Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Library

• Start Topic

I'm about halfway through Naomi Novik's Uprooted and it's great. It won the Nebula this year for Outstanding Novel. It's apparently based on Polish fairytales and it's full of magic and adventure and has a cool, spunky heroine.

• Love 1

I thought The Real Story of Hansel and Gretel by Louise Murphy and LaRose by Louise Erdrich were heartbreakingly beautiful but not necessarily best for a vacation read.

Finally saw Deadpool. 

Spoiler

Must confess I didn't catch up with the Lent joke until the movie was done. Then I laughed out loud.

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:44 AM, buffyjunkie said:

Finally saw Deadpool. 

Hide contents

Must confess I didn't catch up with the Lent joke until the movie was done. Then I laughed out loud.

So what did you think buffyjunkie?   It was ok for me, but didn't love it...I'm just not big on the superhero movies in general I guess.

RIP- Garry Marshall.   He was responsible for at least two of my favorite comedies: Laverne and Shirley....The Odd Couple

Meh, it was OK Valny. I just wasn't in the mood. Or maybe it suffered from too much pre-viewing hype.  There was one joke that I actually got after the movie ended and my brain had time to catch up with the words. As for LaVerne & Shirley, I could never understand why people in Milwaukee were talking with what I perceived to be a Jersey accent!

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 11:47 PM, buffyjunkie said:

As for LaVerne & Shirley, I could never understand why people in Milwaukee were talking with what I perceived to be a Jersey accent!

I don't know about the other characters, I know why Laverne had a NY accent, her and dad were originally from NY.

Last night I went to see a ballet Gala with Roberto Bolle. It's something he does every summer in Rome, a few etoiles get together and perform pieces of various ballets.

My friend and I discussed what best to do in case of an attack. What a fun time to be alive.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am glad you got to enjoy a great performance, and very sorry it required a survival discussion. I just spent the day with principals who were drafting various emergency management plans. You need to plan for guns, bombs, knives, gang attacks, fire, and possible demon possession. Fun times indeed.

Edited by Harvester

Happy late birthday Harvester

Saw the Star Trek movie. Some aspects could have been done better or have been fleshed out more, but I thought it was a lot of fun.  

Anyone have interesting plans for the weekend?

Mine will be on the quiet side which I'm looking forward to. Catching up on stuff around the house. I'll be installing some window treatments so hopefully that goes smoothly. Stuff like this usually takes twice as long as I plan for and I'll probably end up with some kind of injury. I'm not the best at these types of things but I manage to get them done. 

Anyone have interesting plans for the weekend?

Nope, unless you consider carpet cleaning interesting. I did take a break to see the recent X-Men movie today. It was a generic special effects-laden superhero action film. Not awful or anything, but nothing stood out about it either.

Question:  What do you say when you are listening to an audio book?  Do you still say, "I am reading Game of Thrones?"  I have a friend who says this constantly, and it tends to rub me the wrong way.  Not because I have an issue with audiobooks, but because -  no, you're not reading.  That's not true.  "I am listening to Game of Thrones"?    That doesn't sound right either.  We might need a new word.  Or maybe there is one and I just don't know it.  Here endeth the Things That Made Me Grumpy This Morning mini-rant.

I hope everyone is enjoying their week and summer. 

Edited by Earl Is Dead
  • Love 1

Most people I know state that it's an audiobook they're listening to. I guess because they say it's an audiobook it sounds ok. If they just said they were listening to whatever the book was, that wouldn't sound right to me. 

Speaking of books, has anyone read the new Harry Potter? When I first heard about it, I didn't want to. I was happy leaving that universe where it left off, but I ended up getting it and reading it. Anyone else?

• Love 1

I haven't bough it yet, but I'll probably read it too eventually.

On the subject, sort of, I'm reading the second book in the Cormoran Strike series wirtten by Rowling under the Galbraith pseudonym.

Endeavour, I finished Act 2 today. I'm enjoying it, but wistfully because I would love to see all the magic effects in the stage production. And to see the reactions of the kids in the audience.

In other news, it's probably just me, but I can't help but picture the hurt expression on Elliot's face when he realizes he wasn't even asked to be in the new version of Pete's Dragon. And to hope Jim Dale was. 

See how I pulled it back to *Harry Potter*?

Meh, it was OK Valny. I just wasn't in the mood. Or maybe it suffered from too much pre-viewing hype. 

May I say that Romania is an awesome country to visit. Some of the architecture is like German Bavaria and Art Nouveau had a love child.  And I ate the best tomato and watermelon I've had in over 30 years.

Bocce-loving people, I need advice. Thought a set would make a good BD gift for the husband. Wood, resin, metal? 90 or 107 size?  Perfetta made in Italy or not?  Does ball color matter?  

I feel like I've been MIA with vacation and now it looks like we need to move my Mom to assisted living so I will be MIA some more.  You should know though that y'all are the only reason I haven't given up that other place. I actually thought about hiding all non-former Twopper peoples' posts and saying I quit the site but then thought they would realize I'm still on it from my likes or replies or whatever. Life seems a little more complex than I like it right now.

And here is my stupid question of the day, can you buy an electronic copy of a photo off of Snapfish?   What app or site do you use if you want to share a massive number of photos with people?

Sorry to hear that, buffyjunkie. I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible. 

On August 12, 2016 at 7:47 PM, Valny said:

It's so humid and gross here on the East Coast.  I'm glad at least I have AC in my room because the rest of the house is like oven.  *sweats*

Gross is accurate. I can't remember it being this humid for this long. Today seems to be a tiny bit better but it's not supposed to last. We really didn't get any comfortable days this year. Went from having the heat on to having the AC on. 

I finished Act 2 today. I'm enjoying it, but wistfully because I would love to see all the magic effects in the stage production. And to see the reactions of the kids in the audience.

I wondered too how things would look on stage. I still picture the original actors as the characters. I would have a difficult time seeing others in those roles. 

Edited by Endeavour

Howdy, everyone, have not been feeling too good (in the middle of an MS flare, worst one yet) and kinda abandoned this place for a bit*, but I want to send housing vibes to buffyjunkie and new job vibes for Harvester. I hope everything goes as well as possible.

*Because this redesign is terrible.. Still looks like texting to me, which: NOPE.

Seriously, fuck MS. Take care.

buffyjunkie, I hope there is a smooth, stress free transition.

I had vacation two weeks ago and don't even remember what it felt like. I am on my second 6day week in a row and it has been crazy at work. I am just exhausted and really need to have my daughter step up and do some cleaning and all I am getting is excuses, I am sorry but coming home after the cluster fuck that is my work day to a complete disaster and hearing the excuse that she didn't have time to pick up because she slept all day is not really making me happy.

Fuck MS!

So, is anyone optimistic about the movie 'Girl on the Train'? It was one of those books that I was 'meh' about until about 3/4s though, where, unlike 'Gone Girl', the twist became pretty cool. 

I have something to confess, since I know this is a safe space *deep breath*: I finally got around to reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and I'm not liking it at all.

This is supposed to be one of the great fantasy novels of the canon, and I'm nearly halfway through and SO LITTLE IS HAPPENING. It's so boring! Am I missing something?

• Love 1

Hey, I need a favour. Would any of the US folk in here be willing to receive and ship on to me a small package? I have found a place that does custom scenic window film so I don't have to look at my neighbour's siding in my living room anymore, but they won't ship to Canada, and a similar product over here costs about 5x more.

if you are willing, could you contact me on Facebook (I don't always get PM notifications in here). Thanks y'all xx

Chyna I didn't think American Gods was very good either. And yes, everyone seems to shower the book with praise, but I found it boring, and not terribly insightful. So, solidarity! ;)

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. The fatigue is really something. Blergh.

I liked Neverwhere too, quite a bit. Since it was originally written for television, I wonder if those constraints forced Gaiman to rein in his meander-y tendencies. Because wow, American Gods meanders so much.

• Love 1