Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Cup O' Joe

Dagny

Please remember that the Small Talk thread does not allow for the conversations that violate the Primetimer Politics Rule.

• Start Topic

As long as our media refuse to put people like this on notice that these tactics aren't acceptable, we'll continue to get more of the same. Don't let them off the hook!

Seth Meyers dragged NBC pretty hard last night for airing that ad during the football game.   Katy Tury interviewed a couple people at a Trump rally and they were just spouting blatant bullshit and she just kept asking "but why do you say that?" instead of "that is not true, I'll be more than happy to get on my phone right now and prove it to you". 

• Love 2

It really is something that their schtick is politics, it’s the point of their show and they are not on the election night team. 

Dont get me wrong I’m very glad they are not on tonite, as I’m sure all those on the panel are, as well as all viewers. 

But it’s kinda humiliating for them I think. 

• Love 3

I started the festivities by watching the delightful team of Williams, Maddow, Wallace, Robinson and Matthews. All voices are modulated, all are well-spoken, they don't interrupt or speak over each other, they don't hog the camera. They inhabit a world Joe and Mika do not fit into, not in their wildest dreams. It is entirely appropriate that they are not sitting at the adult table. Karma! The sun is well over the yardarm and surely Scoop and her liege have transitioned from day drinking to bitter drinking. Cheers! I wonder if they use MJ's early:30 slot to justify their exclusion from the biggest political event in 2 years? Because everyone knows how dedicated they are to appearing on their own show every day. Snort. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, novhappy said:

It really is something that their schtick is politics, it’s the point of their show and they are not on the election night team. 

Dont get me wrong I’m very glad they are not on tonite, as I’m sure all those on the panel are, as well as all viewers. 

Joe isn’t even getting a call-in cameo to talk about the Florida race. It has to get to him that Joy Reid — a woman, and a women of colour, no less! — is the Florida expert and not the former country lawyer from the Panhandle.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, MulletorHater said:

If this show was one of those biblical flicks of the 1950's and 1960's, Meek-a and her would-be husband would have been struck down by lightning for these particular blasphemies.  Evidently, they want us to forget that they were basically auditioning for what was to be Trump TV throughout the entire 2016 campaign.  They also want us to forget that after seeming to back away due to Trump dismal poll numbers, their auditions gained steam after their infamous September 2016 visit to Trump Tower.  Their behavior was so obvious that several media outlets, media watchdog groups and viewers commented on it in real time.

I won't even touch on the timing of their belated admission that Trump allegedly told them that he knew that birtherism was "bad, but it works." 

Agreed. This is the main reason I don't watch the show anymore. Mika & Joe have no credibility on discussing politics anymore IMHO. The guests are boring. The hosts don't show up anymore. I am sad about the loss of a good concept show. I am focused on managing my "401k" retirement package so I switched to CNBC.

3 hours ago, novhappy said:

Frankly, it's embarassing. Joe should be the Florida "expert" & should be on the panel given critical races for Governor & Senate.

• Love 3

Maybe The Twins aren't on the election shows tonight because they have to be up early for their show. I'll show myself out.

I actually don't think either one of them cares about being on other shows; they think they are THE morning show that people tune in first thing in the morning to get their political fix.  Joe has a really healthy ego; he thinks he is cooler and more knowledgeable than most other analyst on the network.   Mika...not so much.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Maybe The Twins aren't on the election shows tonight because they have to be up early for their show. I'll show myself out.

I actually don't think either one of them cares about being on other shows; they think they are THE morning show that people tune in first thing in the morning to get their political fix.  Joe has a really healthy ego; he thinks he is cooler and more knowledgeable than most other analyst on the network.   Mika...not so much.

It's hilarious how out of touch Joe is with Florida. I might tune in tomorrow to see how Joe spins the election results. I thought it was a slam dunk for the Democrats to sweep in Florida & Georgia.  More importantly, a key friend of the show, Claire Macakaskill was defeated in her Senate race. How could Joe be so wrong? Why didn't the residents of the "show me state" listen to King Joe & Queen Mika ?

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Kemper said:

This is the best, honest-to-God-laugh I have had this morning!  And I love(d) Steve and Eydie.  

Actually, the best belly-laugh I get is reading the comments in the Orange County Housewives thread.  We have talented, witty, smart people on this web site.  

Kemper that's exactly why I watch Dr K Exotic Animal ER!

Edited by stormy
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe won’t be on the air in 2020. The old morning Joe would have been much better at analyzing the election race in Florida. New Joe is unwatchable. There was no one on that I saw on the panel today that I was interested in watching. Joes platitudes are stunningly superficial. I was looking forward to a post election show like they did in 2016. Mika and Joe apparently live in Florida now yet are clueless about what goes on in their own state. Didn’t Joe brag about being friends with Ben Nelson. Nelson helped the panhandle when they had a hurricane during Joes reign as a congressman. The polls were wrong again in Florida. Nate Silver blew it

I agree Joe won't last til 2020.

There is going to be a recount in Florida. Nelson isn't dead yet.

• Love 2

I like Michael Moore...like what he has to say most of the time.  But I just want to slap him upside the head and scream at him to take the blasted baseball cap off.  When I see him wearing it (which is all the time) I honestly think death rays come out of my eyes and ears.  Your a grown man, for God's sake; take off your cap and sit up straight.  I guess it is his trademark.  Still hate it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

I like Michael Moore...like what he has to say most of the time.  But I just want to slap him upside the head and scream at him to take the blasted baseball cap off.  When I see him wearing it (which is all the time) I honestly think death rays come out of my eyes and ears.  Your a grown man, for God's sake; take off your cap and sit up straight.  I guess it is his trademark.  Still hate it.

I agree that the baseball cap is unprofessional. However, I had to chance to meet him when he was here in Toronto for the Premiere of Farenheight 11/9. in September .He is very sincere in person.  He deserves kudos for calling out the "cocktail party democrats" . I loved his movie & he bought everyone who attended his movie a beer at a local pub after the movie. I like him more than Joe & Mika.They are fake. Joe is pissed off that Trump never made him part of his administration.

• Love 4

I don't know how I never saw this before. I feel like I hit google's Mega Millions. The photo, my goodness. I wish I knew what year he shared his bonus with her. This happened on the show so I hope it's OK to post it in the episodes thread. 

The Sexism of 'Morning Joe'

One Monday morning in November, according to the admittedly rough transcript provided by the Federal News Service, “Morning Joe,” anchor Joe Scarborough spoke 3,213 words; his co-anchor Mika Brzezinski spoke just 644. Most of her words seemed merely to remind the audience that she was still awake: Yeah. Okay. Yes. No. Maybe. Right. Terrific. Scarborough dominated the meaty segments; Brzezinski piped up mainly during the transitions. She asked guest Richard Haass, President of the Council on Foreign Relations, only one thing: “Terrific, eh?” she chimed, referring to our poor diplomatic relationship with Afghanistan.

Perhaps the most egregious example from “Morning Joe” was on display in January of 2008, the morning that John McCain won the Florida primary. Referring to Charlie Crist’s endorsement of McCain, Scarborough said: “I don’t endorse anybody because as you know [pause], I’m a journalist.” Brzezinski giggled—presumably because, although he was a newspaper editor for a brief period, the authority of Scarborough’s punditry stems more from his experience as a congressman than his journalistic chops. Brzezinski, by comparison, has worked in television for almost 20 years and had a long career at CBS News, where she was, among other things, an anchor of the weekend edition of the evening news, a contributor to “60 Minutes,” and CBS’s lead reporter on the September 11th attacks.

His ego apparently bruised, Scarborough barked: “Mika, don’t make me backhand you.” To which, Brzezinski shook her head and dismissed the comment with an off-handed “Oh Lord.” The clip went viral when Media Matters, a progressive, not-for-profit research center, posted it on their website. Domestic violence jokes may be amusing to some with a taste for gallows-type humor. Personally, when watching a political news show on a progressive cable network that bears the slogan “lean forward,” I’d rather not see the anchor joke about hitting his female co-host.

In addition to such retrograde verbal jousting, and the hosts’ vastly unequal oratorical contributions, the show permits a type of patronization that should not be tolerated by journalists of Brzezinski’s caliber. One particularly nauseating segment aired in December of 2008 when Brzezinski was mugged outside her hotel on her way to a taping. Scarborough opened the show that morning with a three-minute rant about the mugging.

“I am furious,” bellowed Scarborough, ignoring Brzezinski’s pleas to leave it alone. “We always give her five dollars in case something like that happens,” he said. Then, Pat Buchanan, the morning’s guest, voiced his grandfatherly pity for poor Mika: “It’s outrageous, they ought to have a doorman or something, or have people walk you to the car.” For three minutes, Brzezinski squirmed in her chair, periodically protesting that she was just fine.

There’s nothing wrong with expressing sympathy for someone who endured a mugging. But Scarborough’s tirade, while seemingly sincere, was also condescending and inconsiderate in its dismissal of Brzezinski’s requests that the matter not be discussed on-air. It’s hard to imagine the same scenario playing out between Scarborough and female journalists who have established independent careers, like Christiane Amanpour, Diane Sawyer, or magazine editor Tina Brown. If any of these women had been mugged, and had decided to discuss the attack on air, it seems probable that they would have told the story and expressed their own outrage.

https://newrepublic.com/article/79832/morning-joe

• Love 2

I think I remember seeing that somewhere suomi.

I appreciate that Mika has been in the "news business" much longer than Joe, and that Joe isn't any more a journalist than the glass of water on my desk, but she is not, in any way shape or form a reporter, nor should she be compared to Diane Sawyer or Christiane Amanpour, as the article seems to imply.  Yes she reported from lower Manhattan on Sept 11, but only because she happened to be down there and no one else was nor could they get there.  I could be wrong, but I don't believe CBS sent her down there.  

As far as the rest of the article, the fact that she puts up with Joe is on her.   Joe is an asshole, he always has been and always will be.  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, suomi said:

The Sexism of 'Morning Joe'

Joe may be sexist.  He may not.  The show certainly isn't.  The interplay between those two is unhealthy, and it possibly could stem from some misogyny Joe harbors, but it's in no way a defining characteristic of him or his show.  He's a bully.  She's out of her depth.  It's fair to describe her as such.  To give her idiocy leeway in order to pander to her gender is sexist.
That list of her "accomplishments" is nonsense.  She embodies the axiom that it's all about just showing up.  What should be more notable is her meager contributions to 60 Minutes... they loved her so much they used her... once? Twice?  Excellent.  She was a part time weekend anchor, and a reporter who would break breaking news.  Know what that really is?  A bench player.  Only the JV team work weekends in spot duty.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Landsnark said:

Joe may be sexist.  He may not.  The show certainly isn't.

You don't think so? I tend to think it is. It isn't an example of gendered equality in terms of on-air personalities, invited commentators/guests, or stories covered.

• Love 1
On 11/7/2018 at 8:50 AM, 17wheatthins said:

Folks, this is the small talk thread. Discussion of Joe and Mika should not be taking place here, nor should anything political. You all know PTV has a “no politics” rule. I understand it’s a big topic right now, and you’re free to discuss it via PM. Just keep the politics out of the threads please. Otherwise, there will be warnings meted out. 

Thank you all!

I think everyone is used to talking about Joe/Mika in this Small Talk thread but it sounds like the Small Talk policy is changing.

If we're not supposed to do that anymore in Small Talk then I like the idea of having a Hosts thread because we gotta talk about them somewhere. It would be bad for our health to hold it in! So I voted Yes on Proposition 1 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, suomi said:

I think everyone is used to talking about Joe/Mika in this Small Talk thread but it sounds like the Small Talk policy is changing.

If we're not supposed to do that anymore in Small Talk then I like the idea of having a Hosts thread because we gotta talk about them somewhere. It would be bad for our health to hold it in! So I voted Yes on Proposition 1 

I agree. I understand the PTV no politics rule, but I thought Joe/Mika Talk would be allowed in the Small Talk thread.  I don’t see why it wouldn’t be allowed, but I would be in favor of a Joe/Mika thread.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, XOQueens said:

You don't think so? I tend to think it is.

On set this morning i think it's 66% ladies.  Susan DP, Katty, Mika, Joe, and Willie (I think, the cast of clowns changes from commercial to commercial and I'm not sure of the timeline of who's on when).  Pretty much they'll have on anyone who wants to be on.  No women have ever been limited in their opinions.  Except Mika and I think that has more to do with the personal tension between them.
I mean, the larger personalities tend to breathe all the air, especially when it gets to sports and boys being boys.  That may be casually sexist where the guys passively bully the ladies in a "boys will be boys" "No Girls! This is our clubhouse" manner.  I don't think I've ever seen the reverse to be true where the women ran with a topic on purpose because the guys can't keep up.
Potentially they worked in a sexist environment when she was wearing 5" Louboutins and pencil skirts.

5 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

The reasoning is that Small Talk threads are intended for just that: small talk, stories, pictures, recipes, whatever, and not show-related. If you look at other small talk thread descriptions, you can see what our admins intended them to be used for. We’re trying to tidy up the threads now, and hopefully together we can create something with which we are all comfortable.  :-)

I think a "Hosts" thread is a good idea. And like others, didn't realize Small Talk wasn't for the JoMika conversations. 

Question: As long as we stay away from politics, can the Hosts thread include guests or make that a separate thread? Example: Peggy Noonan was on Hardball last night and it was a train wreck. If she happened to be on MJ this morning can we mention in Hosts/Guests? As long as we don't devolve into discussing what happened but stay on her in particular?   

I believe we all want to respect the forums and we get along great so any guidelines to keep us in line are appreciated.  

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

On set this morning i think it's 66% ladies.  Susan DP, Katty, Mika, Joe, and Willie (I think, the cast of clowns changes from commercial to commercial and I'm not sure of the timeline of who's on when).  Pretty much they'll have on anyone who wants to be on.  No women have ever been limited in their opinions.  Except Mika and I think that has more to do with the personal tension between them.
I mean, the larger personalities tend to breathe all the air, especially when it gets to sports and boys being boys.  That may be casually sexist where the guys passively bully the ladies in a "boys will be boys" "No Girls! This is our clubhouse" manner.  I don't think I've ever seen the reverse to be true where the women ran with a topic on purpose because the guys can't keep up.
Potentially they worked in a sexist environment when she was wearing 5" Louboutins and pencil skirts.

I honestly think some of this is because Meeka LETS herself be bullied.  Maybe it was how she was raised.  I cannot imagine most of the other women guests putting up with it long term.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

We can all come together and create a thread or threads that we think would be best. This is a great opportunity for all of our wonderful members to have a part in deciding how this forum will be going forward.  

My biggest request is that everyone be mindful of the no politics rule. I know things in the world and in the US seem to be changing every day, but we like PTV to be a fun place to talk about tv shows and characters/personalities and things we love or love to hate about them. 

And remember, if you really must talk about politics beyond what was on this or any other show, you can do so via PM. 

:-)

I'll be honest...it's hard to draw the line. MJ is a show *about* politics, so when you're commenting about how you're feeling about something that was said on the show (or pointing out that something someone said was factually incorrect or utterly reprehensible) it's very difficult to know what is or is not appropriate.

I think, for the most part, we've all been pretty respectful of one another and would love to have a "Politics of Morning Joe" thread, just as a test, to see if there's a way we can figure out a way to have that conversation here. I get why that might not fly. But it's disappointing.

ETA: +1 on a thread for Guests.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 11
7 minutes ago, Eliot said:

I think, for the most part, we've all been pretty respectful of one another and would love to have a "Politics of Morning Joe" thread, just as a test, to see if there's a way we can figure out a way to have that conversation here. I get why that might not fly. But it's disappointing

I was wondering the same thing. If we can discuss for example "Joe (or whoever) said this or that, and it's a not true that I know of, or I agree, whatever and yada yada".   Then someone can chime in, Oh I think they were right for this reason, etc". 

As long as we don't get into "I Love so and so candidate and the other one sucks", maybe it would work? I know when we've veered into it a little in the show forum, we don't seem to be attacking each other, TPTB just reel us in so it doesn't get into that area.  I have really enjoyed this forum, even when I don't turn MJ on I know I can count on a recap just from the conversations.  

Just a thought.   I'm here for however this all works out. 

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

Absolutely agree that it’s a very thin line. 

I guess the best way to approach it is if XYZ topic was on the show, feel free to discuss what they talked about. Even if you want to talk about whether or not you agree with them. But, if you’re going to bring up something that wasn’t actually discussed on the show, then please don’t. It’s a learning curve, and we can all work together to create a great space to discuss Morning Joe. Especially if we can all have discussions which are civil. Which, I feel, this little group here does very well. My biggest concern with this show is the ease with which we could fall into discussing politics as a whole, rather than what was on the show. That’s where we have to draw the line.

Totally understand and agree.  Maybe if we try to remember to PM if we want to get into the politics.   Just like we do when we move to Small Talk.  Example "hey I'll PM you I have some thoughts on this and don't want to get into it here so we don't break rules". 

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

group pm

That would be great. I think we can keep things civil I haven't noticed any problems with discussions, we disagree occasionally, but I think we all respect each other.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

That would be great. I think we can keep things civil I haven't noticed any problems with discussions, we disagree occasionally, but I think we all respect each other.

ITA

I've never seen anyone get into it politically with another poster. I think most of us have been here for a long time, respect each other and our views. Plus we like each other's company.

That's pretty much why I watch MJ and tune in every morning to hear what my fellow MJ die hearts are thinking.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

Absolutely agree that it’s a very thin line. 

I guess the best way to approach it is if XYZ topic was on the show, feel free to discuss what they talked about. Even if you want to talk about whether or not you agree with them. But, if you’re going to bring up something that wasn’t actually discussed on the show, then please don’t. It’s a learning curve, and we can all work together to create a great space to discuss Morning Joe. Especially if we can all have discussions which are civil. Which, I feel, this little group here does very well. My biggest concern with this show is the ease with which we could fall into discussing politics as a whole, rather than what was on the show. That’s where we have to draw the line.

In addition to what @17wheatthins wrote, please don't use derogatory terms and/or nicknames when discussing people, e.g., Cheetolini, the orange one, deplorables, etc. That's getting personal and going over the thin line. 

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

In addition to what @17wheatthins wrote, please don't use derogatory terms and/or nicknames when discussing people, e.g., Cheetolini, the orange one, deplorables, etc. That's getting personal and going over the thin line. 

In addition, I would like to add, that having a "host board" is a good idea. Personally, I don't care what Joe and Mika look like or how they dress. But discussion of them on a dedicated board would be good for anyone that wants to because it's not regular board worthy. But that's JMO.

Edited to add. There is the Style or Lack of board so maybe the clothing, makeup, etc could be posted there?

Edited by stormy
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Eliot said:

I'll be honest...it's hard to draw the line. MJ is a show *about* politics, so when you're commenting about how you're feeling about something that was said on the show (or pointing out that something someone said was factually incorrect or utterly reprehensible) it's very difficult to know what is or is not appropriate.

This. I started to get a complex and feel brain dead because it seemed like I was the only one who didn't "get" the concept of no personal politics. I struggled with complimenting and chiming in with what is said on the show (because politics) or snorting at and disagreeing with what is said (because politics). That's why I went shallow and snarky awhile back because it was safe. (Also, I was very intimidated by everyone's knowledge and grasp of facts because there are some very fine minds here). The explanations and examples today have helped more than anything I've seen in 4+ years. THANK YOU, EVERYONE. 

• Love 5

OK, Small Talkers, in the spirit of what this thread is for, I look forward to reading what you might decide to share. Who are the immigrants in your family? Do you have funny or sad or heartwarming stories? I figured I'd start this angle because immigrants have always been an issue in every country. Our Canadian friend oakville has mentioned his Greek heritage and his dad being fished out of the drink during WWII. Every immigrant has a face and a name and a story and they belong to someone. Do you have Native American heritage? I have some Cherokee on my mom's side but she said I lost my share with my first nosebleed, heh heh. Was your family here during the Civil War? My mom's people were. Did your immigrant ancestors serve in the wars of their adopted countries? Which ones? Were they respected while doing it, for doing it? My dad enlisted in the Army Air Corps (before it became the Air Force) the day after Pearl Harbor. I hope this doesn't bore everyone. If so, I will slink away ... 

oakville recently said he saw my username on a hockey sweater in a store. In Finnish, Suomi = Finland. The language most closely related to Finnish is Estonian and Finns and Estonians can understand each other. Hungarian is also related to Finnish but Hungarians and Finns can't understand each other so I don't get how that supposed relation works. (All three are Uralic languages).

In 1918 my Finnish grandpa emigrated to America because he feared being conscripted during the Russian Civil War when both sides were grabbing anyone they could get, Russian or not. (Finland shares a border with Russia). Remember, in Dr Zhivago, when Yuri was snagged by the partisans while he was riding his horse from Yuryatin to Varykino? Like that. It happened every day. Grandpa came through Ellis Island and sent for his wife a year later after he earned the money for her passage. She came through Canada and I suspect she was illegal because the family goes radio silence when I ask about Ellis v Canada. They settled in Michigan's Upper Peninsula where 14 of their 15 kids were born (their first baby died in Finland). Finns are notoriously reticent so they like their space and their forests and the UP, like Finland, was (and still is) sparsely populated and heavily forested. The men worked as loggers and iron ore and copper miners. My dad didn't learn English until he started school when he was 6. He was scared to death because some older boys told him the teachers were mean. So he was very relieved the first day when his teacher greeted him in Finnish with a big smile and a gentle manner. She said "Welcome, little one. Today we will use the language you know but tomorrow you will start learning to be an American and we speak English in the classroom because it will help you in life." True to her word, she never spoke Finnish again and he said learning English was a breeze because she was so kind and patient. 

Storekeepers hired first generation kids because they were bi-lingual and translated for the Finnish, Swedish, Cornish and Italian housewives who shopped in town. (My dad raved about everyone who played the immigrant roles in Godfather II because they were authentically groomed and dressed and looked like the immigrant Italians in his town). Grandpa Jaakko (for Jacob, pronounced Yahko) was an iron ore miner but he wanted better for his sons so during high school my dad got a job in the grocery store and he enjoyed observing the daily parade of characters. Immigrant adults learned some English but usually relied on Finnglish; a few (like Grandpa) spoke English well. There were some sounds they couldn't pronounce, like "sh" and "th." Anyway, long freakin' story short, my dad got a kick out of the elders who were unintentionally funny. A lot of us have trouble with idioms in our own language let alone another language, right? When you thanked them for doing something nice, like holding a door open for you, older Finnish men wanted to say something more than "You're welcome," something like "No biggie" or "Think nothing of it." But what came out was "Oh, sit, dat ain't nuttin'." (Oh, shit, that ain't nothin' ... they evidently had no problem learning naughty words). So my dad heard that every day in the grocery store and around town and he and I always said it to each other: daily life, opening gifts on Christmas morning, always. He was bi-lingual for life and I used to trip the hell out listening to him when he called his parents every Sunday until they died. He's gone now and I really miss the old coot. Say ya to da UP, eh?

• Love 5
9 hours ago, suomi said:

OK, Small Talkers, in the spirit of what this thread is for, I look forward to reading what you might decide to share. Who are the immigrants in your family? Do you have funny or sad or heartwarming stories? I figured I'd start this angle because immigrants have always been an issue in every country. Our Canadian friend oakville has mentioned his Greek heritage and his dad being fished out of the drink during WWII. Every immigrant has a face and a name and a story and they belong to someone. Do you have Native American heritage? I have some Cherokee on my mom's side but she said I lost my share with my first nosebleed, heh heh. Was your family here during the Civil War? My mom's people were. Did your immigrant ancestors serve in the wars of their adopted countries? Which ones? Were they respected while doing it, for doing it? My dad enlisted in the Army Air Corps (before it became the Air Force) the day after Pearl Harbor. I hope this doesn't bore everyone. If so, I will slink away ... 

oakville recently said he saw my username on a hockey sweater in a store. In Finnish, Suomi = Finland. The language most closely related to Finnish is Estonian and Finns and Estonians can understand each other. Hungarian is also related to Finnish but Hungarians and Finns can't understand each other so I don't get how that supposed relation works. (All three are Uralic languages).

In 1918 my Finnish grandpa emigrated to America because he feared being conscripted during the Russian Civil War when both sides were grabbing anyone they could get, Russian or not. (Finland shares a border with Russia). Remember, in Dr Zhivago, when Yuri was snagged by the partisans while he was riding his horse from Yuryatin to Varykino? Like that. It happened every day. Grandpa came through Ellis Island and sent for his wife a year later after he earned the money for her passage. She came through Canada and I suspect she was illegal because the family goes radio silence when I ask about Ellis v Canada. They settled in Michigan's Upper Peninsula where 14 of their 15 kids were born (their first baby died in Finland). Finns are notoriously reticent so they like their space and their forests and the UP, like Finland, was (and still is) sparsely populated and heavily forested. The men worked as loggers and iron ore and copper miners. My dad didn't learn English until he started school when he was 6. He was scared to death because some older boys told him the teachers were mean. So he was very relieved the first day when his teacher greeted him in Finnish with a big smile and a gentle manner. She said "Welcome, little one. Today we will use the language you know but tomorrow you will start learning to be an American and we speak English in the classroom because it will help you in life." True to her word, she never spoke Finnish again and he said learning English was a breeze because she was so kind and patient. 

Storekeepers hired first generation kids because they were bi-lingual and translated for the Finnish, Swedish, Cornish and Italian housewives who shopped in town. (My dad raved about everyone who played the immigrant roles in Godfather II because they were authentically groomed and dressed and looked like the immigrant Italians in his town). Grandpa Jaakko (for Jacob, pronounced Yahko) was an iron ore miner but he wanted better for his sons so during high school my dad got a job in the grocery store and he enjoyed observing the daily parade of characters. Immigrant adults learned some English but usually relied on Finnglish; a few (like Grandpa) spoke English well. There were some sounds they couldn't pronounce, like "sh" and "th." Anyway, long freakin' story short, my dad got a kick out of the elders who were unintentionally funny. A lot of us have trouble with idioms in our own language let alone another language, right? When you thanked them for doing something nice, like holding a door open for you, older Finnish men wanted to say something more than "You're welcome," something like "No biggie" or "Think nothing of it." But what came out was "Oh, sit, dat ain't nuttin'." (Oh, shit, that ain't nothin' ... they evidently had no problem learning naughty words). So my dad heard that every day in the grocery store and around town and he and I always said it to each other: daily life, opening gifts on Christmas morning, always. He was bi-lingual for life and I used to trip the hell out listening to him when he called his parents every Sunday until they died. He's gone now and I really miss the old coot. Say ya to da UP, eh?

Thank you for that story. You were almost Canadian!

• Love 1
16 hours ago, suomi said:

I know a little bit of my dads moms side of the family. Some of my ancestors immigrated to this country from Germany in the early 1700’s. They planned to immigrate to Pennsylvania but the captian of the ship highjacked it and brought them to Germanna Virginia  where they were sold as indentured servants to Governor  Spotswood. They were in the second group of people who  settled in Germanna. They  along with other Germanna settlers eventually sued Govenor Spotswood for their freedom. my 7th great grandfather Majer ( pronounced Moyer)was awarded a land grant in what is now Tennessee for fighting at Valley Forge during the Revolutionary War. My  other 7th great grand father Blackburns family immigrated from Ireland  in the early 1700’s. He and his brother  fought in the Revolutionary War also  but at The Battle of Kings  Mountain.  His brother was killed during the battle, my GGF  and was awarded a land grant in what is now Tennessee. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, suomi said:

OK, Small Talkers, in the spirit of what this thread is for, I look forward to reading what you might decide to share. Who are the immigrants in your family?

Great idea, suomi! I enjoyed reading your history.

I've learned a great deal about my ancestors from doing my own geneology research as well as from taking one of the popular DNA tests. Most of my ancestors are from Ireland. My grandparents emigrated in the 1890s. My grandmother traveled alone at the age of 19 or so. My father said once that his mother would never speak of the journey. I can only imagine what it was like. She worked as a domestic until she was married. I think there are three or four novels in her story. There was quite a bit of anti-Irish sentiment at the time, and so I know their early days in this country must have been terribly difficult.

One of my Irish ancestors came to this country before the Civil War. I was surprised to discover that. He was a member of the Union army. I don't know whether he saw battle.

I have other Irish ancestors who arrived at various times in the late 1890s. Several actually came through Wales, where some Irish went during the hard times.

Perhaps the most surprising part of my family's story is the French-Canadian connection. I knew that one grandfather's family was from Quebec, but I didn't know that his family could trace its roots back to among the first Frenchmen sent to Canada by the king. The first of his line met a quick end, however, because the Iriquois weren't so happy to see the Frenchmen. Among my female ancestors are women known as filles du roi (daughters of the king), who were sent to Canada to marry the Frenchmen and populate the colony. (I always think of this as Seven Brides for Seven Brothers without the singing and dancing.) One of the early French colonists married a First Nation woman and so, yes, I have a tiny bit of Mi'kmaq blood. 

And the flashbacks in Godfather II are among my favorite movie scenes--not only Vito's arrival in the country but also Vito's life as a young man. I think that might be Robert De Niro's best performance ever.

• Love 4

After the way these two gaslighted Diana! Indeed. The irony is rich.

Reportedly, the late Sir James Goldsmith said, “When a man marries his mistress he creates a vacancy.” That won’t happen on Camilla’s watch; she sees off anyone who shows the slightest designs on her husband. Some years ago I was told by a close observer of the goings-on at court that Camilla didn’t like women and was marginalizing them. I don’t think that is true at all. On the contrary, she is hugely supportive of women—and many of the issues and charities she has chosen to put her name to are in support of women. But she is wary of women who toady to her husband, who flatter him and laugh before he has even made a joke. Charles is very susceptible to flattery, and a few such individuals have gone. “He’s a very bad judge of character and it is the siren tongues,” says a person close to Camilla. “If someone’s nice to him he thinks they’re wonderful, while she’s very sharp on people. There’s also a sense of slight unease when it’s women who are prettier and cleverer and talking the same language as him, which she doesn’t do. She can be quite dismissive of them, and she’s quite right.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2018/03/how-camilla-won-over-the-queen-and-became-the-duchess-of-cornwall

Domino's menu pizzas, all sizes, are 50% off through December 2, online orders only, no coupon required. Delivery or takeout. Not custom pizzas, menu only. (Altho you can delete and substitute toppings on the menu pizzas). I snapped up 4 Pacific Veggie tonight and put them in the freezer. ; -)

Edited by suomi
typo

Tomorrow remembering GHW Bush.   I like when the historical minds show up.

It's rather bittersweet that the last of the WWII veterans are about gone.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 1

Joe reached out to Jared, not knowing that Jared talked to Pecker the National Enquirer publisher about dirt on Joe and Mika.

Starting in late 2016, AMI’s priorities shifted from a potential business deal with Kushner to one focused on access to political power. Shortly after the Trump presidency began, Kushner and Pecker talked repeatedly, on subjects ranging from relations with the Saudi regime, to possible dirt that the Enquirer had on Morning Joe’s Mika Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough, according to the four sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive matters.

AMI, like Kushner, cozied up to the despotic Saudi government, which included the production of a glossy propaganda magazine boosting Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. 

Last year, Brzezinski and Scarborough, who had increasingly become Trump critics, made the explosive allegation that three senior aides to President Trump “warned” the couple that the Enquirer would publish a negative story on them unless they “begged” Trump to intervene on their behalf. The couple’s account was disputed by White House officials, who said the conversations were far more cordial than the TV hosts described.

As The Daily Beast reported last year, Kushner was one of the senior officials who privately spoke to Scarborough about the matter. According to two White House officials, Scarborough had “calmly sought” advice from Kushner, who “recommended he speak with the president.” Scarborough did not know that Kushner had also been directly in touch with the Enquirer’s publisher at the time, according to a source familiar with the matter.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-jared-kushner-replaced-michael-cohen-as-trumps-national-enquirer-connection

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, scrb said:

Last year, Brzezinski and Scarborough, who had increasingly become Trump critics, made the explosive allegation that three senior aides to President Trump “warned” the couple that the Enquirer would publish a negative story on them unless they “begged” Trump to intervene on their behalf. The couple’s account was disputed by White House officials, who said the conversations were far more cordial than the TV hosts described.

That's quite the non-denial denial.

• Love 2
On 12/15/2018 at 8:08 PM, scrb said:

Joe reached out to Jared, not knowing that Jared talked to Pecker the National Enquirer publisher about dirt on Joe and Mika.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-jared-kushner-replaced-michael-cohen-as-trumps-national-enquirer-connection

Thanks for posting this article as I missed it somehow.  The WH is trying to say the conversations with the Scarborough's were cordial?  Gee, I guess we can add aother job to Jared's resume:  comedian.  Good skillset to have in prison.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Is Game of Thrones a good show?

I watched one episode years ago. I know people love it, I think it's just if it's your taste.  As Ben on Parks & Rec described "it's real life situations played out in a fantasy world". Yeah but the beheading and incest and having sex in front of people isn't my real life.   I feel the same about Walking Dead.  Enough with the zombies already. I still can't get the image of that poor horse being killed out of my head.  

I recently discovered Angie Tribeca on TBS. LMAO.  It's idiotic, but that's the point. They spoof EVERYTHING, Fargo, Blindspot, L&O, CSI, Erin Brockovich, Silence of the Lambs, ER, Glee. You name it. And the guest stars are a lot of A list actors. 

• Love 1