Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Cup O' Joe

Dagny

Please remember that the Small Talk thread does not allow for the conversations that violate the Primetimer Politics Rule.

• Start Topic

53 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

she's been acting really weird on her shows, super hyper and siding with billionaires, corporations etc.  She was blasting a couple of the speakers at Davos re climate change, ie the people who believe in it and wanted to do something.

She started out in the hedge fund world, including a stint at Deutsche Bank. When people started reporting on questionable loans Deutsche Bank had made to the Trumps, she came to the bank's defense, in part because she personally knew some of the individuals involved. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, xaxat said:

She started out in the hedge fund world, including a stint at Deutsche Bank. When people started reporting on questionable loans Deutsche Bank had made to the Trumps, she came to the bank's defense, in part because she personally knew some of the individuals involved. 

Did she disclose that?

14 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Like Mika and Joe, Nicolle and Mike make good TV, but unlike the affectionately bickering “Morning Joe” spouses, their dynamic seems solidly serious and nonflirtatious

I don't see Nicolle's show that much I listen on line, but yeah you can't tell they're anything but coworkers.  FFS Kelly Ripa & Mark Consuelo are more professional when they host together than Joe & Mika.  I think they believe their flirting on air is cute, rather than the nausea inducing mess that it really is. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

Did you guys hear about Stephanie Ruhle and the CEO of Under Armour? 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/21/under-armour-ceo-reportedly-had-problematic-ties-to-msnbc-anchor.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/21/business/kevin-plank-under-armour-stephanie-ruhle/index.html

Apparently they were/are dating and she's giving him business advice that he takes over his Board of Directors. 

My sister and I both have been wondering if something was going on with her, she's been acting really weird on her shows, super hyper and siding with billionaires, corporations etc.  She was blasting a couple of the speakers at Davos re climate change, ie the people who believe in it and wanted to do something.

I noticed too in the past couple of months her behavior in terms of defending some pretty lopsided fiduciary behaviors.  Ali Velshi had to rein her in a couple of times as what she was saying was rather offensive unless you are a billionaire.  I used to really enjoy her and watched whenever she was on but now I just tune into Ali's show in the afternoon.

• Love 3
Just now, Chloesmom said:

I noticed too in the past couple of months her behavior in terms of defending some pretty lopsided fiduciary behaviors.  Ali Velshi had to rein her in a couple of times as what she was saying was rather offensive unless you are a billionaire.  I used to really enjoy her and watched whenever she was on but now I just tune into Ali's show in the afternoon.

Same here! I listen to MSNBC on line during the day at work and I wait til 10 when Hallie comes on.   Something is def up with Steph, but Chris Janssing is subbing this week. I haven't listened to MSNBC  much becos I can't take 24-7 Barr letter/no collusion bs, so I'm torturing myself listening to the Undisclosed podcast on the Adnan Syed HBO doc. 

• Love 1

I never would have known Nicolle and Michael Schmidt were an item.  I've seen him on her show and never saw any indication they were anything but colleagues and never noticed anybody being uncomfortable on the panel(s).  Even though Joe and Meeks are married, I still find them to be silly and unprofessional which is even worst when they are in a regular studio and you get to see their physicality so to speak.  Blech.

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

I never would have known Nicolle and Michael Schmidt were an item.  I've seen him on her show and never saw any indication they were anything but colleagues and never noticed anybody being uncomfortable on the panel(s).  Even though Joe and Meeks are married, I still find them to be silly and unprofessional which is even worst when they are in a regular studio and you get to see their physicality so to speak.  Blech.

I watch Nicolle's show almost every day, and I had no idea either. I know he's a guest quite a bit, but she tends to have regulars, all of whom are usually knowledgable and good at explaining stuff. 

MS always looks so serious. I know he's a good journalist, but between the serious demeanor and that turned up collar thing he does, I tend to think of him as The Count. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Hmm no. Not buying it. He's 12 years younger and seems totally asexual to me.  Guessing Nicolle got herself involved in something more complicated and Schmidt volunteered as a friend to be the Public Transitional Boyfriend for a couple of months. Just a hunch from watching her interactions with certain other people. We'll see. I may be totally wrong, it's just a guess! Either way, good for her. Be brave, follow your heart.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Jordan Baker said:

I watch Nicolle's show almost every day, and I had no idea either. I know he's a guest quite a bit, but she tends to have regulars, all of whom are usually knowledgable and good at explaining stuff. 

MS always looks so serious. I know he's a good journalist, but between the serious demeanor and that turned up collar thing he does, I tend to think of him as The Count. 

The Count . . . hee!

• Love 1

I know folks have discussed/recommended books from time to time and I just wanted to flag "Ladies Who Punch" which is a The View tell all and it's a beaut.  It's right up there with Fire and Fury . . . . yikes!

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, ShuFace88 said:

I agree! He gave the best answer I have heard in years about the late term abortion fear mongering by the right. I love how he pointed out how these pregnancies were wanted and meant to go full term but tragic circumstances intervened and now the families have a terrible decision to make. He asked how the government making this decision is better than the mother, her doctor and her religious or spiritual counselor? I would love to see him in a Vice-Presidential debate against MIke Pence.

My cousin's daughter found out, five months into her first pregnancy, that her baby had a set of defects which meant that he would not live to term/would not be delivered alive. She was given the option of closely monitoring his deteriorating condition and inducing his birth while he was still alive but would not survive long. She opted for that and at about 7.5 months was able to hold and love on a live infant for a few hours. Because she was given that choice, she has beautiful photos and memories of him.

That deeply religious little family of three (who now are two) is the face of late term abortion.  

He gave the best answer I have heard in years about the late term abortion fear mongering by the right.

Sadly, he blew it on the health care rationing question. I’m waiting for the politician who responds, “Healthcare in this country has been rationed for decades. It’s rationed by the employers who choose your insurance company, and then the by insurance companies who choose your doctors and tell you what procedures you can have.” Literally NO ONE says it this way and it drives me bonkers.

• Love 3

I really wish MSNBC would wise up and give Brian Williams and Nicole Wallace the 3 hour morning show.  They are SOOOO good covering this Barr hearing.  No yelling, no bragging about knowing everyone employee at DOJ/FBI/CIA. Just solid conversation and critical review by Joyce Vance, Maya and Chuck Rosenberg. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I really wish MSNBC would wise up and give Brian Williams and Nicole Wallace the 3 hour morning show.  They are SOOOO good covering this Barr hearing.  No yelling, no bragging about knowing everyone employee at DOJ/FBI/CIA. Just solid conversation and critical review by Joyce Vance, Maya and Chuck Rosenberg. 

I couldn't agree more, the perfect combination/show.  All can speak beautifully to a variety of topics.  I am still stunned MSNBC gave those two a three year contract extension.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

I couldn't agree more, the perfect combination/show.  All can speak beautifully to a variety of topics.  I am still stunned MSNBC gave those two a three year contract extension.

Wait til they read Mika's little diatribe about how she's the real genius of the show and how it's so stressful for her.

If you hate it so much there's the door. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, teddysmom said:

how it's so stressful for her.

If you hate it so much there's the door. 

Sing it, sister.  Must be so damn stressful to play at hosting a teevee show that you don't have to prepare for, let other people carry the load, and earn megabucks to boot.  

I'm still seething about her bitching about getting up at 4.  Like she has to do anything but roll out of bed while someone else drives her to the studio (when she even bothers to come to NY), does her hair and makeup, feeds her, and tells her the topics of the day.  My last ICU job started at 6 am, after a miserable commute through metro traffic even at that hour, and went nonstop, backbreaking, mind-blowing and soul-sucking work, until 6:30 pm, and I made probably about 2% of what this entitled twit is pulling in.  

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Sing it, sister.  Must be so damn stressful to play at hosting a teevee show that you don't have to prepare for, let other people carry the load, and earn megabucks to boot.  

I'm still seething about her bitching about getting up at 4.  Like she has to do anything but roll out of bed while someone else drives her to the studio (when she even bothers to come to NY), does her hair and makeup, feeds her, and tells her the topics of the day.  My last ICU job started at 6 am, after a miserable commute through metro traffic even at that hour, and went nonstop, backbreaking, mind-blowing and soul-sucking work, until 6:30 pm, and I made probably about 2% of what this entitled twit is pulling in.  

exactly!  

I was thinking the same thing, try doing a 12 hour shift like first responders, health care providers, etc you whiny bitch. 

Brian and Nicolle hosted the entire Barr hearing yesterday from 10 am on. Nicolle left at the noon break and came back at 4 for her show and Brian hosted his show at 11.  

She bitches about how she was only getting paid several hundred dollars a day to be at the studio overnight for news reading and breaking news prior to MJ,  but it was doing what she loved. The only reason she loves it is because she is on tv and gets attention.  Does she know how many people would like to get paid "several hundred dollars a day" .

Know Your Value should be called "I will stomp my feet and throw a fit until you do what I want".  

• Love 5

It is odd (well, funny/odd) that in her own way, Meeka is Paris Hilton.  If memory serves, Meeks used Ms. Hilton to lampoon and launch herself into a She Who Will Be Heard.  She threw a hissy fit on camera.  Yep, that is one way to KYV.

Some say that Ms. Hilton is shallow and makes money off of her Brand.  And is a bit of a princess.  Pot and Kettle?  

• Love 4
Just now, Kemper said:

Some say that Ms. Hilton is shallow and makes money off of her Brand.  And is a bit of a princess.

I'd say that Paris Hilton as least owns who she is, and doesn't pretend to be what she is not.

• Love 3
(edited)
4 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I'd say that Paris Hilton as least owns who she is, and doesn't pretend to be what she is not.

And she had a sense of humor.

We can't really say that about the Birthday Girl, can we? 

Unless KYV is just one gigantic troll. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I made a mid-life career change because I wanted to do hospice home care as a CNA. To gain the experience and confidence necessary for going solo in private homes I decided to work in an assisted living facility for 2 years, mostly in the memory unit. I worked a hall with 12 residents from 10pm-6am and one of my main and constant duties was changing adult diapers and assisting those who were continent with using the toilet.

I was paid less than $100 per shift and I actually loved my job.

If they're taking suggestions I say Mika can shove her so-called problems and complaints up her ass BID (2 times a day). 

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, suomi said:

If they're taking suggestions I say Mika can shove her so-called problems and complaints up her ass BID (2 times a day). 

How about QID (4 times a day) and QHS (at bedtime)?  Then it should be big enough to pry the stick out of it.  😹😹😹 

Most people would kill to have her "problems."  But then, most people aren't the 1%.

• Love 3
(edited)
27 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Most people would kill to have her "problems."  But then, most people aren't the 1%.

When she lists out her problems, raising kids, divorce, waking up before the sun, does she realize that's probably the majority of adults in this country? FFS, I get up before the sun every fucking day including weekends.  Big deal. 

And the rest of us do it without being paid millions of dollars? 

What in God's name does she think is so special about herself?   Most of us just go to work, hope for a raise, stand up for ourselves when necessary, pray we don't get laid off, and thank God we got thru another day. 

We don't start shaminars and charge money to get a bunch of women in a room and make them listen to us bitch about our lives and force feed our imbecilic advice on them. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, teddysmom said:

When she lists out her problems, raising kids, divorce, waking up before the sun, does she realize that's probably the majority of adults in this country? FFS, I get up before the sun every fucking day including weekends.  Big deal. 

And the rest of us do it without being paid millions of dollars? 

What in God's name does she think is so special about herself?   Most of us just go to work, hope for a raise, stand up for ourselves when necessary, pray we don't get laid off, and thank God we got thru another day. 

We don't start shaminars and charge money to get a bunch of women in a room and make them listen to us bitch about our lives and force feed our imbecilic advice on them. 

Tee Hee....shaminars...what a perfect name for KYV. I get soooooo tired of all the incessant plugs for their meetings, books, and bands, etc. I usually switch channels when the advertisements start, or when the rants begin. Willie and Heilman give this show a degree of professionalism, as do some other guests. JoeMeeka? Not so much. JMHO

• Love 4

When is someone at MSNBC going to realize that the only reason anyone watches this show is because educated liberals/progressives keep MSNBC on as background noise, just like they once did with MTV? (That, and for the occasional snark moment.) The show has become an unwatchable embarrassment and this morning's show was Exhibit A for that premise. My main question after the 10 minutes I could stand was whether Joe was snorting bath salts or meth. And also how long would it take for Willie to snap - he looked like he wanted to die or kill Joe during the birthday tribute.

We deserve better than this and the replacement is already on set and had to endure a torturous birthday tribute this morning.

• Love 6

Al Sharpton met with Mayor Pete at Silvio's . He liked him. Sharpton said that Kamala Harris did well in questioning Barr.

49 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I didn't watch was he on today? 

No.

23 minutes ago, The Solution said:

When is someone at MSNBC going to realize that the only reason anyone watches this show is because educated liberals/progressives keep MSNBC on as background noise, just like they once did with MTV? (That, and for the occasional snark moment.) The show has become an unwatchable embarrassment and this morning's show was Exhibit A for that premise. My main question after the 10 minutes I could stand was whether Joe was snorting bath salts or meth. And also how long would it take for Willie to snap - he looked like he wanted to die or kill Joe during the birthday tribute.

We deserve better than this and the replacement is already on set and had to endure a torturous birthday tribute this morning.

Ratings are ratings. MSNBC doesn’t care if people are paying attention or hate watching, as long as people are tuned in.

I don’t find Willie any better. He’s done some pretty shit things, said pretty terrible things, and is just Joe Jr with marginally better hair (sometimes).

• Love 4

Michael Bennet is running for President. Joe wrote a very positive op ed supporting  him for President.  Michael was upset that he showed up in NY for an interview, but Joe is in Florida.

Joe apologized but said it was OK to do it using his remote.

• Love 3

Joe showed a clip of Biden calling Dick Cheney a decent man. Joe said it was ok to like people that they disagreed with politically.

Joe said that Obama liked George W Bush.

13 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe said that Obama liked George W Bush.

I think Joe is mistaking being polite with liking.  Joe doesn't realize that unlike he and Mika, most adults control themselves and can function around people they don't esp care for.

I seriously cannot believe this BS about Halperin.  Maybe they want MSNBC to fire them?  

• Love 6

I saw the Biden comment about Pence being a nice guy, or however he stated it. Huh??? Pence is every bit of a liar as trump. Conversion Therapy? I think Joe better take another, closer look at Cheney and Pence.Nothing nice about either one of them....IMHO.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, oakville said:

Michael was upset that he showed up in NY for an interview, but Joe is in Florida.

Like he wasted his time, or that Joe is living it up in FL and he's in NY? 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, XOQueens said:

Ratings are ratings. MSNBC doesn’t care if people are paying attention or hate watching, as long as people are tuned in.

I don’t find Willie any better. He’s done some pretty shit things, said pretty terrible things, and is just Joe Jr with marginally better hair (sometimes).

ITA

The show is just a (bad) habit to me. I only watch so I can commiserate with you guys. It's group therapy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, stormy said:

The show is just a (bad) habit to me. I only watch so I can commiserate with you guys. It's group therapy.

same here.  I fall asleep sometimes with msnbc on and wake up and it's still on. Depending on what happened day before I might leave it on but i normally try to have something dvr'd to watch I'm finally realizing it's not healthy to be so angry at a couple knuckleheads who have no relevance in my life other than pissing me off. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, oakville said:

Michael was upset that he showed up in NY for an interview, but Joe is in Florida.

He was already in NY for other interviews, including Rachel last night, so he'll get over it.

Aside from the arrogance of being able to dictate to your employers where you're going to work, Joe and the network ignore the simple truth of talk shows and interview shows that the shows are a thousand times better when the hosts and guests are sitting at the same table.  It's not just MJ, but every show.  That's one reason I like Nicolle's show so much; she always has a panel sitting around the table with her, with a minimum of remote guests.  There's something about the remote feed and the guest staring into the camera and listening for their cue that degrades and chops up a discussion.  And a thousand times worse when it's the host, not the guest, who's on the remote feed.

• Love 4

Ok so I'm watching Donny's new show (it needs a few tweeks but I'm good with it) and there is a commercial for Morning Joe and they use the word "passionate" to describe it.  For me, I think based on their history I would steer clear of that word but I am afraid this is what we have become.  They also feature shots of the Scarboroughs on set with everyone else which is simply not the case and probably not a great idea to showcase.  I weep for the old NBC/MSNBC.

• Love 3
On 5/3/2019 at 2:48 PM, teddysmom said:

Like he wasted his time, or that Joe is living it up in FL and he's in NY? 

I think it was rude for Joe not to show up for Bennet. Joe wrote a very special op ed praising him & encouraging him to run for President. Bennet agreed and now Joe can't be bothered to show up in NY for the interview. Joe's tax free status in Florida could be affected if he spends too many days outside Florida.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Ok so I'm watching Donny's new show (it needs a few tweeks but I'm good with it) and there is a commercial for Morning Joe and they use the word "passionate" to describe it.  For me, I think based on their history I would steer clear of that word but I am afraid this is what we have become.  They also feature shots of the Scarboroughs on set with everyone else which is simply not the case and probably not a great idea to showcase.  I weep for the old NBC/MSNBC.

Shoot, I forgot all about Donny's show, didn't see it. J and M were incredibly dismissive and condescending when they mentioned it - and Mika was downright rude. WT everlovin' F. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

I didn't think Donny's show was at all bad. I had expected the worse.

I was not surprised to see it's taped. And Donny is much better than he usually comes across on MJ.

• Love 2

I dvr'd Donny's show and it was (IMO) unwatchable.  I barely got thru the interview with Pete Buttigieg. 

How many criminals does Donny know?  

Mike Barnicle? Seriously? The best they could come up with? 

• LOL 4
6 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I dvr'd Donny's show and it was (IMO) unwatchable.  I barely got thru the interview with Pete Buttigieg. 

How many criminals does Donny know?  

MJ  (and a good part of the network) is one small, incestuous family.  The usual suspects pop up everywhere so they can push one another's outside projects and pursuits.  Books? Shaminars? Garage Bands? T-Shirt sales?  Covered!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, Kemper said:

MJ  (and a good part of the network) is one small, incestuous family.  The usual suspects pop up everywhere so they can push one another's outside projects and pursuits.  Books? Shaminars? Garage Bands? T-Shirt sales?  Covered!

I notice none of the members of the Scarborough cult appear on the prime time shows.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

I notice none of the members of the Scarborough cult appear on the prime time shows.  

That's because Chris Hayes/Rachel Maddow/Lawrence O'Donnell are serious journalists.

I notice that there is some cross-pollination with Chris Matthews...

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Inorite?  For me, a journalist who is caught in multiple episodes of plagiarism should be just as banned from the airwaves as a journalist who is caught engaging in sexual harassment.  Not given a cushy cable TV gig where he can sip coffee and try to sound pithy.

Barnicle's still basking in his Aleppo moment and he shouldn't, he really shouldn't.  He got lucky that day that Gary Johnson was that stupid.

• Love 3