Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: 7

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I know a lot of people bitch about the murder mystery, but for me my interest in those scenes is more about the time jump, and how all these relationships have shaken out in the future. Up till this episode I had assumed Allison and Noah were together, and shared a child, but now it seems just as likely the child is Cole's, and that she and Noah aren't together. I still think she and Cole are done, but yeah I'm interested in what's happening that has led them to be suspects in a murder investigation.

I kind of don't think they're suspects in a murder investigation because if they thought they were suspected of any foul play, they would each have a lawyer there with them at all times as they answer questions for the detective. Cole and Scotty pounded on Oscar pretty good. If Oscar didn't die from the beating, I would imagine he would have to visit the emergency room for a few stitches or broken ribs. Oscar has to die eventually, because viewers want his blood at any cost even if it's at the cost of Scotty's life. Mare Winningham showed a side that we haven't seen before. Instead of being the respected but demur monarch of the Lockhart clan, I saw her controlling and chillingly cold side.

Edited by HumblePi

If I understood the timeline in the episode correctly,

• Alison, and her friend/coworker who conveniently lives in Brooklyn but works in Montauk during the summer, stop by Helen's store

... who can also afford her own place in a brownstone in Brooklyn. I'm sorry--as a NY native, it always makes me roll my eyes when shows do this. I know TV isn't supposed to be realistic but come on. Rent stabilization? Maybe. But mention it in passing, at least!

As for Noah, it wouldn't have bothered me at all if he'd had a heart attack instead of a panic attack (shades of The War of the Roses and Tony Soprano).  His confession to Helen was decent - in a way - but he's still lying to her when it comes to his emotions. I want to think that he really loves Alison, but he has treated her like shit.  Come to think of it, he loves Helen, but he's treated her like shit, too.  Not liking Noah at the moment.

Noah's been shitty lately but confessing to Helen is one of his better decisions, neutralising Oscar has saved him lots of anguish and money. Like you, I believe he's got feelings for Alison but I don't think he's dishonest about it, he's just not aware how deep it goes. He'll find out when Alison moves to Brooklyn and they suddenly can't stay away from each other. Right now he's being driven by wishful thinking, trying to keep his family intact after almost sacrificing it in the first place. I think we'll get this problem with Noah throughout the whole series, on one hand he'll want to keep his family and be a "good person" while on the other he will have this woman that he can't stay away from. So, when he's treating Alison like shit, it's just one side of him reacting to the presence of the other.

I suppose one reason why I'm so firmly in the Allison camp is that Ruth Wilson is a really good actress.  Much better than anyone else on that show.  She is really selling me on her character's version of reality.

I've seen Ruth Wilson in "Luthor", playing a character who, erm, seems to relish being alive. Her demeanour here is totally the opposite. Alison has this cloud hanging over her and Ruth is totally selling this totally miserable/unhappy character. I'm going to agree with you, she's much better than anyone else on this show. For now.

• Love 2

I think there is a lot of good acting in this show, but Ruth Wilson is just mesmerizing as Alison - she conveys quiet pain better than anyone I've ever seen.

A couple of smaller points:

In Noah's version, we see Noah and Helen after the hospital as they get home and Helen is NOT wearing the apron she wears at her store.  In Alison's version, Helen IS wearing it when the group hug and pulling the drapes happens.

And who is Leon?  After his confession to Helen and while they are arguing, he brings up "Leon" and Helen says that nothing happened.  Has she already had an affair?  

Oh well thank Goddess!  I thought this episode was the season finale' and I was going to be ticked at them leaving it that way.

So we're suppose to believe Noah is this good guy and good dad, but that's not what we're seeing in Allison's version. 

• Love 2

I'm not trying to be argumentative but when did we learn that Cole is fact thick?

Oh, my feelings about Cole's intelligence -- or more accurately lack thereof -- have nothing to do with any degrees (I can just see Ma Lockhart sneering, Book learning!).

My feelings about Cole's intelligence have to do with the fact that when it couldn't be any more obvious that his wife is deeply depressed, his response is to (a) fuck her doggy-style in semi-public, (b) Say, Hey babe, wanna watch me SURF? and © force her to eat dinner after dinner with Ma Lockhart and the Neanderthal bros-in-law.

Maybe it's just me, but I call that emotional stupidity.

• Love 1

Some of your comments here, forum peeps, makes me re-think the whole Ruth Wilson role.  Because I really haven't liked it at all, but admit I have not seen her in anything else. For me the compelling characters in this series have consistently been Helen and Cole.  That counting story by Cole brought tears last night.  Who wouldn't love him?  Who wouldn't love Helen.  Not only is she funny and likable, frisky, sexy, and grounded, she is just so incredibly decent.  The way she raised her arms in the air to ward off Noah when he professed how much he loved her, that's exactly what someone does when they have been deeply hurt by a partner.  You long for the words, 'I love you so much', at the same time every protective instinct in your entire persona is screaming 'stay away from me, you traitor.  You beast.' If the intent in this show was to sell The Affair as plausible, they met a low standard for that sale as far as I am concerned, but failed big time in selling it lasting as long as it did.  I wouldn't want to spend 8 evenings, let alone 8 weeks with either Noah or Alison.  A couple of self centered, self absorbed jerks.  And yes, Alison has her own sad 'reason'.......but it still didn't ring true to me that Noah offered her solace from her grief and anguish.  After that scene on the sidewalk in Brooklyn (and as a former New Yorker, no.......a waitress in Montauk doesn't have that apartment, and even nasty Bruce would have a hard time ponying up for that amazing brownstone, but anyway....) I think Alison should have been turning to Cole, not tired old Noah.

• Love 4
If the intent in this show was to sell The Affair as plausible, they met a low standard for that sale as far as I am concerned, but failed big time in selling it lasting as long as it did.  I wouldn't want to spend 8 evenings, let alone 8 weeks with either Noah or Alison.  A couple of self centered, self absorbed jerks.  And yes, Alison has her own sad 'reason'.......but it still didn't ring true to me that Noah offered her solace from her grief and anguish.

I agree with you.  I never saw any epic star-crossed love story in the affair.  I don't believe they love each other at all.  Not in the slightest.  Allison was a diversion for Noah who sees himself as poor, unappreciated, and down-trodden by his family and in-laws.   Noah was a diversion for Allison who sees herself stuck and miserable with her life, which won't get a single bit better until she forgives herself for the loss of her son.  Escape fantasies for both, not at all grounded in reality or in knowing each other.

• Love 5

Oh, my feelings about Cole's intelligence -- or more accurately lack thereof -- have nothing to do with any degrees (I can just see Ma Lockhart sneering, Book learning!).

My feelings about Cole's intelligence have to do with the fact that when it couldn't be any more obvious that his wife is deeply depressed, his response is to (a) fuck her doggy-style in semi-public, (b) Say, Hey babe, wanna watch me SURF? and © force her to eat dinner after dinner with Ma Lockhart and the Neanderthal bros-in-law.

Maybe it's just me, but I call that emotional stupidity.

First of all:  Alison asked him to do it outside on the porch,

second getting out of the house and being with people especially on the anniversary on the loss of a loved one, can (not always but can) sometimes help you get through the day, working as distraction.

I have nothing to say about the surfing comment but I do have to address the emotional stupidity. Isn't Alison guilty of that too? If Cole as, some commentator have speculated was the strong one when dealing with the loss of Gabriel to help Alison cope with her grief he may not have been able to express his. Why is why Alison's probably so angry at Cole. He isn't feeling to the same depths as her. Which...it's completely understandable that she would be so submerged in her grief, but in that scene on the sidewalk, I got the feeling this was the first she'd heard him express grief in a way she understood it. The rage of the sea is something she can understand.

If Cole is emotionally stupid then so is Alison....I get the feeling she needed therapy on her own to help articulate these feeling because I don't think she has been able to

Edited by Cirien
  • Love 6

Max:  Don't get all sensitive and tell Helen about your affair just to make yourself feel better.  Noah same day to Helen:  I had an affair!  I can't keep it from you!

So is Noah (A) being a selfish jerk and unloading his guilt on Helen?  (B) coming clean in the hope of making amends and repairing the marriage?  © subconsciously preparing Helen and himself for the fact that he won't be able to stay away from Alison and their marriage will end?

None of the above. The main reason he does it is to remove the blackmail from his plate.

• Love 10

If the producer/showrunner/whatever says that the store visit happened prior to the hospital reveal then I think we have to go with that timeline. It makes more sense to me as well since Noah's running was late in the day and they came home straight from the hospital at dusk/early evening at least.

While first watching the store scene, I thought it was taking place after Noah confessed, simply by the way Helen was acting. But then I remembered we were watching Alison's version, and remembered that Noah hadn't had his panic attack yet. The timeline became very clear to me then.  Helen might have suspected there was something going on between Noah and Alison, which might have accounted for the way she acted toward Alison in the store, but Noah didn't confess until later. Her not mentioning Alison's visit to the store was interesting, though.  Also, those glasses on Helen... have we seen her wear them before? That was kind of distracting.  

Edited by Bcharmer
  • Love 1

I think there is a lot of good acting in this show, but Ruth Wilson is just mesmerizing as Alison - she conveys quiet pain better than anyone I've ever seen.

A couple of smaller points:

In Noah's version, we see Noah and Helen after the hospital as they get home and Helen is NOT wearing the apron she wears at her store.  In Alison's version, Helen IS wearing it when the group hug and pulling the drapes happens.

And who is Leon?  After his confession to Helen and while they are arguing, he brings up "Leon" and Helen says that nothing happened.  Has she already had an affair?  

About Leon, I don't think so......like that seems more like Noah's suspicions than what actually happened, and an attempt to justify the affair in his mind

My first post ever!! I love reading everyone's take on this series. Has anyone ever thought that Noah or Alison are both lying since they are being questioned and therefore on the defense?

Noah's version: "Well, Alison was the one who came on to me, and when I found out the Lockharts were dealing with drugs, I cut our ties! And yes, that Oscar dude was blackmailing me but I came clean and told Helen. And yes, I have never been to The End."

Alison's version: "Yes, I fell for Noah, I was in a dark place, I can't help it. Yes, we were dealing with drugs. Oscar owed us money. And he knew about the affair. I went to see Noah in Brooklyn, he doesn't want to see me. I saw his wife in her store and she doesn't know. But Cole forgave me and wanted us to start over and have a child."

I think each of them's hiding an important detail. I just can't pinpoint what it is, maybe it has to do with The End. And somehow, Noah's version appears to be the more defensive, guilty-filled version to me.

• Love 1
Noah's version: "Well, Alison was the one who came on to me, and when I found out the Lockharts were dealing with drugs, I cut our ties! And yes, that Oscar dude was blackmailing me but I came clean and told Helen. And yes, I have never been to The End."

Does the detective know about the drugs?  I thought the scenes we saw related to the drugs were all after the detective finished questioning them, so it wasn't something they were telling him. 

Because if he knew about the drugs, I'd expect he'd focus on WHO they were buying and selling to in order to find Scotty's killer.  Or would at least spend some time trying to find that out since drug deals gone bad would be a likely reason why a drug dealer ended up dead.

Though if the family stopped dealing drugs and sold the ranch, then maybe that's no longer in play.  Still, I'd expect some focus on that from the detective rather than his focus on The End, and an unrelated marital affair.

Edited by izabella

Does the detective know about the drugs?  I thought the scenes we saw related to the drugs were all after the detective finished questioning them, so it wasn't something they were telling him. 

I'm not really sure! In the earlier episodes where they were still talking to the detective, weren't there scenes where Noah saw Alison bike to the dock? So this last episode, was the detective finished with the questioning? I'm hoping for a big AHA when this all comes together!

• Love 1

Regarding the time line of whether Helen knew, that's one of those purposeful differences for us to keep wondering about. We don't know that Helen WAS icy toward Allison. This is Allison's distorted memory so it was awkward in Allison's mind even if it wasn't awkward for Helen, Allison is projecting that it was. Just like Allison sees the happy family hugging when, meanwhile, I would think Noah's version of Helen not gettimg in on the family hug would be more accurate.

• Love 1

Regarding the time line of whether Helen knew, that's one of those purposeful differences for us to keep wondering about. We don't know that Helen WAS icy toward Allison. This is Allison's distorted memory...

I get you, and I've mused about such things myself (maybe in this show we can't trust anything we see! OMG!), but Sarah Treem's confirmation of a correct timeline compels us to put those cosmic notions aside. The mere fact that she is saying there is a timeline is tantamount to her saying, yes, these things happened. If we are meant to believe that everything Noah and Alison are remembering is up for grabs, there can be no timeline, because then nothing in either of their accounts necessarily happened, and if none of the events happened, there's no point in considering in what order they happened. But Sarah Treem says there is a timeline. So Sarah Treem is saying not only "yes, these events happened in this order," but more important and more to the point, "these events happened."

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1
Guest Accused Dingo
I agree with you.  I never saw any epic star-crossed love story in the affair.

But that's why I think the show is called "The Affair" and not "A Love Story"  What we are watching is two people having an affair with all the trappings that come with it.   Noah and Allison aren't in love.  I am not even sure they particularly like each other.  Which is why I think I am going to enjoy the shit hitting the fan now that the jig is up and both their significant others know about the affair.  

• Love 3

Re: Helen's subdued reaction to finding out about the affair. She has been pushing for them to go therapy. She must have on some level known from watching her father and mother that Noah was cheating on her. It wasn't a surprise to her. Not because she's been having one herself, Even when Noah tried to suggest that she'd been having an affair.

I definitely think Helen had suspicions for a while, and they probably grew a lot bigger after seeing Alison at her store.

But I don't think Noah was accusing her of having an affair. He brought up the Leon thing as an example of how everyone - including her - has things they don't tell their spouse. There had to be some attraction, at least, between Helen and Leon, but I think Noah believes that she didn't act on it.

And I can't say I'm convinced that she isn't sleeping with Max. (And if she hasn't yet at the time of Noah's confession, I think a Max/Helen affair might come later.)

I suspect that Whitney, despite being a selfish brat, picks up on a lot. And I don't see the writers making Max and Helen seem so attracted to each other if they aren't going anywhere with it.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 1

After a rewatch I did notice something. When Alison is storming out of Helen's shop, one of her employees calls out to Helen that Noah is on the phone. I think that's when she got the call about the anxiety attack. 

If Cole as, some commentator have speculated was the strong one when dealing with the loss of Gabriel to help Alison cope with her grief he may not have been able to express his. Why is why Alison's probably so angry at Cole. He isn't feeling to the same depths as her. Which...it's completely understandable that she would be so submerged in her grief, but in that scene on the sidewalk, I got the feeling this was the first she'd heard him express grief in a way she understood it. The rage of the sea is something she can understand.

I read that scene slightly differently. We have seen how in despair Alison is but there is no way to assume she didn't know that Cole was experiencing the same thing. I think she knew exactly how he felt and has always known but what else can be done about it? She's probably heard him many times at night struggling with breathing, just like he's aware of her self cutting issues. I think they are both enveloped by a suffocating grief, as Cole eloquently put it. The problem is she can't really comfort him (just as much as he can't help her) except just to sit there and listen and hug and have sex. The only problem I can see is that she's growing apart from him but he can't see it or he knows it and using the grief as enough explanation for all.

If the intent in this show was to sell The Affair as plausible, they met a low standard for that sale as far as I am concerned, but failed big time in selling it lasting as long as it did.  I wouldn't want to spend 8 evenings, let alone 8 weeks with either Noah or Alison.  A couple of self centered, self absorbed jerks.  

Are they self absorbed jerks? Yes they are. I was worried at the beginning of the series that they would underplay the self-centredness of an affair, that they would hype the romance of it in order to accumulate accolades about "chemistry" between the two leads. I'm glad they haven't done either. For me, Alison's callousness (if you want to call it that) was when she was insisting that Noah call his wife to come up with a better excuse so that she'll get more sexy time. But that's exactly what having an affair entails, being selfish. What I also hoped from Sarah Treem & Co., which they have delivered, is to give us tangible reasons for the selfishness. It might not be enough, since they are both married, but it is an explanation nonetheless.

More drama, of course, will come from the fact that this affair isn't over (my speculation). They've been outed, without enough consequences imo, and therefore shit will really hit the fan when both spouses discover that the affair later continued.

Edited by Boundary

I get you, and I've mused about such things myself (maybe in this show we can't trust anything we see! OMG!), but Sarah Treem's confirmation of a correct timeline compels us to put those cosmic notions aside. The mere fact that she is saying there is a timeline is tantamount to her saying, yes, these things happened. If we are meant to believe that everything Noah and Alison are remembering is up for grabs, there can be no timeline, because then nothing in either of their accounts necessarily happened, and if none of the events happened, there's no point in considering in what order they happened. But Sarah Treem says there is a timeline. So Sarah Treem is saying not only "yes, these events happened in this order," but more important and more to the point, "these events happened."

See I don't know that we're doubting that these events happened. Just the way they remembered them. Like obviously there's a timeline and obviously their stories intersect but is Helen really the way we see her through Alison and Noah's eyes. Is Cole? No. Maybe not.

• Love 1

My first post ever!! I love reading everyone's take on this series. Has anyone ever thought that Noah or Alison are both lying since they are being questioned and therefore on the defense?

At this point, each side is so "on the nose" [ridiculously unsubtle attempts to show each in a good light] that I really do hope this is the case, and that they are both lying A LOT. Even the dialogue has become cartoonish on both sides (I started to laugh when Noah was approached by Oscar about the affair and the money...it was so stupid. "I don't know what you're talking about! Oh wait, $10K? Yeah ok.")

I liked it so much at the start but I'm getting bored now. I could buy the lack of chemistry between these two clowns at first, because I thought it had deeper meaning. Now I wonder if the show itself is just not that good. (I'd watch the Helen and Cole show, though)

(And a 2nd season? What could possibly happen in a second season? This might have worked better as a one-and-done.)

"Sociopathic" kids? Martin has freed a captive horse and shown great initiative in researching a means of pulling an idiotic, macabre trick on his father, whose profession he considers worthy of public scorn. Whitney, her mother's and/or grandparents' (some traits skip a generation) snobbish, disrespectful adolescent (redundant?), is a fairly normal mean girl in her private school. Trevor's inability to write a thesis statement and his younger sister's carelessness in chewing her food are no reason to call in the shrinks.

The older kids are assholes. The younger ones seem ok, so far. I don't know if teens today think that faking a suicide attempt is funny, but if pulling that shit and cyber-bullying a classmate to the point of almost suicide is normal, then I weep for the future.  Whitney still needs to work on un-assholing herself.

• Love 7

Max:  Don't get all sensitive and tell Helen about your affair just to make yourself feel better.  Noah same day to Helen:  I had an affair!  I can't keep it from you!

So is Noah (A) being a selfish jerk and unloading his guilt on Helen?  (B) coming clean in the hope of making amends and repairing the marriage?  © subconsciously preparing Helen and himself for the fact that he won't be able to stay away from Alison and their marriage will end?

None of the above. The main reason he does it is to remove the blackmail from his plate.

I agree.  If Noah paid Oscar the $10,000, I think Oscar would keep asking for more.  Noah would never get out from under it.

• Love 1

I agree.  If Noah paid Oscar the $10,000, I think Oscar would keep asking for more.  Noah would never get out from under it.

I think this is part of it.  Noah knew that Oscar would keep asking for more.  I also think Noah didn't like someone "like Oscar" having that much power over him.  Thirdly, I think that the panic attack kinda shocked Noah and pushed him to just stop hiding it and lay it all out in front of Helen.  

I'd be okay if the murder investigation rolls on into next season and next season we hear Cole and Helen's side of things. Clearly Helen has a lot going on. Cole is a cowboy-drug dealer-clearly he has a lot going on!  I think you can look at "the affair" as a catalyst to go deep into both of these families, and that the show is basically a family drama.

I am a huge Joshua Jackson fan-I just can't find Noah attractive at all. I don't know if my fannishness is getting in the way, or if JJ just has the ability to Dawson-ize every other guy he works with, but I am really not feeling Noah's appeal for Allison, other than he's just not Cole, and he didn't know her tragic story, and he might be a ticket out of this town. So the affair did not work for me, but the family stories do.

Also in one of the past episodes...Allison says "they" went back to the city after the wedding, I think most of us assumed she meant with her husband or a man...but it really doesn't have have to mean her and her husband. She could mean she went back with her kid. Or her waitress friend with the fab place in Brooklyn. It's all so open ended still!

• Love 3

Regarding the time line of whether Helen knew, that's one of those purposeful differences for us to keep wondering about. We don't know that Helen WAS icy toward Allison. This is Allison's distorted memory so it was awkward in Allison's mind even if it wasn't awkward for Helen, Allison is projecting that it was. Just like Allison sees the happy family hugging when, meanwhile, I would think Noah's version of Helen not gettimg in on the family hug would be more accurate.

Martin decided not to participate in the warm/fuzzy hug either. He chose sides at that point and it was Helen's side against Noah for reasons of his own. I can understand Helen's reason for not joining the hug, but what could Martin's reason be? (sorry I said Noah)

I see Athena as more than what she appears to be, a comic (or cosmic) relief. She appears flighty and a bit air-headed with her belief in Reiki and 'life's energy' pseudoscience. I think her passion in practicing Reiki for 'balanced essence' and 'tranquil healing' have us intentionally discarding Athena as a weirdo. Plus the fact that she left her daughter alone with grandparents to raise while she traipsed around the world seemingly uncaring of the fact that she did leave Alison behind, albeit in good hands.  I can't help but think there's much more history between Athena and Cherry. Cherry is a manipulator, and despite her meek looking appearance, I think she's calculating and shrewd. She gives Alison her wedding ring while Athena is there for lunch for a reason- to make Athena feel even more ostracized and to pull Alison even further under her control. Athena told Alison in the car while they were driving together that Alison has forgotten so much about her past. This leaves me wondering what those things in Alison's past are.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 1

if...cybser-bullying a classmate to the point of almost suicide is normal, then I weep for the future.

It's a long way from bad/obnoxious/abnormal/mean/... to "sociopathic." (There was a diner scene on "Seinfeld" where George tells the gang about boys' physical bullying, e.g., atomic wedgies, and asks Elaine what teenage girls do. She says that a victim is teased until she develops an eating disorder.)

Whether or not a viewer likes or is physically attracted to either member of a fictional romantic couple, or is turned on by their sexual activities, is entirely irrelevant to the plausibility and significance of their relationship. (This holds as well for real people.) If only the honorable, charming, and handsome were allowed to mate, the race would have died out long ago.

From almost the instant they met, Alison and Noah recognized something in each other that each believed was missing in their marriages. (Based on Noah's "her face" and Alison's "holding his daughter" as first things noticed, and their subsequent memories of that restaurant encounter, if I had to reduce it to a one word answer, it would be "warmth".) I am in no position to render judgment on their emotions, but I believe the writers and actors are trying to tell me that Alison and Noah are in love, still. (And no, like Noah in the latest preview, I have no idea what "love" really means.) Alison has run to Brooklyn, and is silent when her friend accuses her of being "in love with a married man". It's not the failure of Noah's "legendary" member that gives him away, it's, as with Alison in her conjugal bed, lying wide-eyed next to a sleeping spouse. Also, I was as surprised as Helen was devastated at the idea of "eight weeks". The compressed time passage in the show had misled me as to the amount of time they must have spent together.

At the time of the interrogation, it is absolutely certain that Noah and Helen are separated (because of Alison/Max/Leon?), and that Alison is with someone (but it can't be Noah) in NYC and has a child (biological/adopted/step?). But these arrangements could change subsequent to the solving of Scotty's murder.

Edited by Higgs
  • Love 1

What I couldn't understand (and seemed contrived) was how, if the store situation really went down (and presumably it did, because Jane was there too), how would Helen not immediately blurt out to Noah when he confirmed the affair was with Alison "So that's why she was in my store today! Did you bring her here so you could keep the affair going?" or some such? It really sort of defies all logic that she wouldn't bring that up.

But more importantly, thank God they finally gave Joshua Jackson something to work with. He was incredible. Whose heart wouldn't break at his story about Gabriel and his tears! The tears and the scruff! As someone said up thread, I finally saw the strong silent side they've been trying to say he had all season. I wish they'd made him play it a bit gruffer previously so this was even more of a revelation. But yes, he's such a fucking man, indeed. Very alpha hero (aside from the drug dealing bits) even down to the chivalry of "Don't sit there, you'll get your dress dirty" and laying down the newspaper in the middle of his shock and grief. Damn. Who cheats on that for Martin's Dad?! (Even Cole couldn't believe it when he heard the name.)...

...The mystery stuff is getting harder to integrate but I'm still intrigued to see where it goes. And the hints at various potential red herrings -- Do they make a baby--and is that her future kid? Do they sell the ranch and relocate to the city despite Cole's discomfort? It's hard to imagine he wouldn't want to be a full-time dad. Is Scotty's little brunette Whitney? Why didn't the detective ask if there was a reservation under Bailey? etc. I like having all those little quandaries as part of the story too.

Excellent post. Have we confirmed that Alison showed up in Helen's store prior to Noah's panic attack? If so, I still don't get why Helen didn't mention it to Noah in any of their subsequent discussions. That would certainly trouble me: my husband is admitting to an affair and claiming that it is over but his lover suddenly shows up in my store. Seems like the other shoe has to drop on this one...

Joshua Jackson was amazing. So happy to have him in this role; its a great showcase for his talents. He has been a favorite of mine way back to his role in "The Mighty Ducks" movies. (My son is a hockey fan and I've seen those movies a hundred times.)

As far as how this goes forward...the Lockharts sell the ranch; Cole and Alison move to the city and have another child; the marriage doesn't last. Future Alison is divorced and still living in the city (I will probably change my mind about this after the next episode.)

The detective's activities confuse me. I, too, was wondering why he didn't ask about a reservation in the name of Bailey. And, of course, he didn't mention "when" the reservation might have been. Would a small, local hotel maintain a database of customers going back a number of years? Maybe but neither Noah and Alison would have paid for their night's stay with a credit card (as we saw in their visit to Block Island).

Has a 3rd party or a narrator's perspective been added to the "telling" of this story? In Noah's story, we see the detective reading Noah's 2nd (?) book in a restaurant. In Alison's story, we see the detective snooping around at The End and taking photos. Or are Noah and Alison imagining what the detective must have done and, therefore, why his investigation doesn't appear to be very thorough?

Because if he knew about the drugs, I'd expect he'd focus on WHO they were buying and selling to in order to find Scotty's killer.  Or would at least spend some time trying to find that out since drug deals gone bad would be a likely reason why a drug dealer ended up dead.

Though if the family stopped dealing drugs and sold the ranch, then maybe that's no longer in play.  Still, I'd expect some focus on that from the detective rather than his focus on The End, and an unrelated marital affair.

The drug-dealing has to still be in play, especially since a murder is involved. I have to think that the detective is a few steps ahead of Noah and Alison...and ahead of what we have seen so far in the story. If it is all perception and memory, then Noah or Alison may believe that they have outsmarted the detective. I think that it is safe to assume that the detective was investigating them for reasons other than an affair.

Edited by Ellaria Sand

I wanted to say the detective could be a third POV but that wouldn't explain Alison's very short phone call the other day. He is seen reading Noah's book "The Descent" and then taking photos of what I presume is the crash site. Maybe Noah's descriptions in the book give something away.

Whether or not a viewer likes or is physically attracted to either member of a fictional romantic couple, or is turned on by their sexual activities, is entirely irrelevant to the plausibility and significance of their relationship. 

I really wanted to say this but couldn't find the right words. It doesn't matter if Joshua is hotter than Dominic, or that Ruth's lips should distract every viewer on the planet; what matters is that Alison finds Noah attractive, and vice versa. They're in love simply because the writers say they are, if they say they are. As an entertainment medium, however, it's important that their story engages the emotions of the viewer and that the characters remain interesting - no one benefits if we all switch off.

• Love 4

It's a long way from bad/obnoxious/abnormal/mean/... to "sociopathic." (There was a diner scene on "Seinfeld" where George tells the gang about boys' physical bullying, e.g., atomic wedgies, and asks Elaine what teenage girls do. She says that a victim is teased until she develops an eating disorder.)

Whether or not a viewer likes or is physically attracted to either member of a fictional romantic couple, or is turned on by their sexual activities, is entirely irrelevant to the plausibility and significance of their relationship. (This holds as well for real people.) If only the honorable, charming, and handsome were allowed to mate, the race would have died out long ago.

From almost the instant they met, Alison and Noah recognized something in each other that each believed was missing in their marriages. (Based on Noah's "her face" and Alison's "holding his daughter" as first things noticed, and their subsequent memories of that restaurant encounter, if I had to reduce it to a one word answer, it would be "warmth".) I am in no position to render judgment on their emotions, but I believe the writers and actors are trying to tell me that Alison and Noah are in love, still. (And no, like Noah in the latest preview, I have no idea what "love" really means.) Alison has run to Brooklyn, and is silent when her friend accuses her of being "in love with a married man". It's not the failure of Noah's "legendary" member that gives him away, it's, as with Alison in her conjugal bed, lying wide-eyed next to a sleeping spouse. Also, I was as surprised as Helen was devastated at the idea of "eight weeks". The compressed time passage in the show had misled me as to the amount of time they must have spent together.

At the time of the interrogation, it is absolutely certain that Noah and Helen are separated (because of Alison/Max/Leon?), and that Alison is with someone (but it can't be Noah) in NYC and has a child (biological/adopted/step?). But these arrangements could change subsequent to the solving of Scotty's murder.

This is all so true. And I am finding myself shocked that I'm in the minority in finding Noah (Dominic West) HOT. I would run off with him in a hot minute! And I can definitely see the attraction of Alison to Noah, likewise in Noah to Alison. I just fully understand this affair. What is missing in both of their lives and marriages is so clearly what attracted them to one another. It is fully plausible to me. I do think there are real deep feelings there on both sides.

I really didn't understand though how Helen would not have mentioned seeing Alison in her store though. That would immediately raise suspicions to Helen that the affair was ongoing so HOW did she let that slip past and not grill Noah?? It's a pretty big deal to see the Montauk waitess in Brooklyn in THAT store, I mean come on!

And I don't care how well lit a street is. People inside in a bright room would not be able to look out and zero in on one face, across the street no less. Furthermore, if somehow Noah did notice Alison, wouldn't he be totally freaked out that she was stalking him?!  I just couldn't find that believable that he could see her out there. But I second the poster here that said Alison imagined that he could because of her guilt in being outside. I hope that's what it was meant to portray.

• Love 1

I really didn't understand though how Helen would not have mentioned seeing Alison in her store though. That would immediately raise suspicions to Helen that the affair was ongoing so HOW did she let that slip past and not grill Noah?? It's a pretty big deal to see the Montauk waitress in Brooklyn in THAT store, I mean come on!

Helen knew that Noah didn't want to be in Montauk, then really, really, wanted to stay and then suddenly couldn't wait to get out of dodge. Next thing, she sees the waitress in her shop, shortly after that Noah confesses. From his actions, she could conclude that Noah ran from Montauk as fast as he could, seemingly being chased down by his mistress. That means it either ended badly or it's not really over yet. Both of those situations call for her not to tell Noah that Alison is in Brooklyn. I think she exercised self control, partly to salvage her marriage and partly not to give Alison the satisfaction. That's my take.

• Love 5

I believe that they *think* they're in love. but as any therapist/psychologist will tell you: The infatuation stage of being "in love" can last up to two years in real time. And if Alison and Noah believe that they recognised something in each other at their first meeting, then their recollection would reflect that. The writers and producers cant have it both ways : They can't have a series where truth and memory are malleable but also Noah and Alison are soul mates and we should take them at their word when they say this affair is *it* for them.  This isn't about people wanting the characters wanting to be honourable and "Good". It's about the writers about to have theb their cake and eat too

• Love 2

I wanted to say the detective could be a third POV but that wouldn't explain Alison's very short phone call the other day. He is seen reading Noah's book "The Descent" and then taking photos of what I presume is the crash site. Maybe Noah's descriptions in the book give something away.

Can you refresh my memory about Alison's phone call? I don't remember it.

Noah's new book has to play a role in all of this somehow. Does he provide clues unknowingly? Probably. Not a surprise that the detective would read the book; it was surprising that we would see him reading it. However, I attribute that to Noah's perceptions. Yet, it is in Alison's story that we see him go to The End and ask for the name "Soloway." If not a third party POV, how would Alison know that happened? Assumption? Or would the receptionist at The End have told her?

And I don't care how well lit a street is. People inside in a bright room would not be able to look out and zero in on one face, across the street no less. Furthermore, if somehow Noah did notice Alison, wouldn't he be totally freaked out that she was stalking him?!  I just couldn't find that believable that he could see her out there. But I second the poster here that said Alison imagined that he could because of her guilt in being outside. I hope that's what it was meant to portray.

I think that Alison believes that Noah saw her but there is no way to know if he actually did. It's only her perception.

Noah's new book has to play a role in all of this somehow. Does he provide clues unknowingly? Probably. Not a surprise that the detective would read the book; it was surprising that we would see him reading it.

Oh, I wonder if the detective was surprised that Noah had never booked a room at The End because Noah writes about it in his book. He likely would use his own experiences, including their night at The End, to flesh out his book.  So if Noah described the place vividly, yet never stayed there, the detective would be stumped.  Except he should consider he used a fake name or Alison booked the room.

Can you refresh my memory about Alison's phone call? I don't remember it.

A few episodes back, the detective gives Alison a cigarette break, she took the time to make a very short, tense phone call to someone about "being interrogated at the station". She immediately hangs up when the detective follows her outside and she ends up not getting much of a break anyway. 

Yet, it is in Alison's story that we see him go to The End and ask for the name "Soloway." If not a third party POV, how would Alison know that happened?

I like to think of the flash forwards as real time, they aren't memories affected by the usual fallacies. I don't know why those scenes would appear under Alison's version, perhaps it was a convenient break in the narrative to place them there. Was the receptionist bought off by Noah?

• Love 1

Alison's version: "Yes, I fell for Noah, I was in a dark place, I can't help it. Yes, we were dealing with drugs. Oscar owed us money. And he knew about the affair. I went to see Noah in Brooklyn, he doesn't want to see me. I saw his wife in her store and she doesn't know. But Cole forgave me and wanted us to start over and have a child."

I think each of them's hiding an important detail. I just can't pinpoint what it is, maybe it has to do with The End. And somehow, Noah's version appears to be the more defensive, guilty-filled version to me.

Yes I've considered this.  I think maybe they have gotten together to hammer out a story but as usual the devil is in the details and that's where it's falling apart.  Very good thoughts.

I don't think Allison and Noah were in love, and I don't think the story tried to....or needed to...make it seem as if they were.  It was an ordinary, run-of-the-mill, life changing only for the parties involved.  Very few affairs result in epic love stories, Brangelina aside.   He was feeling shitty, she was feeling nothing, and they turned to each other b/c they recognized the dark in each other and wanted to try to find some light.  It's stupid and ill-conceived, but affairs generally are....

• Love 5

As an entertainment medium, however, it's important that their story engages the emotions of the viewer and that the characters remain interesting - no one benefits if we all switch off.

I would add the need to engage the intellect, as well, but with regard to the purely emotional connection, it can as easily be gained here from the pain of the betrayed spouses, or even the confusion and fear of parental breakup on the part of the older children. (Granted the latter might require a child psychologist with a much more empathetic response system than I possess. But we know about Whitney's suspicions, which she might have shared with Martin.)

I believe that they *think* they're in love. but as any therapist/psychologist will tell you: The infatuation stage of being "in love" can last up to two years in real time. And if Alison and Noah believe that they recognised something in each other at their first meeting, then their recollection would reflect that.

Cogito..."in love", ergo sum..."in love", by definition, especially as there is no recourse to anyone living with the slightest idea of what "love" actually means. Alison and Noah are not "soul-mates", a term which also eludes my understanding, else I suppose Alison would know, or at least care, a whole lot more about the wonder of Fresnel lenses and/or perhaps be writing a short story or two in her spare time. Their recollections (as directly and copiously displayed in the pilot) of words, voices, smiles, eye contacts, and hand touches testify to the "warmth" (or, if I'm allowed two words, "emotional comfort") that each felt they sorely lacked. (The key word here is "felt", objective justification be damned.)

At the time of the interrogation, Alison is wearing a wedding ring. She is married. Because the detective attempts to psychologically manipulate her with a story of his own long-term marriage, the opposite of what he told Noah, it's likely Cole is still her husband. (The series need not end that way.)

Edited by Higgs

This is all so true. And I am finding myself shocked that I'm in the minority in finding Noah (Dominic West) HOT. I would run off with him in a hot minute! And I can definitely see the attraction of Alison to Noah, likewise in Noah to Alison. I just fully understand this affair. What is missing in both of their lives and marriages is so clearly what attracted them to one another. It is fully plausible to me. I do think there are real deep feelings there on both sides.

No, you are not the only one - I think Dominic West is incredibly hot, too.  And I haven't had a bit of trouble accepting that these two people are truly drawn to each other  (I won't use "in love" because I don't even know what it means in this context).   But even though Noah asked Alison to run away with him, I don't get the feeling that he was ever really planning for his marriage to end; I think this was a summer fling for him at just the right time in his life, and he has found a perfect way (the drug dealing) to "honorably" (in his mind) end it.  But Alison, in love or not, really thinks she is - and she is the one who really envisioned a whole new life with him and took the idea of running away seriously.  And we already know that Noah's second book is about an affair that takes place in Montauk, so it makes sense to me that the detective would comb through it for unintentional clues.  

• Love 2

All this episode did was reinforce my love for Joshua Jackson. His scene when he was talking about his pain after his son died, he killed it, amazing. I just sort of forgot most of the rest of the episode after his speech, the rest just left no lasting impression.

All I can say is Diane Kruger you are one lucky woman!

• Love 5

But even though Noah asked Alison to run away with him, I don't get the feeling that he was ever really planning for his marriage to end; I think this was a summer fling for him at just the right time in his life, and he has found a perfect way (the drug dealing) to "honorably" (in his mind) end it.

Noah showed no intention of ending it before he discovered the drug dealing. He had even proposed shacking up with Alison for a month at an artist colony. (Sure, it was a starry-eyed fantasy with Cole undead, but it's revealing of the REM state of his waking mind.)

Noah loved his wife. Noah had no intention, at the time, of leaving his wife. Noah was in love with Alison. These three statements can all be completely true and perfectly consistent with one another (without even invoking the existence of a parallel universe). What we do know for certain is that within a few years, Noah and Helen separated, but that Noah did not return to Alison. There are multiple scenarios that could lead to such an outcome, including one in which Helen can no longer abide what she intuits as Noah's continued feelings for Alison, who is concurrently raising a child with Cole. Stay tuned.

Cole, just let her go, she's not worth it! Alison, Cole is not good for you, just leave him!

I don't like anyone in this show, except Ellen and maybe the detective. I'm watching this show for Joshua Jackson and he's doing a great job here, but I can't say I like Cole that much, even after that heart-wrenching scene in NY. Still, I have to say that the Lockharts are the most compelling characters in The Affair and I wish they showed more of that terrible toxic family than the cheaters and their boring angst.

Noah is still the worst and he gets zero sympathy from me, even if he really is in love with Alison. 

Sadly, I don't think the affair is over.

My first reaction after watching this episode was: "Wow. They REALLY reacted very well, considering they just found out their spouses cheated on them." However, though I still can understand the reasons behind Cole's reaction, I have an hard time understading Helen's. As much as she could have suspicions or be broken hearted, it was still off, imho. Who knows, maybe she's hurt but not THAT hurt because she had/is having an affair too, as others pointed out. 

Why on earth the detective didn't ask for a reservation under Bailey? Or even Lockhart?

In any case, it's been implied several times that something was going on between Scotty and Whitney. If so (and I am sure it is), it's the only motive Noah can have, and that I can think of, for killing Scotty. Even though, so far, I really cannot see him as a potential killer.

I can't say the same for Alison, though. The way she appears in her own versions almost doesn't match with the way she is in Noah's, let alone with the phone scene outside the Police Department mentioned above (and I think that the investigation scenes are the only ones supposed to show us the two main characters objectively). In her versions, she looks always very fragile. But in Noah's, as well as at the PD, she is much more stronger and practical.

That's why I'm wondering if the flashbacks we're now seeing are still versions they gave to the detective and not just their memories. For several reasons:

-I found really hard to believe that, basically, both Noah and Alison confessed their affair the very same day(s).

-You can like Noah or not, but I highly doubt that he would've said Cole (paraphrasing): "Thanks for the parental advice, call me when you'll have a teenage son." Considering he knows Cole and Alison lost a child it would've been a very rude and hearltess thing to say, even for Noah.

-The fact that Noah's daughter almost choked and that Alison saved her it's only in Alison's version (in Noah's, it's him who saves his own daughter), hence either she's been saved by Noah (and if so, Helen wouldn't have any reason to thank her) or by Alison, like she said. And I agree that the whole scene at the store was weird (since, according to the confirmed timeline, it occured before Helen finds out Alison is Noah's mistress): even prior to affair's confession, Helen has been shown to underestimate Alison (she said Max something like: "The waitress? You can do better than that"), so I really don't know how to read it. I guess it will have much more significance once we'll have more details.

-No matter if Noah saw Alison from the window or not, in his version Helen was still mad enough at him to not even enjoy the family hug, while in Alison's version they were all together, happily hugging. Granted, it could just be Alison's perception of the scene she was seeing.

But I wonder if all these differences aren't suggesting there's something else, mystery related.

Edited by penelope79

A few episodes back, the detective gives Alison a cigarette break, she took the time to make a very short, tense phone call to someone about "being interrogated at the station". She immediately hangs up when the detective follows her outside and she ends up not getting much of a break anyway. 

I like to think of the flash forwards as real time, they aren't memories affected by the usual fallacies. I don't know why those scenes would appear under Alison's version, perhaps it was a convenient break in the narrative to place them there. Was the receptionist bought off by Noah?

I agree that the flash forwards are real time, including the detective's actions. However, the fact that the detective's actions are now being inserted into Noah/Alison's memories is an odd break in the narrative and I'm not crazy about it. If it is a way of offering up some clues, then perhaps we will see more of it but I hesitate to take a lot of this at face value.

Was the receptionist bought off by Noah? Perhaps but there is still the lingering question of why the detective didn't also ask for the names Bailey or Lockhart. 

My first reaction after watching this episode was: "Wow. They REALLY reacted very well, considering they just found out their spouses cheated on them." However, though I still can understand the reasons behind Cole's reaction, I have an hard time understading Helen's. As much as she could have suspicions or be broken hearted, it was still off, imho. Who knows, maybe she's hurt but not THAT hurt because she had/is having an affair too, as others pointed out. 

Why on earth the detective didn't ask for a reservation under Bailey? Or even Lockhart?

In any case, it's been implied several times that something was going on between Scotty and Whitney. If so (and I am sure it is), it's the only motive Noah can have and that I can think of for killing Scotty. Even though, so far, I really cannot see him as a potential killer.

I can't say the same for Alison, though. The way she appears in her own versions almost doesn't match with the way she is in Noah's, let alone with the phone scene outside the Police Department mentioned above (and I think that the investigation scenes are the only ones supposed to show us the two main characters objectively). In her versions, she looks always very fragile. But in Noah's, as well as at the PD, she is much more stronger and practical.

That's why I'm wondering if the flashbacks we're now seeing are still versions they gave to the detective and not just their memories. For several reasons:

-I found really hard to believe that, basically, both Noah and Alison confessed their affair the very same day(s).

-You can like Noah or not, but I highly doubt that he would've said Cole (paraphrasing): "Thanks for the parental advice, call me when you'll have a teenage son." Considering he knows Cole and Alison lost a child it would've been a very rude and hearltess thing to say, even for Noah.

-The fact that Noah's daughter almost choked and that Alison saved her it's only in Alison's version (in Noah's, it's him who saves his own daughter), hence either she's been saved by Noah (and if so, Helen wouldn't have any reason to thank her) or by Alison, like she said. And I agree that the whole scene at the store was weird (since, according to the confirmed timeline, it occured before Helen finds out Alison is Noah's mistress): even prior to affair's confession, Helen has been shown to underestimate Alison (she said Max something like: "The waitress? You can do better than that"), so I really don't know how to read it. I guess it will have much more significance once we'll have more details.

-No matter if Noah saw Alison from the window or not, in his version Helen was still mad enough at him to not even enjoy the family hug, while in Alison's version they were all together, happily hugging. Granted, it could just be Alison's perception of the scene she was seeing.

But I wonder if all these differences aren't suggesting there's something else, mystery related.

I think that there is something else - mystery related - to it because of the inclusion of the detective's real time scenes in their recollections. Noah suggests that the detective read his book and we see the detective (wearing a wedding ring) doing just that. He shows up at The End asking for Solloway after Noah has denied being there.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 1

Does anyone have this recorded and can rewind that shop sequence?  I could have sworn that Helen thanked Alison for saving her daughter and then Alison said something like "But I didn't" and then Helen said something like, "You're right, you didn't" and then smiled and walked away. 

That would be a strange recollection by Alison but I may have heard this entirely wrong.

Does anyone have this recorded and can rewind that shop sequence?  I could have sworn that Helen thanked Alison for saving her daughter and then Alison said something like "But I didn't" and then Helen said something like, "You're right, you didn't" and then smiled and walked away. 

That would be a strange recollection by Alison but I may have heard this entirely wrong.

I was curious, too.

That's what they say:

Helen: "Listen, I never thanked you."

Alison: "For what?"

Helen: "For what you did for my daughter the day she choked."

Alison: "Oh, it was nothing."

Helen: "No, it wasn't."

• Love 1

I really dislike both Cole and Helen.  I find them both to be snobbish and not nice people.

I didn't like Cole's nasty comment regarding Brooklyn; yes, Cole one of the things that really screw up a city are DRUGS, which YOU deal.  Asshole.

I didn't like Helen's issue with Alison being a waitress.  What job does Helen have?  Did she make it on her own, or did daddy help her?  What a witch.  

• Love 3

I continue to really enjoy the twists and turns this show takes. I'm all on board.

It pleases me that they've both been outed at this stage of the series. Now the fallout starts. That should be fun.

Looking up Noah's and Helen's addresses is such a bad idea, and yet a wholly understandable one from somebody as young as Alison's buddy. Not that I've ever done anything like that myself, of course. Nosirree bob.

Heaven help me, I'm loving Max. In real life, I'd hate him with the heat of a thousand suns, but here, his essential douchebaggery is downright delightful.

All that said, that was some janky-assed editing for the Cole-Alison curb scene. Very sloppy continuity. First her dress is unzipped, then not. In one camera angle, her head is on his shoulder, her hand stroking his back, in the other, they're separated by several inches. I get that in heavy emotional scenes the actors are in the moment, but somebody on set ought to be paying attention to that. Because it it's jarring enough to pull my focus as an audience member, the brunt of Cole's I-can't-count-high-enough speech is muted.

And no fucking kidding, Tara's right about Alison's getting pregnant being The Worst Idea Ever. Sperm competition, on an Olympic level!