Type keyword(s) to search

Shameless Fame Whores: Sister Wives in the Media

• Start Topic

He repairs equipment in mines as a job. Maddie dropped out of college after her freshman year. Why the rush to get engaged?? His age?

She did?! Holy crap I am so out of the loop. I didn't even know Robyn was pregnant until a few weeks ago. Is there some article with the rationale given for her leaving? I'm disappointed. I hope it's what she really wants.

Edited by EarlGreyTea

Didn't Maddie convert to mainstream LDS? It would not surprise me if she is being pressured to get married young and fairly quickly.

Yep. On reflection, this makes a whole lot more sense. Their culture is all about marrying young, even the slightly less conservative groups like BYU students and their "ring by spring" mantra.

I really, really hope she does finish college. A law degree is demanding.

Edited by EarlGreyTea

Yep. On reflection, this makes a whole lot more sense. Their culture is all about marrying young, even the slightly less conservative groups like BYU students and their "ring by spring" mantra.

I really, really hope she does finish college. A law degree is demanding.

Meri fowarded a tweet by Maddie that said yes, in answer to all the questions she's seen, she intends to complete her education, all the way up to law school. Meri's giddy response was how cool that will be, along with "all the doctors" they're going to have. Like Mariah? Hm. We'll see, Meri. We'll see.
  • Love 1

Does Maddie's fiance have money? Who's paying for her education now?

I remember when Maddie started college, Janelle said that she hoped Maddie didn't get involved with a man and compromise her education. She obviously knew that this was a possibility with her daughter. I hope Maddie does complete her education, but regardless of what she says, I think it's iffy.

I agree. As many of us know first-hand, at Maddie's age it's frighteningly easy to tell yourself you'll go back to school "soon," only to have the realities of life make that a more and more complicated choice.
  • Love 5
I agree. As many of us know first-hand, at Maddie's age it's frighteningly easy to tell yourself you'll go back to school "soon," only to have the realities of life make that a more and more complicated choice.

Yes.  I got married at 19 and  promised I'd finish school.  24 years later, I got my bachelor's degree.  Life and kids happen in between, so I hope that Maddie practices birth control.  Having children makes it that much more difficult.  That guy is older, so I'm sure he'd like to start a family right away. 

• Love 2

Since he's Maddie's uncle by marriage would their kids be both grandkids and cousins to Kody?  Makes your head spin.

Since he's Maddie's uncle by marriage would their kids be both grandkids and cousins to Kody?  Makes your head spin.

• Love 2

Since he's Maddie's uncle by marriage would their kids be both grandkids and cousins to Kody?  Makes your head

IMO, calling him an "uncle by marriage" is stretching it a little. He's the sibling of the woman her uncle married, so more like "uncle-in-law by marriage," and their kids would not be Kody's cousins. Is it too close to family for my comfort level? Yeah, probably (if I imagine my stepdaughter marrying her uncle's brother-in-law, there's a bit of a squick factor). Of course, in Kody World it's just your everyday sort of mildly creepy connection.

Edited by SometimesBites
  • Love 2

Weren't many of those clips for the new season from previous seasons?  Or are they really just that repetitive?

The constant replaying of clips, either past or present is awful, it 'truly' makes it feel as if we are getting scammed out of new material time, just to burn up the minutes and make what would be one show, like 2-3. I remember when TV didn't used to do this, but many of the shows do it now, it really takes away from the entertainment/fun factor, having to watch the same thing over and over.

Christine: I didn't know men could be such bastards.

Um, sure. 

Her using that word period- is the irony lost on her? Not that I'm saying I agree with the old-time use of the word, but lots of people understand that word to mean something besides when a man is being a d*ck.  I wonder where her head is at these days, we aren't hearing much from her. She seems like she is trying to be more light and easy-going, maybe to make herself 'fun' again for her crissy doll. I mean Kody.  (reference for those too young to get it a  doll from the 70s whose hair you could shorten or lengthen , they had baby and teen versions: http://www.blippee.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ideal-crissy-6.jpg) It does look sorta like him though, especially the eyes.

I really want to see Meri thriving and dating, while all the other women are miserable and still vying for Kody's love.

Even though she is infuriating, she seems more pathetic and medicated than ever, It's so hard not to feel bad for her, that awful scene of her ruminating over the court papers and trying to convince herself "oh this shouldn't have control over me...it doesn't mean anything..everything is as it was.." and so on..the reason she is having such cognitive dissonance is she knows everything is NOT (add the Meri pronunciation 'NauhhhhTTTTTT) as it was, and she knows it. I guess telling yourself all that happy horse(*&^ about the afterlife is better than thinking, dang, that was basically my trump card in all this, and even that whole past romantic story of them being all young and in love was pretty much blasted away when new toy came along. Honey, look what I got you! "don't bother me, I'm still playing with it."  You can tell she isn't really quick enough to have done a mental ledger of all this just yet, that and she prob has her PhD in Denial, which is stopping her from adding 2+2.

I'm wondering if some of Meri's tweets could refer to her dealing with menopause.  Some women experience a real sense of loss at that time.  That, plus the divorce and Robyn's pregnancy could be very depressing.  I wish she would leave and find a nice guy and enter a non-poly relationship.  I've always liked her.

I've been going through that phase off and on (it can't make up it's mind whether it wants to officially quit or not) but it's not doing that for me. I had more of that in the late 30's, when I would occasionally get all gaga over babies and want to hold them and miss my own kids being little and stuff like that, more than actually wanting to start all over with another one. Now that those kinds of hormones have backed off, when I hear babies cry now, I'm relieved it isn't mine. Maybe that sounds awful. I'll still play with them or hold them or whatnot, but that's not quite the same thing, is it? Unfortunately for Meri, I think it is a bigger thing than the normal hormone things that happen. She seems like possibly clinically depressed.  When they were having another group chat and Janelle was going on about the kids getting older and the teens moving out , Meri looked like she was ready to break down, probably both missing her only child and also maybe feeling stung she might feel like Janelle is lucky she gets to experience even the growing up and leaving part like 5-6 times, and Meri will never have that feeling Janelle was talking about, like "well what do I want to do now?" because a lot of Janelle's time was taken up either working or the kids- but it is a natural progression to feel that OK, Ive completed that part of her life.

In many ways I feel like Meri feels ripped off, and maybe rightly so, whether or not she signed up for it, she kind of did get screwed over (shortage of kids, not really getting super close to either J or C, then the Robin debacle), and that has probably led to her being somewhat of a control freak, the constantly being let down may have caused her to cling even tighter for control over what she could have control over, including, as other posters have said in their own way, being willing to throw herself under multiple buses in order to cling to whatever good she could find.

• Love 3

Un. Freaking. Believable. I just paid a quick visit to CJ's blog, where a tweet in the SWs feed leaped out at me.

It's a retweet, by Kody, of a tweet by Rand Paul:

"@BernieSanders who's going to pay for all of your "free" stuff?"

How dare that grifter jackass pretend that his family's entire existence hasn't been made possible by "free stuff?"

I could hurt a polygamist right now.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 16

Didn't Maddie convert to mainstream LDS? It would not surprise me if she is being pressured to get married young and fairly quickly.

As a LDS Mormon, i can tell you that there is pressure to marry young.  However, education is highly valued for most LDS families. There is always the exception but education for women is important.  Most women do not work after marriage and kids but a woman having a college degree is considered important. Every single woman in my church has a college education. 

LDS Mormons believe that the education that you get here on earth goes with you in the next life so being educated is good thing. 

Maddie's husband, culture, personal circumstances might be different but at least, LDS encourage women to have a college degree or higher. Hopefully that will help encourage her to continue with her education. 

• Love 1

Un. Freaking. Believable. I just paid a quick visit to CJ's blog, where a tweet in the SWs feed leaped out at me.

It's a retweet, by Kody, of a tweet by Rand Paul:

"@BernieSanders who's going to pay for all of your "free" stuff?"

How dare that grifter jackass pretend that his family's entire existence hasn't been made possible by "free stuff?"

I could hurt a polygamist right now.

Ko-douche must have forgotten about all those bankruptcies, food stamps and other aid. Ugh. What a selective memory.
  • Love 4

Somebody has to guard the heiress of the SWC fortune.

Although kidnapping that witch would spin out like the Ransom of Red Chief.  The kidnapper would be paying somebody to take her back after the blubbering drove him crazy.

• Love 3

Does Maddie's fiance have money? Who's paying for her education now?

I remember when Maddie started college, Janelle said that she hoped Maddie didn't get involved with a man and compromise her education. She obviously knew that this was a possibility with her daughter. I hope Maddie does complete her education, but regardless of what she says, I think it's iffy.

Is Maddie staying in Utah?  Now that she's converted to LDS, she can possibly go to BYU which is heavily subsidized by tithing.

Someone on another message board said that Sister Wives is starting to take a sinister and dark tone. I agree with them. Divorce from Meri and legal marriage to Robyn, adopting another man's children, Meri catfish scandal, the mental abuse of Christine. This family is breaking down before our eyes.

I agree. this show always seemed like a fairly lighthearted look at another type of lifestyle. It was fun to snark on Kody's hair obsession or Meri's need for a wetbar for her pastries. But lately the themes have been quite serious and sad. I wonder if it was the pressure of living an unusual lifestyle under the lens of reality TV that sent this family off the rails, or whether it was destined to happen, show or not?

• Love 5

I think that it's so ironic that the Browns did this show to show us that polygamy is ok. When I first tuned in, I honestly believed that any lifestyle chosen by adults and not abused by sickos, could work. The Browns have single handedly proven to me that I am wrong. They have shown me that no matter how hard people try to do this right, this lifestyle doesn't work. It is toxic for everyone involved.

Spot on.

I often wonder if Kody realizes just how vile he is on tv. Is he really like that IRL - or even worse?

I often wonder if Kody realizes just how vile he is on tv.

Someone as narcissistic as Kody probably thinks he is perfect in every way.  Why else would so many women adore him?  Threw in the God complex and he has license to do and think whatever he wants at the expense and control of the harem.

• Love 2

I can only imagine how ANGRY Kody is about this.He must be seeething!

He has always garnered such control over these women and the family, and he cant control this catching media attention. 

This story, Im sure in his eyes, will expose that someone in hus cult doesn't buy his Dreamboat/awesome dude persona he keeps desperately trying to convey 

• Love 2

I can only imagine the hell that Meri's life has become. No doubt that Robyn is egging Kody's anger on every single day.

If she steps out of Kody's control, she could make the whole catfish story work for her.

Anyone else wondering if Maddie will be sporting a baby bump in a month or so? The whole engagement seemed to happen so quickly. They would never admit it if she were pregnant. Guess we will have to wait and see.

• Love 1

Isn't he 'old' to be mainstream LDS and single? My guess is college was either harder or more expensive than she expected, and they want to get married so they can live together/be intimate. 28 and 19 is a huge age and maturity gap. 

• Love 1

I don't think there will be a season 7 anymore. What should it be about? Maddie's wedding? Two episodes. Another home birth with the same actors? Seen one, seen them all. A blossoming new business? A fashion line called "Frumpy and Dumpy"?  Designed for the sad, droopy, eternally pregnant and pooped out polygamous woman of today? Produced by some poor textile workers in Bangladesh who believe they're sewing tents together for some travelling circus because of the gigantic amount of fabric they are handling?

Who wants to see four female main actresses constantly whining, crying and snotting (always without a tissue) about their miserable life, suffering from PMS if not from premenopause already? And a gigantic egomanic ringmaster who is desperately trying to win first prize in the Joseph Smith lookalike contest 2016?

These new episodes  (2 out of 5 containing stuff that's been regurgitated for the umpteenth time) are nothing really really new because of the constant marriage-, pregnancy-, adoption-reports diligently released by all kinds of media. Oh yeah, I forgot!  Coming Sunday fans can watch them building cardboard boats for a pirate festival regatta (including a whole lot of bitching, moaning, groaning and complaining) and then see 'em rowing around in circles. (!! bruhahaha!!) because The Dope didn't contemplate practising how to row a boat before the competition takes place - and none of his prize-winning sons is there to support His Royal Dumbass in this competition. That'll be a new one! I can see Christine doing the "paddy-cake" clap a hundred times in this delightful one hour coverage  of "Polygamists flying over the Cookoo's Nest in a cul-de-sac". Sorry folks, the preview gave that all away already.

I shudder when I imagine how the dreadful catfish affair could be rehashed into some poppycock tell-all live report by TLC with some bubble-head journalist asking humdrum questions about Meri's assumed affair with a hermaphrodite which actually wasn't an affair at all; it was Meri's new show "The Cesspool Cleaner" or "Fooled yah! - How a polygamous sister wife digs deep into Internet cesspools to unmask ugly, evil big-mouth catfish and their treacherous strategies."

So, really, why should this "reality" television series be continued? I just don't get it.

Edited by Laura-Rose1957
  • Love 8

Wouldn't it be great if Meri got a spin-off show? It would be about starting over, dealing with divorce and a conniving SW, going to college and riding the waves of internet dating. It would be awesome. In fact TLC should offer a spin-off show to any wife that leaves and cancel the SW show. Kody and Robyn would be miserable: no one jealous of their love and no attention. 

• Love 7

Wouldn't it be great if Meri got a spin-off show? It would be about starting over, dealing with divorce and a conniving SW, going to college and riding the waves of internet dating. It would be awesome. In fact TLC should offer a spin-off show to any wife that leaves and cancel the SW show. Kody and Robyn would be miserable: no one jealous of their love and no attention.

I would watch it. And I don't watch this one except for a few minutes here and there. The wives usually seem so miserable that it makes me sad. And angry at men like who mysteriously have all this CONTROL. Bad for my blood pressure.

Meri in a spinoff show would be dead boring to me. She's boring, unless she's stirring drama and manipulating her sisterwives. She's unattractive and really has no redeeming personality traits or interesting hobbies. I can't imagine her being able to hold an audience for 30 minutes. 

• Love 6

Meri in a spinoff show would be dead boring to me. She's boring, unless she's stirring drama and manipulating her sisterwives. She's unattractive and really has no redeeming personality traits or interesting hobbies. I can't imagine her being able to hold an audience for 30 minutes. 

Well I think the current show is so boring I don't watch it either so I'm actually rooting for Meri to get a spin off. But not because I want to watch it. I want to know that Kody has been dumped in a public way. Personally I'd rather Janelle or Christine get away but that seems unlikely so if Meri can dump his butt and then get on TV and talk about it... go for it.

Ugh.:. Every time the commercial comes on with someone saying "it depends on how the judge feels about polygamy" (I think it's Christine but I'm not normally looking at the tv) I want to scream... NO it has NOTHING to do with polygamy... This is not a polygamy issue, while that may be a factor to some degree, if the judge were to rule against the adoption it would not be due to persecution of their life style and probably more the fact that they are trying to rip the children away from their biological father.

• Love 6

And the other thing we learned is that blog writer can't write a grammatically correct sentence to save his/her life. "Demanded that he choose between she and Meri," "Sam also claims an online code between he and Meri," and my head starts to explode.

It's not that hard.

• Love 2

I have a thought regarding Madison, does anyone know if she went through with being baptized into the Mormon church? I feel like I heard at some point she didn't go through with it, but if she did isn't her wedding going to be extremely private, like even the Brown's can't go into the temple? I honestly don't know what the implications would be and if those rules applied since they are kinda a division of lds (right?)... Because if that is true that would mean no wedding special... Well of the ceremony at least.

I have a thought regarding Madison, does anyone know if she went through with being baptized into the Mormon church? I feel like I heard at some point she didn't go through with it, but if she did isn't her wedding going to be extremely private, like even the Brown's can't go into the temple? I honestly don't know what the implications would be and if those rules applied since they are kinda a division of lds (right?)... Because if that is true that would mean no wedding special... Well of the ceremony at least.

I read somewhere that the fiance isn't LDS. I think she changed her mind.

Sadly, it appears that Madison is following in the footsteps of her family.  Making big statements and not following through.

• Love 2

I thought that Maddie converted and was baptized into the LDS church? That story is wrong? What happened????

To answer someone's question above (the quote feature doesn't appear on my screen anymore)...

A LDS couple who holds a temple recommend would get married (sealed) in a LDS temple and it is a private ceremony.

If any LDS couple does not have a temple recommend or for whatever reason chooses not to have a temple wedding, they can get married with a justice officiating in the church building, park, venue etc. like anyone else.

Some couples are converts etc and one side of the family does not have a temple recommend so that family cannot attend the temple ceremony. In that case, many LDS will have a ceremony after the temple ceremony and exchange rings, vows, have readings etc. so everyone can participate.

*To get a temple recommend is a minimum of a one year wait after conversion. So, I think it's a safe bet that Maddie will have a civil ceremony with all the Brown Clowns in attendance.

Edited by Marigold

That sound fishy...more polygamy persecution?

I'm LDS and there were no questions for my conversion about polygamy that I can recall.

Well, who knows? The Browns tend to say what suits them. Hopefully Maddie is different but...

• Love 1