Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual American Music Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yeah....wow. Diana Ross is annoying.

She still can sing, bless her, but her schtick is annoying as hell. She didn't know what to do with her Muppet-esque wrap, probably asked to descend a staircase but looked spooked doing it, and waved and called out to the crowd like your great aunt making a big show out of arriving late at the annual BBQ....all the while pushing her massive wig out of her face (her signature?)

And her monologue during the video? WTH was she going on about? Can she not express herself coherently without sounding like a rambling Hallmark card? Everything happens for a reason, I love everything and everyone, it's a journey, blablabla, we get it.

I couldn't handle her and the grandkids. If you want the whole family up there dancing around you, tell them beforehand. This just looked awkward.

I don't know her life story, but I've seen Mary Wilson in interviews and heard some of the beef...and I get it. Lady thinks her it don't stink and walked over close friends to become an icon. Kinda hard to buy her humility after that.

If she had come out confidently and sung and said a simple thank you and acknowledged the Supremes I would have liked it more.

That Whitney Houston tribute was the absolute worst. Christina sounded almost as bad as Whitney did towards the end of her life. Pink's 2nd-hand embarrassment reaction shot during "I Will Always Love You" was the best part of it. What happened to Christina? That dress was so unflattering and her face looked puffed from bad fillers. Her voice sounded like someone was strangling Kermit The Frog.

Didn't know Xtina was doing a Whitney tribute tonight but it was only a matter of time - she did a hologram duet with her a year or so ago, right? Her voice hasn't been okay since the birth of her son, really, in large part because she still wants to sing the way she did when she was 20. She hasn't taken care of her instrument at all. Bums me out. You know they cut to Pink because of their old feud... crafty producers. Aguilera's people tried to demand she get the high climactic riffs in Lady Marmalade and Pink had to speak up to oppose them. She lost, obviously, but now has a voice in better shape.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 3

I think Christina did well during the tribute. The audience seemed moved by it, including Pink. Lame social media trying to cause drama. I feel bad now for being annoyed with Selena lip syncing since I just found out she had a kidney transplant. Good for her for going out there and performing, despite likely being exhausted from lupus. 

Shawn Mendes is so freaking adorable. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, twoods said:

The audience seemed moved by it, including Pink. Lame social media trying to cause drama.

I watched it live. She did make that stinkface at first, as the "I will Always Love You" portion was bad karaoke at best. Once she caught wind that the producers were cutting to her, she started smiling politely. And most of the reaction shots were cut to people looking bored or second-hand embarrassed.

I think Christina is a good singer, but this was a trash performance, IMO. Whitney deserved better. I wish they had Clarkson do the tribute instead.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 1

Pink's aerial performance was amazing! And she has such a strong voice...I really enjoyed it, at the same time feeling scared for her!  Yikes!  I enjoyed seeing Diana Ross, she still looks the Diva, and her Grandchildren are so cute, especially the little guy who had hair like his Grandma and was having fun dancing :)

• Love 3

Pink, Kelly and Gaga were good & seeing Diana of course. The Korean boyband, BTS, was a lot of fun, I've missed pop stars dancing well on stage. Christina would've been alright if she didn't try to do runs all the time and do them badly. Selena barely even tried. At least she could have lipsynced better.

Edited by KatWay
  • Love 1

Just watched the Whitney tribute and it was fine. Not a mess. Xtina's sounded worse.

I hate singers yelling out at the crowd to get up. MAKE them get up! Sing them up! Don't demand it. Earn it.

And her "my idol" proclamations were dumb. Obviously she's your idol.

Apparently Pink is saying she and Xtina made up last year. She still made a face though...

2 hours ago, Readalot said:

Watching on the West Coast, it was interrupted at the end. What did Diana’s daughter say after “no apologies...”? 

Just repeating Readalot's question:  What did Rhonda (Diane's daughter) say when our affiliates cut away to local news???  Anyone?

13 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Did Keith Urben automatically Get all the country music awards because he showed up and none of the other country performers did?

I always thought winners were previously notified of their win to ensure their attendance, which would also explain the lack of also-rans in the audience.

19 hours ago, twoods said:

Shawn Mendes is so freaking adorable. 

Yes, yes he is.  Plus, he can actually sing.  I am old enough to be his grandma but I do have an old lady crush on him.

I loved the Diana Ross segment and her grandchildren were adorable.  I also loved Kelly Clarkson's giddy reaction to the one kid's dancing like a young Michael Jackson.  It was a nice way to end the show with all her family standing on stage with her.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, jmonique said:

I'm catching up on this now on Hulu. The sound mix is dreadful. Was it this bad live last night?

I also watched it last night on Hulu and thought the sound was shockingly bad. The very beginning of every single performance was nearly inaudible and they corrected it halfway through. 

Pink and Kelly Clarkson opened the show with Everybody Hurts. It was alright, but it felt too mannered. And I’m not a fan of that song as a performance song. It works as a record, but I don’t want to hear a tribute don’t to it.

There were some really lovely parts of this and I'd like to hear them do it again, but between the horrible sound mixing and some kind of oddness with their duet parts, it wasn't as good as it could have been. It almost seemed like they hadn't rehearsed together and were taking cues from a teleprompter or something, there were some really strangely placed pauses in there. 

Just watched the Whitney tribute and it was fine. Not a mess. Xtina's sounded worse.

It was an okay performance. Not a complete disaster, but off in spots and not hitting that big note in I will always love you will automatically stand out. 

It also suffered in comparison because I'd just happened to catch the last 15 minutes of The Bodyguard* on cable about a half hour before watching this and Whitney's version is so memorable. 

*What a cheesefest that movie was. I saw it in middle school and I'm sure I thought it was the most romantic thing ever...it doesn't hold up as an adult. 

I fell asleep before the ending so I didn't get to see Diana's performance, but I'd seen tiny clips it on the internet. Having those stairs was definitely a bad idea, she looked terrified trying to get down those without falling or tripping on the wrap. 

ETA: watching it on youtube now and this:

Aw, kids! I loved Jamie Foxx dorkily dancing to Ease on Down and his daughter looking at him like "Oh DAD!" But even better, Kelly Clarkson's gleeful reaction to Diana Ross's grandson dancing behind her and upstaging her for a hot minute!

was fabulous. The man has clearly done that dance before, more than once, lol. I kinda wish there was a split screen through the whole thing, the audience reactions were great. 

I liked the family going up there with her, that's fitting for a lifetime achievement. The boy in the back was having the time of his life. 

On unrelated note, it amuses me to no end that lip-syncing, hoe-downing, no singing talent Ashlee Simpson is now related to a legend like Diana Ross.

Edited by ljenkins782
  • Love 1

I tuned in and out a few times to various strange things.

Taylor Swift playing the role of Beyonce to start.  Same costumes.  Same moves.  Same back up dancers.  Same smoke and lighting.  I like T-Swift but I like her a lot better when she is doing T-Swift.  Stay in your lane, gurl, it's what works for you best.

Tracee Ellis Ross yelling and screaming and acting a fool.  And I like Tracee, too.  But calm down, woman.  I suppose her energy does work for a show like this but she needed to build up to it a bit as the show progressed.  Starting at mock 10 in the opening was just too much for me to watch.  B12 shot is right.

Mariah singing/lip synching?  Was she singing?  Was she lip synching?  To me all it sounded like was whispering.  I could barely hear her.  And whatever corset-like garment she was wearing as an underpinning was giving her a really weird square bulge in the front of her dress.  Satin is a bitch and forgiving on nobody.

Post Malone and his face tats.  Why?  Been hearing his songs a lot and like a bunch of them, LOVE Better Now, but was sad to see that he is a guy with face tats.  Did I read his face wrong or does it actually say "always tired" under his eyes?  Oh Boy.  Gave me a chuckle.  Bless his heart.  I don't know if "always tired" is really street cred worthy. 

Tracee Ellis Ross introducing bro and sis-in-law who then proceed to give some really awkward, unfunny banter about how Tracee gets all of the good clothes from Mom Diana and how Evan reallly wants that one jacket bad. 

That's all I got.

• Love 2

SOooo Maany OFF KEY performances! That girl in the red feathered dress was worse than Selena Gomez! Where's Simon Cowell when you need him? There was no effort in their singing. It's like to hell with everything else.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

SOooo Maany OFF KEY performances! That girl in the red feathered dress was worse than Selena Gomez! Where's Simon Cowell when you need him? There was no effort in their singing. It's like to hell with everything else.

Maybe its the new "some performances will be in new Dolby blah blah blah".  

2 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

Nice speech by a Taylor.  

Yes! I'm not a huge fan of hers, but, she tends to praise others before herself (good) AND she gave Carol King props....good since she is royalty and so unimpressed with herself. I like her more after seeing that acceptance speech.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes! I'm not a huge fan of hers, but, she tends to praise others before herself (good) AND she gave Carol King props....good since she is royalty and so unimpressed with herself. I like her more after seeing that acceptance speech.

So true she did give credit to King which was awesome.  I’ve always thought Swift really appreciates her fans. The Swifties are very loyal.  She also has been through a lot with her Mom’s illness.

uhm what was up with Twain’s hair?

Edited by Diana Berry
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

uhm what was up with Twain’s hair?

Maybe she was trying to use it to cover up whatever she's done to her face. I wasn't paying attention when Shania first started singing and had the volume down low. I only realized it was her when I turned it up and heard one of her well known songs.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Jaded said:

Maybe she was trying to use it to cover up whatever she's done to her face. I wasn't paying attention when Shania first started singing and had the volume down low. I only realized it was her when I turned it up and heard one of her well known songs.

She definitely did not need all that plastic surgery. She was an attractive woman before that. Same with Christina Aguilera and Toni Braxton. That surgery only make you look like everyone else in Hollywood  and ages you more than your actual age. They should leave it alone. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

She definitely did not need all that plastic surgery. She was an attractive woman before that. Same with Christina Aguilera and Toni Braxton. That surgery only make you look like everyone else in Hollywood  and ages you more than your actual age. They should leave it alone. 

For some reason, even though, they have plenty of money, some celebrities cannot manage to find the excellent doctors who are able to enhance their natural beauty without destroying the face.  Some celebs find them and must not share.  I'm referring to those who get excellent results and don't look horrible, like Barbara Walters, Meryle Streep, Jennifer Aniston, and some others.  I wonder if some celebrities are so used to seeing modified faces, that they don't even recognize that it's messed up.  

• Love 2

I wanted to come back to say that I know Shania is in her mid 50's. Having said that to me her face doesn't look like natural aging with a bad makeup job. I did wonder later on if she's having some health issue which may make her face puffy in an unnatural looking way. I guess there's a part of me that hates to believe some of these people have pay to get results like that even if they aren't the ones which were intended. 

Well it came in on time, so there’s that.  But 19 awards were awarded off air? Yeesh. 

it’s probably the first time I probably watched less than 10 minutes before I stopped. I simply don’t know the majority of the acts.  Seeing Taraji reminds me I will never get to see the real ending to Empire. 

• Love 1

As a boyband fan for always (at 5, it was NE, at 7, it was NKOTB, at 19, it was Nsync, and now 30something yr old me got pulled in by BTS), this was a hell of a night. I cannot tell you the JOY I felt watching the Boston Boyband segment and the night of BTS performances (they did them dirty on the audio with Coldplay, but Butter was sublime) and wins.  The extra treat was watching BTS jam out to New Kids and New Edition, and in turn, watching New Kids dance away to BTS.  Watching fan footage of those in the building, you can feel the energy. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, TrininisaScorp said:

The extra treat was watching BTS jam out to New Kids and New Edition, and in turn, watching New Kids dance away to BTS.  Watching fan footage of those in the building, you can feel the energy. 

I got off the couch and started dancing with BTS.  I tuned in just to see them and New Kids/New Edition and I was not disappointed.  

• Love 2