Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Cup O' Joe

Dagny

Please remember that the Small Talk thread does not allow for the conversations that violate the Primetimer Politics Rule.

• Start Topic

God, I'm sick of Willie's personal interest stories.

Last week it was an interview with his dad coinciding with the release of Giest senior's new book.

Today it was David Letterman at a stream.

There are a lot of qualified news people employed by MSNBC. If M&J need a side kick, at least get someone with some news cred.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Maybe she and Joe are pulling a Mayor of Baltimore scam and buying them up.  Granted I'm the biggest political junkie of my friends but I don't know anyone who thinks Mika has anything smart to say. They watch MJ because it's on in the morning but they think Joe & Mika are idiots. 

I noticed Joe is tempering his "Biden is going to run away with it" talk this morning, Eddie Glaude mentioned yesterday on another show that "yeah Hillary was up 30 points this time in 2007".  I wondered if he pointed that out to Joe this week, or just figured "why bother". 

Joe looks foolish by proclaiming Biden to be the nominee before the first debate or any votes have been counted.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Landsnark said:

It's worth noting that Eddie Glaude hates Joe Biden.
He's on the network all day long sitting in panels twisting himself into progressive liberal knots to explain away Joe Biden.

I don't know why Eddie's on any show talking about politics. He's on auto mute with me for saying "if you're a democratic living in a blue state, don't vote" in 2016 on MJ.

• Love 2
On 5/17/2019 at 10:01 AM, meowmommy said:

For me, the day the Gold Dust Twins cross-pollinate Rachel Maddow is the day I start watching Faux Noise.  Because civilization as we know it will have ended.

Hee, Rachel made Joe cry on air (he actually flounced off the air in a fit of rage).  I think they (and the PTB) know to steer clear of that combo.  They can go play Hardball with their pm BFF.

• Love 2

Oh no, they've roped Willie Geist and Heidi Pryzbyla (along with Mara Gay) into Donnie's show (and can someone explain to me why he refuses to button the cuffs of his shirts even on his show?).  I love me some Heidi but her eyelashes are heading into Fox News territory . . . 😞

• LOL 1

I just saw a picture in the MSNBC thread of Katy Tur, Andrea Mitchell and THE BABY!  The picture was wonderful; Katy looked natural and gorgeous; Andrea always looks great; and they both had such big smiles on their faces.  

My "concern" is how will Meeka react to this?  I figured she wanted to be the first one to have her picture taken with the baby; since she just loves babies so much and grabs them and clings for dear life.  It humanizes her.  Okay.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

My good friend, who doesn’t watch news or follow current events, proudly showed me 3 copies of Mika’s book she purchased. She said “ I saw this and recognized this woman from seeing her on your tv one morning!  I bought these for my daughter and her friends that are graduating college this week!”

OMG I INADVERTENTLY SOLD 3 COPIES OF MIKA’S DRECK!

what to do?....

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Sneak into her house and take the books.

Replace them with:

Michelle Obama's Becoming;  I am Malala; or Wild by Cheryl Strayed.

Or for fun and  role model material,  tell them to watch Aliens or Silence of the Lambs and watch 2 women put in much scarier situations than asking for a raise while putting up with a lot of shit from men. 

Sit them down and tell them that the best way to learn to be strong and independent is to put yourself in the frame of mind that you have absolutely no one but yourself to depend on. Your parents aren't there to borrow money from or call when something bad happens;  know what you need to have around in emergencies, take care of your car so it doesn't break down, that $300 pair of shoes isn't going to make your life better and you just blew your cable and light bill money on something you won't want in a year. And whatever job you have, as much as it sucks, take on more responsibilities when you can, learn as much as you can about what the company does, and always let your boss know "hey just wanted you to know I took care of that...."  They might not always notice when you do little things but it'll pay off. Be the person your boss can depend on. For work, not the perfect cup of coffee. 

And for the love of God, Mika Brzezinski is NOT a role model for women. 

The mantra is I am smarter and stronger than I know, so I need to get off my ass and prove it. 

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

The mantra is I am smarter and stronger than I know, so I need to get off my ass and prove it. 

BRAVO!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Sit them down and tell them that the best way to learn to be strong and independent is to put yourself in the frame of mind that you have absolutely no one but yourself to depend on. Your parents aren't there to borrow money from or call when something bad happens;  know what you need to have around in emergencies, take care of your car so it doesn't break down, that $300 pair of shoes isn't going to make your life better and you just blew your cable and light bill money on something you won't want in a year. And whatever job you have, as much as it sucks, take on more responsibilities when you can, learn as much as you can about what the company does, and always let your boss know "hey just wanted you to know I took care of that...."  They might not always notice when you do little things but it'll pay off. Be the person your boss can depend on. For work, not the perfect cup of coffee. 

Have you thought of writing a book?  I'd rather read yours.

• Love 4
(edited)
12 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Have you thought of writing a book?  I'd rather read yours.

Yes I just don't know what I'd write about.   I'm better at off the top of my head stuff. Something strikes me as needing to be addressed. Maybe I should have a blog.

"SHIT THAT PISSES ME OFF, and other musings" 

Edited by teddysmom
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Yes I just don't know what I'd write about.   I'm better at off the top of my head stuff. Something strikes me as needing to be addressed. Maybe I should have a blog.

"SHIT THAT PISSES ME OFF, and other musings" 

Honestly, I think you should have a stand-up act. We need humor and brains!

• Love 3
Just now, stormy said:

Honestly, I think you should have a stand-up act.

Someone else told me that once. I have too much respect for how hard that is to think my occasional snark would make me good at it.  But thank you! 

I'm here all week, tip your waitress! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Anderson Cooper has an interview with Howard Stern at 10 ET tonight.

I saw some clips last night.  Very interesting especially given the discussion this morning about the real Donald trump.

The panel all agreed this is a reality show.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Chloesmom said:
21 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Sneak into her house and take the books.

Replace them with:

Michelle Obama's Becoming;  I am Malala; or Wild by Cheryl Strayed.

Or for fun and  role model material,  tell them to watch Aliens or Silence of the Lambs and watch 2 women put in much scarier situations than asking for a raise while putting up with a lot of shit from men. 

I absolutely love this post, and the suggested books for women to read, rather than the nonsensical crap Mika gets rich on. Your advice is spot on!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, stormy said:

Anderson Cooper has an interview with Howard Stern at 10 ET tonight.

I saw some clips last night.  Very interesting especially given the discussion this morning about the real Donald trump.

The panel all agreed this is a reality show.

I’m looking forward to watching this. I don’t listen to Stern’s show, but I really enjoy listening to what he has to say. He has really evolved (in a good way) from the early days of Howard Stern. 

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/24/2019 at 9:17 AM, cased said:

I’m looking forward to watching this. I don’t listen to Stern’s show, but I really enjoy listening to what he has to say. He has really evolved (in a good way) from the early days of Howard Stern. 

The interview came about because he has a new book. He should be on MJ. Authors are always welcome. Especially if they don't work for MSNBC.

Edited by stormy
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, stormy said:

The interview came about because he has a new book. He should be on MJ. Authors are always welcome. Especially if they don't work for MSNBC.

Lighting a candle and praying to the Gods of Booking that Howard Stern goes on Morning Joe.  All that would be left after he gets done with those two are piles of clothing in their seats and a couple of wisps of smoke.

PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

• LOL 3
4 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Lighting a candle and praying to the Gods of Booking that Howard Stern goes on Morning Joe.  All that would be left after he gets done with those two are piles of clothing in their seats and a couple of wisps of smoke.

PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

Well I don't know. Howard claims to be a changed man due to psychotherapy.  Maybe he and Mika would have all kinds of personal issues that would cause the whole thing to be a kind of bonding between them?

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, stormy said:

Well I don't know. Howard claims to be a changed man due to psychotherapy.  Maybe he and Mika would have all kinds of personal issues that would cause the whole thing to be a kind of bonding between them?

Howard may be a changed man due to therapy but he also knows BS when it arrives on the scene so I would think an interview with him wouldn't go well as pitting him against the Scarborough's as it's kind of like bring a knife to a gun flight.

Edited by Chloesmom
  • LOL 2
(edited)

MSNBC is so focused on politics that I don't even tune into my favorite shows anymore.

I will continue to watch MJ for the zany antics. Joe, Mika and their guests cannot take this seriously. 

The hosts aren't on the set. They bounce from serious topics to the Red Sox and soccer to more delusional criticizing of Joe's "former party". 

It's a never ending train wreck. 

Edited by stormy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, stormy said:

MSNBC is so focused on politics that I don't even tune into my favorite shows anymore.

Me neither.  Every show recaps the same stories. I'll listen to Rachel & BriWi podcasts at work just for noise. Brian does have good guests on. 

I can't take JoMika anymore.  As Jon Favreau so succinctly put it, the Morning Joe Acela Corridor Green Room of Bullshit. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/26/2019 at 9:45 AM, stormy said:

In the old days that would be like a couple bunny rabbits inviting a wolf in.  He's much more respectful of people, but I heard him on Conan &  Fresh Air podcasts and he really likes Conan and Terry so maybe it depends on the interviewer. 

He talks a lot so I don't know if a 10 minute segment on MJ is worth his time.   

I do want to read the book just to see the full interview with the Kardashians. He mentioned one question he asked them and I thought OMG I have to find out what they said I have been wondering this for years. 

Edited by teddysmom

Think our two knuckleheads at 11am this morning when Mueller came on were excitedly running around in circles yapping like pups?  I do.
I wonder if Joe is on the phone right now begging shows to let him on to BLOVE EE 8 like he's never bloviated before?  I bet he is.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Think our two knuckleheads at 11am this morning when Mueller came on were excitedly running around in circles yapping like pups?  I do.
I wonder if Joe is on the phone right now begging shows to let him on to BLOVE EE 8 like he's never bloviated before?  I bet he is.

Well they're in NY right?  Matthews is having a special at 2 pm.

Mika will be apoplectic tomorrow.   Danielle better go stock up on chocolate cakes.   

• LOL 3

I stopped at the library today; Meeka's book is checked out; it was checked out last week, too.  I am depressed that women are reading this crap.  However, a bright spot...Ken Starr's book, as far as I can tell, is never checked out.  I am speaking of the "New Books" shelf.

Did someone on this thread mention that maybe MSNBC is buying up copies?  Surely not; if so, it is absolutely Machiavellian (spelling, I know).  What irritates me the most, I think, is how Meeka takes such advantage; she is allowed to shill her outside projects continuously.  Joe, too.  I didn't think Chris would EVER shut up about his Kennedy book. 

I mean, outside of us, the loyal viewers, how many young women have even heard of Meeka?  And what an example...bleach your hair, get a boob job (at least it looks like it), have plastic surgery, pose as a sex kitten, leave your husband and marry your co-worker/boss.  That is surely not the advice I ever gave my daughter; seems she knew her value and ran with it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Landsnark said:

They are PUMPED.  They are Twittering away at each other and Joe changed his Twitter profile to reflect a Mueller quote.  I find it hilarious that they brought Matthews in and not Old Country Lawyer but since they are in NYC I am assuming they had a KYV soiree to attend.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

I stopped at the library today; Meeka's book is checked out; it was checked out last week, too.

You inspired me to look for her on Overdrive for our library.  They have four of her books in e-form, only one of which is checked out.  The new book is only available as an audiobook, and one person has it checked out, and nobody else has put a hold on it.

The good and relevant books are always wait-listed, even with multiple copies.  I waited about six months to read Fear, and four months for Andrew McCabe's book.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

I stopped at the library today; Meeka's book is checked out; it was checked out last week, too.  I am depressed that women are reading this crap.  However, a bright spot...Ken Starr's book, as far as I can tell, is never checked out.  I am speaking of the "New Books" shelf.

Did someone on this thread mention that maybe MSNBC is buying up copies?  Surely not; if so, it is absolutely Machiavellian (spelling, I know).  What irritates me the most, I think, is how Meeka takes such advantage; she is allowed to shill her outside projects continuously.  Joe, too.  I didn't think Chris would EVER shut up about his Kennedy book. 

I mean, outside of us, the loyal viewers, how many young women have even heard of Meeka?  And what an example...bleach your hair, get a boob job (at least it looks like it), have plastic surgery, pose as a sex kitten, leave your husband and marry your co-worker/boss.  That is surely not the advice I ever gave my daughter; seems she knew her value and ran with it.

I just checked the NYT bestseller lists, and the book isn’t on it ( Howard Stern is at #1 in non-fiction).  It’s the June 2 list, so it’s the current one. Mika is probably sad, so it’s a good thing she has the Mueller news to distract her. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Weren't they bragging last week that Meeka's book was on the Amazon Best Seller list? How does that list measure up to the NYT's list?

The NYT has a proprietary method for determining its best sellers. I believe Amazon’s list is based on sales on their site, as Suomi points out. 

Edited by may flowers
14 hours ago, millennium said:

FWIW, I can't stand the Beatles.  

Which Beatles, every Beatles? (After the first two, they were a different band with each album). 

Yellow Submarine sucked, big time. I'll say that. 

As of right now, Amazon rankings for the paperback version:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,118 in Books (See Top 100 in Books

And the Kindle version:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #43,873 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)

1 hour ago, may flowers said:

I believe Amazon’s list is based on sales on their site, as Suomi points out. 

Correct.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, suomi said:

Which Beatles, every Beatles? (After the first two, they were a different band with each album). 

Yellow Submarine sucked, big time. I'll say that. 

I cut my musical teeth on 62-66 and to this day find it difficult not to sing along to any song from that collection.   It's probably just conditioning at this point.

The hatred probably derives from the later stuff, so pompous and bombastic and in many cases just plain bad.   I mean "Come Together" -- WTF is that?   I hate "Come Together" more than any other song ever recorded.   And of course it is quite possibly the most overplayed song in the entire Beatles catalog.   I can barely get through a day without being exposed to "Come Together."  (Wanna bet Joe Scarborough loves "Come Together"?)

Yellow Submarine?  What you said.  Not to mention that hideous and ubiquitous Peter Max artwork that went viral before anyone knew what viral meant.

Deep breath.

John Lennon always annoyed me too.   So self-important.  I don't like him.   I don't like Yoko.   Is that politically incorrect?   Popular culture has always pushed the myth that Lennon must be forever mourned/revered/immortalized/whatever.   It became even more entrenched after the Times Square New Years' Eve celebration started including "Imagine" after the ball drops every year.

I don't mind Paul McCartney, really.   Band On the Run is an unforgettable album, and the titular song will always remind me of being a kid in the summertime.   For a string of summers, Wings always had a summer hit -- "Live and Let Die," "Silly Love Songs," "Someone's Knockin on the Door," etc.    

Ringo Starr always struck me as kind of a doofus, like he should have been on the Monkees TV show instead of in the Beatles.  His post-Beatles solo work isn't much to be admired.  "No, No, No, I Can't Drink It No More"?   Sure thing, Ringo.

George Harrison?  Meh.  What's to say?  Traveling Wilburys?   Whatever.   Few things can make me switch off a radio station more quickly than "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."   "Layla," maybe.   And George Harrison even had a hand in that song, in a Kevin Bacon Game kinda way.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, millennium said:

I cut my musical teeth on 62-66 and to this day find it difficult not to sing along to any song from that collection.   It's probably just conditioning at this point.

The hatred probably derives from the later stuff, so pompous and bombastic and in many cases just plain bad.   I mean "Come Together" -- WTF is that?   I hate "Come Together" more than any other song ever recorded.   And of course it is quite possibly the most overplayed song in the entire Beatles catalog.   I can barely get through a day without being exposed to "Come Together."  (Wanna bet Joe Scarborough loves "Come Together"?)

Yellow Submarine?  What you said.  Not to mention that hideous and ubiquitous Peter Max artwork that went viral before anyone knew what viral meant.

Deep breath.

John Lennon always annoyed me too.   So self-important.  I don't like him.   I don't like Yoko.   Is that politically incorrect?   Popular culture has always pushed the myth that Lennon must be forever mourned/revered/immortalized/whatever.   It became even more entrenched after the Times Square New Years' Eve celebration started including "Imagine" after the ball drops every year.

I don't mind Paul McCartney, really.   Band On the Run is an unforgettable album, and the titular song will always remind me of being a kid in the summertime.   For a string of summers, Wings always had a summer hit -- "Live and Let Die," "Silly Love Songs," "Someone's Knockin on the Door," etc.    

Ringo Starr always struck me as kind of a doofus, like he should have been on the Monkees TV show instead of in the Beatles.  His post-Beatles solo work isn't much to be admired.  "No, No, No, I Can't Drink It No More"?   Sure thing, Ringo.

George Harrison?  Meh.  What's to say?  Traveling Wilburys?   Whatever.   Few things can make me switch off a radio station more quickly than "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."   "Layla," maybe.   And George Harrison even had a hand in that song, in a Kevin Bacon Game kinda way.

I think John Lennon's murder was what made him sort of a revered person. Several books written about him show he had a nasty side, and was a terrible husband and father to his first wife and son, Julian. I always liked George! Why, you asked??? He financed the Python's movie, "Life of Brian", and I always thought he lived a more stable life than the other three. The one song that brings tears to my eyes is "Eleanor Rigby".....you can feel the pain of loneliness in each lyric.JMHO 

• Love 2

We're M &J on The View recently? I thought there was something on the MJ board?

Anyway, if they're brave enough to invite Meagan McCain on MJ, I would love it. Especially when the panel had to discuss yet another attack on John McCain today.

She's not well liked on The View board but I like her. She was on Van Jones' show on CNN a while back and I like her honestly, spunk and no one else in the McCain family is as vocal and has a platform as her.

13 hours ago, millennium said:

In my math class, senior year of high school, the boy behind me would often sing/mutter "Come Together." I think it was current at the time. It's never been one of my favorites.

BUT . . . I love The Beatles. They were my youth. My last year of elementary school saw their arrival in the US. I remember the girls all liked The Beatles while the boys preferred Elvis. Jump forward to my senior year in high school, which was the year the group disbanded. (Ugh, is that a bad pun?) I don't love "The Long and Winding Road," but it was quite the song to be hearing all the time just as one is embarking on college and the real world.

I find that, nowadays, I most enjoy hearing the early songs. 

Oh, and my favorite was George. 🙂

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

I find that, nowadays, I most enjoy hearing the early songs. 

Oh, and my favorite was George. 🙂

I remember sitting in my car crying when they announced on the radio George had died, and they played "While My Guitar...."

Glenn Frey was the same.  I cried like a baby. The Eagles were huge to me in my youth. We saw them with Linda Ronstadt. 

I don't think it's the person so much as just the realization the affect they had on us growing up, and that part of us is just a memory now. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Jordan Baker said:

I don't love "The Long and Winding Road,"

I do.  It's in my top five all time favorite songs, by anybody.  And now it's playing in my head, over and over.  

1 minute ago, Jordan Baker said:

Is that good or bad?? 🙂

In that it's a song I like, it's ok.  For now.

I have chronic earworm, which means there's always something on the turntable unless real music drowns it out.  The bad part is when a song won't leave, and plays over and over until I'm sick of it.  I once had a song (CSNY) that played in my head for two full days and I thought I was going to lose my mind.  Removed it from my iTunes so I'd never accidentally hear it again.

Oh, and I have vinyl of the Red and Blue Anthologies, the White Album, Meet the Beatles, and something else I'd have to open the box to remember.  I have all of their music on MP3.

Brain just flipped to While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

• Love 2

Poor Joe.  The Queen just gave the president of copy of a rare book once owned by Winston Churchill.  Doesn't she know the Scarborough's are on the continent and that book should have gone to him?  I hope it didn't ruin their second honeymoon.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, The Solution said:

I hope it has lots of pictures in it.

The Brits are throwing tons of shade at it on Twitter.  Apparently the copy isn't as valuable as first though so there is hope for Joe to get his copy afterall.

• Useful 1