today.  

• Love 1

Thanks for the welcome arizonamyrie.  Glad you were able to sort out the health issues.  It seems gluten intolerance is on the rise.  For years I only knew one person with Celiacs, now I know several, as well as a few people who have varying levels of intolerance.

In my case we knew one of the causes of my problems and in dealing with that, we discovered the second cause.  Shouldn't have any more trouble now, as all offending parts have been removed :D

Hi everyone! <waves>

I'm like every other neo-lurker from TWoP - I think I was up to a Fanatic but I got a warning from one of the mods years ago and that scared me off of posting. I'm hoping that the relative newness of P.tv and it's (still) manageable size will allow me to post more. I recognize lots of your names, and I'm looking forward to getting to know y'all better over here.

I'm pretty psyched that I just got my 21-year-old mandolin teacher into Who - he was pretty ripe for the picking, already being a big fan of Fry & Laurie, Blackadder, etc. Brought him back some jelly babies from my last trip to the Big Smoke and was thrilled that he "got" it. It was a travesty that he had not yet gotten into Monty Python, a situation that I've corrected by saturating him with DVDs and books. I love me someone I can mold in my image (muhahahaha).

Anyway, good to be here - I'll be over in the corner passing out the jammy dodgers.

• Love 1

Az

We still need to find out who had the TARDIS last...

That may be difficult; how about we just put out a message saying "Whoever had it last, drop it off at the door, no questions asked"? Might save someone a bit of embarrassment at having kept it too long. Heh. 

I am going through the kind of withdrawal only necessitated only by the loss of TWoP. I am reading GRR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire books, and enjoying them, but I haven't been watching the show. On the other hand, I've been devouring TWoP's recaps of the show (plus *ahem* loads of fanfic and fanvids and just plain clips of the shows), so not having the recaps is ... unsettling. But I figure I can come in here and grouse about it. I'm not going to grouse about DW, because at least I'll be watching that when it returns, so I won't have to depend on recaps. 

• Love 1

Hi Everyone - peanutbunny reporting in!  Glad to see so many familiar names, and looking forward to chatting with you here. I mostly read through the story threads, didn't contribute much to those (mostly because I wanted to stay out of arguments, however friendly they may have been). I would like a hammock, please.  And Jammie Dodgers.  thanks!

• Love 2

On my way home from work, today (I was right down the street, in fact) the car in front of me suddenly stopped short. I was wondering what caused it, and then I noticed there was a small dog in the road. Someone hit in.

I pulled over to try to help (as did the people whose cars were in front of me and behind me). One person called 911, and the other read off a phone number on the dog's collar so I could call the dog's owner., who didn't even seem to realize the dog got out.

The owner was going to take it to an emergency animal hospital, but I don't think the dog's going to make it.

So one of my biggest accomplishments at the office is getting people to watch Doctor Who. I got my supervisor hooked, my coworker, and now another one of my coworkers is watching the series. She's almost done Series 5 so she's moving through it pretty quickly. It's really fun getting her thoughts and opinions on what she thinks is going to happen. She has no idea who River killed: "I mean, she can't kill the Doctor! They wouldn't kill the Doctor!" I literally went 'uh, have you not already seen two Doctors regenerate by now?'"

• Love 2

It's always fun getting new fans hooked on the show, even if they don't know they're new fans yet.  My fiance didn't know what to get me for my birthday last year, which was close to the date of the 50th anniversary special.  Guess who was forced to watch it with me [a few times]?  He didn't get it at first, but I still consider it a major victory that he even watched an episode (he's not a fan of the camp low-budget humor strewn throughout the show).  

Made what is probably my final post over at our old home, and ended up putting on the two episodes that were David Tennant's last official ones.  I know they announced season 8 starting in August, but do we have a date yet?  It would be awesome to arrange a New-Who rewatch leading up to it both to "open" PTV and "close" TWoP, and to kick off Peter Capaldi's reign.  At least the recaps will still be up, but it's just rough seeing the old community close.  

• Love 2

Just dropping in right now ... in the last throes of watching TWoP fold up into its own singularity and disappear; I've been a forum-archivin' fool (although it's been easier to get the individual threads; I figure I'll ultimately have about 70, maybe 75 percent of the DW threads I wanted to save, saved), and I'm just this side of teary about the whole place disappearing in *checks watch*-

-AAAAAAuuuugggh! Less than an hour!!!!!

But this is going to be one of my new homes, and I feel like I should be bringing the last of the boxes and the furniture over from LINDA. 

*is slightly dejected, but trying to make it only slightly*

• Love 4