Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Cup O' Joe

Dagny

Please remember that the Small Talk thread does not allow for the conversations that violate the Primetimer Politics Rule.

• Start Topic

Hi Jordan, last spring Macy's had the "frayed hems" pants in their store. And some of the home shopping shows are currently selling them. It's definitely a trend right now....how long it will last is anybody's guess.  I was surprised to see Meeks wearing them during the Biden interview.

• Love 1
(edited)

Nantucket update: No sign of Joe or Meeks and I went browsing in the local bookstore where there was absolutely no trace of the latest KYV opus.

PS I kind of like frayed hems myself.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 5

I hope this is the correct place to post this. Someone in the  " All Talks" board  mentioned Gabby Giffords. I am concerned that the four Congresswomen will be targeted as she was. I don't think they receive any Secret Service protection, or do they? I just hope they remain safe.

19 minutes ago, PennyPie18 said:

I hope this is the correct place to post this. Someone in the  " All Talks" board  mentioned Gabby Giffords. I am concerned that the four Congresswomen will be targeted as she was. I don't think they receive any Secret Service protection, or do they? I just hope they remain safe.

They have protection at the Capitol but not upon leaving. 

(edited)

The frayed hems have been around a while and I think they can work on some garments, but, I do struggle with the frayed edges of fabric in things like wedding gowns.  It's pretty popular.  The frayed edges are even on the bodice and/or neckline of the gown.  I guess some like that look. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
On 7/16/2019 at 4:14 PM, Jordan Baker said:

I have a fashion-related question. I am horribly fashion-challenged, but I'm genuinely curious about when frayed hems became a thing. (This is tangentially related to the show because of Mika's outfit in her interview with Joe Biden.)

Seriously . . . has this been a thing for a while? And do people like it?

One of the contestants on the most recent season of Project Runway never finished her hems, and so I guess she was on-trend? I just thought she had time-management issues.

My aged brain cells ain't what they used to be but I remember them being popular in the early 1970s or maybe before, mostly during the hippie period and probably inspired by what usually happened to too-long bell bottoms that were continually allowed to drag on the ground because the wearers couldn't be bothered with taking up the hems. Like a lot of styles it tends to come back every 20 years or so but the reboot that should have happened in the late 1980s or early 1990s probably got buried by the Big Hair look and Wall Street Chic fashions.

Sorry if my date guesstimates are a bit off, but Short Term Memory Loss was a common ailment in both of those time periods, if you know what I mean.

• Love 3

A conservative website noted Joe's previous election predictions.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/mark-finkelstein/2019/07/22/sneering-scarborough-trump-will-be-routed-lose-landslide

I'm new to this board, so perhaps you "oldtimers" (not referring to you ages!) could answer this question: During the election primaries, candidates interviews, etc. do the Mods allow another thread to be created, even if the subjects are not necessarily on MJ? Like a Pre-election topic board? I wasn't here for the last election.....was there one created until the election was over? Thanks for any info. I hope this is the right place to ask this!

• Love 1

OMG!  This channel just got dropped from my tv lineup.  I would get up at 5:30 am, get ready for work and then have breakfast with this show.  What am I going to do? [walks away sniffling]

I don't even get cable.  I either listen to the show on Sirius radio--or if you don't have that you can wtch on the internet (phone or PC) at https://www.livenewsnow.com/american/msnbc.html

or on your phone or laptop on free https://tunein.com/radio/home/

• Useful 4
30 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

OMG!  This channel just got dropped from my tv lineup.  I would get up at 5:30 am, get ready for work and then have breakfast with this show.  What am I going to do? [walks away sniffling]

I don't even get cable.  I either listen to the show on Sirius radio--or if you don't have that you can wtch on the internet (phone or PC) at https://www.livenewsnow.com/american/msnbc.html

I watch/listen at work to MSNBC on livenewsnow.com.  It's great.  That's weird that they would drop it.  

• Love 1

I would really be asking why a cable provider would suddenly drop a major cable news network, especially if they continue to carry the spawn of Roger Ailes.

I was in the hospital about this time last year and I was pissed that the hospital cable, which had a fairly robust lineup for a hospital cable, didn't carry MSNBC, but carried Sean Hannity's crypt keeper.  I ended up watching on the MSNBC app on my phone.  Nothing in real time but better than nothing.

1 hour ago, WhineandCheez said:

or if you don't have that you can wtch on the internet (phone or PC) at https://www.livenewsnow.com/american/msnbc.html

I did not know about these.  I'll keep them in mind for future reference.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Thanks for this information. i was unable to access MSNBC on cable. Surprisingly, CNN & Fox News were unaffected. I ended up watching CNN.

• Love 1
On 8/1/2019 at 3:24 PM, teddysmom said:

I watch/listen at work to MSNBC on livenewsnow.com.  It's great.  That's weird that they would drop it.  

Glitch at the provider.  All channels back on.  I always hate to see a cable truck in the area as a lot of time they screw up everyone's packages.  I am grandfathered in at $68 for wifi and all channels except for pay channels.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, jumper sage said:

It suddenly came back, along with all the other channels lost.  Apparently a glitch at the provider.  Hurray!

I'm retired and live on a small fixed income and I found out that it's a good idea to check your channel package once a month. 

When I signed on with Dish,  MSNBC and CNN were not in the basic package. It was cheaper to pay $10 per month to add the News bundle instead of upgrading to the package that included those channels.

Lo and behold, a year later, I was checking my lineup for a channel I heard about and saw that MSNBC and CNN had been added to my package.

I have no idea how many months I paid $10 extra w/o needing to. Grrr.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, suomi said:

I'm retired and live on a small fixed income and I found out that it's a good idea to check your channel package once a month. 

When I signed on with Dish,  MSNBC and CNN were not in the basic package. It was cheaper to pay $10 per month to add the News bundle instead of upgrading to the package that included those channels.

Lo and behold, a year later, I was checking my lineup for a channel I heard about and saw that MSNBC and CNN had been added to my package.

I have no idea how many months I paid $10 extra w/o needing to. Grrr.

On the back of your bill it should have the different packages and the lineups.  I watch for those myself.

• Love 1
On 8/2/2019 at 9:52 PM, jumper sage said:

On the back of your bill it should have the different packages and the lineups.  I watch for those myself.

I have paperless billing, but that's a good idea for those who don't. I'm also auto-pay and figured I was good if the correct amount was debited every month. Not! Now I check my channel lineup online every month on my account page. 

While we're on the subject - I really/really dislike being required to commit to a 2-year contract. It screams "If we didn't trap our customers we would not have many of them." Bastards. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, suomi said:

While we're on the subject - I really/really dislike being required to commit to a 2-year contract. It screams "If we didn't trap our customers we would not have many of them." Bastards. 

I committed to a 2 year contract when Uverse gave me such a good price I couldn't pass it up.

BUt I do call and demand that they give me good deals like new customers and I have all my services thru AT&T, so I'm considered "platinum". Lah dee frickin' dah.    

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, suomi said:

I have paperless billing, but that's a good idea for those who don't. I'm also auto-pay and figured I was good if the correct amount was debited every month. Not! Now I check my channel lineup online every month on my account page. 

Comcast is the absolute flipping worst.  I loved AT&T and actually shed a few tears when I realized they were not available in my new area.  They totally lied to me when I re-upped my "contract" for another two years (like you have a ton of choices) as they indicated my preferred channels would still be available only to find out they are not.  I also live in an area that has very old infrastructure so I lose a lot of services in the afternoon when they are allegedly upgrading their service (setting my sundial on that one) but in a couple of months I am going to flip to Dish/AT&T Internet as my complex has a communal dish on the roof so hopefully I will get better reception/channels/a DVR! and no more having to deal with Comcast.

1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

I committed to a 2 year contract when Uverse gave me such a good price I couldn't pass it up.

BUt I do call and demand that they give me good deals like new customers and I have all my services thru AT&T, so I'm considered "platinum". Lah dee frickin' dah.    

Uverse rules.  They are so easy/pleasant to deal with and I never had a problem with them.  My jealousy knows no bounds right now my friend . . . 😉

30 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Uverse rules.  They are so easy/pleasant to deal with and I never had a problem with them.  My jealousy knows no bounds right now my friend . . .

I agree.   You do have to call and ask for deals, but once they checked that I had been with them for a long time and good paying customer, I get pretty good treatment.  I even go in the AT&T store when I can't figure out what is going on with my phone.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I agree.   You do have to call and ask for deals, but once they checked that I had been with them for a long time and good paying customer, I get pretty good treatment.  I even go in the AT&T store when I can't figure out what is going on with my phone.

Oh goodness they are just leaps and bounds ahead of Comcast.  From the initial set up to the coverage of channels I had plus a DVR thrown in that is why I literally (and I am not kidding) shed a few tears when I realized I had to re-enter the Comcast Thunderdome).  They have not disappointed me hence my throwing in the towel and giving the Dish/AT&T a try.  It just has to be better than what I have now.

3 hours ago, suomi said:

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Comcast?

• LOL 1

Warning:  long rant.

They are all horrible.  I had AT&T internet in NC, and it went out shortly after it went on.  I was on the phone constantly with their offshore CS, who were clearly reading from a canned script and could not give me specific answers to my questions.  They wanted me to pay them to come to my house and find out what was wrong, and expected me to skip work as part of the process.  Eventually it turned out that the problem was on a pole, down the street, nothing to do with my house.  I got no discount for loss of service.  My phone contract with them was up, and I went to switch providers, and they refused to unlock the SIM card so I could get another provider.  It took three weeks of wrangling to be able to use my own phone the way I wanted.  

I had DirecTV for ten years, but they lost track of the first six years of my account, right in the middle of installation in NC.  The installer was right there, doing the work, and they said they had no record of my order, even though they were the ones who sent him there.  The poor guy waited for about four hours and through dozens of phone calls between him and them, me and them, and didn't even get paid for his time.  After that day they always said when I called (and I could have had them on speed dial for all the problems I was constantly reporting), thank you for being a customer since 2013, when it was actually 2007.  When I moved from NC to GA, I had no service for several weeks because it took that long for the TV to be delivered, and they refused to give me credit for the break, even though I had notified them in advance.  I will give them this, when I called to ask for discounts, they could usually find one, especially the umpty-million times I threatened to cancel my service.  Although once they were bought out by AT&T, their CS went offshore, and dealing with them was the same struggle it had been for internet.

I gave them up last year when I moved back to AZ.  I'd only had them for NFL Sunday Ticket anyway, and I can get their streaming package as a stand-alone (and with my daughter's college discount).  Now I have Cox, and they were decent when I first lived in AZ, but now they're as horrible as anyone else.  They jacked up my fees after the first year, and refused to give me any discount.  When the internet works, it's great, but the outages are fast and furious.  Next February, I'm looking at cord cutting, but damn if the high-speed internet you need for decent streaming isn't outrageously expensive, too.  Streaming in GA was nonstop buffering, but I was never sure if it was the fault of DirecTV or my ISP, Comcast.  I always blamed DirecTV because you'd go into their On Demand section and it would intermittently but frequently tell you there were no programs available, at all.

Comcast started out wrong with me on the day of installation, when they were late for their appointment.  At least they threw a little money at me for the trouble.  And they usually offered new discounts when I would call to bitch at them.  So I'm kinda meh on them.  I don't have it here because of course they have divvied up the country into mini-monopolies so you can't go to a competitor.  Century Link supposedly has high speed internet here, and their idea of high speed is ONE mbps.

Tl;dr:  Friends don't let friends use AT&T, but they all suck.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I see where we have been discussing the upcoming Hardball (tomorrow?) with Omirosa and Scaramucci; sorry if I have butchered the names.  I have to wonder if the reason The Mooch has been everywhere this week is due to a rumor I "heard"....that his wife may be in the running for the NY Housewives next season.  He is trying to clean-up some of his previous gaffes.  

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Kemper said:

I see where we have been discussing the upcoming Hardball (tomorrow?) with Omirosa and Scaramucci; sorry if I have butchered the names.  I have to wonder if the reason The Mooch has been everywhere this week is due to a rumor I "heard"....that his wife may be in the running for the NY Housewives next season.  He is trying to clean-up some of his previous gaffes.  

I have heard that too but I don't think he needs to clean anything up for that type of show . . . 😁

I hate myself for this but I can't wait for Hardball tonight.  It's gonna be messy.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

So how was hardball?

The one with Mooch and Omarosa is on tonight so we shall see.  If it's anything like Mooch's Twitter feed, it's going to be a barn burner.  They're going to have to belt Matthews into his chair or otherwise he'll levitate right off the set.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

The one with Mooch and Omarosa is on tonight so we shall see.  If it's anything like Mooch's Twitter feed, it's going to be a barn burner.  They're going to have to belt Matthews into his chair or otherwise he'll levitate right off the set.

Wow, that was really, really bad.  I mean really bad.  I guess someone (that would be moi) had their expectations a bit too high (actually way too high).  Stick with Scaramucci, Omarosa is a complete waste of air time as was that entire segment.

• Love 1

Ugh, I was just coming to post the same thing may flowers.  How on earth does this guy get a book deal?????

NEWS … MARK HALPERIN has signed a deal with Regan Arts to publish a book called “How to Beat Trump: America’s Top Political Strategists on What It Will Take,” the publisher will announce Monday. The book is Halperin’s first major project since multiple accusations about him were published in the height of the Me Too movement in October 2017. The book will be released in November of this year.

-- HALPERIN interviewed more than 75 top Democratic strategists for the book including Jill Alper, David Axelrod, Bob Bauer, Donna Brazile, James Carville, Tad Devine, Anita Dunn, Karen Dunn, Adrienne Elrod, Jennifer Granholm, Ben LaBolt, Jeff Link, Jim Margolis, Mike McCurry, Mark Mellman, Amanda Renteria, John Sasso, Kathleen Sebelius, Bob Shrum, Ginny Terzano, and David Wilhelm.

-- HALPERIN has re-emerged in recent months, authoring his own newsletter, resurfacing on Twitter and appearing on Sirius XM with Michael Smerconish.

Apparently, when Oliver Darcy, CNN’s media reporter, asked the networks if Halperin was welcome, CNN and ABC said no, while MSNBC ... declined to comment. That countdown clock ticking to his reappearance on Morning Joe just got louder.

By the way, Darcy also spoke to one of Halperin’s accusers. She says he never reached out to apologize. 

Update: MSNBC got back to Darcy and said Halperin won’t be on the network. Do you think they had to clear their statement with Joe and Mika first?

Edited by may flowers
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, may flowers said:

Apparently, when Oliver Darcy, CNN’s media reporter, asked the networks if Halperin was welcome, CNN and ABC said no, while MSNBC ... declined to comment. That countdown clock ticking to his reappearance on Morning Joe just got louder.

By the way, Darcy also spoke to one of Halperin’s accusers. She says he never reached out to apologize. 

Update: MSNBC got back to Darcy and said Halperin won’t be on the network. Do you think they had to clear their statement with Joe and Mika first?

Boy that Halperin really knows how to light up the internet doesn't he?  Yikes talk about blow back and now those pitiful excuses from those that participated.  Gross.

I'm just glad he won't be gracing the MJ set.  Again, gross.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

I'm just glad he won't be gracing the MJ set.  Again, gross.

Last time they plugged for him they did it without informing anyone, so let’s be honest, he could still show up there. Or in their doomsday annex studios. 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Why would any of those people talk to him??!!   

I'm so tired of these talking heads and their "how to beat Trump" bullshit. 

Yeah you were all so helpful in 2016.   

Agreed. Halperin wrote a book in 2007 about how the GOP would rule Washington for the next few years. They got wiped out in 2008.

• Love 2

Daily Beast has some interesting excuses from those who answered Halperin's emails. Joe & Mika's attempts to help him are mentioned as well, at the bottom of the article. It's hilarious that Donna Brazille says she knew her insight into how to defeat Trump was necessary.  Guess she didn't think about that when she was bad mouthing Hillary before the 2016 election. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/disgraced-pundit-mark-halperin-signs-deal-to-publish-new-political-book?ref=home

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Daily Beast has some interesting excuses from those who answered Halperin's emails. Joe & Mika's attempts to help him are mentioned as well, at the bottom of the article. It's hilarious that Donna Brazille says she knew her insight into how to defeat Trump was necessary.  Guess she didn't think about that when she was bad mouthing Hillary before the 2016 election. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/disgraced-pundit-mark-halperin-signs-deal-to-publish-new-political-book?ref=home

Adrienne Elrod who is a new panelist on Morning Joe also apologized for speaking to Halperin.

I wonder if Mika & Joe will allow Halperin on the show to plug his book ?

Didn't Mika offer to have Halperin's victims appear on Morning Joe?

Mika did become involved in the sexual harassment cases of Tom Brokaw & Matt Lauer.

IIRC , Mika signed a petition stating she wasn't sexually harassed by Tom Brokaw or Matt Lauer.

5 minutes ago, oakville said:

wonder if Mika & Joe will allow Halperin on the show to plug his book ?

I believe MSNBC has issued a statement say Halperin will not be on the network to promote this crap. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Eliot said:

Halperin's book will be useful to Democrats in the sense that if they do exactly the opposite of what he advises they can beat Trump.

The guy who was suspended by MSNBC for calling President Obama "kind of a dick" now wants back in by saying he'll help Democrats.

And Judith Regan is a ghoul. She was involved in that OJ Simpson debacle "If I Did It".  

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

The guy who was suspended by MSNBC for calling President Obama "kind of a dick" now wants back in by saying he'll help Democrats.

I remember that segment. Mika & Joe encouraged Halperin to insult President  Obama. They laughed along with him. They were not disciplined by MSNBC.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, oakville said:

IIRC , Mika signed a petition stating she wasn't sexually harassed by Tom Brokaw or Matt Lauer

So Joe wasn't included in that list I take it?

Seriously, some day you just cannot take enough showers.

1 hour ago, oakville said:
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

I remember that segment. Mika & Joe encouraged Halperin to insult President  Obama. They laughed along with him. They were not disciplined by MSNBC.

Joe was talking to Eddie Glaude about the GOP or Trump this morning and Eddie said something maybe the economy about "this awful thing they did", and Joe joked that "I'm so upset that you said that about President Obama". 

It didn't make sense nor was it funny, because... Joe.  I was half asleep and got up and changed the channel. Blech. 

10 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

-- HALPERIN has re-emerged in recent months, authoring his own newsletter, resurfacing on Twitter and appearing on Sirius XM with Michael Smerconish.

I occasionally watched Smerconish's show on CNN at times, when I heard about him helping Halperin with his attempted comeback I stopped.

• Love 1
On 8/19/2019 at 4:35 PM, Jaded said:

I occasionally watched Smerconish's show on CNN at times, when I heard about him helping Halperin with his attempted comeback I stopped.

I did not realize that Smerconish was trying to help Halperin.  I watch Smerconish's show a lot since my husband likes it.  I feel like he is very empathetic and tries to find common ground with people.  He never insults anyone and is always trying to understand people who tweet him.  I am not surprised that he is trying to help Halperin.  The news business can be very insular, and people treat subordinates much differently from friends.  Often, these people do not want to acknowledge the faults of their friends.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, nittanycougar said:

I did not realize that Smerconish was trying to help Halperin.  I watch Smerconish's show a lot since my husband likes it.  I feel like he is very empathetic and tries to find common ground with people.  He never insults anyone and is always trying to understand people who tweet him.  I am not surprised that he is trying to help Halperin.  The news business can be very insular, and people treat subordinates much differently from friends.  Often, these people do not want to acknowledge the faults of their friends.

Having Halperin on his show is helping to bring the skeevy guy back into the public eye. Maybe some of Halperin's friends really think he's remorseful for his past actions? I think he'll say whatever works in his favor at the time. I was surprised to read that Smerconish had him as a guest on his radio show since he seems to be a decent guy. I get what you mean about people treating others differently depending on where the person fits in their lives.

• Love 2