Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Cabana

• Start Topic

(edited)

A friend and I did the tasting menu at Spago. TO DIE FOR. Well worth the money. And yes, Chef Puck came out to ask us if we were enjoying everything. :)

You will need to call ahead for reservations. Short notice, they might be full, but give it a shot. You won't regret it.

Edited by cooksdelight
(edited)

You were all so nice to give me these tips!  I guess Spago is the place to go, along with some other good ones. BUT... the trip is off, for now.  I had a call from the doctor this morning saying that I need at least four surgeries, so DH's choice is to wait until Sept. or Oct. if possible.  No wonder I haven't been feeling well!  I've heard that Sunday is the day to hit The Ivy because of all the stars who come for brunch, but I've also heard that it's swarming with onlookers and paparazzi outside on Sundays, so I think I'd avoid that day of the week.

Wolfgang Puck is on my list of least favorite people because he humiliated a young girl on a cooking show a couple of years ago.  He was so out of line that even Bobby Flay and a couple of other chefs reacted.  I honestly didn't know that anyone had an ego like he does, and it was a genuine turn-off.  If he came to my table, I'd have a hard time not telling him that his blowhard appearance was off-putting.

If you could meet any BHHW, which would it be, and is there any HW you would not care to meet?  I think I would enjoy meeting Yolanda, or maybe Lisa, and I wouldn't be thrilled over meeting Kyle.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

You were all so nice to give me these tips!  I guess Spago is the place to go, along with some other good ones. BUT... the trip is off, for now.  I had a call from the doctor this morning saying that I need at least four surgeries, so DH's choice is to wait until Sept. or Oct. if possible.  No wonder I haven't been feeling well!  I've heard that Sunday is the day to hit The Ivy because of all the stars who come for brunch, but I've also heard that it's swarming with onlookers and paparazzi outside on Sundays, so I think I'd avoid that day of the week.

Wolfgang Puck is on my list of least favorite people because he humiliated a young girl on a cooking show a couple of years ago.  He was so out of line that even Bobby Flay and a couple of other chefs reacted.  I honestly didn't know that anyone had an ego like he does, and it was a genuine turn-off.  If he came to my table, I'd have a hard time not telling him that his blowhard appearance was off-putting.

If you could meet any BHHW, which would it be, and is there any HW you would not care to meet?  I think I would enjoy meeting Yolanda, or maybe Lisa, and I wouldn't be thrilled over meeting Kyle.

That is too bad and I am more than a little shocked. I have met him many times because we both work in the food industry, and he is widely regarded as one of the most charming and kind people anywhere.  I have literally never heard anyone say a bad word about him. Trust me that I cannot say the same thing about very many celebrity chefs that I and people in my industry have come across (oh, the stories that I will never tell). So many are regarded as ego-maniacs, but it is kind of the nature of that particular business. I guess everyone has a bad day, but trust me, if he came over to your table he would charm you like crazy. 

(edited)

Thank you very much, WalnutQueen.  While I don't think surgeries would be my favorite way of spending the day, you can always look on the bright side and think of something worse -- like, for instance, having to have dinner at Brandi's house with "doggie reminders" everywhere you looked!  Or sitting beside Ken at the dinner table, having a coughing fit, and having him give you a drink of water out of the glass that Giggy used!   Wow, I'm in a strange mood tonight.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 2

Heh - I'd gladly share Giggy's drinking glass, but wouldn't set foot in Brandi's house.  Hell, I wouldn't even drive by it for fear of catching an STD.  :-)

Drat, now you have me whistling Monty Python's "Always Look at the Bright Side of Life" - strange mood indeed!

• Love 3

I haven't decided whether I'd want to have dinner at Yo's house or not.  On the one hand, it would possibly be catered by one of BH's finest caterers, and I'd kill to listen to David playing the piano.  But ... there's that little thing about the place cards.  Would I get a heart on mine, or would it be empty of affection?  I'm sure it would be empty.  *sniff*

• Love 1

Hi, I'm Rahul. I recognize some of the usernames here from TWoP. I stopped posting a month or so before the boards closed down, but can anyone confirm that this was the agreed upon refugee grounds for RHOBH? I remember several forums being tossed in the ring for contention.

• Love 2

Hi, Rahul, and welcome.  I used to be Mlle Poilane, so I'm one of many who changed monikers.  I'm not aware that there was any consensus about what site to go to.  Some of the posters aren't here, I've noticed.  Whether they dropped out or went somewhere else, I can't say.  In any case, you'll find lots of familiar names on this board -- plus new-to-you nice people on here!  Take off your shoes, put your feet up, and stay a while!

Edited by Lura
  • Love 3

The fact that RHOBH is my favorite of the franchise kind of sucks. I've given the others a chance but cannot get past the constant shouting matches (looking at you Atlanta and NJ). Yet NJ and especially Atlanta are constantly airing. I suppose I'm in the minority because one woutd assume that higher ratings = more air time. NJ seems to be on less than Atlanta. There's at least somewhat of a break. NJ has one spin off, Manzod With Children (ugh). Atlanta has had numerous weddings and spin offs like Don't Be Tardy, Queens of Fashion, etc. Perhaps that is what is throwing me off?

Tomorrow night I suppose that we'll all be glued to our screens, watching for things to snark about!  I'm unenthused about seeing Taylor Armstrong again (or does she use a different last name now?)  I had hoped that she'd left her nose and her lips in Colorado, and -- dumb me -- I expected never to see her again.  If they're bringing back Taylor, why don't they class up the act and bring in Dana for a few laughs?

How long does it take for seven women (plus Taylor and Adrienne) to say hello?  That's when the fighting will start.  Besides, has there ever been a White Party without at least one fight?  We all know that where there's a White Party, Kyle gets her opportunity to do her fake sobbing scenes to show the world that, by golly, Meryl Streep has nothing on her! 

When I watched the preview at Bravo, I noticed that Brandi didn't look all that happy.  See?  I told you that someone would be gunning for a fight!

More than anything, I'm sorry that Adrienne will be returning, even for a moment.  The last time I saw her, I thought it was the last time.  Why can't she stay home and throw a vodka party in her back yard, and paint some nude models? 

See you soon -- after the slaughter!

Edited by Lura
  • Love 2

Tomorrow night I suppose that we'll all be glued to our screens, watching for things to snark about!  I'm unenthused about seeing Taylor Armstrong again (or does she use a different last name now?)  I had hoped that she'd left her nose and her lips in Colorado, and -- dumb me -- I expected never to see her again.  If they're bringing back Taylor, why don't they class up the act and bring in Dana for a few laughs?

Don't forget about Taylor's TEETH. Those Chompers are HUGE!

I've heard that Sunday is the day to hit The Ivy because of all the stars who come for brunch, but I've also heard that it's swarming with onlookers and paparazzi outside on Sundays, so I think I'd avoid that day of the week.

That would be the day to go!  The paparazzi means you have a good shot at seeing someone famous.  I would love that and of course the food is good.  

Since the show is filming now, you've got a good chance at spotting some of them either there or at SUR. More likely at SUR. Be sure to check out Kyle's boutique, they will probably be filming there some also.

The filming is over.  This airs months after it is taped giving time to edit and put the story lines together. 

Oh lawdy, zoeysmom, it's traveling.  I just came in to post this link:

http://www.allabouttrh.com/tori-spelling-joining-real-housewives/

Tori Spelling’s reality show TrueTori is ending and she might be looking for a new reality show to jump on to.

Tori recently spent time with RHOBH’s Lisa Rinna and RHOA’s Phaedra Parks at a Rinna’s Christmas party. Ever since this sighting rumors are swirling that Tori is vying to join the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills cast.

Lisa posted a photo of the trio at her Christmas party on Instagram with the caption: “Well well well. Ho ho ho.”

To which I say, "Well well well.  NO NO NO."

• Love 5

ZaldamoWilder, on 18 Dec 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

suomi, this is the kind of tea I live to sip. Lol!! Thank you darl!   Shame it didn't work out, especially considering her subsequent choices.  I remember him from back in the day.  Shit, two of them together must've been like looking directly at the sun.

Looking into the sun pretty well sums it us. Her frame was much smaller in person than I expected, and then that hair and that smile with her deep tan: wow! He was deeply tanned with very white teeth and sun-bleached hair. He was boy-coming-into-manhood and she was all-woman even tho not curvy. Both were extremely friendly and polite, and good with the crowd and especially the SO athletes. Charles Bronson and his wife Jill Ireland were especially nice. One of their children was a SO athlete so we saw them often over the years. My sister, who still swims like she was built by Walt Disney's engineers, enjoyed competing anywhere but I liked the smaller/regional venues.

Here's another one from that time/'78 that's not as juicy but it's cute. My mom and I were doing our usual thing in Palm Springs: browsing in two stores and buying in a third (because that's how long my 7-year-old could behave), having lunch, and then heading home for mai tais while we baked poolside. We did our two favorites first (Covers For Lovers and Bed Bath & Me) and then were trying on clothing somewhere. I fairly quickly began to realize that my daughter was playing among/under the clothing racks and she'd never done that before, and I knew I had to get right on it. I followed the sound of her laughter and found Norman Fell/Mr Roper from Three's Company (which IIRC was the #1 show, or right up there, at the time) rising from his hands/knees and motioning my daughter to "Ssssh" while saying "I think they're looking for us." I'm not sure which one of them was more chastened when they saw me. He laughed and said "I'm waiting for my wife" and I laughed and said "And you're doing a fine job of it." He gave my daughter a silver dollar and his autograph and she saved both for many years.

• Love 4

If I have to be subjected to another season with Brandi and Tori, I'll gladly pass.

This. I tried watching that trainwreck "True Tori" and  quite honestly could never make it through an entire episode. God awful. Worse, to me it was child abuse  being televised. The fact that those poor children of hers were constantly on camera while their parents alternately fought or had meltdowns. Well, No. Just No.

I doubt Tori could be on this show anyway because it wouldn't be all about her. Please, let that be true.  

Brandi and Tori on the same TV show would certainly end the debate about whether or not the US participates in Torture. I'd rather be waterboarded. 

• Love 3

ZaldamoWilder, on 18 Dec 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

Looking into the sun pretty well sums it us. Her frame was much smaller in person than I expected, and then that hair and that smile with her deep tan: wow! He was deeply tanned with very white teeth and sun-bleached hair. He was boy-coming-into-manhood and she was all-woman even tho not curvy. Both were extremely friendly and polite, and good with the crowd and especially the SO athletes. Charles Bronson and his wife Jill Ireland were especially nice. One of their children was a SO athlete so we saw them often over the years. My sister, who still swims like she was built by Walt Disney's engineers, enjoyed competing anywhere but I liked the smaller/regional venues.

Here's another one from that time/'78 that's not as juicy but it's cute. My mom and I were doing our usual thing in Palm Springs: browsing in two stores and buying in a third (because that's how long my 7-year-old could behave), having lunch, and then heading home for mai tais while we baked poolside. We did our two favorites first (Covers For Lovers and Bed Bath & Me) and then were trying on clothing somewhere. I fairly quickly began to realize that my daughter was playing among/under the clothing racks and she'd never done that before, and I knew I had to get right on it. I followed the sound of her laughter and found Norman Fell/Mr Roper from Three's Company (which IIRC was the #1 show, or right up there, at the time) rising from his hands/knees and motioning my daughter to "Ssssh" while saying "I think they're looking for us." I'm not sure which one of them was more chastened when they saw me. He laughed and said "I'm waiting for my wife" and I laughed and said "And you're doing a fine job of it." He gave my daughter a silver dollar and his autograph and she saved both for many years.

Girl, I live!  That was delicious. 

You'll have to forgive me for a moment I got creeped the hell out the direction of the Norman Fell story but am glad it landed in adorable territory.

Sorry, I forgot what you said your family's affiliation to SO was, but it sounds like they were some great memories.  That's the organization the Shrivers started, no?

Sunning in Palm Springs with mai tais by the pool?  Um, I think I totally want your life!    I'm gonna go pick up some Bartenura and WireWrap and I will pop by later, how's 2:30 sound? 

• Love 5

Off-topic chatter. Does that mean we can talk about anything? On the other threads there is talk about how sad these moms are because their children are going off to college.

I grew up in the 50's and 60's. We were lower middle class, lots of kids, dad in the navy, we didn't have much. My mother always said it was good we lived in Hawaii and San Diego because we didn't have to worry about winter wear. My parents didn't give us much physically and they weren't great in the emotional area either. There was no encouragement about grades or outside interests, I never once showed my parents a report card all through jr. and sr. High school. They never asked. College or higher education was never discussed at our house. The minute we graduated from high school or turned 18, it was don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. None of has amounted to anything.

I see the love and attention these children receive and the involvement of the parents and it makes me weep. I know lots, LOTS, of children have it so much worse, but I'm 62 years old and my life has been a waste. No husband, no boyfriends, no "career", no friends, no nothing.

And now, for the first time in my life, I'm going to say something.

• Love 13

Oh, ub40fan, you have touched my heart and I'm sure the heart of so many here. And you've said so much that is good and worthy of thought. Having your children appear on a reality show maybe isn't perfect, but they treat them with love and goodness. I do believe Bill and especially Jen have lived every moment of their lives getting so much attention (call that stares even), they don't see it as the worst thing in the world to live under a microscope. It is what they are used to. They have kind of expressed this thought -- if people are going to stare at you anyway, put it to use. 

And, ub40fan, I look forward to hearing much more from you in the days ahead -- on this thread and perhaps others. You write from much wisdom and seriousness of thought. There is all too little of that.

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 6

Off-topic chatter. Does that mean we can talk about anything? On the other threads there is talk about how sad these moms are because their children are going off to college.

I grew up in the 50's and 60's. We were lower middle class, lots of kids, dad in the navy, we didn't have much. My mother always said it was good we lived in Hawaii and San Diego because we didn't have to worry about winter wear. My parents didn't give us much physically and they weren't great in the emotional area either. There was no encouragement about grades or outside interests, I never once showed my parents a report card all through jr. and sr. High school. They never asked. College or higher education was never discussed at our house. The minute we graduated from high school or turned 18, it was don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. None of has amounted to anything.

I see the love and attention these children receive and the involvement of the parents and it makes me weep. I know lots, LOTS, of children have it so much worse, but I'm 62 years old and my life has been a waste. No husband, no boyfriends, no "career", no friends, no nothing.

You have friends here!  Post more in all kinds of threads so we get to know you more.  I have a dear friend staying with me now, from England; we met online and have been good friends for 6 years now.  This is her 3rd visit.  Go on facebook if you are not there already.   It is not too late, today is the first day of the rest of your life!   

• Love 6

Ub40fan, I think your words, so full of honesty and wisdom, touched many of us. I have also enjoyed your posts on other threads in the past. Your voice and opinion matter and are welcome here. As Wings707 said above, let this be the first day of the rest of your days and find ways to reach out for support. I look forward to reading more of your insights.

• Love 8

Sending you much love Ub40fan. Your life up till now has given you a unique perspective. Now chose to live it in a way that feeds your soul and enriches you. Start with baby steps, just one thing, make a choice and take a chance, just like you did today with your post. It's hard, I had to do it, and over time I was rewarded, usually by the unexpected and not in a way I thought I would be.

You can do it. I'm keeping a good thought for you.

• Love 6

UB40fan, I just want to thank you for reminding me that love/attention/concern/lifelong loyalty from a parent aren't guarantees in life. (Not that I didn't already know this but hopefully you know what I mean.) My mom gave and continues to give all of the above and your post has inspired me to do something nice for her to remind her how much she means to me because I probably am guilty of being bratty occasionally even at 32 years of age. Never ungrateful though. Still your post really got me thinking and I want to show my gratitude more because she really went above and beyond and it was especially difficult because she was a single mom then. (She remarried and had another child naturally in her mid forties so she did the young single working mom thing and then later had the married suburban soccer mom experience.) My experience growing up [compared to the experience of] my much younger sibling couldn't have been more different since my mom turned into a SAHM by the time my sister was two. Love, affection, and attention--we were given those things in abundance and I'm grateful for it.

Thanks again UB40fan for reminding me how lucky I am to have a parent who is so supportive.

Also, I hope you keep posting, I think you should consider joining Facebook and in general find a way to start opening up a little. I know people say it's harder to make friends later in life and while that's true on some level I don't think it's ever too late to develop meaningful friendships and relationships. Plus, millions of people aren't trying online dating for no reason. ;-) Good luck with everything. I wish you all the best.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 5

I can't stop crying. All of you are so kind.

ETA: ok, some time has gone by and during that time I found a cure for the blues. I've been watching Robin Williams on YouTube. What happened to him is heartbreaking, but he sure did make us laugh.

And thanks again to those who responded so kindly to my self indulgent, whiny ass. There are so many things in this world to be thankful for. I need to shut the fuck up.

Edited by ub40fan
  • Love 10

ub40fan - No, I haven't watched Monk.  But I know that if it weren't for self pity, I'd get no pity at all.  :-D

psst - check your PM (the little envelope icon near the top of the page, just in case you don't know about this feature) for a private message from poor little old moi.  ;-)

ub40 {{heartclutch}} girl nobody is nothing.  please don't ever say that in your head or out loud again.   and please don't stop talking.  the longer I'm here (these boards) and the more of you I talk to, the more I find we have in common.   you'd be surprised by the people with whom you have a gang of stuff in common so I hope you don't stop sharing it.    As mentioned above, you've got friends in here.  I've never been married either but girl I hear it's a shitload more work than I'm willing to do.  lol.  and the last guy I went out with asked me what color my panties were (but didn't know how to pronounce my name) - teeeerust me when I tell you, you're missing nuh-ting.  

There's a thread here somewhere - called miscellaneous stuff maybe? don't quote me on the title but it's about meet n' greets.  Honestly, we talk to each other all the time, we really should say hi if we're in the same area.     Anyway, in the meantime, brace yourself, I'm a cyber tacklehugger!

• Love 8

I can't stop crying. All of you are so kind.

ETA: ok, some time has gone by and during that time I found a cure for the blues. I've been watching Robin Williams on YouTube. What happened to him is heartbreaking, but he sure did make us laugh.

And thanks again to those who responded so kindly to my self indulgent, whiny ass. There are so many things in this world to be thankful for. I need to shut the fuck up.

No, no, no!  There is no shutting the fuck up allowed on this board!  We are to spout the fuck out!   

We need a thread  Support Each Other Through the Hard Times.   We have this on another board I frequent and it is nice to have.  In the meantime vent right here!  You are among friends who have problems too.  Everyone does. 

• Love 2

I can really relate to you in this regard. I grew up under the same circumstances. None of us got the love and attention these kids do But something else that for me was more important. My parents didn't have the means to take off to exotic vacations together around the world, they were basically stuck with us and responsibilities of raising us 5 kids. I had never had a babysitter in my life and except for an occasional overnight stay at grandma's house, we never slept anywhere but our own bed. Our big treat was 2 weeks at a cottage on a lake in Maine. When we were 18 we couldn't wait to get out and get married and be independent, and there were no tears shed when we did that too. We weren't told we were any more special than anyone else, we were never given things just for the sake of giving them to us and anything we did get was to replace something that was totally worn out and full of holes. We were expected to be in school but as far as grades go, I don't ever remember either of my parents asking to see my report card either. 

Having less doesn't equate to being less. That's all I have to say.

• Love 7

I don't know what it is about this place, but it seems to attract the BEST people.  I can honestly say I've "met" and made more good friends here than I have in the past decade or so in real life.  Full disclosure: I'm a hermit by choice and prefer not to put myself "out there", yet have no problem "lettin' it all hang out" in these very forums; much to my eternal surprise and delight, the response has been positive and accepting. 

ZaldamoWilder - too true about finding things in common with people here - it is downright amaaazing.   Who needs a support group or a shrink when you've got PTVers, eh!   :-)

• Love 6

I'm so embarrassed. I can't believe I allowed myself to get as maudlin and full of self pity as I have been. Life is tough for everybody; we all have our crosses to bear. I'm 62 years old, it's time to get over it. It's not like anything about my childhood can be fixed now.

The truth is that I'm facing kidney surgery, possibly cancerous, this month and I'm trying very hard not to panic about it. So the fear and pain come out in other ways. I can't begin to tell you all how much I appreciated all your kind words and the empathy I received from so many people. (I'm especially talking about you, walnut queen). This truly is a community.

• Love 7

ub40fan - No judgement, no shame, no regrets.  I am turning 60 soon and have been disgustingly maudlin on many occasions - the latest over a sprained foot, fer fuck's sake!  (now it is I who should be embarrassed).  I don't think we ever "get over" childhood stuff; I certainly haven't, and neither has my 84 y/o Mum.  Scar tissue forms over the deep wounds, but still hurts like hell when bumped.

I'm a paganish non-praying type, but I believe in putting good things out into the Universe, and I am sending nothing but my best out there on your behalf.  And if there's some sort of animal heaven (I'm hoping), then I have LOTS of little angels ready to put my goodwill to work for your successful surgery and speedy recovery.  

Please believe we want to be here for you in any supporting ways we can, because we're a bunch of snarky SAINTS, eh.  :-)

If I couldn't laugh with y'all, I'd be crying all the time.

• Love 3

ub40fan - I'm a long long LONG time lurker both here and on TWOP….the people here are not only incredibly witty, but also incredibly thoughtful.  You're in a great place to vent, if that's what you need to do.  I'm sending lots and lots of positive vibes your way - keep talking and letting us know how you're doing, and keep the faith!!  

• Love 2

I can't find the post but in one of the episode threads someone postulated that there's probably a fair few other soap actresses who might be interested in this gig; wondered if we could have a Speculation thread for that? And as a regular (i.e. non-mod) user do I even have the admin power to create one if so?

• Love 1

That was me, rubyred! I'll start a thread if people really are interested and it's okay with the mods.

I liked seeing Kyle filming on Days last season and liked that producers made sure to include a scene with Daytime Diva Deidre. She's one of the main ones that I'm curious about as far as how they're reacting to Eileen getting the gig. 

Others who come to mind as far as wondering what they think/if they're watching/would they be willing to do reality TV include Melody Thomas Scott, Lauralee Bell, Sharon Case, Allison Sweeney, Kelly Monaco, Tracey E. Bregman, Katherine Kelly Lang, and Hunter Tylo and that's just off the top of my head.  

I was actually secretly happy to learn a new home was being created here at Previously TV where I could return to posting. The true silver lining of TWoP's end! Welcome!

I remember there was a time when we couldn't even debate whether or not Kim had an issue with alcoholism/addiction. The list of forbidden subjects was a mile long at one point and we certainly wouldn't have been able to speculate on Kim's current storyline so I'm thankful to have a place to post where I don't feel as though I'm treated like a toddler. Ugh, remember the ban on talk of Scary Island for RHNY? That one lasted for the duration of TWoP's existence. Discussion of Russell and Taylor was banned at one point as well. We weren't even allowed to properly quote cast members if they happened to use certain words and this sort of thing was only a problem in the Housewives threads. I don't know how else to put it but for me it basically felt like a story of a nerd going mad with power after being appointed hall monitor. 

I hope no offense is taken to any mods here because I truly think that every single one at PTV is awesome and I very much appreciate what all of you do. Thank you again! The experience with the above person is the only time I've ever had such opinions about a mod and I've been posting about TV since 2003. 

Edited by Lisin
  • Love 12

OK, the only thing worse was the multiple persona poster/trolls who made my long and happy life over there miserable.  Bad apples happen, everywhere.  I loved it there for many years, and I love it here now.  I am a serial monogamist, eh!   :-)

I transitioned here early, and was delighted to engage in a fanwanking convo with a MOD on an obscure thread.  That was the wind beneath my wings ...  (and now I'm an insufferable monster poster myself!).   :-)

Seriously, for one hot minute, I appreciate a place where grownups can come to play nicely.  Thank you, David T. Cole.  I promise to only stalk Gordon Lightfoot from afar. woof woof.

Edited by Lisin
  • Love 4