Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Hourglass Sandbox

• Start Topic

From Soap Opera Digest:

Alicia Leigh Willis, who played GH's Courtney from 2001-06, will begin a stint on DAYS on April 22. Look for her to tie into Liam's (Mark Collier) storyline. The actress has been on the show's radar for awhile: She was asked to fill in for Nadia Bjorlin's Chloe in 2010 when Bjorlin fell ill, but the scenes never aired.

Hey guys! I thought I'd pop in and introduce myself! You might recognize me from such boards as the Bold & the Beautiful & the Young & the Restless! I'll be around everyday to help with any questions or problems you might have. So far all the soap fans seem to be an awesome bunch so I don't anticipate any issues! Nice to meet you!

• Love 3

TWoP refugee and brand new Days viewer... I was a lifelong ATWT (RIP) watcher and found myself missing the soap experience. Y&R didn't do it for me and so I turned to Days, which I'm enjoying very much, both for the soapy goodness and snarkability. I do have one question: it seems that many characters -- Nicole especially -- spend a lot of time talking to themselves. Is this pretty usual and should I just get used to it? 

Looking forward to chiming in when I get more comfortable with who's who and such...

• Love 3

Hi janeyjay!  I've been watching Days for as long as I can remember.  My mom watched it when it first started airing and if I was home from school or on summer vacation, I watched too. 

I do have one question: it seems that many characters -- Nicole especially -- spend a lot of time talking to themselves. Is this pretty usual and should I just get used to it?

They talk aloud to themselves, they text aloud to themselves, they read aloud to themselves.  They keep murder weapons in their purses or backpacks and take them out in public places to look at them.  They keep blackmail evidence, pics or docs, in their purses or backpacks and take them out in public places to look at them.  They wander two feet away from someone to speak privately to someone else in a regular tone of voice.

So, IMO, yep, probably something you should get used to because it's pretty usual!  LOL

• Love 4
(edited)

I've been putting this off but I've been watching Days since probably 1979 when I was lucky enough to only get morning classes my senior year and ditched the rest of the day.  In college my bf and our friends were big fans.  Days almost lost me during Marlena's possession.  I stopped watching for almost a year during the Colleen story so I don't know who John Black is supposed to be, and I really don't care.

I don't have cable or a dvr so thank goodness for Hulu, but I try to catch the shows live.  These days I don't have any live fans to snark with and I got SO SICK of repetitive FB comments.  I'm happy the Days page has so many likes, anything to make the show more popular is fine with me, but they'll get thousands of comments that boil down to "I hate ______" "Bring back Belle and Shawn" "Eric and Nicole are a supercouple!" and "Where's Bo?" 2 years after he left.  So I rediscovered TWOP two weeks before they shut down :(.  I never commented there but back in the day I read every Alias recap TWOP put out. 

I hoped someone on the Days forum would say where we were all going to go and I'm happy to be here with such a group of insightful, hilarious people who read each other's comments.  The laughs really help because I am going through a very tough time right now. I'm one of the 2.7 million people whose unemployment was cut off at the first of the year.  My son's father passed away after a long illness this spring and missed his college graduation in May.  I finally have health ins but can't get in to see a dr.

Sometimes I try to explain to people how great it is to watch actors over a generation.  I am a huge fan of Sami since I've watched that girl since she came on the show at 16.  Arianne Z is a great actress; it's too bad how the writers destroyed her by needing the Priestly Parts (thanks, boes). I think Jen Lilly is a great actress and I like JJ too.  Love Sonny and Victor.  Blake Beris is an actor we'll see more of in the future. I loved to hate him.  My unpopular opinion is I like Sami and EJ together, even though I think Lucas is the love of her life.  Their relationship reminds me of my ex and I, and our son.  I don't blame EJ for leaving, he has movie star looks and the writers have had him playing 100 different personalities.

I mean, what other show do you watch for (yikes) 35 years?  I'll snark all day about Jawn and Mar, and Jen and Abs, but it will be a sad, sad day when this comes to an end.

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 5
Now that I think about it, if that picture of EJ and Abby got whipped out one more time, it was going to need its own agent and a contract.

The picture has now been whipped out more often than EJ’s….well you get the picture.

I stopped watching for almost a year during the Colleen story so I don't know who John Black is supposed to be, and I really don't care.

Me too!

My unpopular opinion is I like Sami and EJ together, even though I think Lucas is the love of her life.

I suspect among Days’ overall viewers it’s not that unpopular at all but among some boards it is.  I too like Sami and EJ together when they are done right—as in partners in crime. I love the way that EJ can calm Sami’s hysteric and I think Sami is a perfect fit for him—as in she can walk in the room to find him sitting with a stack of money and a hit man’s phone number and calmly say “do it.”  At the same time, I love their fights when they throw expensive antiques around the Dimera living room. I’m still waiting for Sami to hit the big portrait of Stef the next time EJ ducks. Those kinds of fights between them are hilarious and not something most couples could pull off.  This is not to say that at one time I didn’t like Sami and Lucas together, but now I like them better as friends.

I’ve watched Days since the early-mid ‘80’s. (Taking breaks during years where I just lost interest or had too much going on in my life to see it regularly). The first episode I recall was Marlena and Roman’s (WN) original wedding.  I still think the best days of the show’s lives was during that decade when there was lots of mystery and adventure storylines and couples were written with epic romances between actors/actresses that had great chemistry together. My favorite characters were Steve, Kayla, Bo, Hope, and Shane, although I was never a big fan of Kim and I rooted for Shane to end up with Gabrielle (Eve’s mother).   I miss the multitude of villains that the show used back then. It wasn’t just Stefano the big evil one; there were plenty of people that were devious but not all powerful (Emma Donovan, Alex Marshall, Savannah Wilder, Britta, etc.), or who appeared legit to the other characters but were later revealed to be off their rockers (Harper Deveraux, Dr. Hopkins, Gillian Forrester, etc.). Most of those reveals were what made tuning in and not missing an episode worth it.  I wish some channel showed reruns just to see some of those times again and be able to discuss them. (Or make snark them—As in, look someone is standing on the pier looking off into the water in a shady area of town while creeps, criminals, and knifers, are on the loose.)

I’ve never been impressed with Nicole. She’s always just sorta been there to me until this current ridiculous storyline where I’m just loathing her.  I think Theresa’s character has a lot of potential and the actress is good but I’m afraid the current writers will blow it. Like wise, I thought there was potential for some good stuff with Theresa and Eve as they are sort-of two peas in a pod but without Charlotte Ross returning to play Eve, I don’t really want to see her come back. I also think the NuBen has potential but if he’s paired with Abby, there’s no hope. Hate Miss Deveaux with a passion.  I think Daniel, Jennifer, Eric, and Nicole eat up too much screen time for four people that are pretty boring.  I think Victor is still one of the show’s greatest assets, too bad they don’t use him more.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yes, Sami has to destroy that portrait before she leaves!

John Aniston is 80 so I'm pretty sure he's semi retired and happy to do the fantastic cameos they give him.  Charlotte Ross is 46, it looks like the actress they're bringing in will be closer in age to a big sister to Theresa, who said a while back on the show she is 27 (which makes her interest in hs JJ pretty creepy but I think it's more of a control thing). Still, I don't understand why they would want to reintroduce Eve or how she will be relevant.  Other than maybe they want this particular actress.  I don't read spoilers.  I don't even remember how Eve is related to the Donovans, just that she was with really shady characters. 

Who will ever forget Nurse Kayla removing Steve's patch and showing him to trust her?

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 1

You are probably right about John Aniston. He definitely makes the most of his cameos. He has better lines than anyone else on the show. 

Ahh, Kayla taking off Steve's patch was when Days knew how to do things right. So much raw emotion and intimacy in that one scene. I wish they'd bred couples and characters like that today. Makes me nostalgic.

So Theresa is supposed to be 27....I wondered what her age was. It's so hard to tell between the SORAS disease and the fact that she doesn't seem to discriminate with age in regards to the men she tries to sleep with.  I like her character but I wish her end game was a little clearer to the viewers. Is she starting a collection of men in every age range?....JJ is a teen, I assume Brady is in his late thirties, Daniel in his forties???  Personally, I'd love to see her complete her collection and have at least a one nighter with NuBen (after he has a few dates with Abigail) just to get Abby's in a uproar and so she can see how that feels.to be cheated on. 

• Love 1

I like Theresa as the resident bad girl -- and think the actress is simply stunning -- but I'm hoping there are more layers to her than just being the BAD GIRL. Don't *hate* Abby yet (probably because I'm new and she physically resembles a good friend of mine) but I can see where she and Jennifer who seems completely humourless ("Daniel, blah blah blah. Yada yada yada, Daniel. Daniel!"), are going to get old quickly. 

And I laughed immediately upon seeing John Black for the first time... because Smell The Fart is true! It's true! 

• Love 2

I don't know who John Black is supposed to be

Nobody does.  They had him as a half brother of Stefano and the son of Colleen Brady for years and then dropped that idea because they couldn't have that if they were going to have Brady sleeping with Theresa, so now John has no relatives except for Brady.

• Love 3

I think QuelleC is referring to Brady living at Victor's.  Has it been said where John is supposed to be staying? Is he a guest above the Brady Pub like Gabby used to be? Does he still have possession of the loft that was once his home (as well as Steve/Kayla's, Belle's, to name a few)?

Oops, sorry.  I meant Brady.  As far as John I think he jets in for a couple of days at a time so I assume he lives in a hotel like Nicole does.  I have no idea why she always lives in a hotel.  It looks like Theresa got Sami's old apartment, I recognize the glass tile backsplash.

Why does Nicole always live in hotels? Seems like that would get expensive. She's been staying in one for how long now and lived in one after she left EJ for a while too. Is the apartment market so difficult in Salem? Theresa and Dan's apartments look so similar (I think it's the glass tile backspalsh) that I feel like they should be in the same apartment building. Where is Eric living these days? 

• Love 1

I thought TWOP was going to leave their forums and recaps online, but inactive.  I was trying to look up a few cooking shows on PBS that are pretty awful. They're out there but the link says the forum is offline :(

Why does Nicole always live in hotels? Seems like that would get expensive. She's been staying in one for how long now and lived in one after she left EJ for a while too. Is the apartment market so difficult in Salem? Theresa and Dan's apartments look so similar (I think it's the glass tile backspalsh) that I feel like they should be in the same apartment building.

That's a hotel? I thought she was in the same apartment building that Daniel and Theresa were in. Or at least similar.

How tall is that hotel that Nicole lives in?  Her room is number 5367.  Are there at least 53 floors in this hotel in Salem, USA?

That's to give us hope that she might jump out of the window someday soon.

• Love 4

I do find it funny when Nicole told Marlena to get out of her house, when technically it isn't her house. Does Nicole not make enough money to have her own house? Can they build like a small set for her, she doesn't have to have a big house like all the other characters. She can even move in the apt complex where Sonny & Will live.

I would take the option of her jumping out of her hotel window though over anything else.

Does Nicole not make enough money to have her own house?

I'm sure that fleabag collected enough money in her divorce settlements from Victor and EJ to be able to afford a house.

The microchip implanted in Marlena needs to malfunction causing her to go into a rage and push Nicole out of a window.

• Love 1

Chandler Massey won Best Younger Actor - and as they were introducing the nominees, they showed the wrong reel for him.  Instead of a reel that had him in it, they showed a reel of Marlena marrying Will and Sonny - and the Will on screen was Chandler's replacement. 

CM made a joke about it when he accepted his award.  He also gave a bit of an awkward thankyou to DOOL, but a more heartfelt one to the cast and crew.

• Love 1
(edited)

I knew Chandler would win. Eric is a shocker.

Quite a mess up with that clip real. 

Eileen won lead actress. Good for her!

Edited by Artsda

The clip mistake sounds both awkward and hilarious.

I'm shocked by the Eric Martsolf win too.

Maybe everyone who voted for him uses the same dealer.

• Love 2

The clip mistake sounds both awkward and hilarious.

I'm shocked by the Eric Martsolf win too.

Maybe they just all have a weakness for Harlequin romance cowboy cover models.

It's understandable, I'm not judging.

• Love 1

Okay, so, whoever the runway hosts were, were fucking idiots BUT Kassie and Greg looked astoundingly pretty together and so now my crack pairing is Eve/Eric.

At least that wouldn't be as astoundingly boring as Jennifer and Eric and their church picnics.

• Love 2

I was reading a blogger who was live-blogging and she said that the red carpet was so embarrassing, she stopped watching after five minutes.  What was the problem?

You know how stupid and inane red carpet chatter is normally? Dumb it down tenfold and add rape jokes made by women into it.

Don't have all the details (saw something on FB), but apparently Eric Martsolf won the Emmy for Best Supporting Actor in tonight's Daytime Emmy Awards ceremony! 

That's hilarious - but then I took a look at his competition in the category.  Better EM than that robot Steve Burton.  Plus I love Reefer Madness Brady - he's become one of my favorite parts of the show with his "I don't NEED any help!" pissy attitude and comedy gold encounters with John.

The wrong clip being shown for CM is really just sad.  How hard is it for them to check the clips?  My morning news show said the entire ceremony was riddled with presenter errors and gaffes, awkward moments, etc.  Great job, guys!

Holy crap, y'all. This was bad:

Daytime Emmy Awards: Red carpet a disaster, actual show a hot mess

Daytime Emmys: NATAS Owes Apology for Red Carpet Show, Rape 'Joke'

Be sure and click that second link just for the pic of Galen Gering throwing serious shade at the red carpet idiots (one asked Joseph Mascolo, who had been introduced to them as a daytime legend: “What is so legendary about you, sir?”).

• Love 1
(edited)

Congrats to Days. I'm surprised that EM pulled out a win cos everyone seems to love Bradford Anderson and Scott Clifton.  He must have benefited from the Y and R peeps splitting the votes and it seems like GH got shut out.

I had a feeling ED would win.  Glad she won for Days for the first win.  I'd be happy to accept her back if Kritter didn't eat the show while she was on.  I'd like to see some of the other veteran ladies of DOOL get Emmy-worthy material written for them.

The whole Chandler thing was just embarrassing.  Judie the lady that does the Emmy clips and promos said she gave in the right clip, so it must have been the Emmy people that stuffed it up. Or she could be covering her ass.  I would have thought the Emmys would cut the clips that were already sent in, but it seems it was not the case.

It was awkward from the clip, to him sitting right at the back (not at the DOOL table), to the Days Facebook Page not including a winning picture of him like they did for ED and EM.  One could argue that it's because he's not on the show, but seriously, an accolade is an accolade.  Guess we'll see what happens if CB wins for Younger Actress next year.

I don't want to rumour-monger, but there had to be more that went on BTS for TPTB to still be holding a grudge about CM. And it did not seem like the Days crowd was that amped about Chandler's win compared to the others.

It was nice to see everyone, especially GW be such a team player last night.

I am just waiting to read a KC interview about the wins.  I hope TomSell does't get the kudos so that everyone forgets about the falling ratings.

Edited by 271queenie

Holy crap, y'all. This was bad:

Wow.  Thanks for the links kellinator. I feel sorry for the attendees - what a mess.  That pic of GG says it all.

It was awkward from the clip, to him sitting right at the back (not at the DOOL table), to the Days Facebook Page not including a winning picture of him like they did for ED and EM.  One could argue that it's because he's not on the show, but seriously, an accolade is an accolade.  Guess we'll see what happens if CB wins for Younger Actress next year.

I don't want to rumour-monger, but there had to be more that went on BTS for TPTB to still be holding a grudge about CM. And it did not seem like the Days crowd was that amped about Chandler's win compared to the others.

I think there must have been more than what we heard. Their (the show and Days actors) reaction is very telling and I guess it's possible the show sabotaged his emmy moment with the wrong clip. I'm actually surprised that CM accepted the award in person - I thought he was trying to put his daytime past behind him.

Based on the amount of time devoted to the Gabi Hernandez Goodbye Tour, I think CB would be recognized by the show if she won.  I don't think she's leaving Days on bad terms as CM did.

(edited)

Wow.  Thanks for the links kellinator. I feel sorry for the attendees - what a mess.  That pic of GG says it all.

I think there must have been more than what we heard. Their (the show and Days actors) reaction is very telling and I guess it's possible the show sabotaged his emmy moment with the wrong clip. I'm actually surprised that CM accepted the award in person - I thought he was trying to put his daytime past behind him.

Based on the amount of time devoted to the Gabi Hernandez Goodbye Tour, I think CB would be recognized by the show if she won.  I don't think she's leaving Days on bad terms as CM did.

I was also surprised that he showed, but I guess if you're going to threepeat, you're gonna attend.  I just expected the Days actors to react more emphatically because it might have taken away from the awkwardness of the video clip.

I've read a bit from around the web and what I don't like is GW being criticized for treating CM like an afterthought just because he tweeted about EM and ED first and then went on to congratulated CM 8 minutes later.

I mean he wasn't on Days with CM so it's understandable that his first thoughts are for the other two that he's worked with.  And twitter has limited characters.

I just think it's unfortunate that what happened to CM happened, but there's no need to be ugly and say that 'GW doesn't even deserve to be put in CM's reel.'(as a way to bash him)  GW hasn't done anything to Chandler Massey. Looking at Facebook, GW didn't even have to tweet that tweet about CM last night, but he did which says it all IMO.

Edited by 271queenie
  • Love 1
(edited)

I can't believe Martsolf won; Davidson was favoured to win her category, I guess, and I can't fault her commitment, but I still think Kristen's a disgusting joke.

In my heart of hearts I suspect that the reason other cast members have seldom mentioned Massey by name since he left the show (or have sometimes referred to him as "the other actor") is because of an edict from the showrunners; I have no trouble believing that the switch in reels was not an accident.

The whole Daytime Emmys operation sounds like a joke. 

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

I've read a bit from around the web and what I don't like is GW being criticized for treating CM like an afterthought just because he tweeted about EM and ED first and then went on to congratulated CM 8 minutes later.

I mean he wasn't on Days with CM so it's understandable that his first thoughts are for the other two that he's worked with.  And twitter has limited characters.

I just think it's unfortunate that what happened to CM happened, but there's no need to be ugly and say that 'GW doesn't even deserve to be put in CM's reel.'(as a way to bash him)  GW hasn't done anything to Chandler Massey. Looking at Facebook, GW didn't even have to tweet that tweet about CM last night, but he did which says it all IMO.

Agreed.  I always feel sorry for the actor that replaces a popular actor.  Almost always they become the focus of Fan Rage.  It's a no-win situation.  I think it's much better to go in as a new character than as a replacement for an established character.  I guess GW can always talk to Jen Lilley for some perspective.  She's had her own problems in that area. 

The whole Daytime Emmys operation sounds like a joke. 

It always has to a certain extent but it sounds like they went for broke this year. I like Kathy Griffin but they were asking for trouble with her as a host. And the "social media experts" on the red carpet sound like they just squashed any hope for a chance at the Big Time.

Yeah, whatever else was going on, Wilson has done nothing to Massey. It's unfair to suggest he's slighting Massey in some way. I  think it's reasonable that he'd think first of congratulating his castmates.

(edited)

I checked Deidre Hall's Facebook and she managed to post a pic she took with Chandler last night. I guess the name thing goes two ways because some WilSon fans were disappointed that CM didn't mention FS in his speech.  He doesn't have to, but I think they noticed it more because EM and ED were each others main scene partner and they each thanked each other in their speeches.

Though Chandler just thanked 'everyone at Days', so maybe he was going for a generic thank you.  No mention of KC, Greg Meng or Lisa de Cazotte who were likely involved in the drama offset.

I did manage to pick up that they played the WilSon wedding clip (played during CM's nominee mention) for Best Writing as well, even though it was not part of the episodes the show submitted.  Pehaps someone behind the scenes with an agenda? Or maybe the show trying to cover their tracks and not make it too obvious.

Edited by 271queenie
(edited)

Well, clearly KM isn't the only actor who gets bashed on Twitter!

I wonder if there was awkward laughter when the clip was played. What a bizarre mistake.

EM's win combined with ED's is almost like a weird endorsement of that wacko storyline. Maybe everyone else stunk up the joint in the Supporting Actor Category, but I don't generally think of EM as award winning.

Edited by bantering
  • Love 2

AS was also conspicuously absent from the awards ceremony.  She tweeted about getting ready with the help of Arm and Hammer, but she wasn't there.  Speaking of KM, I thought she was the worst dressed of the Days ladies.

It was awkward from the clip, to him sitting right at the back (not at the DOOL table),

Is there a table for nominees who are no longer on their show?

The daytime emmy's sound like they get worse and worse each year.