Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

Recently discovered L'ham de Foc, a musical collaboration between two Valencian musicians. They take musical forms from all over the Iberian peninsula.  So if you like sort of medieval, Andalusian and almost Celtic sounds...

• Love 1

I finished listening to Ariana Grande's new album. I think you can put thank u, next and sweetener together and come up with a similar number of strong singles as compared to her first few albums. It's a little filler-y. But more music is better than less. Once I've gotten through the album, I mainly listen to the songs I prefer anyway.

In a grunge kinda mood, so I am listening to Mad Season and the song "Wake Up". It was a band made up of members of Pearl Jam (guitarist Mike McCready), Alice in Chains (Layne Staley being one of the two vocalists) and Screaming Trees (with Mike Lanegan as the other vocalist), among others. They only released one album, "Above", in 1995 due to many internal issues culminating with Staley's death and the death of guitarist John Baker Saunders. The cover art for the album was also done by Layne Staley, based off a picture of him and his late girlfriend/fiancé. As an aside a deluxe version was released in 2013 with some tracks that were to be used on a second album.

• Love 1

I finished listening to Betty Who's new album Betty. It's good but I don't like the majority of the songs the way I feel like her other albums were all full of strong songs. It's a weird case where if she'd given the song to someone else, I would probably count it as a good song. Like if it was a Taylor Swift song or something. But because I know what she's capable of, a lot of the tracks were just... fine. 

I also listened to Rozzi's new album Bad Together. I LOVED it. I already liked her music. But especially in light of the albums I've been listening to lately, this was even better. If you like specific, confessional pop/singersongwriter music, I think you'd like it. It's like Julia Michaels' Inner Monologue in content but with the songwriting of Dua Lipa. But better. I only liked a couple singles from Dua Lipa's album. I think this one is full of strong tracks. My only criticism is that for some reason, her vocals are very one-note. It's not like there aren't dynamics or like she doesn't have particular vocal stylings but for some reason I don't get the sense of it. It might also be that the melodies for a lot of the songs are not that complicated but a lot of pop music is like that. 

• Love 1

Been playing Vampire Weekend's new album Father of the Bride a lot this week, and I'm pretty much in love with the song "This Life" right now. The band did a performance of that song a few nights ago on Fallon, with Haim helping out, and it's incredibly fun:

Batushka are back! The creator recently had a court win over the people who tried edging him out and nicking the band from him, so now he's hopefully free to continue making creepy creepy black metal.

Amusingly though, even on my first time listening I found I was nodding my head at just the right moments. The music isn't complex. It doesn't need to be. It's good. If you're into metal, go listen.

• Love 1

I listened to BETSY's self-titled album. It took a while to get through it. It was mentioned on a podcast. Either Who Weekly or Keep It. Probably the former. Anyway, it was fine. Certainly not a new obsession. She sounds a little bit like a bad Cher impersonator or like Alicia Bridges except I do not believe that this is what her voice naturally sounds like. She feels like she's pushing down weirdly which gives the music a weird artificial quality like it's being sung by a robot or someone who speaks English as a second or even third language. The songs are pretty meaningless. In generally it sounds like some stuff I like but more generic and hollow. There's no heart and no thoughtfulness. 

On 4/20/2019 at 10:47 AM, adhoc said:

The concert was in honor of Alla Pugacheva, who sang the song originally 25 years ago.  The song was written by Igor Krutoy, who is the pianist accompanying Dimash.  There's a longer introduction where Igor is introducing the song and Dimash, and saying that he thinks that Dimash is the perfect person from the current generation to sing the song.

It's become my favorite of all of Dimash's songs.  And that last sustained note is insane.

• Love 1

I listened to Samantha Jade's album Nine. Sometimes stuff comes up on Spotify Discover but I don't bother to listen to someone's whole discography until later even though I like one single. This is one of those times. 

If you like Ariana Grande, Mariah Carey, and Tori Kelly... well, her stuff is not as good. But if you were like what if someone from The Cheetah Girls or Fifth Harmony was good enough to have a solo career... then yes, you might like Samantha Jade. It falls off towards the end but it was pretty good if you like that really light soprano R&B but VERY pop. More like Fifth Harmony and early Ariana than anything else I mentioned. 

I’ll give her a try.

I haven’t heard all of Pink’s latest album but I just heard “Love Me Anyway”, a duet with Chris Stapleton.

It’s a pretty song, a nice ballad, with Chris adding certain vocal flourishes here and there. It’s interesting because this is kind of how female singers are commonly used on a songs by men, especially to contrast their voices. Pink’s singing is light and Chris’ soulful Country growl adds a nice touch. Still, I sort of feel like he was underused. It wasn’t a real merging of pop and country, like Christina Aguilera and Blake Shelton on “Just A Fool”. But Pink is nothing if not steady, and savvy, so I think she was aiming for — another Christina reference — “Say Something” by A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera, where Christina has a slightly muted, almost incorporeal presence. 

• Love 1

I really like Pink, but, even though I am also a country music fan, must be one the few who isn't a Chris Stapleton fan.  I'm not sure why.  I get the whole songwriter thing with him, but,.....IDK.  I'm just not impressed with his body of work, although, he's okay.  He is limited vocally, and I think that affected the song Love Me Anyway, though, it may be the kind of song that grows on you.   

Silver Raven - Have you heard "Know" (Ascolta La Voce) yet?  If you can catch one of the fan cam versions, where you really get a sense of the live performance, it's literally out of this world.  It's hypnotic.

(Studio version is okay, but not as good, in my opinion.)

Wanna blow your mind?   Try this link to the 3 main versions of "Know" that were posted on YouTube. (Studio version plus night 1 and night 2 of live performance--was it in Moscow?)

Snarky Tart--are you still posting here? I see that you post on Youtube as well! 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, adhoc said:

Silver Raven - Have you heard "Know" (Ascolta La Voce) yet?  If you can catch one of the fan cam versions, where you really get a sense of the live performance, it's literally out of this world.  It's hypnotic.

(Studio version is okay, but not as good, in my opinion.)

Wanna blow your mind?   Try this link to the 3 main versions of "Know" that were posted on YouTube. (Studio version plus night 1 and night 2 of live performance--was it in Moscow?)

Snarky Tart--are you still posting here? I see that you post on Youtube as well! 

Haven't checked those yet, I will, though.

It seems like there are at least three different videos of the same Love is Like a Dream performance, shot from different angles.

• Love 1
On 5/20/2019 at 8:45 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I really like Pink, but, even though I am also a country music fan, must be one the few who isn't a Chris Stapleton fan.  I'm not sure why.  I get the whole songwriter thing with him, but,.....IDK.  I'm just not impressed with his body of work, although, he's okay.  He is limited vocally, and I think that affected the song Love Me Anyway, though, it may be the kind of song that grows on you.   

Chris is a talented songwriter, but I do feel like there’s a keening familiarity to him that can make him seem a little...ordinary. Ho-hum. Like there are probably duds that look and sing just like him all over the country, but for some reason he’s the saving grace of Country music.

He played the Nashville game for a long time, so I can’t knock him too much. But he’s an example of my Adele theory. Regular looking people who can sing and have good songs can sell records. People try too hard to promote attractiveness and popularity and it only sometimes works. Chris looks and dresses like a mountain man, he’s approaching middle age, has a huge beard, and isn’t particularly compelling. He doesn’t get played on the radio. But yet, he’s one of the most successful Country artists of the last five years. 

• Love 1
On 5/11/2019 at 4:24 AM, Annber03 said:

Been playing Vampire Weekend's new album Father of the Bride a lot this week, and I'm pretty much in love with the song "This Life" right now. The band did a performance of that song a few nights ago on Fallon, with Haim helping out, and it's incredibly fun:

Not that I don't like "Harmony Hall," but I was happy when I first heard "This Life," because it sounds more like the Vampire Weekend I fell in love with 10+ years ago.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Not that I don't like "Harmony Hall," but I was happy when I first heard "This Life," because it sounds more like the Vampire Weekend I fell in love with 10+ years ago.

Heh, yeah, there are a few songs on the new album that had to take a few listens for me as well. There's some definite changes to their style, for sure. I liked "Harmony Hall" from the get-go, but I've found a whole new appreciation for it in the context of the album as a whole. 

But yeah, the more you listen to the album, the easier it is to still see elements of the band's typical style running throughout, even with all the other changes throughout. "This Life", though, first time I heard it I knew it was going to be a total earworm for me and indeed, I've lost count of how many times I've played that song in recent weeks :D. 

Listened to Miley Cyrus's new EP, She Is Coming.  Did anyone else even know it existed? 

I thought she was done with the hip-hop thing, but apparently not. 

12 hours ago, Shakma said:

Listened to Miley Cyrus's new EP, She Is Coming.  Did anyone else even know it existed? 

I thought she was done with the hip-hop thing, but apparently not. 

When her last album, Younger Now, was released, Miley said:

But I also love that new Kendrick [Lamar] song [‘Humble’]: ‘Show me somethin’ natural like ass with some stretch marks.’ I love that because it’s not ‘Come sit on my dick, suck on my cock.’ I can’t listen to that anymore,” she said. “That’s what pushed me out of the hip-hop scene a little. It was too much ‘Lamborghini, got my Rolex, got a girl on my cock’ — I am so not that.

And then the album didn't even go gold. Bangerz was triple platinum. Back to hip hop it is.

9 minutes ago, GaT said:

And then the album didn't even go gold. Bangerz was triple platinum. Back to hip hop it is.

The sad thing is, it doesn't even sound like she is having any fun, on this album.  She sings about how drugs are making her numb, and RuPaul shows up to say the word "pussy" 500 times.  The whole thing strikes me as half-assed. 

I'm listening to the new fake Batushka album. It's terrible! I hate it so much! Even outside the moral issue*, it's just too catchy. Seriously, the first album and second real one have this feel to them. Kind of eerie, designed to pull you in. Not grab you by the ears and make you tap your toes. Some of these tracks feel like they're supposed to be released as singles.

If this was a new Polish black metal band, or even a Batushka side project, I might accept it. Might even like it. But given that its very existence tarnishes the Batushka name, I'm deeply offended.

Short version: guy has idea for a band. Meets another guy who can make it happen. Other guy recruits a bunch of his friends. They release album and go on tour. Then kick out original guy. Legal battle ensues, both guys use the name to release new albums. The one by the original guy is more like the first one and is better than the other guy's one.

9 hours ago, 27bored said:

Something made me go and listen to Anna Wintour by Azealia Banks...

The only thing I know about Azealia Banks is that she's always in a fight with someone, so I'm surprised to find out she can actually sing.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GaT said:

The only thing I know about Azealia Banks is that she's always in a fight with someone, so I'm surprised to find out she can actually sing.

Me too! When I first heard this I was like, “whoa!” Not only can she sing but she has a classic dance diva voice. Big, gospel-tinged, bawdy. And at least on this song, she can flow as a rapper.

If only she weren’t so problematic.

Lewis Capaldi, "Someone You Loved".  Beautiful voice, beautiful song.  The music video is shattering and will make you cry, but I think its own emotional impact takes away from the impact of the song itself.  This is a live version.

On 6/15/2019 at 1:47 AM, Neko said:

The sad thing is, it doesn't even sound like she is having any fun, on this album.  She sings about how drugs are making her numb, and RuPaul shows up to say the word "pussy" 500 times.  The whole thing strikes me as half-assed. 

Y’know, this might be one for the UO thread, but I’ve always felt like Miley’s hip-hop phase was unfairly maligned. She was a young girl, had been a cog in the Disney machine, and then did the pop star thing. I can’t blame her for wanting to experiment with her sound and do something young and fun and rebellious. And hip-hop who called it cultural appropriation were just ragging on her, in part, because she beefed with Nicki Minaj. Plus, she was kinda good at it.

I think Miley messed up when she started smoking pot and acting ratchet outside the confines of her music for no reason. It just started looking like she was spinning out of control and was embarrassing herself. Exhibit A-Z:

Miley, you’re standing on stage...calling strangers motherfuckers...telling them to eat your pussy...dressed like a butterfly.

I just...

I just heard this song for the first time & I'm blown (no pun intended) away. This is Ed Sheeran, ED SHEERAN singing. The song also features Chris Stapleton, & Bruno Mars. The video is odd because it's women lip-syncing the song (first woman is Ed, 2nd is Chris, 3rd is Bruno) so my brain is spazzing trying to understand the voices coming out of the wrong mouths, but it's a good song. I just can't get over Ed Sheeran being able to rock like that.

17 hours ago, GaT said:

I just heard this song for the first time & I'm blown (no pun intended) away. This is Ed Sheeran, ED SHEERAN singing. The song also features Chris Stapleton, & Bruno Mars. The video is odd because it's women lip-syncing the song (first woman is Ed, 2nd is Chris, 3rd is Bruno) so my brain is spazzing trying to understand the voices coming out of the wrong mouths, but it's a good song. I just can't get over Ed Sheeran being able to rock like that.

I hate to be a douche, but I wasn’t impressed. Maybe I’m too interested in how songs are put together, so I kinda pick stuff apart, but that sounded way too [insert verse]. By that I mean it sounds like Ed had a verse and chorus, then Chris and Bruno just added their verses to the song. One of the great things about rock posse cuts, traditionally speaking, is that they recorded these types of songs together with a live band.

I enjoy all three artists, and this song could’ve been great had it been done by any of them solo, but together it just sounds a little by-the-numbers. I will agree, though, that I’ve never heard Ed rock like that. 

You know what I would’ve liked? This same song with him, Harry Styles, and Mick Jagger. Free A&R advice from 27bored!

I finally listened to Sara Bareilles' new album Amidst the Chaos. Of course I'm biased. I have loved her since Little Voice. There are tracks I already like and I'm sure the others will grow on me but it's definitely quieter and more singer/songwriter than pop. There aren't a lot of strong hooks. She's been trending in this direction aside from Waitress but even The Light (Kaleidoscope Heart) and the slower tracks on Blessed Unrest are pop-ier than this. It's not that the songs are low energy. You could argue that plenty of her other songs are somber or low energy. But these new songs just don't have the same structure. That said, this album does feel a little tired. There's some Adele and Fiona Apple and Sara herself but she sounds kind of worn out in the performance and the arrangement and melody of the songs. It feels like an album that probably sounds better when she performs it live. I did like Armor.