Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Cup O' Joe

Dagny

Please remember that the Small Talk thread does not allow for the conversations that violate the Primetimer Politics Rule.

• Start Topic

I'm still tripping over the picture of the two of them in the elevator.  Even in the most innocuous of situations, Meek-a can't help giving Joe "the gaze."

And, talk about delusions of grandeur!  It's no wonder that Drumpf was his homeboy for so long.  Narcissistic birds of a feather!

• Love 5

Someone less narcissistic and clueless would take that profile and the comments within it as a sign that their ego has gotten too big.  Joe Scarborough will continue to let his sycophants and Mika tell him how great he is and blow smoke up his ass.  Well, Mika probably believes in the myth of Joe, no way anyone else does.

ETA:  Jezebel posted a picture of everyone's favorite couple hugging and kissing outside a Washington, DC ice cream parlor.  Their coy BS in the GQ profile is tired and not cute.

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 4

Dagny said:

I think the panel didn't know to call him on it. I figured they knew one of the Eastern block countries was invaded in 1956 and another in 1968, but weren't sure enough to call him on it. Dr Z would have smacked it down.

Oakville said:

Joe has apologized for the error on Twitter.

He looked to his left and someone gave him an affirmation of some kind while he was leaning toward 1968 and then he went with that year. I'm glad that he apologized for the error. I know it was 1956 because of something that happened when I was a little kid.

My mom worked in a bank for many years and at one point she was assigned a trainee who became a friend and he would bring his family to our house. His name was Nick Babos. We moved from that house in '59 so I know this was going on in '57-'58. The first time they came over, precocious little shit that I was at 7 or 8 years old, I sat in the hallway and eavesdropped on the adults. OMG. Nick was from a family of bankers and that's why he was in the trainee position, improving his English and learning a new system. He, his wife, their kids and IIRC a gramma fled Budapest with money, jewelry, photos and documents sewn into the linings of their clothing. They carried suitcases until they got to the boonies and then they put on multiple layers of clothing and ditched the suitcases. They medicated their infant so it wouldn't fuss or cry and give them away, not knowing if the dosage was correct until the baby revived much later than they expected. Hours and hours in the dark, muddy fields, barbed wire, hiding near enough to Russian soldiers to hear their voices and their dogs.

We are always on our best behavior when we had company but I can remember being extra nice to those kids and that baby.

• Love 3
On 4/13/2017 at 2:27 AM, suomi said:

Dagny said:

Oakville said:

He looked to his left and someone gave him an affirmation of some kind while he was leaning toward 1968 and then he went with that year. I'm glad that he apologized for the error. I know it was 1956 because of something that happened when I was a little kid.

My mom worked in a bank for many years and at one point she was assigned a trainee who became a friend and he would bring his family to our house. His name was Nick Babos. We moved from that house in '59 so I know this was going on in '57-'58. The first time they came over, precocious little shit that I was at 7 or 8 years old, I sat in the hallway and eavesdropped on the adults. OMG. Nick was from a family of bankers and that's why he was in the trainee position, improving his English and learning a new system. He, his wife, their kids and IIRC a gramma fled Budapest with money, jewelry, photos and documents sewn into the linings of their clothing. They carried suitcases until they got to the boonies and then they put on multiple layers of clothing and ditched the suitcases. They medicated their infant so it wouldn't fuss or cry and give them away, not knowing if the dosage was correct until the baby revived much later than they expected. Hours and hours in the dark, muddy fields, barbed wire, hiding near enough to Russian soldiers to hear their voices and their dogs.

We are always on our best behavior when we had company but I can remember being extra nice to those kids and that baby.

What a fascinating story !

• Love 1

Mr. Brzezinski, a descendant of Polish aristocrats (his name is pronounced Z-BIG-nyehv breh-ZHIHN-skee), was a severe, even intimidating figure, with hawkish features, penetrating eyes and strong Polish accent. Washington quickly learned that he had sharp elbows as well. He was adept at seizing the spotlight and freezing out the official spokesman on foreign policy, Secretary of State Cyrus R. Vance, provoking conflicts that ultimately led to Mr. Vance’s resignation.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/zbigniew-brzezinski-national-security-adviser-to-jimmy-carter-dies-at-89/ar-BBBzgfI?li=BBnbcA1#image=4

(edited)

Morning Joe” co-host Mika Brzezinski has paid tribute to her father, former National Security Advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski, who died Friday night at a hospital in Virginia. He was 89.

Mika Brzezinski hailed the man known as Chief to his family as “the most inspiring, loving and devoted father any girl could ever have.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/‘morning-joe’-host-mika-brzezinski-pays-tribute-to-late-father/ar-BBBzVH5

Edited by suomi
  • Love 1

I'm just sorry he's not around to see Mika marry Joe so he can continue to give him shit at family gatherings.  

I was surprised to see them back on air this morning, but I guess they wanted to do the tribute to Zbig, and to discuss the Misadventures of Jared Kushner, Boy Diplomat. 

That clip of Mika on Letterman spelling his name with the chime was funny.  She should be very proud of her father, he played a huge role in American & world politics  over the last half century. 

• Love 5

On Friday night Bill Maher had a line about Trump that fits Well-Connected-Joe to a T: "When he's In Jerusalem, the Wailing Wall slips him notes." LMAO

• Love 1

Thank you for posting that link.

“If I could choose my seatmate, it would be Dr. Brzezinski,” Mr. Carter said from the lectern on Friday, describing his strategy for long trips as president.

A small handful of people gathered across the street to take in the pre-service fare, eagerly identifying the boldfaced names funneling in from “Morning Joe,” the MSNBC program hosted by Mr. Brzezinski’s daughter, Mika, and her fiancé, Joe Scarborough.

“We recognized first David Ignatius, Richard Haass,” Manny Sternberg said, leaning against a parking meter ... Mr. Sternberg remembered Mr. Brzezinski’s appearances on the show. “Joe likes to pontificate,” he said, describing a discussion about the Middle East. “Zbig said to him, ‘Your analysis is stunningly superficial.’”

Addressing the group, a priest suggested that he had felt a kinship with Mr. Brzezinski in part because of news articles about him.

“There was one delightful memory shared recently in The Washington Post,” he said. “It was an article by Joe Scarborough.”

(edited)

Two non-show related things. Because god knows I need a laugh these days.

Joe's uploaded video for his Let's Fall In Love song, complete with Mika appearance: 

And he's changed his Instagram profile picture. Thought it looked like Mika, and so expanded the whole thing. And yep, one big happy family... ?

20181060_1500623616647932_21727285165781

Edited by nicole21290
  • Love 3

But interestingly I don't think Mika's kids are in the photo. I think her daughters are blonde and look like her. The young woman at the end may be the wife of the young man with the glasses? 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

But interestingly I don't think Mika's kids are in the photo. I think her daughters are blonde and look like her. The young woman at the end may be the wife of the young man with the glasses? 

I don't think Mika's kids are as excited about Joe Scarborough. Mika's oldest daughter was photographed with a "Make America Great Again " hat a few months ago. I think it was a joke, but a bit embarrassing for Mika. Everything  I have read about Jim Hoffer has been very positive. He grew up practically homeless because his mom suffered from bi polar disorder.

• Love 1
On 7/22/2017 at 7:53 AM, Mumbles said:

The women on either end of the photo are the wives of Joe's sons. 

• Love 1

Chris Cillizza may be one of the stupidest hacks working in DC media these days and his latest "hot take" is that Joe would be a good presidential candidate. Hah.

Cillizza's latest dumb idea

Like most "hot takes" it is a dumb idea that morons just spout out knowing that years for now they will be long forgotten and thus they will never be accountable for them. But if anything it will likely encourage Joe to strike out at Trump more.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Chris Cillizza may be one of the stupidest hacks working in DC media these days and his latest "hot take" is that Joe would be a good presidential candidate. Hah.

Cillizza's latest dumb idea

Like most "hot takes" it is a dumb idea that morons just spout out knowing that years for now they will be long forgotten and thus they will never be accountable for them. But if anything it will likely encourage Joe to strike out at Trump more.

IIRC, Joe was considering running for the US Senate in Florida in 2010 & 2012. Mika was upset at the time because the show would be on hiatus if he was a candidate.

(edited)
On 7/25/2017 at 4:05 PM, Mumbles said:

Isn't there a scandal involving a dead female intern or someone in the past?  I don't know any of the details, just remember reading something once during the Bush years.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, millennium said:

Isn't there a scandal involving a dead female intern or someone in the past?  I don't know any of the details, just remember reading something once during the Bush years.

Yup.  Happened around the same time that Democratic Rep. Gary Condit was just suspected in the disappearance of Chandra Levy, his female intern.  Levy's body was still missing, finally found later in 2002.  Joe's intern Lori Klausutis' body was found in Joe's Jacksonville office.  The chattering classes chattered endlessly about Condit/Levy, ultimately driving him from office.  Joey Scar's dead intern barely rated a mention.  It's all classic IOKIYAR -- It's okay if you're a Republican -- and IACIYAD -- It's a crime if you're a Democrat.  

7 minutes ago, navelgazer said:

It's all classic IOKIYAR -- It's okay if you're a Republican -- and IACIYAD -- It's a crime if you're a Democrat.  

Interesting that this take on Klausutis is similar to one that was in DailyKos.  Ask Larry Craig, Mark Foley, Robert Livingston how great it was that they got away with their bad behavior because they were Republicans.

11 hours ago, millennium said:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2011/03/15/956651/-The-Ugly-Story-in-Joe-Scarborough-s-Political-Closet

http://www.mademan.com/mm/joe-scarborough-scandal.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/07/markos-moulitsas-banned-f_n_639777.html

• Love 2
(edited)
59 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Interesting that this take on Klausutis is similar to one that was in DailyKos.  Ask Larry Craig, Mark Foley, Robert Livingston how great it was that they got away with their bad behavior because they were Republicans.

These acronyms originated with Paul Krugman, not DKos.

https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/11/iokiyar-and-iaciyad/

Bill Maher did a New Rules about this where he didn't know the acronyms but he identified and described the problem perfectly.  He called it the "Magic R."

Edited by navelgazer
  • Love 1

No recap today because Oakville is in a hotel bunker equipped only with CNN. I am aghast. Jeez, how strongly Mika resembles her dad in this clip.

Edited by suomi
  • Love 1

one hour ago oakville said

Joe is talking about the list of horrors that Arpaio committed. Wasn't he convicted for contempt of court? Why wasn't he convicted of torture based on what Joe is describing?

I lived in Phx for a few years and I know I'll get slammed for this but I didn't disagree with a few things he started doing with inmates who had been convicted and sentenced; those awaiting trial were exempted, which was reasonable.

Maricopa County jail was way overcrowded when he was first elected so he set up tents outdoors. When he got complaints about that because of the heat he said "Our soldiers in Iraq are sleeping in tents and it's 120 degrees over there." True, and the state legislature/judiciary didn't overrule him. He mandated old school black and white striped uniforms, no biggie, and made the guys wear pink underwear. Snarky but not cruel or unusual, IMO. "Don't stay in my jail if you don't like my dress code." Yes, he instituted chain gangs for outdoor work details but participation was voluntary, it wasn't like forced labor chain gangs in the southern US (which may still be happening down there, I don't know. If so: very very wrong). Only two choices on TV - the Disney Channel and the Weather Channel. "So they'll know how hot it's gonna be tomorrow." No girly mags and no pumping iron. Self-explanatory there. A whole lot of people in this world (and some in my personal experience) aren't bothered by going to jail because it's not a shitty experience.

He was Sheriff for over 20 years and lost his 7th bid for election last year. Finally! Because he started out OK but became his own worst enemy. There were many years when Maricopa had a low re-incarceration rate and a high rate of inmates earning GEDs. I lost track of him when I left AZ and I was appalled recently when I heard about this latest shit, 160 suicides with $140 million awarded in damages and disobeying the federal order re racial profiling. Sick! And wrong! OK, AZ shares a border with Mexico and has always had a large Hispanic population so the jail populations would be expected to reflect that, but him not only supporting but MANDATING racial profiling - JFC, I can't tolerate that and no one else should either. Did he start with "there's a new sheriff in town" and morph into a sadistic bastard or was he that way all along? I do not know, but I am disgusted with and furious about his pardon.

Edited by suomi
  • Love 2

Anybody know how the chairs on their set work? Used to be that Mika and Joe were different heights when seated, as in real life. But now, Mika has gotten a higher chair or maybe Joe lowered his? Sometimes she's just a little lower than Joe but other times they look like they are the same height when seated. Once in awhile, Mika meets or even exceeds Joe's seated height. She seems happiest when she is not the smallest person. I realize he slumps around a lot when seated and manages to bend over sideways when he wants to address someone on the end of either wing of the table. That brings him way down low. He didn't have to do that when they had the old set and everyone faced everyone else in the circle. So, does Mika adjust her chair so she's sitting really high up? Can't see if her feet reach the floor. Does she just have amazing posture that lengthens her torso? Kind of distracting, but hard not to focus on this every time.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Junie said:

Anybody know how the chairs on their set work? Used to be that Mika and Joe were different heights when seated, as in real life. But now, Mika has gotten a higher chair or maybe Joe lowered his? Sometimes she's just a little lower than Joe but other times they look like they are the same height when seated. Once in awhile, Mika meets or even exceeds Joe's seated height. She seems happiest when she is not the smallest person. I realize he slumps around a lot when seated and manages to bend over sideways when he wants to address someone on the end of either wing of the table. That brings him way down low. He didn't have to do that when they had the old set and everyone faced everyone else in the circle. So, does Mika adjust her chair so she's sitting really high up? Can't see if her feet reach the floor. Does she just have amazing posture that lengthens her torso? Kind of distracting, but hard not to focus on this every time.

They used the same chairs for the live show, and Mika's chair is both raised up a little higher and she sits on a cushion that elevates her a little more than the just the chair.  I think her feet were at least hitting the metal rung halfway down the chair but not the floor.  

Has anyone read Katy Tur's book? I liked it, no surprises but I'm an MSNBC junkie so I expected that. She admires and respects Andrea Mitchell, "the hardest working woman in news," and says "Kasie Hunt is a badass and a good friend."

• Love 2
On 10/9/2017 at 0:30 PM, suomi said:

Kasie Hunt is a badass and a good friend."

Kasie tweeted last week that she got her new gig due in part to Mika. I tweeted back at her that she got that gig based on HER talent and hard work, and not to sell herself short.   If Mika helped her, it's because she wants to have something to hold over her head. 

• Love 3
On 10/13/2017 at 10:29 AM, Ohwell said:

Ok, thanks a lot @oakville for cursing my Washington Nationals team.  We lost a heartbreaker last night, no World Series for us!  Again. You "Montrealers" will never forgive us for stealing your team.  *sarcasm font* ; )

The curse will be lifted once Montreal gets a team back!

1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

Kasie tweeted last week that she got her new gig due in part to Mika. I tweeted back at her that she got that gig based on HER talent and hard work, and not to sell herself short.   If Mika helped her, it's because she wants to have something to hold over her head. 

I am happy for Kasie!. I forgot to DVR her show. I will look for it online. I would like to get a KCDC T shirt.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, oakville said:

I am happy for Kasie!. I forgot to DVR her show. I will look for it online. I would like to get a KCDC T shirt.

I missed it too. I was in the middle of a Mindhunter binge and lost track of time. 

Anyone interested: If you're a fan of David Fincher, or of great  crime drama about the FBI trying to figure out how a person becomes a serial killer, set in the late 70s, and based on a book by a former agent. check it out on Netflix.   Can't recommend it enough. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, oakville said:

The asking price on Joe's estate in Connecticut has dropped by $400K since November. The new GOP tax bill will limit the mortgage interest deduction to 750K. In addition, the cap on deducting state & property taxes will make it more difficult to afford expensive estates in Connecticut.

https://patch.com/connecticut/newcanaan/joe-scarboroughs-new-canaan-house-market

$3.6 million actually seems like a pretty good value for this house. 

It doesn’t seem like December is the best time to be trying to sell a house.

Edited by cased